Menu

February No & Low Spenders! Week 1 (2/1-2/7)

Runningmom80

Today ds#2 needed $22 for the workbook for his maths class & I spent $6 on milk at the dairy. I also spent $23.20 to post a package of HSing materials I sold, but that was already paid by the buyer. I would have spent more in town, except dh rang & told me he needed my car to tow the trailer for a job, so I had to come home. Tomorrow's a public holiday, so it should be a No Spend day, but I need to list ds#2's up-coming fees for sailing & hockey. That total won't be small as he sails for three groups & plays on 3-4 hockey teams. But hopefully I won't have to buy a new school blazer for him as I have contacted a friend who needs a smaller blazer for his 13yos & has one that is too big for his boy that should fit ds#2 just right. If the trade works out it'll save me ~$200!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no spare $$ this month, as we are getting DH's car repaired. I went on a field trip today with our homeschool co-op & they all went out to eat after the show -- I resisted because I had packed a lunch for all of us last night. I just need to prepare properly, and then I'm golden.

2/1 -- $21 gas, $3 parking at show, groceries $114

2/2 -- $14 pizza after chess tournament

2/3 -- $0

2/4 -- $0

Spent the morning shoveling and doing school with the kids, and the afternoon playing & teaching chess.

2/5 -- $80 orthodontist appt

I really, really wanted to stop at IHOP for the free pancakes on the way home from the ortho, but I figured with tip and the donation that they were asking for, it wasn't really free. So we came home and ate...

You know what I'm feeling simply sick about at the moment? I am due for my annual eye exam. Last year, I paid extraordinarily more than usual for my glasses, plus I bought contacts. (I must have both.) But I think my vision has changed; I constantly think I don't have one of my contacts in or something because things are not sharp. So, if my million-dollar glasses are moot one year later, I will pass out. :svengo:

I think I'm going to "cheat" on my regular eye doctor so I can go somewhere inexpensive.

You know what I'm feeling simply sick about at the moment? I am due for my annual eye exam. Last year, I paid extraordinarily more than usual for my glasses, plus I bought contacts. (I must have both.) But I think my vision has changed; I constantly think I don't have one of my contacts in or something because things are not sharp. So, if my million-dollar glasses are moot one year later, I will pass out. :svengo:

I think I'm going to "cheat" on my regular eye doctor so I can go somewhere inexpensive.

I'm giving Zenni Optical online a try for my dd's glasses. They should arrive this week. Dh has used Coastal Contacts online without any problems, but she didn't like any of her choices there. I just bought her glasses in October, but they are all scratched (she had her last pair for 1 year with no problems, so I don't know what happened to these) and her head must've grown because she's been complaining they feel tight.

I did the same thing two years AO I got nice glasses, and prescription sunglasses for driving. I was hoping the sunglasses would last me 4 years, so I could skip a year, but I feel like my prescription changed too. Drat!

Spouse has gone off for a 3 day meeting. I am trying to avoid online shopping.

Um, yes... that's my weakness as well. It's entirely too easy to click "buy" on just about anything!!

Updated totals:

2/1: $253 - groceries/household

2/2: $28 - dinner out

2/3: $7 - Kindle book

2/4: $132 - groceries

2/5: $0

One no-spend day at least!! I'll aim for another this week. So far I've spent $385 on groceries and household, ugh. But hopefully I'll only need to replenish the perishables for the next week or so.

I was reading everyones posts and thinking, I haven't spent much and there have been days I've spent none. Ummm, not exactly. Not sure of exact amounts but I will guess. My goal is to save half of my husbands paychecks. We use cash for most purchases, but I did put some larger things on the credit card (paid off monthly). Our only monthly bills are electric, gym membership, gymnastics for dd6, directv, and the credit card (eta: I bought the kids coats and shoes this month so those will be on there for next month), so this should be doable.

Friday - went to museum, but we have a membership. Ate at Fazoli's $20

Saturday - $20 for Steve Spangler science experiment books at hobby lobby, $60 for dinner out with DH ( I refused to share my cheesecake, so we had to get 2, hahaha) and $7 for a piano guy kids book total $87

Sunday $0

Monday $0

Tuesday Burger King with kids $12

The rest of the week should just be gymnastics fees for the month...here's to hoping!

Today spent $56 on groceries, $7 on dining out. Not too bad. I am not shooting for a target of no spend days, just overall lower spending.

2/1: $25 new sneakers for DS 6 (cash), $18 art supplies for project (cc)

2/2: $17 curriculum, $11 computer headset for DS' online class, $10 frozen yogurt (cash), $2 photos (cash), $4 tp (cash)

2/3: $33 sneakers for me, $18 sports cup for DS, $40 gas

2/4: $13 Dining out

2/5: $56 groceries (milk, fresh veggies and fruit), $7 dining out, $1 Redbox

Overall Biggies So Far:

Groceries: $269

Curriculum/School-related: $46

ETA: Okay, I feel guilty and so I can back to edit. In the interest of full disclosure, DH threw in a case of Corona for me in the groceries tonight ($18) He heard me moaning that I hadn't had a cold beer in a while (trying to not buy it to save money) and he bought me a case...along with the fruit and milk. :ph34r: Oh, the guilt!!!!

Ooh, I have to tell you what happened yesterday. I was tired. I had a headache. I was recovering from a head cold with lots of sinus pain and headache. I hadn't prepped dinner. There were dishes in the sink and on the counters. It was getting late. The menu said I was making lasagna rolls. I didn't have it in me to put together lasagna rolls. And even if I did grin and bear it, they would have been done close to bedtime.

This typically ends with me either telling DH to order pizza or making a run to Taco Bell.

Instead, I got the dishes into some hot soapy water and pulled together a quick dinner with staples on hand. We ended up having hot dogs (stocked up when on sale for $0.48), homemade macaroni & cheese, and salad with homemade vinaigrette.

I had a blazing headache all day and my body feels like I have the flu, except that I have no other symptoms besides generalized all over muscle pain on top of the sciatica that started Friday. I really almost had to sit down to take a break halfway up the stairs this morning. I am 33 and in reasonably good shape!

I don't know where my earlier post is to copy and paste but here is today's as well as what I know is coming later this week.

2/5 large triple espresso latte and a 5 hour energy.....8.50. I feel bad but not too badly, I haven't bought coffee out since we moved and I no longer have a Starbucks at the end of the street.

2/6 50 gas for car for small roadtrip back to old house

2/7 ?

2/8 175 dumpster rental

Hoping to go shopping for curtains and towel bars this weekend. The shower curtain rod fell off on poor DS yesterday while he was showering so that may need to be replaced as well! :crying:

A so-so day today. Dd had birthday money to spend, so a a trip to town today. We went to 2 Goodwill Stores and to JCPenney. I spent $21 not including gas, but that includes $4 for a cami and $6 for a t-shirt, $5 for a slushee for her and a large bottled water for me (and a 6 pack of mini donuts which we split), and about $5 for a purse and bracelet for dd. She spent about $20. She got a dress, a cami, and a crocheted top, and I think one other thing for her money.

Oh, and I bought ds 16 two pair of flannel pj bottoms for $6, so my actual total was $27 for the day, not including gas.

2/1 $0, 2/2 $0, 2/3 $8, 2/4 $0, 2/5 $0

Nothing today, but tomorrow we'll be spending around $150 to spay and neuter our puppies. I found some fun free library stuff while we're in the city tomorrow, and I'm finishing up some muffins to bring with us so that we don't need to buy breakfast. I wanted to do a picnic lunch, but it looks like it will be too chilly for that. I've got a couple low-cost back-up plans in mind. We also have a couple small necessities that we can use gift cards for Target or Walmart for. It's still spending money, but not out of our bank account. :)

Goals:

Groceries (including all household items): $97/$700

Medical: $30/$100 (This is the month we need a buy our kids' medications!)

Gas: $97/$550 (This is a KILLER!!)

Kids' activities: $280/$1700 (Again, this month is a KILLER - payments for rowing, gymnastics, orchestra, and karate are all due. But, it's all budgeted.)

Things I'm going to try to curb this month and I hope to bank the difference in our vacation account:

Eating out: 0!!!

Coffee: 0!!!

Extra income (hopefully!):

Goal: $78/$400

(Dh occasionally gets "tips" for his services as a priest - wedding, funerals, etc. He has a funeral next week. I also hope to sell some things on line. And, that will be banked in our vacation account!!)

Updated above. Dh's car needed gas. And, I signed the kids up for spring karate ($250) and a spring regatta ($30). I was tempted to run to the store yesterday and pick up one thing we were missing for a recipe I had. Instead I figured something else out to make!

Ooh, I have to tell you what happened yesterday. I was tired. I had a headache. I was recovering from a head cold with lots of sinus pain and headache. I hadn't prepped dinner. There were dishes in the sink and on the counters. It was getting late. The menu said I was making lasagna rolls. I didn't have it in me to put together lasagna rolls. And even if I did grin and bear it, they would have been done close to bedtime.

This typically ends with me either telling DH to order pizza or making a run to Taco Bell.

Instead, I got the dishes into some hot soapy water and pulled together a quick dinner with staples on hand. We ended up having hot dogs (stocked up when on sale for $0.48), homemade macaroni & cheese, and salad with homemade vinaigrette.

VERY good!!!! I'm impressed after all that was thrown at you that you were able to do that.

I was reading everyones posts and thinking, I haven't spent much and there have been days I've spent none. Ummm, not exactly. Not sure of exact amounts but I will guess. My goal is to save half of my husbands paychecks. We use cash for most purchases, but I did put some larger things on the credit card (paid off monthly). Our only monthly bills are electric, gym membership, gymnastics for dd6, directv, and the credit card (eta: I bought the kids coats and shoes this month so those will be on there for next month), so this should be doable.

Saturday - $20 for Steve Spangler science experiment books at hobby lobby, $60 for dinner out with DH ( I refused to share my cheesecake, so we had to get 2, hahaha) and $7 for a piano guy kids book total $87

Sunday $0

Monday $0

The rest of the week should just be gymnastics fees for the month...here's to hoping!

I'm impressed you can save half of your dh's paychecks!!! That's amazing! AFter we finish paying down our mortgage, we'll be able to do that. But that will be a few more years!

So, what have you done that saves you money? More than just not buying that coffee or heading to the local pizza joint when you are desperate. Other things, like turning down the heat. Or hanging your laundry?

Yesterday, my dh found free parking! That was cool. And, I turned the heat down a degree at night. Nobody has noticed! I wonder if that will even make a dent in the HUGE gas/electric bill? I've hung my laundry for years (inside!). I'm taking the difference/amount saved and sticking the cash in our "money bin." My incentive is a Disney cruise. We have one booked for August and if it's not paid off at the due date, we cancel. So, I'm trying to "find" money anywhere I can! Even the boys are getting into it! (We haven't told Meg about the cruise. If we have to cancel she'll be devastated!!!)

Goals:

Groceries (including all household items): $97/$700

Medical: $30/$100 (This is the month we need a buy our kids' medications!)

Kids' activities: $280/$1700 (Again, this month is a KILLER - payments for rowing, gymnastics, orchestra, and karate are all due. But, it's all budgeted.)

Things I'm going to try to curb this month and I hope to bank the difference in our vacation account:

Added stuff we bought that wasn't budgeted: $150 for trip insurance for a trip in August.

Goal: $78/$400

(Dh occasionally gets "tips" for his services as a priest - wedding, funerals, etc. He has a funeral next week. I also hope to sell some things on line. And, that will be banked in our vacation account!!)

Updated above. Dh's car needed gas. And, I signed the kids up for spring karate ($250) and a spring regatta ($30). I was tempted to run to the store yesterday and pick up one thing we were missing for a recipe I had. Instead I figured something else out to make!

In my defense, it really needed to be done! I just forgot. It's in our vacation budget, but I hadn't added it to FEb budget.

Menu planning has made the biggest difference for us. Just having a list on the fridge of things to make for breakfast, lunch, and dinner keeps me from getting take out or going out. It's not that the menu is writ in stone; rather, I view it as a list of suggestions. We also have a well-stocked pantry and freezer and we've made a point of creating menus around those items. Each time I go to the grocery store (every two weeks for the major shopping), I create the grocery list from what ingredients we need to go with the menus; that way I don't get undermined by not having an item that would make or break the plan.

My main downfall is online shopping, so when I feel tempted, I go clean something.

:iagree:

This is saving us between $400 and $700 a month over the daily little trips the Safeway. I make a menu plan, create my list from that, and DH heads to Winco with me. I hate Winco and wouldn't go if DH wasn't going with me. I'm creating my menu plan in a Google calendar by creating two hour time blocks at 8am, 12pm, and 5pm. These aren't the times we eat, just the general time for each meal. I'm using two hour time blocks because it is big enough to show everything. It prints up very nicely and gets put on my fridge. I try to plan my meals around what is happening that day...so easy meals on busy days. Often I switch days around. The other day, I made something not on the plan for the week because nothing on the menu was suitable for the situation so I pulled something fast and easy off with staples.

The other thing we are doing is budgeting for eating out. We told the kids anything we don't spend will go into a fund for a future trip to Disneyland. They don't ask for drive-thru anymore.

Well, I got a lucky perk that saved me about $150.00 today, although it's not something that I could expect or duplicate. :hurray: I called the doctor to change a prescription for my dd and, fortunately, they had 3 months' worth of samples I could have. So - woohooo! I did spend $6.00 and change getting lunch out, but I figured that was a fair trade for saving the dough picking up those samples.

The kids and I just got back from a 2.2 mile walk. :D We walked to the Korean church to pay for the coming semester of Korean language classes ($110) for DS11. Then we stopped at the park on the way home. We saw a bald eagle soaring over the lake at the park a few times (there's a mating pair that lives near my house). Seeing one of them never gets old. Then we came home. Now it is quiet time.

Do I get points for not using gas?

2/6 $17 on dividers, filler paper and white out.....(Amazon) Filed under curriculum/school supplies.

2/6 $32 on protein powder (enough to last me a month at least). I have been feeling super run down the last couple weeks and realized I had run out about 2 weeks ago, so maybe it's related? I had put off buying it in January, but knew I would need to order it sooner or later.

2/6 $75 piano lessons (budgeted)

I am cleaning out filing cabinets this afternoon to make space for new stuff....I don't want to have to buy file boxes. I threw away all of my scrapbooking mag layout inspiration stuff...I have decided to use up the supplies I have and then go to print on demand albums from costco or snapfish.....it'll save $$$ compared to what I've spent on my hobby on the past. It is faster as well.

Spent $45 on printer ink but will get that reimbursed.

spent $3 on one thing of yarn...

other than that, plan to spend a little on son's birthday gift (new phone to replace his very old and feeble one)

Might buy a mattress if we can find a good enough deal-- ours is 18 years old... it's time. LOL

Hubby has threatened to move into a hotel or something if we dont get a new mattress soon. It's in really bad shape.

We spent $60 between lunch and the things we needed from the store. Puppy surgery, plus pain meds, plus cones of shame came to $180. Our free activities at the library were tons of fun, plus we made a quick (cold!) playground stop and ate some yummy homemade muffins. Oh, and we spent $6 on coffee from Panera. Not bad for our only day out of the house this week!

2/1 $0, 2/2 $0, 2/3 $8, 2/4 $0, 2/5 $0, 2/6 $246

2/6 $17 on dividers, filler paper and white out.....(Amazon) Filed under curriculum/school supplies.

2/6 $32 on protein powder (enough to last me a month at least). I have been feeling super run down the last couple weeks and realized I had run out about 2 weeks ago, so maybe it's related? I had put off buying it in January, but knew I would need to order it sooner or later.

2/6 $75 piano lessons (budgeted)

Have you had your iron levels checked recently? The only reason I ask is, I'm eating a vegan diet, and I felt great for the first 9 months, then I started feeling run down. I added protein powder to my green s,potholes every day and also more beans and tofu to my diet, but I still felt like crap. I chalked it up to my kids, but when I went to the dr, I asked him to just run some basic vitamin tests, and I am anemic.

Just thought id throw that out there, because I never would have thought that was what was bringing me down.

As far as the furnace goes....I normally keep it at 64 during the day/60 at night....but with a preemie in the house, I can't let it drop below 68F. As it is, she's wearing double layers and a hat and is swaddled to keep her warm enough. Thankfully we are having a milder sort of winter...but our bill from December was double what is was the previous December....so I do think dropping the thermostat makes a notable difference.

Have you had your iron levels checked recently? The only reason I ask is, I'm eating a vegan diet, and I felt great for the first 9 months, then I started feeling run down. I added protein powder to my green s,potholes every day and also more beans and tofu to my diet, but I still felt like crap. I chalked it up to my kids, but when I went to the dr, I asked him to just run some basic vitamin tests, and I am anemic.

Just thought id throw that out there, because I never would have thought that was what was bringing me down.

Thanks. Yes I am anemic, and have been taking a supplement. The only supplement that doesn't constipate me is Floradix Iron plus Herbs but it is SO DARN expensive I just can't justify it. So I am taking a multi with iron and also eating cereal like Special K that is supplemented. I hope that is helping. Every other supplement is terrible on my digestive system.

Thanks for asking.

I have no spare $$ this month, as we are getting DH's car repaired.

2/1 -- $21 gas, $3 parking at show, groceries $114

2/2 -- $14 pizza after chess tournament

2/3 -- $0

2/4 -- $0

2/5 -- $80 orthodontist appt

2/6 -- $36 groceries, $9 clay for history project, $8 Awanas book, $15 Awanas cars (taken out of grocery budget)

We're getting yet more snow today, so I don't foresee spending any money (although I am researching writing currics for my dd). I only have to take younger 2 kids to dentist today.

ETA: Ooops, I forgot to include all of the $$ I spent at Awanas last night. $8 for a review book for my youngest since she finished hers, and $15 for Grand Prix cars (sigh, these had to come out of the grocery budget since I had completely forgotten about that when I assigned the $$ for the paycheck).

My remaining grocery budget until the 15th is only about $35! EEEEEKKKK! Meals are going to get interesting in my household for the next week.

Ugh, i feel i should bow out gracefully. There is no way this is going to be a low spend month. Just realized we need to pay for ds' hockey tournament and hotel coming upin 2 weeks.

I'm right there with you. I don't think you need to bow out. I think most of us are trying to curb the discretionary spending. I spend close to $300 every month on music lessons for DS, I could definitely cut those out and get closer to "low spending," but that's not my m.o. I'm more concerned with the extravagant target totals and Starbucks runs. :)

Ugh, i feel i should bow out gracefully. There is no way this is going to be a low spend month. Just realized we need to pay for ds' hockey tournament and hotel coming upin 2 weeks.

No, don't go away! I'm really low spend this month on everything except the huge, honkin', budget-busting $800 I have to spend on DH's car. That's my motivation to be tracking all the discretionary items.

Ugh, and just saw that the BRAND NEW HEADPHONES that I ordered for my son's online class are ruined. I thought "Oh my, they must have arrived damaged!" and I even printed out a return slip to Amazon......

......until I saw the fuzzy ear covering in my cat's paws!!! Darn cat chewed the headphones the DAY we received them! Grrrr. So now I need to buy another pair.

ETA: Just called amazon. They said "because of my honesty" that I should keep the refund which had been automatically credited to my account. Wow! That's customer service. I am ordering another pair today...and will keep them away from the cat!

Okay guys, I will stay in, but I am almost embarrased at how much we've spent and how much we are GOING to spend this month. I feel like this thread should be renamed "Financial Accountability" thread instead LOL.

I was actually thinking we should give it a different name. Money managers or something less vague. Lol

Updating....

Sunday $0

Monday $0

Wednesday $0

Thursday $87 for gymnastics ... Hopefully nothing else today.

I like "Financial Accountability" or something similar... because let's face it, some weeks are just not going to be low-spend no matter how much we want them to be!!

Halcyon.... which math app did you buy? (Not that we really need another one, but hey...) And yes, that was really good of Amazon. Honestly, I have found them to usually be pretty helpful and reasonable, which seems unusual for a large company these days!!

I just realized that we overpaid for ds drum lessons last month, so we had a credit of $70 for this month.

So I kind of made $100 today. :)

No spend so far, but DH is going out to get us some popcorn to pop later, and produce to last is to Saturday.

I count that!!! Found money! In our house that goes straight into the vacation fund!

Nothing spent today.

As far as saving money goes I turn my heat off at night and for most of the day. We only have it on from 4pm-8pm most days. That keeps my electric bill under $300 in the winter.

Where do you live? How cold does it get outside? And, how cold does it get at night if you turn off the heat? I've considered that. But, would it cost more to get it back up to our daytime temp than it would just to leave it low at night?

It gets really cold here at night - it's been in the single digits for a while.

We are going out to eat for the first time in 3 weeks tonight. I might hug our waitress or something when food appears in front of me!

So! How'd it go? Did you attack the waitress?

Okay guys, I will stay in, but I am almost embarrased at how much we've spent and how much we are GOING to spend this month. I feel like this thread should be renamed "Financial Accountability" thread instead LOL.

We spend a LOT each month. I've just been using this thread as accountability. I budget at the beginning of the month and try to stick to it. Post on my spending. Knowing I have to post it keeps me on my lists at the stores!!! This month, you can see our budget for the kids' activities below! It's CRAZY!!!

MY UPDATES BELOW

Goals:

Groceries (including all household items): $200/$700

Medical: $90/$100 (This is the month we need a buy our kids' medications!)

Added stuff we bought that wasn't budgeted: $150 for trip insurance for a trip in August, $23 for parking for our August trip (it was cheaper to buy it now!)

Goal: $85/$400

2/6: Saved gas money by combining trips! Meg's gymnastics club is near Sam's Club and a veggie market. I spent $68 at Sam's (on THREE things grrrrrr - all needed and the cheapest place to buy them), and $25 at the veggie market. Also paid for another prescription - $60. But, that included our annual deductible of $50 on that child, so the rest of the year will be cheaper for him.

On the positive side, I sold something else on line!!!