Menu

February No & Low Spenders! Week 1 (2/1-2/7)

Runningmom80

OH MY! OH MY! OH MY!!!!!

I am super-excited!!!

I was talking to my neighbor who is super-weird (kidding!) and actually likes to clean. She has little babies and no time to clean.

She just came over to my house to suggest a BARTER-- she asked me to babysit 2 days a week, and she will clean my house 4-5 hours a week for free. (i'll do the clutter, she will do the CLEANING)

I am super-excited. I hate cleaning, mopping, vacuming and all that stuff....

I think she is getting the raw end of the deal, but she insists she needs a break from her kids and this is better for her.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm pretty proud if myself. I usually get highlights for my bday, but I canceled the appointment and just scheduled an eyebrow wax and a facial, which will be way cheaper. I'm trying to get away from the hair color chemicals anyways, so it just made sense to cancel it.

Oh, man! There you go setting the bar high a week before I go to have my hair done! :leaving: In my defense, my highlights are meant to hide my greys, but my two-step haircolor is making me feel...not frugal. I did ask a friend if she could rec. a place with a better price. She gave me a name and number, but I feel like I should go through with my appointment next week so I don't leave a big hole in my girl's schedule. I might tell her I'm breaking up with her for next time. :tongue_smilie:

P.S. I think it would be great if we named this "Financial Accountability" thread instead and I really hope nobody bails due to spending more than they thought. It is really helping me keep myself honest knowing that I plan to post my spending here for you all to scrutinize! It appeals to my perfectionism. :bored:

I totally bought unnecessary things yesterday. Cookies, because I made the grave mistake of shopping while hungry; a decorating magazine, so I can prove to dh that glass tile backsplashes are current; two Ravens Superbowl tee shirts because I'm from Baltimore, hon; and a bag of York Peppermint Patties - see Excuse #1. :tongue_smilie:

Where do you live? How cold does it get outside? And, how cold does it get at night if you turn off the heat? I've considered that. But, would it cost more to get it back up to our daytime temp than it would just to leave it low at night?

It gets really cold here at night - it's been in the single digits for a while.

I'm in Western Washington and it doesn't get that cold here. Overnight temps are generally in the low 40's. If I turn the heat off around 8pm when I get up at 7:30am it's around 62 in here. Sometimes I turn it on again in the morning for an hour or two to warm it up to 65 then it goes off for the rest of the day. The house usually stays between 64-66 during the day. I have a programmable thermostat but I can't figure out how to program it to be low all night. At some point my DH messed with it and I don't know how to reprogram it. It's easier to just turn it off.

Remember all that money I was saving from changing my insurance?

I backed into a car last night (it was parked on a dark street at the end of my friend's driveway and it didn't show up in my rearview....I was trying to avoid the white car I could see and a PODS unit)....and my deductible just ate it. No damage to my vehicle, and very minor to theirs, but I still need to report it and get my insurance to pay for the repairs.

I am so, so bummed....I totally feel defeated. It's like every time I catch a break, I get stomped on. The accident was my fault, but I just feel like life is out to get me today, you know????

Well, add $16 for lunch for me :(. My husband wanted us all to go with him to look at a job he's bidding tomorrow. It was 1:00 and dd and I hadn't had lunch yet. He proceeds to say him and ds went to subway for lunch. So I made him take dd and I to jimmy johns. Lol. We all got a cookie, and dd and I each got a sub. I don't know how much they spent at subway, as long as DH uses his weekly cash and not the debit card, I don't care ;)

Oh, man! There you go setting the bar high a week before I go to have my hair done! :leaving: In my defense, my highlights are meant to hide my greys, but my two-step haircolor is making me feel...not frugal. I did ask a friend if she could rec. a place with a better price. She gave me a name and number, but I feel like I should go through with my appointment next week so I don't leave a big hole in my girl's schedule. I might tell her I'm breaking up with her for next time. :tongue_smilie:

P.S. I think it would be great if we named this "Financial Accountability" thread instead and I really hope nobody bails due to spending more than they thought. It is really helping me keep myself honest knowing that I plan to post my spending here for you all to scrutinize! It appeals to my perfectionism. :bored:

I totally bought unnecessary things yesterday. Cookies, because I made the grave mistake of shopping while hungry; a decorating magazine, so I can prove to dh that glass tile backsplashes are current; two Ravens Superbowl tee shirts because I'm from Baltimore, hon; and a bag of York Peppermint Patties - see Excuse #1. :tongue_smilie:

Oh no! Don't feel bad. I'm just riding out the last few (hopefully) years without grays before I start needing to do the same. I've been coloring my hair for 14 years!

I, too, hope that nobody leaves out of concern that their numbers aren't virtuous enough! As I've said, I'm not really here for no spend, or low spend, just for mindful spending. I love it when people share victories and ask questions in addition to posting their totals.... that's the really helpful, encouraging stuff!

I've done pretty good on spending this week:

2/4 $0

2/5 $.99 on a sheet of posterboard

2/6 $0

2/7 $? Probably going to Trader Joe's in a couple of hours and I suspect there will be cookies involved! (Confession, but no remorse! :tongue_smilie: )

I'm also curious if anyone here does any kind of crafting that involves recycling or repurposing items? I used to know the term for that craft "movement", but I must have forgotten.....

Remember all that money I was saving from changing my insurance?

I backed into a car last night (it was parked on a dark street at the end of my friend's driveway and it didn't show up in my rearview....I was trying to avoid the white car I could see and a PODS unit)....and my deductible just ate it. No damage to my vehicle, and very minor to theirs, but I still need to report it and get my insurance to pay for the repairs.

I am so, so bummed....I totally feel defeated. It's like every time I catch a break, I get stomped on. The accident was my fault, but I just feel like life is out to get me today, you know????

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry!

Oh no! Don't feel bad. I'm just riding out the last few (hopefully) years without grays before I start needing to do the same. I've been coloring my hair for 14 years!

I just found someone who colors my hair for a fraction of the cost I was getting it done before. I LOVE my new person. Seriously - gorgeous color for $35. Shhhhhhh. Don't tell her it's so cheap!!! I was paying $150 before!!! AND, she's comfortable with curly/wavy hair and doesn't try to get me to straighten it every single time I go in!!

I, too, hope that nobody leaves out of concern that their numbers aren't virtuous enough! As I've said, I'm not really here for no spend, or low spend, just for mindful spending. I love it when people share victories and ask questions in addition to posting their totals.... that's the really helpful, encouraging stuff!

I've done pretty good on spending this week:

2/4 $0

2/5 $.99 on a sheet of posterboard

2/6 $0

2/7 $? Probably going to Trader Joe's in a couple of hours and I suspect there will be cookies involved! (Confession, but no remorse! :tongue_smilie: )

I'm also curious if anyone here does any kind of crafting that involves recycling or repurposing items? I used to know the term for that craft "movement", but I must have forgotten.....

We have a store near here that takes trash and turns it in to craft projects. Organizations can buy the projects really cheap! They travel to the inner city to take the crafts to the kids. They host birthday parties too. It's a really neat place!!

Food Groceries so far this month: $154.93 (I need to go to Costco tomorrow or Saturday, so that will change.)

Non-Food Groceries/Household: $54.69

Clothing Score: 17.59 at Goodwill for ds' four pants, four shorts and one cute baseball tee shirt. This is one good thing about having a boy. A little girl would "have" to have cute clothing and I would be weak. But boys? You've seen one pair of beige cargo pants, you've seen 'em all. :closedeyes:

So, I went to speak with the owner of the car I backed into last night to exchange insurance information in daylight hours....and I guess the car had previous damage (her teenage son drives it) and because she couldn't find any new damage, I don't have to turn it in.

I am SO GRATEFUL!

Because we had to go at suppertime (she was home from work, before dark), I picked up Wendy's on the way home for the kids....broke my pledge of not eating out except for dates, but I'm taking it out of my eating out account. I also picked up some Valentine's Day stuff Wednesday night...need to find the receipt and come back and tally up.

I made a 2 week shopping list and planned out most of the dinners for this pay. I have spent about $200.00 so far. I still need to get some meat. We now have 5 of us always home with a 24 year old home sometimes and our 21 year old and his girlfriend here on some weekends. Our oldest is moving out (2 other dc live far). I don't really buy much or any processed foods. We will see how little I can spend.

• 1 month later...

OK

I admit the name of this thread scared me off!

I did trade a used ds lite for an Ipod 4 8 gig for my dd 13. No gas involved for it, as the guy came to their choir practice :)

I have only spent $42 on groceries this week and $7 on fast food ( usually we have to eat out on Tuesday night after Choir) Usually I only spend $3 on 3 of us.

I am going to a Home school convention today and tomorrow. My friend backed out and I have tried to find a cheaper room but since I used her discount code I would have to pay $25 to cancel the room and that would wipe out any savings on a cheaper room :(

She did offer to pay half the room. I have to drive so far and take my baby ( nursing) so I am just taking 2 other children to help me.

I have a great opportunity to sell alot of books I don't use or am done using.

I am making a list of workshops to attend but with 3 children I probably won't be able to attend any today. I am asking dh to come pick them all up in the morning.

I need time to look at books, attend at least one workshop, and hear the keynote speaker.

I may run into some ladies in our support group again and go out to eat with them again.

So it will be $10 for the family to register

$45 for the room

$0 Breakfast

$3 lunch today

$16 pizza in the room tonight

I have a short list of wants for curriculum. But I do need to get some boxes to put busy work in for my 9 mo., 3yr, and 5 yr. old.

I am revamping and cutting down on what I had planned. I had high and lofty goals, that I simply do not have time for.

I hate books just sitting on the shelf.. and I did alot of planning while pregnant.

Choir for 2 girls: $80/$40 each ( tuition with $40 each scholarship)

$130/ Uniforms and t shirts

$10/ 2 belts (black)

$5 / black socks

$25 / black dress shoes

Now our ds11 is joining Boy scouts..