Menu

S/o....of when do you clean your house....

Mommyfaithe

What do you do when you clean your house??

For me...a clean house includes:

Dishes done, counters clear and wiped

Floors vacuumed and mopped

Laundry folded and put away

Bedrooms picked up etc.

Clean animal houses.

ETA: to those who clean houses professionally...or have yours cleaned professionally:

What are you must dos...or must haves?? And how on earth do you get it all done so quickly??

What are your favorite cleaners, tools or gadgets?

Now that I am de-junked....I want to put together a great cleaning routine...and a specific chore list for my young kids.

Bedrooms picked up etc.

Clean animal houses.

Yes, I'd agree with all the above, plus my new obsession: every dust-gathering surface dusted and shiny. I'm not at all kind to myself am I? Just now I'm having a break from that particular obsession, post-Christmas recuperation :D.

ETA: Oh, and all the brownish/blackish smears and fingerprints wiped from the doors and walls :001_rolleyes:.

Bedrooms picked up etc.

I also make sure the girl's bathroom (which is also our guest bathroom) is spotless.

For me, a clean house means:

Weekly

Vacuum and dust public areas

Clean kitchen counters

Sweep kitchen floor

Wipe over bathroom units and mirror, clean toilet, sweep floor and wipe floor around toilet

Periodic (two to three times a month usually)

Vacuum and dust whole house

Clean shower stalls and bathtubs

Six-monthly

Clean all windows

Annually

Declutter/deep clean

As needed

Anything else I spot (fridge, kitchen floor, etc.)

Laura

I don't consider doing laundry/putting it away as cleaning. To me that's a separate issue.

Doing dishes, wiping kitchen counters and sweeping/mopping the kitchen floor aren't really on my agenda as "cleaning" either. They're just routine chores, many of which get done multiple times a day. Same with general picking up/tidying. Those are all things I constantly do on auto-pilot.

When I think of cleaning I think of things that need to be done weekly or so, but not necessarily every day. Like scrubbing the bathtubs, dusting, vacuuming the bedrooms, wiping down appliances, etc.

My 60-minute AM routine is:

My daily stuff

Put laundry on

Put dishes away

Make bed

Wipe down bathroom

Sweep & swiffer main areas

Finish laundry

One weekly chore, such as:

Change sheets

Sweep & swiffer bedrooms

Clean out fridge

Dust (wood, TVs, ceiling fans)

Windex all windows & mirrors

And 1 larger chore, such as:

Wash moldings, windowsills, & doorframes

Mop hallway stairs

Mop behind couches

Clean out kitchen & bathroom cabinets

Launder curtains & shower curtain, replace shower liner

...I have about 20 things on this list.

My 30-minute PM routine is:

Wipe/clean table, kitchen counters, & stove

Wash dishes

Sweep & swiffer kitchen

Shine the sink

Do a 10-minute pick-up

Bedrooms picked up etc.

Clean animal houses.

ITA, although for me, the dishes must be dried and put away; dishes in the dish drainer means not a clean kitchen (I put the drainer away when I finish drying the dishes). Also, I don't want dish detergent or any other cleaning product on the counter; it must be under the sink. I also want any appliances clean and shiney, including the stove/cooktop, coffee-maker carafe, k-cups out of the Keurig/coffee filters out of the coffee maker, and so on. Also, I do these things daily, not weekly.

I put out a clean dishtowel and dish cloth daily. I use only white dishcloths; when I do laundry (weekly), I begin by presoaking the dishcloths (and washcloths--I only buy white washcloths, too) and sheets (yup, only white sheets) in the washer with Amway's non-chlorine dry bleach. The dishtowel hangs by a loop on the corner (I buy them that way), on a hook right by the sink (as opposed to hanging on the oven door, which would not be near enough to the sink to actually be useful).

I put out a clean handtowel in the bathroom each morning, and keep the vanity picked up daily. Toothbrushes/toothpaste and other bathroom doodahs are stored in the medicine cabinet or vanity drawers, not on the vanity, not all over the bathtub.

There are things in the house that are a constant--laundry, dishes, vacuuming. Those are not on a schedule, they are just done, every day. Three loads of dishes in the washer, at least two loads of laundry. There is nothing I hate more than coming down in the morning and being assaulted by a sink full of dishes. So pots and pans are done every night after dinner and put away. The first chore of Minion 13 is to unload the dishwasher and the Twin minions are in charge of loading. Three times a day this happens. After showers, we make beds, fold laundry and put it all away.

The weekly schedule is completely different, such as sheets, dusting, mopping, and bathrooms.

I am very big on picking up after yourself. That is THE lesson for the kids, and so far all comply except the shorty who thinks she is a princess and that we live her to serve her. She's having a rough go of it lately, but she's getting there. :D

So, there's not much to clean up on a daily basis because they put stuff away.

Cleaning tools? Microcloths. I have mine from years ago. And a microcloth mop. I also love my lambswool wood floor mophead, they're velcro and just stick to my swivel mop.

I use Seventh Generation antibacterial (thymol) cleaner because I love the smell.

ITA, although for me, the dishes must be dried and put away; dishes in the dish drainer means not a clean kitchen (I put the drainer away when I finish drying the dishes). Also, I don't want dish detergent or any other cleaning product on the counter; it must be under the sink.

Toothbrushes/toothpaste and other bathroom doodahs are stored in the medicine cabinet or vanity drawers, not on the vanity, not all over the bathtub.

You must be much more organised than I am, or have a much bigger kitchen/bathroom. I have absolutely no space for those things in cupboards. The bathroom medicine cabinet only has medicines in it. There's no vanity and no space for one. The kitchen cabinets are full. There's only one cupboard that has things in it that are used less often than monthly. I have no separate larder. Grains (rice, couscous, etc.) are kept in a sealable big plastic box on the kitchen floor.

Laura

I clean houses.

Here's a list of stuff I do for other people:

Dust

Vaccuum/floors- I use a hoover floormate or steam mop for all hard-surface floors

Wipe down counters and cabinets.

Bathrooms-shower/tub, toilet, mirrors, vanity/sinks, floor.

Base boards and blinds, ceiling fans

general straightening and tidying, take out the trash

Some clients have me change bed linens

I have elderly clients so sometimes I change filters, light bulbs, get things from the car, etc.

It takes me 3 hours for a house up to 2,000 sq. ft.

Base boards and blinds I alternate between visits. All my clients are every other week.

My own home is a little easier because I clean every week. It takes me 2-2.5 hours (1500 sq. ft).

I alternate between the 2 showers so I don't clean both every week. Counters, etc. are wiped down daily.

I have all hard-surface floors which is so much cleaner than carpet.

Linens every week.

How do I go so fast? I have a square crate with all my cleaning supplies in it. I finish one room completely and move on to the next. I work my way to the front door in clients' homes. So, I start at the point furthest away and work my way out. This way I'm not going over anything I've already done. I work with an ipod (when I'm not chatting.)

I took over for other cleaning people and have been told they took an hour longer. I asked my clients if I was missing anything. They all replied no, I actually do a better job. They just said I'm much more efficient and keep moving at a steady pace.

Vaccuum/floors- I use a hoover floormate or steam mop for all hard-surface floors

Ooh, could I butt in here? Are steam mops any good? I keep looking at them imagining that they must be wonderful, but then wondering how they could possibly do the job any better than a normal mop and bucket. Do you have any expert wisdom you might share me?

Many thanks

Floors :vacuum on fri and as needed, dd mops the kitchen on Sat.

Dishes and counters: all day, everyday :-/

Bathrooms: fri afternoon

Laundry: kids on Sat, dh and I as needed, linens throughout the week (ds12 leaks through nearly every night)

Tidy Living spaces daily.

I'm not a neat freak by any measure. We often have random things scattered here and there, but for the most part I never feel overwhelmed. I think it helps that we live in 1500sq ft. Small enough to keep up with.

I keep a fairly neat, organized home without much clutter. I pay a lady to come in twice a month, mainly to do my dusting and mop my floors. Dusting seriously makes me ill. After I do deep cleaning and stir up a lot if dust, I am useless; I have to take Benadryl and go to bed. Mopping, well, I hate it almost as much as laundry, and our entire downstairs is slate-looking ceramic.

Anyway, I guess since I generally have everything else done (dishes, laundry, clutter picked up, etc.), my biggies for her are the dusting and floors.

My biggies for myself on a daily basis are clutter control, clean kitchen, clean bathrooms, vacuuming any loose dirt from floors, laundry done.

You must be much more organised than I am, or have a much bigger kitchen/bathroom. I have absolutely no space for those things in cupboards. The bathroom medicine cabinet only has medicines in it. There's no vanity and no space for one. The kitchen cabinets are full. There's only one cupboard that has things in it that are used less often than monthly. I have no separate larder. Grains (rice, couscous, etc.) are kept in a sealable big plastic box on the kitchen floor.

Laura

Maybe more organized, but mostly I've never had large bathrooms. I've always had room in medicine cabinets for toothbrushes/toothpaste/shaving supplies/deoderant. We used to keep meds in a basket in the kitchen under the sink, or in a linen closet (even a small one). One house we lived in had only one drawer in the kitchen; I kept dishcloths/dishtowels around the corner-down the hall in the linen closet. Storing things in a sealble big plastic box on the kitchen floor would make me crazy, lol. My Martha Stewart inner self would go crazy trying to figure out alternatives. :laugh:

My 60-minute AM routine is:

My daily stuff

Put laundry on

Put dishes away

Make bed

Wipe down bathroom

Sweep & swiffer main areas

Finish laundry

Change sheets

Sweep & swiffer bedrooms

Clean out fridge

Windex all windows & mirrors

Mop hallway stairs

Mop behind couches

...I have about 20 things on this list.

My 30-minute PM routine is:

Wipe/clean table, kitchen counters, & stove

Wash dishes

Sweep & swiffer kitchen

Shine the sink

Do a 10-minute pick-up

Angela,

Can you include your full list of larger chores? I like your list.

Clean floors are huge for me. No matter how clean surfaces are, it just doesn't feel clean to me until the floors are picked up and vacuumed or mopped.

The kids do chores each morning and that takes a huge load off of me. They do things like unload the dishwasher, switch the loads of laundry (I sort all of the loads and start them myself, they switch from the washer --> dryer and fold when they are dry), pick up the living room so the floor is uncluttered, pick up the kitchen floor and vacuum it, clean off kitchen counters (this is all split between 3 children).

I clean the bathrooms a couple times a week. This mean bleaching the toilets inside and out, wiping down the floor around the toilet with bleach, and wiping down the counters and sink with bleach. The showers and mirrors only get attention when they need it- nothing regular.

The kitchen floor gets vacuumed at least once a day, the carpets get vacuumed a couple times a week. Ideally they would be vacuumed daily, but I don't always get around to it daily.

I clean the kitchen before I go to bed so we wake up to a clean kitchen. This means, counters and table are cleared and wiped down, sink is free of dishes (sometimes there are 1 or 2 left in the sink), dirty dishes are all in the dishwasher and dishwasher is started before I go to bed.

I don't focus on beds being made, although the kids seem to think that is part of cleaning a room, so I won't argue with that. :) Sheets get washed when they need it, that is more for my little ones. The older ones don't get their sheets washed as often.

For simple tidying stuff is in its place, the kitchen presentable, the bathroom not embarrassing, beds made and laundry done.

Yeah, this is basically it. I don't have a set list of exactly what has to be done, but instead just look around and think, "Would I be embarrassed if a stranger walked into my house right now?" I don't typically make beds unless I'm particularly motivated that day.

We do a quick 10 minute clean up before the hubby comes home, just to pick up all the stuff that gets thrown about from a toddler and a teen.

I miss the days of having a housecleaner and having a clean house all at once. My house is pretty much always tidy and looks fine for company who might drop by, but now that I do it myself, I never, ever feel like it's all clean at once. I pick up as we go along; we do a tidying session before going out and before bed; and I do cleaning tasks as I notice them or as I have time. I just never sit down and clean the whole house at once.

I would also love Angela's (Abkjw01) complete list! It looks like a much more orderly system than the haphazard non-system I employ!

I clean certain things daily and I rotate out certain things each day. Plus each week I hit a more deep cleaning area. However, I never make beds, lol.

Daily I will make sure all dishes are always done right away and clean around sink, all appliances cleaned, counter and table cleaned, and I sweep the kitchen/dining room in the morning and at night. I do laundry daily, but put it away once a week (oops). I vacuum daily, clean all clutter up in main living area. We also have all our farm animals to take care of and keep clean (chicken coop, chick bedding in garage, barn, and pigs (also have a farrowing area to clean now too).

Each week I take a day to clean windows, clean cabinets, and dust. I clean bathrooms twice a week and mop twice a week. I will change bedding weekly and wash. I take a day to clean the mud room and reorganize. We clean the garage monthly and reorganize usually at that time to find things. I clean out a clutter area weekly (like bookshelves, closets, kitchen cabinets, and drawers) I take time to make it look nice and get rid of things. I have a donate area that I keep in the garage and try to not keep to much "stuff".

My biggest downfall is not putting laundry away right away and keeping kids rooms clean.

I also clean weekly for my kids tumble facility. I vacuum the mats, clean all touchy surfaces to disinfect, mop every other week, deep clean bathrooms, clean all the mirrors, and clean up the kitchen area. It usually takes me a devoted 2.5-3 hours to get it all done and she has her employees do small things each day and deep cleans twice a year on the breaks.

Angela,

Can you include your full list of larger chores? I like your list.

Thanks. Here's the full list:

Change sheets

Sweep & swiffer bedrooms

Clean out fridge

Windex all windows & mirror

Clean out the microwave

Change bird paper

Bring out garbage/recycles

Wipe down all small appliances

Shred mail

Mop hallway stairs

Mop behind couches

Wash inside of fridge (shelves, drawers, inside walls)

Swiffer high bathroom & kitchen walls & ceilings

Wash entire outside and top of fridge, clean coils

Pull out fridge & stove - mop behind

Sponge scrub kitchen floor (use foot)

Clean out car and wipe dash area

Put up/put away the holiday decorations

Box up winter/summer clothes

Purge the junk drawer(s)

Snake out the dryer vent

Purge & organize bookshelves

Wipe down & organize computer area - make a list of what you ran out of

Go through kids' rooms (with them of course, lol) and see what needs tossing - make a "to-buy" list of necessities

Wipe down entire outside of washer & dryer - clean out the yuck under washer lid

Launder & replace all mattress pads, comforters, dust ruffles, & shams. Flip mattress

Launder all throw rugs

Replace toilet tank bleach tablet

Pledge dust & lemon oil

The 1 larger chore is more like 1 or 2 a week (as needed) - but it all gets done in at least a 3-4 month rotation. I do 2 weekly chores (sometimes) on the off days.

I set a timer and try to keep it all at 60 minutes. Some jobs may take an extra few minutes. I try to zip around doing these as fast as I can.

I have to have a list or I don't think to do anything. Each thing on the big list takes between 5 and 15 minutes. I've made peace with the fact that it doesn't have to be perfect...just do it quickly and it will still be fine. :).

All clutter put away

All surfaces dusted

All carpets vacuumed

All floors washed

All laundry washed and put away

All beds made with clean linens

All windows washed (at least on the lower level) and screens vacuumed

Bathrooms - toilet, sink, tub and surround scrubbed, walls, trim and floor washed.

Kitchen - counters cleared and washed, cupboard doors, walls, backsplash and floor washed, vacuum under stove and fridge, stovetop and oven cleaned.

I am doing that on Saturday mornings now, except that the bathroom gets the toilet, sink and tub wiped down everyday, and in the kitchen, the floor is swept and counters and stovetop wiped everyday.

A wonderful board member (Desert Rat) had given me a tip to make up a carry-around for all my cleaning supplies and that has helped immensely. I no longer stash cleaning supplies in every room, which is just an invitation for me to indulge my issues and clean at any time. I keep the carry-around in the bathroom, which is a bit out of the way. I took the tip of just doing it Saturday mornings from Laura, who also lent me her cleaning chart, which I adapted for my house. By only working on Saturday mornings, I get to focus solely on the cleaning for a solid 3 hours. That actually seems to help the OCD. I get it out in one long session and it keeps me sane for about a week.

Then, for two glorious minutes every Saturday, my house is almost perfect, and I am almost not neurotic.

Ooh, could I butt in here? Are steam mops any good? I keep looking at them imagining that they must be wonderful, but then wondering how they could possibly do the job any better than a normal mop and bucket. Do you have any expert wisdom you might share me?

Many thanks

What ever you use is better than mop and bucket! Here's my break down:

Hoover FloorMates vacuum, scrub, then suck up the water into a separate resevoir. I love these for tile floors and vinyl (like kitchen). Cons: can streak some floors. Loud.

Steam Mops: I'm still learning how to best use my new one. One of my clients requested I use a steam mop on her floor to minimize streaks. Works best on hardwood, laminate (pergo), bamboo. Cons: I hate that I have to vacuum before using. And even then there's a crumb pile that's now wet and icky after I'm done. But, I got spoiled by the FloorMate in this respect. I love how it cleans hardwood floors without streaks though.

Hope this helps! I tried PMing you to make sure you got this but the system was experiencing some glitches. Hope you get it!

My everyday list:

toilets/sinks

laundry

dishes

beds made

My weekly list:

I have 3 floors, so I rotate through them, spending 15 minutes in each room on that day's floor (about an hour total). I do a general clean, dust, quick sweep and mop.

My goal is not a perfectly clean house. It's simply a house that's 15 minutes away from being company ready at any time.

I took the tip of just doing it Saturday mornings from Laura, who also lent me her cleaning chart, which I adapted for my house. By only working on Saturday mornings, I get to focus solely on the cleaning for a solid 3 hours. That actually seems to help the OCD. I get it out in one long session and it keeps me sane for about a week.

Then, for two glorious minutes every Saturday, my house is almost perfect, and I am almost not neurotic.

I think it's interesting that the Saturday scheme helps you (tend to clean too much) and me (tend to clean too little). Glad it helped.

Laura

What ever you use is better than mop and bucket! Here's my break down:

Hoover FloorMates vacuum, scrub, then suck up the water into a separate resevoir. I love these for tile floors and vinyl (like kitchen). Cons: can streak some floors. Loud.

Steam Mops: I'm still learning how to best use my new one. One of my clients requested I use a steam mop on her floor to minimize streaks. Works best on hardwood, laminate (pergo), bamboo. Cons: I hate that I have to vacuum before using. And even then there's a crumb pile that's now wet and icky after I'm done. But, I got spoiled by the FloorMate in this respect. I love how it cleans hardwood floors without streaks though.

Hope this helps! I tried PMing you to make sure you got this but the system was experiencing some glitches. Hope you get it!

Thank you so much K! That's really helpful. I think I'll take the plunge! I'll have a good look at both the FloorMate and steam mops. I'm just always so very grateful for anything that helps make cleaning a little easier.

Daily

make beds

vacuum upstairs

quick wipe-down bathrooms

dishes

wipe counter tops

sweep downstairs

clear flat surfaces

clear any stray items or clutter

scoop animal enclosures & litter boxes

shred junk mail

Weekly