Menu

Just kvetching more about the show "Extreme Cheapskates"

Ginevra

I just wrote about this show on my blog, but I guess it's not out of my system yet. :laugh: I watched this show last night. It is SO ANNOYING to me that frugality is being framed by these bizarre fringe stories. You can make a frugal meal without eating a baked fish head. :cursing: And the man who haggles at the bakery to try and get a cake for 7 dollars - ever hear of baking one yourself? Geez. Even if you used a box mix because scratch is too daunting you can sometimes get those for a dollar.

I wish there was a show on frugal lifestyles that was valuable information. (To be fair, there were a couple of worthwhile tidbits sprinkled throughout, if you can ignore cooking up a roadkill bunny.) I'm just bugged that this is one more laughing-stock show that could have presented some valuable information, but instead, gives people more reason to think frugality is bizarre and nothing worthwhile can be done inexpensively. :rant:

I just started re-reading the Logic Stage section in TWTM, so I'm thinking you have some faulty logic going on here. One of your premises is not correct. You are beginning with the assumption that television is useful. :rofl:

Well, I'm a hopeless idealist...

This show... is it by any chance on TLC, AKA "the freak show channel" as we say in our house?

If so, then that is your answer. They are incapable of producing any shows that don't exploit the freak factor of any given topic.

Well actually some parts of the fish head are quite tasty.

But I agree with the sentiment. Reminds me of various articles I've read that give people tips on how to save money. They usually include stuff I'm already doing, or stuff that is so freaking out there I refuse to "go there".

You're referring to recycling toilet paper, aren't you? Gosh, when will people understand that just because ONE SIDE IS USED doesn't mean the whole thing needs to be thrown away??? Two sides, people, two sides.

If it helps, I consider 'frugal' to be reasonable and 'cheapskate' to be more on the nutty side.

This show... is it by any chance on TLC, AKA "the freak show channel" as we say in our house?

If so, then that is your answer. They are incapable of producing any shows that don't exploit the freak factor of any given topic.

We call the History channel The Nazi Channel because every time we turned it on we saw Hitler. Not that the information wasn't valid; it just seems they could cover other things more often. No cable and Netflix has made the history channel safe again.

You're referring to recycling toilet paper, aren't you? Gosh, when will people understand that just because ONE SIDE IS USED doesn't mean the whole thing needs to be thrown away??? Two sides, people, two sides.

Sure! I have that policy for drawing paper. Makes sense.

Yes. Obviously I'm a hopeless idealist, but it is so irritating to me that they do this instead of presenting an opportunity for learning - you know, as in "The Learning Channel." I would eat up every minute of a show that featured people doing sensible frugal things that could (at least probably) be emulated by other regular folks. Why can't they have a show where someone shows you how to make homemade pizza? Why can't they have a show that shows you how to reap seeds from Heirloom Tomatoes? Why can't they have a show that shows you how to make a quilt from discarded jeans and a Goodwill sleeping bag?

I know...hopeless idealist. :rolleyes:

Total sense.

When I worked in a law firm many moons ago (B.C.), I used to take the reams and reams of discarded printed paper, cut it up, staple it together clean-side-up and use that as my telephone scratch pad. :coolgleamA: My boss was so proud of me, but most people thought that was so anal.

• 9 months later...

Yes. Obviously I'm a hopeless idealist, but it is so irritating to me that they do this instead of presenting an opportunity for learning - you know, as in "The Learning Channel." I would eat up every minute of a show that featured people doing sensible frugal things that could (at least probably) be emulated by other regular folks. Why can't they have a show where someone shows you how to make homemade pizza? Why can't they have a show that shows you how to reap seeds from Heirloom Tomatoes? Why can't they have a show that shows you how to make a quilt from discarded jeans and a Goodwill sleeping bag?

I know...hopeless idealist. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/rolleyes.gif

TLC used to be an awesome channel. Now it truly is the freak show channel.

TLC used to be an awesome channel. Now it truly is the freak show channel.

:iagree:

Years ago, I used to watch several shows on TLC, way back when their idea of a reality show was something along the lines of "Trading Spaces," but once they got into the "Jon and Kate Plus Eight" era, I removed the channel from the favorites list on my TV remote. That show was stupid, but it was nothing compared to the idiotic programming that they now show on TLC.

I know...hopeless idealist. rolleyes.gif

Those kinds of shows are on PBS.

I wish there was a show on frugal lifestyles that was valuable information. (To be fair, there were a couple of worthwhile tidbits sprinkled throughout, if you can ignore cooking up a roadkill bunny.) I'm just bugged that this is one more laughing-stock show that could have presented some valuable information, but instead, gives people more reason to think frugality is bizarre and nothing worthwhile can be done inexpensively. rant.gif

When my Mom was much younger (Before I was born) she was driving somewhere with her much older sister. They hit a deer. Or much older sister who was a butcher, butchered the thing on the side of the road and put it in the back of the car and kept going. 

These kinds of shows don't function to give anyone any kind of actual information. They function to make the masses feel better about themselves. Totally different things. 

I'll admit, though, that DH got a big kick out of the few he watched the other day. He loves that kind of TV--Jersey Shore, The Real World, etc. Thank goodness we got rid of cable. He's generally too lazy to actually go looking for that kind of stuff :lol:

I actually did learn that you can buy a Salmon for really cheap if you take what is left after they take the big chunks off.  I had no idea.   Don't know that I would buy a Goat Head though, even though I do like Goat meat.    

The man asked for livers and hearts.  I won't eat organ meats.  

I will eat fish heads (not eyes).  The cheeks of a fish are quite tasty.  It is just too much work for most butchers to dig out, and comes out not in a nice large chunk, it is too small.

What floored me was the man who was dubbed the cheapest man in America.  He was featured on the show twice (or twice so far, I haven't watched that many).  He says his cheapness has enabled him to retire in his 40s. 

I don't know what he did prior to "retiring" but most jobs require you to wait until your 60s to actually get any benefits.

And, who would want to retire if you knew you had to eat Goat's heads and bike ride around all day for $7 in change (never mind having to go into stores/restaurants and asking if you can sit in all their seats and forage for change!)

I would rather keep working a meaningful job and retire with money to do some things I want to do, like buy real meat and keep my own change jar with my own change!

When my Mom was much younger (Before I was born) she was driving somewhere with her much older sister. They hit a deer. Or much older sister who was a butcher, butchered the thing on the side of the road and put it in the back of the car and kept going.

I'm not sure if that was frugal or just plain :ack2: (Please note that I am not a butcher, so that might explain my reaction. ;))

Part of me knows I wouldn't want to have been driving past them and wondering exactly why they had all that blood all over the place, but another part of me is glad the poor deer didn't go to waste.

But I would have made up a really good story when I got home about how I saw two women disposing of a dead body by the side of the road... :D

Actual real life frugality is VERY boring to watch :)!

I remember reading The Tightwad Gazette, and the author said that some magazine wanted to do a photo shoot of them "being frugal".   And it was difficult to capture because most of being frugal is NOT doing things.   NOT buying this or that, NOT eating out saves much more money than reusing baggies...toilet paper....whatever.   And it's difficult to take a picture of "not going out to eat" or "not buying the latest toy"!

I am amazed at how people don't think through these "money saving" things they do.   The goat head guy biked 40 miles to find $7.  How many calories do you burn riding 40 miles on a bike plus the wear and tear on your bike, vs how many calories are actualy in 2 goat heads?   Also there was a guy who left tags on clothes and returned them after wearing them(with the tags on them), and I have real problems with things like that.   It's ethically wrong to wear things and take them back as a habit.   That is not being a cheapskate, that is stealing.

These people obviously find being a cheapskate fun.   Most of what I've seen so far doesn't really save that much money.   I would use cloth toilet paper for environmental reasons, but I don't think it saves enough money to be worth it unless you are truly in dire straits.   Their vehicle looked new, so get a $500 cheaper car and there is a few years worth of toilet paper right there.    Or better yet get rid of your vehicle and nice house and you can afford toilet paper for life :lol: .   

What floored me was the man who was dubbed the cheapest man in America.  He was featured on the show twice (or twice so far, I haven't watched that many).  He says his cheapness has enabled him to retire in his 40s. 

I don't know what he did prior to "retiring" but most jobs require you to wait until your 60s to actually get any benefits.

And, who would want to retire if you knew you had to eat Goat's heads and bike ride around all day for $7 in change (never mind having to go into stores/restaurants and asking if you can sit in all their seats and forage for change!)

I would rather keep working a meaningful job and retire with money to do some things I want to do, like buy real meat and keep my own change jar with my own change!

I have only seen one episode and it was the goat head guy.  I wouldn't stay married to him but then I probably would not have married him in the first place.

I know a few couples who chose not to have kids and worked and saved, never went away on vacation,  and were very frugal with their expenses so they could retire in their 40's.  None of them were scrounging through seat cushions in restaurants or ate goat heads because it was the cheapest option. 

That show is ridiculous.

do we have a thread on how we can reasonably save money? I need to search for it or start one. I've started reading Mr Money Mustache. While we aren't doing life as he does, it has challenged me to think about what I am spending money on and ask myself if it is really worthwhile. I thought I was a bit frugal before, but am compelled to try harder to not try to buy happiness.

We have a frugal sub-forum but no one is on there!  

That show is ridiculous.

do we have a thread on how we can reasonably save money? I need to search for it or start one. I've started reading Mr Money Mustache. While we aren't doing life as he does, it has challenged me to think about what I am spending money on and ask myself if it is really worthwhile. I thought I was a bit frugal before, but am compelled to try harder to not try to buy happiness.

That show is ridiculous.

If you do start one, I'll try to pop in there when I can. Frugality is a pet topic of interest to me. 

I like "Dollar Stretcher" on-line. Lots of good ideas there. I haven't been in a while, though, and sometimes it's hard wading through all the articles, some of which are kind of old. 

I haven't actually watched it yet. In a preview I saw, it had a couple sharing dental floss!!!! :wacko:   That was just too much for me!! lol. 

Anyway. I agree with you, Quill. I am very frugal & love learning more ways to incorporate frugal living! But splitting the 2 ply toilet paper in half and community dental floss is just time wasting & gross imo, lol.

Maybe I will tune in though since you said there are some frugal tidbits sprinkled throughout.

I haven't actually watched it yet. In a preview I saw, it had a couple sharing dental floss!!!! :wacko:   That was just too much for me!! lol. 

Anyway. I agree with you, Quill. I am very frugal & love learning more ways to incorporate frugal living! But splitting the 2 ply toilet paper in half and community dental floss is just time wasting & gross imo, lol.

Maybe I will tune in though since you said there are some frugal tidbits sprinkled throughout.

FWIW, this is an old post that got revived. I haven't seen the show recently, but I think the current episodes are re-runs (or some of them are). I think Jeff Yeager (the goat head guy) does make sense from time to time. I have read his books and there is useful information in there. Although I do also feel like childless frugal people don't have much in common with me, so that is a problem. I could live very inexpensively if I was single and childless, but I happen to think they are worth the expense.  :p

I have only seen one episode and it was the goat head guy.  I wouldn't stay married to him but then I probably would not have married him in the first place.

When you think about it, even if he was entirely sane and pleasant, who would want to be married to a guy who was nicknamed "the goat head guy" anyway?  :ack2:

Yes, this is an older thread. I revived it rather than starting a new thread.

It is now on Netflix. I didn't have cable (too cheap! :laugh: ) so now more of us can watch and discuss!

Dawn

I'll have to check it out, since I'm too cheap for cable, too. :D

I wouldn't expect the show to be very useful, though since the title does say EXTREME Cheapskates. I'm an "(almost) everything in moderation" kind of gal. :)