Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

If you use SOTW, how do you handle the chapters on religion? If you strongly considered it but opted against it, what have you used for world history at the elementary school level?

We use it and we do all the chapters on religion, while emphasizing that while the religious stories are not things we consider to be literally true, that that religion has been of great importance in shaping history. That said, I never assigned the art pages or many of the crafts connected to the bible stories. I am not sure if I will be sticking with it past SOTW II or not. Thoughts?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest inoubliable

We dropped SOTW after getting to the 2nd volume and realizing that it just wasn't meaty enough for us. For last year (when we used the first volume of SOTW), we skipped the Christian-slanted chapters completely. We were already doing a year-long study on religion - ancient and modern - and I didn't want to deal with having to separate fact (history) from the perspective of a religious group. Instead, we focused on the history bit and found our information in the Kingfisher and Usborne encyclopedias. That's about the time that we discovered that we could find a lot of information on Netflix and Hulu, some great websites, and some episodes of Horrible Histories. This year we have SOTW II, but as a guide to stay on the timeline. We use the Kingfisher and Usborne encyclopedias, Netflix and Hulu documentaries, the CHOL literature program, Horrible History DVDs and books, a good bit of websites, and the K12 Human Odyssey Vol 1 and 2 (well, I'm ordering 2 in a day or so anyway).

No way am I throwing this up on the main board, but I'll leave it here. It's a petition to the BSA council who sits down on Monday to vote in their new policy regarding gays.

http://www.hrc.org/

(Link is to the right. Apparently it had my information in the fields of the first link.)

Perfect way to let them know that pulling a Pontius Pilot doesn't make them less bigoted.

I signed. :)

Does that make all that oil the work of the debil too? What do these people think they are pumping into their cars?

It's ironic how they deny science but they don't mind reaping all of the benefits from science.

And why they are waiting for god to fix the planet it will be science that comes up with solutions.

In addition to signing the petitions going around, could you all take a few minutes and just send an email? You can email them right through the BS wesbite but the telephone number that was going around for the vote has been taken down. They need to hear from as many rational people as possible.

Will do. :)

Okay, I cannot keep up. You all talk a lot.

Way back a few hundred pages some of you mentioned religion and the brain. Here are some books that I'm planning to read some day.

And evolution

Thanks! My Amazon wish list is getting huge! I have a sample of The Greatest Show on Earth and am going to buy the full book at some point. I'm reading Why Evolution is true right now which I like too.

If you use SOTW, how do you handle the chapters on religion? If you strongly considered it but opted against it, what have you used for world history at the elementary school level?

We use it and we do all the chapters on religion, while emphasizing that while the religious stories are not things we consider to be literally true, that that religion has been of great importance in shaping history. That said, I never assigned the art pages or many of the crafts connected to the bible stories. I am not sure if I will be sticking with it past SOTW II or not. Thoughts?

We've used SOTW, but I do want my kids to know the Bible stories. I'd prefer they not believe them to be true, but they're important cultural references. I remember that even Richard Dawkins mentioned how important it was to at least have a passing familiarity with them in one of his books (but, I have no idea which, and I've read quite a few).

I really love the Golden Book of World History. It was written in the 50s so it has a much more secular tone than more modern works. It's a bit like Van Loon with lots of lovely illustrations. It was perfect for a first pass through world history when the kids were younger. I used it with Sonlight's introduction to world history for 1st and 2nd grade.

We've used SOTW, but I do want my kids to know the Bible stories. I'd prefer they not believe them to be true, but they're important cultural references. I remember that even Richard Dawkins mentioned how important it was to at least have a passing familiarity with them in one of his books (but, I have no idea which, and I've read quite a few).

We used SOTW too. I just would say, 'Oh, this is the bible story about....' and we read it as a story, no different from any of the other traditional stories in the books.

Laura

Guest inoubliable

Just when you thought it was all over, the tipping pastor kerfluffle comes back like Vanilla Ice...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/02/01/tip-ocalypse-the-next-chapter

I'm inspired to go out to eat this weekend and tip extra nice! In fact, I think I'm going to budget this sort of thing in for every meal I eat out with my family. There. I have a New Year's resolution.

Just when you thought it was all over, the tipping pastor kerfluffle comes back like Vanilla Ice...

http://www.patheos.c...he-next-chapter

I'm inspired to go out to eat this weekend and tip extra nice! In fact, I think I'm going to budget this sort of thing in for every meal I eat out with my family. There. I have a New Year's resolution.

True tipping story from DH and I:

We wanted to go to this fancy restaurant but we never had our stuff together. And then one Sunday night, kinda late for here we drove past this place on our way to get a pizza. We decided to stop and neither of us was dressed particularly well - I think I had khakis and a feminist teeshirt.

Anyway, they happily seated us and we had the BEST service I have ever gotten in a restaurant. She did everything perfectly without hovering (and that's really hard not to do!!).

So DH tipped 40%. It was a sizable bill because we made pigs out of ourselves. Baked Alaska, anyone else?? :)

Then we got up and left and the server chased us into the parking lot and insisted it was too much. We had closed the place down and no one seemed to care that we were there, savoring the food. We had the feeling like they all would have happily stayed until dawn to make sure we were comfortable. And the server almost cried in the parking lot. She said we made her week.

I remember from waitressing how much a differnece one awesome tip can make. It makes you feel vindicated for almost every nitwit who comes in and leaves pennies. :glare:

And we get awesome service every time we hit that restaurant now!!!

We used SOTW too. I just would say, 'Oh, this is the bible story about....' and we read it as a story, no different from any of the other traditional stories in the books.

Laura

That's what we do, as well. I simply add a preface, akin to what the text has for non-current religious stories, along the lines of "according to the ancient Hebrews..." (Such as the unqualified story of Moses)

The references to religion in anything more modern than the ancients are all framed as the belief of the subject (and, as such, the subject's justification for actions), and I have no problem with that. It speaks to their psychology.

You guys are too fast for me - this is one big thread. Reading it is the highlight of my day!

Just had to pop in and say that. :)

My amazon list is getting really big, too. Amazon should be giving kickbacks to the thread contributors.

Oh, and we also use SOTW, but skip the overly religious chapters. Some of them we'll do, but just address it as myth. "Some people believe..." is a big phrase here. I've also chosen to skip the bible based crafts and coloring pages if they are too much.

That's what we do, as well. I simply add a preface, akin to what the text has for non-current religious stories, along the lines of "according to the ancient Hebrews..." (Such as the unqualified story of Moses)

The references to religion in anything more modern than the ancients are all framed as the belief of the subject (and, as such, the subject's justification for actions), and I have no problem with that. It speaks to their psychology.

I agree. I felt that the medieval book (SOTW 2) was actually much easier to deal with because they were talking about actual historical movements, not mythological stories (as in SOTW 1). The evolution of the Christian faith in Europe is actually quite important to the shaping of most of those nations, hence worthwhile study.

To be honest, though, I found some of it a bit too "rah-rah" Protestant (presenting Luther's rebellion as a heroic moment, for example). So, we would discuss it quite a lot, as a I wanted ds to really think about what these people's actions were doing not just in the positive lights presented, but also the potential/actual negatives that occurred as results.

I think it's impossible, or at least impractical, to study history sans religion. Religion definitely dictated much of history during certain eras. It is important to see how and why it did so. This doesn't mean you have to agree with the religions or what they spurred. It just means that you should know about it, so that you can think about it critically and with an informed perspective.

Guest inoubliable

Last year I assigned History of the Medieval World for my dd15 and that was a disaster. Way, way too heavy on church history. I felt the lens was too solidly Christian to be useful to us.

Good to know. I thought about picking it up to have on hand.

Another user of SOTW here. It is from a XTian perspective and in some places it's pretty heavy but those are times we discuss and discuss and discuss perspectives. At least those discussions get to happen at home because I'm rpetty sure that depth isn't happening in public schools - if you can find a public elementary school near you that even does history at all. :glare:

Guest inoubliable

Anyone have something fun planned for the weekend?

Tomorrow - geocaching in the morning (after a couple of errands), look at house that we hope to buy, meet mortgage guy to submit copies of documents, Harper's Ferry in the afternoon

Sunday - maybe an IKEA trip. DS8's bday was today and the little weirdo loves an IKEA trip

A little Lammas thing today, which, among other things, involves us eating our first batch of home made tempeh. We are terribly excited about that.

Imbolc weekend here. I have some friends and their families coming tomorrow to stay overnight. 'T will be lovely. :)

nope. nothing. grocery and laundry. might get the kids to saturday morning martial arts if dh will wake up. if i get really energized, maybe i'll make the boys clean up the front yard gardens. wrestle with whether i should tell my mom i've scheduled surgery for my knee, and then if i should also copy my daughter on the email or just leave it with her email saying "fine, then i wont contact you" . . . or decide to put it off. or should i call my ex-SIL to ask about my 'nephew' who's been in the hospital. the ex-mil freinded me on fb to tell me about it, but apparently they really dont know exactly what's going on.

yeah, tmi, i know. just one of those days.

I need to learn to knit. I crochet but knitting had always eluded me. I am catching up on Modern Family right now on hulu. Tomorrow I am going go scour the Goodwill outlet for natural fiber sweaters to cannibalize for recycled yarn. Sunday we are having a game night with a couple of other families.

Guest inoubliable

I need to learn to knit. I crochet but knitting had always eluded me. I am catching up on Modern Family right now on hulu. Tomorrow I am going go scour the Goodwill outlet for natural fiber sweaters to cannibalize for recycled yarn. Sunday we are having a game night with a couple of other families.

Me, too!! I have some embroidery stuff, and I was given some yarn by a neighbor but I sort of forgot all about learning how to do any of it. I'd like to be able to make scarves and blankets.

I am using the SOTW audio book in the car. I am only on volume 1 but so far I actually don't find it to be a problem especially since they started with multi Gods and other myths and fables. I am ok with them knowing the bible stories and to me it seems similar to the other stories with some historical basis but the story has mythical elements to it too that are not true.

Guest inoubliable

Fingers crossed for your house and mortgage app KKinVA.

Thank you!! :)

(Multiple quoting - I can't get it to work suddenly.)

Guest inoubliable

I watched them all. Dh and I were laughing. "Aggressive floating" :smilielol5:

Here's an old thing on the web by the same guy.

http://www.zefrank.com/punc/

I have no idea how long he's been doing this kind of stuff, but I've had that link in an email from an old co-worker since 2005! LOL.

Guest inoubliable

Tomorrow we celebrate ds's birthday and Sunday is mine. Two cakes in a row! :hurray:

Wish me luck making my cake. I'm making a cheesecake and I don't have much experience doing so.

Good luck!

Mmmm....cheesecake. I have never found a good vegan cheesecake. It's the one thing I miss.

I taught myself to knit and crochet from youtube videos.

I just finished crocheting a granny square blanket for my oldest son. It took me almost 3 years to finish! Now I need to find another project.

Guest inoubliable

I've made good cheesecakes using soy cream cheese. i'm not a big cheesecake fan, and i made a short one (1/3 of my normal recipe, in a pie plate instead of a springform) but everyone else seemed happy with it.

I've only tried with one brand of soy cream cheese and it was awful. :( It was runny and gross. I'm sure I screwed it up. Our local supermarket is now carrying another brand of soy cream cheese. Maybe I'll try my hand at it again this month.

but they're important cultural references. I remember that even Richard Dawkins mentioned how important it was to at least have a passing familiarity with them in one of his books (but, I have no idea which, and I've read quite a few).

I agree, but I don't think "passing knowledge" means you have to read the bible. I've not made ds read it, but just made sure he knew some of the stories, just like he knows other myths. He read about them, he didn't read them.

I think it's impossible, or at least impractical, to study history sans religion. Religion definitely dictated much of history during certain eras. It is important to see how and why it did so. This doesn't mean you have to agree with the religions or what they spurred. It just means that you should know about it, so that you can think about it critically and with an informed perspective.

Very true, but I still don't think that means you have to read the entire holy book.

Weekend plans? Last weekend was Disney. This weekend is boring cleaning and stuff. I might try the whole wheat bread recipe from the bread making thread.

I will also be working on this shopping cart seat cover for my grandson. His first birthday is the end of this month (his actual first birth date won't happen until 2016!), and it will be one of his presents. Since he's too young to care, I asked dss and ddil what to get. Dss is a firemedic, so I bought a firefighter print for the cover, and red quilted material for the seat.

I taught myself to knit and crochet from youtube videos.

I just finished crocheting a granny square blanket for my oldest son. It took me almost 3 years to finish! Now I need to find another project.

Knitting is the bane of my existence. It's the first reason I walked away from Waldorf preschool with my kids. The second reason was the anthropomorsophy insanity, Or whatever it's called...

And then wouldn't you know, I end up with the same whacko Waldorf teacher in GS 6 years later and we get to knit flowers. How special. :glare:

Weekend plans? Last weekend was Disney. This weekend is boring cleaning and stuff. I might try the whole wheat bread recipe from the bread making thread.

I will also be working on this shopping cart seat cover for my grandson. His first birthday is the end of this month (his actual first birth date won't happen until 2016!), and it will be one of his presents. Since he's too young to care, I asked dss and ddil what to get. Dss is a firemedic, so I bought a firefighter print for the cover, and red quilted material for the seat.

Ok hon. You've confuzzeled me. Your grandson won't be turning one for another three years? Time moves really slowly for me in the south but does it stop altogther in Florida???

I have a bil whose birthday is Feb. 29 too! He's very psyched to "only" be 11.

I agree, but I don't think "passing knowledge" means you have to read the bible. I've not made ds read it, but just made sure he knew some of the stories, just like he knows other myths. He read about them, he didn't read them.

No, mine haven't read the Bible either. That's a pretty hard slog and there are some R-rated passages in there too. I really like Geraldine Macaughrean's bible story books, especially since she's also written so many books about other myths. It emphasizes that these are stories.