Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: The Dark Side for REFORMED Christians

Heather in Neverland

Too Good to be True and

Christless Christianity are two more good ones by M. Horton

Also, good, free radio http://refnet.fm/

I LOVE refnet.

I have a book club that meets at my home once a month. Here is our book list for this year (I am not necessarily recommending all of these since I haven't read them yet but it's our to-read list):

Jan- The God Who is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story http://www.amazon.com/The-God-Who-There-ebook/dp/B003RRWN6W/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355652961&sr=1-1&keywords=the+god+who+is+there

Feb- Ordering Your Private World http://www.amazon.com/Ordering-Your-Private-World-ebook/dp/B000TRM9S0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355652992&sr=1-1&keywords=ordering+your+private+world

March- A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World http://www.amazon.com/Praying-Life-Connecting-Distracting-ebook/dp/B005OKEOEO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355653022&sr=1-1&keywords=a+praying+life

April- God's Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Big-Picture-Storyline-ebook/dp/B008B9HPGY/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355653175&sr=1-1&keywords=god%27s+big+picture

May- Why Revival Tarries http://www.amazon.com/Why-Revival-Tarries-ebook/dp/B001OW5Q8Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355653206&sr=1-1&keywords=why+revival+tarries

June-August- When I Don't Desire God http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/books/when-i-dont-desire-god

Sept- How Should We Then Live? http://www.amazon.com/Should-LAbri-Anniversary-Edition-ebook/dp/B001INWDGM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355653279&sr=1-1&keywords=how+should+we+then+live

Oct- The Gospel's Power and Message http://www.amazon.com/The-Gospels-Power-Message-ebook/dp/B009R4ILNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355653311&sr=1-1&keywords=the+gospels+power+and+message

Nov- God Is Red: The Secret Story of How Christianity survived and flourished in communist China http://www.amazon.com/God-Is-Red-ebook/dp/B004T4OQ62/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355653337&sr=1-1&keywords=god+is+red

Dec (girl/guy month)- Faithful Women and their Extraordinary God http://www.amazon.com/Faithful-Women-Their-Extraordinary-ebook/dp/B0026LTPTS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355653432&sr=1-1&keywords=noel+piper

Puritan Portraits http://www.amazon.com/Puritan-Portraits-ebook/dp/B009SA2O16/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355653490&sr=1-1&keywords=puritan+portraits

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: I spoke with an elder from the church today and here is what I know:

Service is Sunday at 9:30

No female pastors

Expository preaching

Not charismatic

Reformed doctrine

About 10 families or so (around 40-50 people)

FIC (family integrated church)

This man is actually the parent of two students at my school and he is going to meet us at the school on Sunday so we can follow him (driving directions here are pretty dicey!).

I am cautiously optimistic. All those answers were just what we wanted to hear. This MIGHT be the one!

Wow! Sounds great! I hope it works out!

Are you saying if I read this I will come over completely to the dark side? ;) Maybe I will just have to get it then.

Quite possibly. Don't say you haven't been warned (and right here I'd put the little winking smilie guy, but I can't get the emoticons to work)

Heather, I will be praying for a good church home for your family! In the situation you described in the first post, I think we'd worship at home rather than with a "church" which preaches a false gospel.

We do have a good church (PCA), though it has grown very large in the last 5-10 years and we struggle with keeping community and feeling like a church family. We'd love to have a similar church a quarter of the size, but that doesn't exist here and we do have roots where we are and a lovely fellowship with other homeschooling families too.

Books!

Parenting: Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem and the Joys of Mothering by Rachel Jankovic

Faith: Surprised By Oxford: A Memoir by Carolyn Weber, The Hammer of God by Bo Giertz

History: Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas (about William Wilberforce)

Random other: anything 1)by Josephine Tey or 2) about Vikings and early medieval Britain (up to my eyebrows in SOTW 2 here)

This is a great thread. I live in the South where Calvinism is considered a "bad word" by many. I often feel out of place. I was raised Southern Baptist but was "converted" by a PCA friend in college. It just made sense.

I know what you mean. I was raised Pentecostal. My grandfather was a Pentecostal pastor. Two of my uncles are currently Pentecostal pastors....

You get the picture. ;)

This is a great thread. I live in the South where Calvinism is considered a "bad word" by many. I often feel out of place. I was raised Southern Baptist but was "converted" by a PCA friend in college. It just made sense.

Same here, though I grew up here in Central Cal. I went to a Christian high school and we did a "comparative" study on Calvinism vs. Arminianism in Sr. Bible class and went out of there believing that all Calvinists were heretics on the highest level.

Are you saying if I read this I will come over completely to the dark side? ;) Maybe I will just have to get it then.

Well, I'll put it this way...I grew up being taught that Calvinism (and the "P" word) were horrific and evil and this book gave such a beautiful picture of the doctrines of grace that it took away the anxiety I had over the ideas presented.

I love Sproul's The Holiness Of God also - I read this not too long ago. His description of Martin Luther helped me understand dh's idiosyncrasies :D.

Sounds good! We travel three hours round way to go to our reformed PCA church. We have tried and tried to find a church closer but have finally decided that the theology is very important and we make the trip. No, we don't get the fellowship but at least we get decent teaching.

Our church is by no means "mega", but it's good sized. We have a school and built our sanctuary recently.

Reformed is very important to us. Ds and his family are members of Douglas Wilson's church.

We left a charismatic, prosperity-gospel "new religious movement" based on the healing campaigns and "prophetic ministry" of William Branham at the end of 2011. That was the religion in which my husband and I were raised from birth. I sort of was dragged by God kicking and screaming (not literally of course!) to a Southern Baptist church where the pastors lean very Reformed. Lots of doctrines of grace coming over the pulpit. We are in a suburb of Louisville, KY where the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is becoming very Calvinist in its leanings.

Heather, I am so happy for you that your church situation is sorting itself out. I was planning to recommend that you seek out like-minded families for a church plant of some sort- so what is coming about sounds wonderful. I would just be lost without a church family and a place for corporate worship.

Our church gave Faithful Women... away on Mother's Day last year and it was an amazing read!

I also love Radical! Taking Your Faith Back From the American Dream by David Platt. (But maybe everybody else has read that!)

We are in a suburb of Louisville, KY where the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is becoming very Calvinist in its leanings.

I love Al Mohler, the president of SBTS. I believe it is because of his influence that the seminary is leaning Calvinist. His blog is excellent. http://www.albertmoh...egory/blog/Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½Ă¯Â¿Â½

He wrote a beautiful piece about Sandy Hook.

OK, the link to Dr. Mohler's blog isn't working the way I wanted it, but .... it'll do.

Update:

We went to that new church this morning and we brought one of the other Reformed families from our school with us. It was a really good morning!

It is a very small church, about 40 people. But it was done very well. They read portions of the Heidelberg catechism each week, with scripture to back up and explain. There were traditional hymns, readings from Scripture, a solid sermon, wonderful and thoughtful prayer, even a time of catechism for the children.

Everyone was super nice and welcoming. After the service they serve a brunch and we all sat eating and talking. After brunch they do a separate bible study for adults and kids focusing on systematic theology as it relates to Reformed doctrine. We didn't stay for that this time as dd was CRANKY but I hope to stay for it next week.

So far it seems very promising. Even the drive wasn't bad which, on this island, is saying something!!

Thank you for praying for this!

On a semi-related note, DA Carson is coming to Penang in the fall!!!

I'd love to hear how your Sunday morning went (once it gets here, of course! I am way ahead of you on time). What was preached? Ours was on keeping the sabbath in a non-legalistic fashion. It was quite convicting for me to reevaluate how we spend our time on Sundays.

So how about you?

Update:

We went to that new church this morning and we brought one of the other Reformed families from our school with us. It was a really good morning!

Sounds wonderful! I pray it will continue to work well for you. And a sermon on the Sabbath and legalism sounds really good. We've been learning the Children's Catechism and I love the "How should the Lord's Day be spent?" question "In prayer and praise, hearing and reading God's Word, and doing good to our fellow men." How true is that!

Blessings,

dawn

(our sermon is going to be on the crucifixion. I expect it to be somewhat difficult, but a blessing too.)

Sounds wonderful! I pray it will continue to work well for you. And a sermon on the Sabbath and legalism sounds really good. We've been learning the Children's Catechism and I love the "How should the Lord's Day be spent?" question "In prayer and praise, hearing and reading God's Word, and doing good to our fellow men." How true is that!

Blessings,

dawn

(our sermon is going to be on the crucifixion. I expect it to be somewhat difficult, but a blessing too.)

I agree and they seem to live it. After bible study today they were all going to a local orphanage to do Sunday school with the children there! Prayer, praise, reading and hearing God's word, doing good to our fellow man... Sounds like they follow exactly that.

We are going again next week.

I agree and they seem to live it. After bible study today they were all going to a local orphanage to do Sunday school with the children there! Prayer, praise, reading and hearing God's word, doing good to our fellow man... Sounds like they follow exactly that.

Not Reformed but wanted to say I'm really happy for you. I remember your posts about the lack of sound theology at the churches there & I'm thrilled that you seem to have found a place to worship. What a blessing & answer to prayer!

I'm glad your Sunday went so well. I hope you are able to find a church family. :) Our Sunday went really well. Today we were studying 1 Samuel 16 and how David is a picture/illustration of Christ and Saul is an illustration of the flesh. There was a lot more to it then that. My oldest ds decided to stay into the teaching today too which was cool.

This verse in particular stood out to me today:

"But the Lord said to Samuel, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees;[a] for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

I am so happy for you! I hope it works out! There is nothing like having a good church family. Our little church plant is tiny but it's nice to have like minded people to fellowship with!

This verse in particular stood out to me today:

"But the Lord said to Samuel, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees;[a] for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7

Amen!!

Thanks! I love Voddie, and we actually own that book but I haven't read it. ;)

Which one of the bottom four is your favorite?

Must read! I bought it for my DH for Christmas a few years ago. We were right in the middle of a transformation in our family and it was like Pastor Voddie was sitting in our room listening to our conversations. He helped us to understand just what it was we were looking for with our family. I read the whole thing before I wrapped it for him for Christmas. When he unwrapped it I stole it and read the whole thing to him. LOL

I bought the Voddie book for my dh because he wanted it. We have seen Voddie twice at our state convention. I will have to figute out where he put it. Heather where do you find the catechism that the blog is refering to? I have a book called Big truths for lttle kids that I'm using with my dc. I think it is based on the Westminster catechism.

I bought the Voddie book for my dh because he wanted it. We have seen Voddie twice at our state convention. I will have to figute out where he put it. Heather where do you find the catechism that the blog is refering to? I have a book called Big truths for lttle kids that I'm using with my dc. I think it is based on the Westminster catechism.

If it's the Heidleberg Catechism, you can find it here. It is part of the Three Forms of Unity which is held by the "Continental Reformed."

Tim Keller and others recently published a new catechism: The New City Catechism.

The Big Truths for Little Kids book is based on the First Catechism which is a re-working of The Catechism for Young Children (we do the Cat for Young Children with only one update from the First Catechism ... "What is a sacred covenant?"). Great book! Both of these are based on the Westminster Shorter Catechism which is a shorter version of the Westminster Larger Catechism all of which are based on the Westminster Confession of Faith.

There are a number of helps for the WSC, including songs and books (Williamson's on the WSC and Training Hearts Teaching Minds)

All of the above (I think, but am unsure regarding New City) are paedo-baptist. I know there's at least one Reformed Baptist catechism out there, but don't know about it.

All of this is what I've learned in the last 8 or so years of having children and being Reformed, so it's possible that I'm confused. You should do other research. Sorry about all the links from Reformed.org. They have good information, but the page is a bear to use.

Thanks a bunch for the links. I was thinking of getting Training Hearts Teaching Minds to use with my older kids next. Do you own this book? Would you recommend it?

I do own it. I have not used it, but am looking forward to using it on the advice of others whose recommendations I respect.

We're working on a devotional called The Heavens by Kevin Hartnett in Circle Time right now. I'm considering using THTM or Valley of Vision when we finish. I was thinking Valley of Vision because I really want to read that, but now I'm thinking THTM because my oldest will be working on the WSC. We're about halfway through The Heavens, so I have a while to decide. [grin]

"Reformed" is a term that is used to describe, on a larger scale, those that hold to the doctrines of grace... otherwise known as Calvinism: http://www.gotquesti...s-of-grace.html

Calvinism is primarily concerned with soteriology.

"Reformed" on a more narrow scale refers to those who follow all or most of Reformed Theology: http://www.gotquesti...d-theology.html

So you can have reformed baptists (which is what we are) who believe in the doctrines of grace but don't do infant baptism (we are also dispensational whereas strict reformed theology is covenantal).

What those of the reformed persuasion have in common typically are salvation by grace alone, the authority and sufficiency of Scripture, and complete sovereignty of God.

HTH!

Thanks for the links, Heather. After reading about Reformed theology, I'm not one! Although I do agree with quite a bit of reformed theology, they lose me at the five points of Calvinism.

You ladies enjoy your conversation, and I'm so glad that you have found a possible church home. No matter what, everyone needs that Christian community and support.

Blessings!

Thanks for the links, Heather. After reading about Reformed theology, I'm not one! Although I do agree with quite a bit of reformed theology, they lose me at the five points of Calvinism.

You ladies enjoy your conversation, and I'm so glad that you have found a possible church home. No matter what, everyone needs that Christian community and support.

Blessings!

Well I don't think I'm 100% Reformed either and I'm not sure that I agree with all of the 5 points of Calvanism(especially 1 in particular), but since this is the closest social group on here to what I believe I want to join the conversation. ;) As long as they let me anyways. I'm also interested to learn more about what Reformed means.

Our sermon was about unity in the faith, based on 1 Corinthians 1:10-16. Our church has recently transitioned from congregational rule and committee leadership to congregational rule with elder leadership. The "teaching elders" are pleased and excited that the transition has gone so smoothly and there is such a unified group in our church. We were cautioned against the type of factions which sometimes arise based on personal preferences like music style, style of dress, social class, and the like.

I was a little disappointed to have missed Sunday School (was subbing for the pastor's wife in Toddler class as the helper), because dh was called upon to give his testimony, which grew into a half hour talk.

We have a bit more contemporary service than the one you described, Heather. Dh plays guitars and other stringed instruments and is part of the worship band. He was asked to play a mandolin for part of the service today. Our pianist was out sick, but his melody style of playing on his electric acoustic guitar made the band sound fine without her, and our singing was unhindered. So proud of him.

Thanks a bunch for the links. I was thinking of getting Training Hearts Teaching Minds to use with my older kids next. Do you own this book? Would you recommend it?

We have used and really liked this book.

Excited about going back to that church on Sunday. I am concerned, though, because it is Thaipusam here which is a HUGE Hindu holiday. This means major traffic jams everywhere you go. Typically, we don't even leave the house on religious holidays here because of the total chaos they cause but I REALLY want to go to church again on Sunday. Hmmm....

Knowing that it will be a bad traffic day, can you take that into account as you plan your travel time or route? I understand the desire to meet to worship God in the congregation of His people! Nothing else can replace it.

Excited about going back to that church on Sunday. I am concerned, though, because it is Thaipusam here which is a HUGE Hindu holiday. This means major traffic jams everywhere you go. Typically, we don't even leave the house on religious holidays here because of the total chaos they cause but I REALLY want to go to church again on Sunday. Hmmm....

I hope you make it!

Well I don't think I'm 100% Reformed either and I'm not sure that I agree with all of the 5 points of Calvanism(especially 1 in particular), but since this is the closest social group on here to what I believe I want to join the conversation. ;) As long as they let me anyways. I'm also interested to learn more about what Reformed means.

By number 1 do you mean Total Depravity?

http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/ask-pastor-john/does-being-totally-depraved-mean-were-always-sinning-no-matter-what

Nope, I was refering to limited atonement. I'm still thinking that one over. ;) I didn't mean number one. I really don't know the order.

Okay. The order isn't important :)

Here is an article on Limited Atonement which gets pretty in depth.

http://www.reformedspokane.org/Doctrine_pages/Calvinism%20%26%20Sovereign%20Grace/books_folder/Saved%20By%20Grace/Saved_By_Grace4.html

We made it!! Actually, the ride there wasn't bad at all... The usual 25-30 minutes. The ride home was a little crazy though. Thaipusam parades were in full swing (we passed one on the way home and I got woozy when I saw all the needles and metal bars sticking through the man's skin but I digress). So it took us about 90 minutes to get home.

It was totally worth it though.

This week we were better prepared and we stayed for the bible study/ Sunday school after the service. The elder leading the study blew me away with his depth of knowledge and Christ-centered lesson.

In addition, my dd went to her class and stayed there without one of us for the first time ever!!

It was an awesome morning. With service, brunch, children's catechism, then adult/ child bible study, it is a long morning... about 4 hours all together... But it flew by because everyone was so focused on worship and study. I am totally thrilled so far. :)

Okay. The order isn't important :)

Here is an article on Limited Atonement which gets pretty in depth.

http://www.reformeds..._By_Grace4.html

This is a good article. Another issue that I didn't see mentioned (maybe I missed it?) is that if the atonement was not sufficient and effective unto salvation but only for the possibility of salvation, then the sins of all those who are not saved are being paid for twice - once on the cross, and again in hell.

No church is perfect, hope you find something that works. I think the home church thing is a far second to attending a church church, but in your situation I can completely understand it being the only option. I imagine you've spoken at length with your husband about what you will consider closed-handed and open-handed issues. It can be hard to stick to those- I find myself wanting to put open handed things in the other category quite often. (Musical style, sense of community for moms, sunday school teachers that "get" my kids, for recent examples.) We're also reformed Baptists and have the distinct pleasure of membership at Hinson Baptist here, but it took a while to get ourselves to "our" church. We did a lot of research into doctrine.

Sorry it's tough where you are, and kudos for holding tight to "doctrine matters". If you didn't have kids, I would probably be the lone one lobbying for you to find the least-bad church and be a member who lives the life of a squeaky-loving wheel. Not a fun church experience, and not appropriate for kids, but maybe something we are sometimes called to do as well.

Jumping in late on the conversation....

I'm so happy that you enjoyed the worship and Bible Study! Maybe this will be your new church home?

We stayed home from church today. Enjoying a day of rest more than anything else. I worked extra hours last week covering for a gal with the flu. Dh was away from home for 3 days. Church is a 45 minute drive both ways, so we really wanted to stay home.

We are members of a PCA church that is going through a transition time. We moved here over 4 years ago certain that God placed us in that particular congregation. I have never been totally happy there, but dh has felt that is where we are to be. Last night, when we were discussing to go to church today or stay home, I voiced again that sometimes I wish we went to a different church. For the first time dh did not say, "This is w here God has us." He said, "I don't know where else to go." I want so bad for the transition time to be OVER and to be happy HERE. I really do not want to go elsewhere.

I am a part of a fantastic Bible study on Psalm 119. I have not been able to keep up with the daily devotions that are a part of the study. And, I've not been able to do all the homework. But, spending time... extended time... in Psalm 119 has been so very RICH! Meat and potatoes to my spirit!

My background: Southern Baptist to Episcopalian to Charismatic to Presbyterian. ( Long story. Don't ask. :001_smile: ) I glean some truth from each of these but seek ultimate truth only in Christ. I find/think/believe that reformed doctrine is the closest to the Bible.

Looking forward to being a part of this group!