Menu

Having trouble finding the humor in this although I am sure one day it will be funny...

QuirkyKapers

We decided it was time to paint some of our rooms inside. We had a relative over to help. As we are painting, I look over and he is using my good shirt as a paint shirt. The shirt was folded on top of the dog cage in a totally different area than where we were painting. Never asked if it was o.k. When I discovered "the rag", I very kindly said, "Oh, I think you are using my shirt instead of a rag." I went to soak the shirt to try and get paint off. Person asks what I was doing, so I tell. Next morning, person had gotten up before us to clean. He had dumped out the shirt and it was sitting on the counter. I again said, this needs to stay wet until I can clean it better. He just looks at me. As I am leaving to go somewhere, I can't find my coat. Person says, "Maybe it is soaking in the bowl". Grrrrr...... No, I'm sorry. Nothing. If you make a mistake, own it and apologize. I have tried to get this shirt clean. No avail. I realize it is just a stupid shirt. But I had only worn it once. It matched perfectly with a skirt I got. Moral: Don't leave clothes out when you are having people paint. *sigh*

We decided it was time to paint some of our rooms inside. We had a relative over to help. As we are painting, I look over and he is using my good shirt as a paint shirt. The shirt was folded on top of the dog cage in a totally different area than where we were painting. Never asked if it was o.k. When I discovered "the rag", I very kindly said, "Oh, I think you are using my shirt instead of a rag." I went to soak the shirt to try and get paint off. Person asks what I was doing, so I tell. Next morning, person had gotten up before us to clean. He had dumped out the shirt and it was sitting on the counter. I again said, this needs to stay wet until I can clean it better. He just looks at me. As I am leaving to go somewhere, I can't find my coat. Person says, "Maybe it is soaking in the bowl". Grrrrr...... No, I'm sorry. Nothing. If you make a mistake, own it and apologize. I have tried to get this shirt clean. No avail. I realize it is just a stupid shirt. But I had only worn it once. It matched perfectly with a skirt I got. Moral: Don't leave clothes out when you are having people paint. *sigh*

So this man was wearing your shirt? Did it fit him? This whole incident seems so absolutely weird to me. Even if it were an old paint shirt filled with stains, it seems incredibly strange. Was there any discussion about him borrowing clothes at all? I just can't imagine ever putting on someone else's clothes without asking, even if they were the oldest and raggedest clothes ever. I have been helping do painting at a friend's house recently, and I can assure you I brought my own paint clothes!

But then it gets weirder and weirder! The lack of apology when you told him, and when you soaked the shirt. And then dumping it on the counter! And the comment about your coat!

Is there any way . . . I'm sure there isn't . . . but is it possible it wasn't your shirt? If it happened that it was his shirt (that just happened to look exactly like yours?) then his actions make a lot more sense. Then we'd be able to find some humor too! It would be a whole comedy of errors thing.

Otherwise . . . I'm flummoxed.

Oh- he wasn't wearing the shirt, just using it as a paint rag. Ok that puts some humor in the situation. Man wearing women's shirt to paint in :) Yes, good question, why? Never again.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I read "using it as a paint shirt" to mean he was wearing it. :lol: Using it as a rag makes so much more sense. Well, not sense exactly. Still weird. But just weird weird, not back-slowly-away weird. Good grief!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I read "using it as a paint shirt" to mean he was wearing it. :lol: Using it as a rag makes so much more sense. Well, not sense exactly. Still weird. But just weird weird, not back-slowly-away weird. Good grief!

:lol: I have been picturing this all night. Since the person is so much taller than me, I think it would only go on around his neck. Yep that would be weird, weird.

My dd and her friend were having lots of fun cutting up some old clothes friend's mum had given them.

They were making/cutting-out clothes to put on the disgruntled cats, while we chatted.

Then she jumped up, too late. They had gotten more supplies from the same place and cut up one of her favourites.

Not just my dd, and not a new shirt, but we were sorry and said so. My dd was very upset.

Once done, tis done.

Can't rewind.

By the way, I always use a paint rag, (either that or the overalls I wear to paint).

It's good to lift off the bits of hair or gung that can get on the brush, and it would have been better to ask, but when younger I probably would have tried to joke about it if I was embarrassed about doing something like that.

Now I've got a bit more confidence to just apologise.

But again, it's too late to undo now.

And too soon to laugh (apart from the cross-dressing image you now have).

That is awful!!!! I mean, it's incredibly rude to just use a shirt without asking, but then to take it out of where it was soaking and to make snippy comments???? I can (I guess) understand using a shirt as a rag. Well, no, not really. Going and getting a shirt from somewhere else - a SHIRT - not a towel or something is just horrible. But then to not apologize profusely and offer to replace it???? What a jerk!!! Is this typical of him?

Unfortunately, yes, apparently this is typical for him. I knew that there were issues. This is the first time in a long time that he was in our house. The other annoying thing was I specifically told him, here is what we need help with. I could tell he didn't want to do what I said. When I got more specific and said he could sand this or paint that, he didn't do it. Or he said let's not start too many projects. Basically he did his own thing. If I gave him any instruction, he ignored it or did it his way even when I told him to do it x way. This is dh's relative. Dh didn't feel comfortable supporting what I said. Apparently, this person can't listen to anything perceived as authority over him. Dh thought it would just make it worse so he let him do his own thing. After all, the things the person did were other things that we needed done too. Yes, dh and have processed this whole situation. I had told dh why didn't he just tell him those other things do need to be done, let's add them to the list, but these things are what we need to start with. Dh never thought of saying that. Unfortunately, in the moment, neither did I since I was so flipping angry about not being listened to. So, like I said, never. ever. again. Not worth all the discussion dh and I had to have after the fact.

I think the hardest thing for me was growing up, I wasn't taken seriously. I was treated like I knew nothing about anything. People of course can still say things. But, in my home. No. Just no. Treat me with respect. Take me seriously. Listen. If you think the way I asked for something to be done is wrong, talk it out with me. Don't just ignore and proceed in the way you think is the right way. If you just want to be defiant because you don't like taking directions, good luck in life. I don't have sympathy for all your sob stories how everyone has wronged you and nothing is your fault. O.K. rant over :leaving: :rolleyes: