Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week one

Robin M

Happy New Year! Welcome to our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to all our regulars, to all those joining in and those following our progress. The goal is to read 52 books. How you get there is up to you. All the mini challenges are optional. Mix it up anyway you like and most importantly, have fun. The rules are simple:

1. The challenge will run from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013.

2. Our book weeks will begin on Sunday (except for the first week)

3. Participants may join at any time.

4. All books are acceptable except children books.**

5. All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, etc.

6. Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2013.

7. Books may overlap other challenges.

**in reference to children books. If it is a child whose reading it and involved in the challenge, then that's okay. If an adult is doing read aloud with kids, the book should be geared for the 9 - 12 age group and above and over 100 pages. If adult reading for own enjoyment, then a good rule of thumb to go by "is there some complexity to the story or is it too simple?" If it's too simple, then doesn't count.

We have a blog Read 52 Books in 52 weeks where you can link up to your blog and book reviews. Every Sunday, I'll start a new thread here in the Chat room.(usually around 10:00 a.m. pst) Plus a blog post with Mr. Linky on the 52 Books blog where I'll highlight authors, books from Well Educated Mind and whatever else comes to mind. If you have any questions, ask away and either me or our regulars will be more than happy to answer.

Also throughout the year, I'll be presenting you with random mini weekly challenges such as pick a book by its cover, your birth year or one with a certain number or color. Challenge you to read a book in a different genre or a new to you author.

Your first mission, should you choose to accept it, involves reading across the continents. We are starting off the year in Canada and will eventually end up Antarctica. Every couple months we'll travel to another continent. You can travel along or meander your way around the world. So put on your reading shoes, get comfortable and enjoy.

What are you reading this week?

Link to 2012 52 books wrap up

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of starting a book blog this year. Any suggestions on how to get started? I am on Goodreads, is there something there I could utilize or should I go somewhere else. This is new territory for me and I'm still not sure if I want to dive into blogging or not. I'm a pretty private person online.

Thinking of starting a book blog this year. Any suggestions on how to get started? I am on Goodreads, is there something there I could utilize or should I go somewhere else. This is new territory for me and I'm still not sure if I want to dive into blogging or not. I'm a pretty private person online.

Blogger is your best bet for starting a blog. It's easy and as private as you want it to be. The only people who will see it are the ones you give the link to... like us. :) There are several people here who started blogs who only talk about the books they read.

I started on a new book this morning, and couldn't put it down! LOL, the husband was home and the kids were lazy after staying up too late. It felt SO good to just sit and read the day away, I haven't done that in years and it just felt SO good. I read The Absolutist by John Boyne. Heartbreaking, and my goodness does he have a way with words. I'm doing the A-Z challenge, so off to find a "B" book.

If I do two in a week, do I count them both toward my 52?

Still working on all things Thomas Cromwell...: PT-AM704_BK_Cov_DV_20091009192537.jpghttp://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703746604574461110318457866.html Looking forward to the 2013 reading year! I will definitely be joining the Canadian reading challenge.

Every time I see that cover of that book I want to read it. Adding it to my wishlist for when buying ban is over.

I'm rereading the HP series and am on Deathly Hallows. I haven't decided what to read next.

Great series and my son keeps slipping into my room, grabbing one of the books and rereading it.

I started on a new book this morning, and couldn't put it down! LOL, the husband was home and the kids were lazy after staying up too late. It felt SO good to just sit and read the day away, I haven't done that in years and it just felt SO good. I read The Absolutist by John Boyne. Heartbreaking, and my goodness does he have a way with words. I'm doing the A-Z challenge, so off to find a "B" book. If I do two in a week, do I count them both toward my 52?

Have fun with the A - Z challenge. Yes, you can count both books. No one has to stick with one book a week. Any book you read counts toward the total.

I have a few in various stages of being read, The Aenid, Three Mile Island, and Physics and Technology for Future Presidents.

I put Herzog (for the Canadian Challenge) and The Genius in All of Us on hold at the library. I hope they're ready to pick up b the weekend.

I tried yesterday to start a blog on blogger. Haven't figured it all out yet.

I'm reading Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard right now. I have Zen to Done waiting, and Getting Things Done should be delivered tomorrow. I would love to finish these up by Sunday. We'll see...

Starting a blog takes a bit of time when you want to get creative with it. Play around with it for a while, have fun and make it what you want it to be.

I've just started Kisses From Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption by Katie J Davis and Beth Clark. I have this feeling that I'm looking for less and more at the same time. Less stuff, less selfishness, less stress, etc. More love for others, more peace, more seeking to do whatever I can. It may or may not be a theme in the books I read this year. The book Enough: Finding More by Living With Less by Will Davis Jr. is next on my nightstand.

I'm starting the year with Good Omens and The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke - both for my book group. I'm thinking about taking the Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature course over at coursera. If I do, then between that course and my sf/fantasy book group, I may just get sick of the stuff for awhile.

Also, I have finally decided on categories for the 5/5/5 challenge:

dusty books

poetry

writing

magic/magical realism

Walt Whitman

I've been looking at the magic(al) realism book lists on goodreads, and wikipedia, but recommendations would be awesome.

I resurrected an old blog I started right before Adrian got sick. I put it in my sig line.

I am reading Wuthering Heights. One of my goals is to read a significant number of classics, and I chose to start with this one because my oldest has to read it for Brit Lit.

I'm enjoying the vocabulary.

I tried yesterday to start a blog on blogger. Haven't figured it all out yet.

I'm reading Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard right now. I have Zen to Done waiting, and Getting Things Done should be delivered tomorrow. I would love to finish these up by Sunday. We'll see...

Who is the author of Getting Things Done? Several books with this title come up on Goodreads.

Thanks.

I've just started Kisses From Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption by Katie J Davis and Beth Clark. I have this feeling that I'm looking for less and more at the same time. Less stuff, less selfishness, less stress, etc. More love for others, more peace, more seeking to do whatever I can. It may or may not be a theme in the books I read this year. The book Enough: Finding More by Living With Less by Will Davis Jr. is next on my nightstand.

Lisa,

I keep looking at Kisses from Katie. Please let me know what you think of it.

It is the most beautiful New Year's Day here sunny, 72 degrees and a nice breeze. I'm headed out to the back porch to finish Beauty (A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast). I have also started my "epic audiobook while I cross-stitch" challenge. :) I'm listening to Les Miserables - the 60 hour version. I am loving this book. I agree with whoever said they like listening to the classics. The only problem is that I need to see the french words so I can actually know what the narrator is saying. I'm better at reading french than listening to it.

I'm reading CS Lewis- Out of the Silent Planet. Have to say so far I'm a bit disappointed. I've always enjoyed his other books. This one, not so much.

I'm thinking about putting the Space Trilogy on my list this year. We have the second two volumes and every time I'm at a used book sale I see them and can't remember which volume we need! I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'm not a big sci fi person but I generally like Lewis.

I'm near the beginning of Gotham by Mike Wallace. It's huge and non-fiction and over 1000 pages so I expect to read a few shorter things alongside it. This week I will probably finish Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics and Tomie DePaola's book Christmas Remembered which is a collection of short essays. I don't usually read modern novels but I was given a couple for Christmas so I will probably blow through a few in the first couple weeks here to get my 52 books off to a good start. I probably have more non-fiction chunksters on my reading shelf than is realistic for this year!

I had to leave Henry V and his men at the beginning of the Battle of Agincourt last night when it was time to leave for a friend's party! How will it end??! It isn't Shakespeare, but a fun work of historical fiction by Bernard Cornwell, called Agincourt: A Novel, which I found thanks to all the Kindle Daily Deals over the holidays. It is a good read, though I have to say that once again I am so very thankful not to be living in the Middle Ages.

I think that is going to be my last 2012 book and I'll start on the 2013 titles tonight or tomorrow.

Happy New Year to all the regulars and a warm welcome to the newcomers!

I've got 3 I'm working on currently. To Marry an English Lord is interesting, but not interesting enough to keep me up reading, so that stays on my nightstand.

51Rq7sKClmL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

Getting Things Done I'm just starting and I need to read it in the morning or I start feeling like a failure. Sad, but true.

51i9IjTV4UL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

Let's Pretend This Never Happened started out being hilarious in a sick and twisted kind of way. I looked past the offensive language b/c of the humor. But, It is very quickly losing its appeal and I'm probably going to scrap it b/c the author so clearly trounces on some of my deeply held beliefs and I'm not finding it amusing any more. Plus, there are some things in the book I'd NEVER want my kids to read, so it shouldn't be around the house. JMHO though, not trying to start a debate about book labeling or anything like that. Some of the book made me laugh out loud.

41SYwa1BGcL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

I'm on the lookout for a read a loud with Dc and some fiction for me for the next week.

This week my goal is to finish a book I started after Christmas: How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster. I'm on page 64 out of 296 and so far all of his insights seem fairly simplistic. Either this book is for people with no exposure to lit analysis or I know more about reading than I thought I did. :p I'm hoping he dives a bit deeper as the book progresses.

I'm also hoping to finish up Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It's been sitting on my bookcase half read for the past six months. Time to tie up loose ends.

I ordered 12 or 13 books with my Christmas money/gift cards that should be arriving in the next couple days. So after I finish these two I will be able to choose two of the new ones to read next (my own dusty book challenge - before reading a new book I have to choose and read a dusty book).

I am excited for a fresh start!

I had to leave Henry V and his men at the beginning of the Battle of Agincourt last night when it was time to leave for a friend's party! How will it end??! It isn't Shakespeare, but a fun work of historical fiction by Bernard Cornwell, called Agincourt: A Novel, which I found thanks to all the Kindle Daily Deals over the holidays. It is a good read, though I have to say that once again I am so very thankful not to be living in the Middle Ages.

This sounds fun, and I just bought it to read when I'm finished with my current selection. Thanks!

Current read: South to Alaska, by Nancy Owens Barnes

http://www.amazon.co...south to alaska

I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale.

Are you enjoying it? I've got that checked out from the library and can't seem to get it started, not sure if I feel like I want to... Need a little shove into it, if you've got one for me!

I finished out last year at 39 books, aiming for the 52 mark once again. One of these years I'll get there. Starting out with a couple of Sigmund Brouwers on my nightstand and Fannie Flagg waiting for me at the library. Also a couple of nonfiction titles that I'll list when I complete each.

My goal is to read daily. I have a tendency to read in chunks. Waiting for chunks of available time as opposed to sneaking in a chapter whenever I can has, I think, slowed my progress in the past. This will be the year of mobile books this year, so hopefully I can put my kindle to extra service.

Are you enjoying it? I've got that checked out from the library and can't seem to get it started, not sure if I feel like I want to... Need a little shove into it, if you've got one for me!

I finished out last year at 39 books, aiming for the 52 mark once again. One of these years I'll get there. Starting out with a couple of Sigmund Brouwers on my nightstand and Fannie Flagg waiting for me at the library. Also a couple of nonfiction titles that I'll list when I complete each.

My goal is to read daily. I have a tendency to read in chunks. Waiting for chunks of available time as opposed to sneaking in a chapter whenever I can has, I think, slowed my progress in the past. This will be the year of mobile books this year, so hopefully I can put my kindle to extra service.

It was a slow start but I am really enjoying it. It surprises me that it was written almost 30 years ago because I can see parallels to events that have happened recently. The whole premise of the book does not seem that far fetched which is quite terrifying. It does jump around a bit but I don't find it hard to follow at all.

I am off to Glasgow. Jane Harris's novel Gillespie and I opens in 1888 with the backdrop of the Glasgow International Exhibition. Our narrator wants to tell us of a great artist, Gillespie, who never achieved the notoriety she thinks he deserves. But is the reality that the narrator paints an accurate portrayal of her relationship with Gillespie--or does her version of the tale tell us more about the narrator herself?

9780062103208.jpg

Now to give some thought to which Canadian author goes on my list...I feel confident that I can fulfill the Canadian and Dusty Book challenges simultaneously.

OK, this is my first year here, and I am glad I decided to join. I am starting off with Les Miserables, and my plan is to read the classics. I have a zero dollar budget for books for *me*, so all of mine will be what I can find free for Kindle. There are plenty available too!

Happy Reading! :cheers2: <----that should be coffee

I checked out today:

The Wilder Life

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

The Tiger's Wife

Lily and I are doing a mother-daughter bookclub this year too and we're starting with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe so I'm reading it too. I've never actually read any of the Chronicles of Narnia so I'm excited to read it for the first time with her. :)

I'm joining this year. I enjoy reading but need some motivation to actually do it for some reason. I've also given myself permission to just read, instead of trying to make sure I read something important or such. I'm aiming to read and enjoy it. I'm hoping as well to get some good suggestions for reading as well.This week I am focusing on finally finishing CS Lewis' The Weight of Glory.

There are some benefits to being off one's feet. New Year's Day saw me starting and finishing Shakespeare's 'Measure for Measure.' I surely hope I can find a good movie version when I can get off my tail and off to the library. Since I started my Shakespeare "study" I've only found one really good movie and that was the BBC Classics version of Midsummer Nights Dream. That's so good it makes me forget I don't even like the story!

I am reading The Father's Tale by Michael O'Brien.

I'd love to get my hands on this, but will have to be ILL. I was given Island of the World for Christmas and I'm excited to re-read it.

I'm still working on The White Horse King. Only a little left, but I keep watching football instead. I'm enjoying this chapter on the education renewal under Alfred the Great.

Good stuff.

Lisa,

I keep looking at Kisses from Katie. Please let me know what you think of it.

I will update next week for sure! I've just started it, but already one quote jumped out at me. She was describing comforting a small boy who had already experienced more trauma and pain in his little life than anyone should in a lifetime, and she writes: "God reminded me again that I have ONE purpose, in Uganda, and in life, and that is to love." (the word I put in caps is actually italicizes, but I don't know how to do anything from the iPad and felt it deserved emphasis--didn't intend to imply shouting lol).

Will let you know how the whole book goes! :)

Three Mile Island

Is this the one by J. Samuel Walker? Please post your review when you're done.

I'm starting the year with Good Omens

Also, I have finally decided on categories for the 5/5/5 challenge: dusty books poetry writing magic/magical realism Walt Whitman I've been looking at the magic(al) realism book lists on goodreads, and wikipedia, but recommendations would be awesome.

Love Good Omens! Seems like a book you would enjoy too, I think, crstarlette!

Have you read a lot of magical realism? I think One Hundred Years of Solitude is a given in that category, if you haven't read it already. (However, I didn't enjoy his book Love in the Time of Cholera.) Also, Allende's The House of the Spirits is pretty popular. I read The Master and Margarita last year (for the Russian challenge) & really enjoyed it. The other book I read for the Russian challenge would also qualify in the magical realism category: The Dream Life of Sukhanov (especially good if you like/appreciate/know modern & surrealist art/artists). Also, Murakami's Kafka on the Shore was great, imo. (Many cite his book, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, as his best. Haven't read it, but it's on my list.... His book 1Q84 is on my list for this year too.) I see The Night Circus popping up on the lists you mentioned -- did you read that one last year? I've heard Pedro Páramo is great, but I haven't read that one yet. Calvino would probably be a good one to add in your category.

I see that Hopscotch is on one of the Goodreads lists. That's one that Robin & I are planning to read at some point. Maybe you could join us on that one...?

I love magical realism/surreal books. A few I didn't notice right away on the lists, but that I'd recommend are Sleeping in Flame by Jonathan Carroll, The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall, and Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi. (I loved all three of these.)

Can't wait to see your final list!

I am reading Wuthering Heights.

I'll be curious for your final review. I re-read this last year for my book club. I really didn't remember it (had read it in high school), other than "Heathcliff" and "the moors".

Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett).

It is strange to be back at Number Zero again http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/rolleyes.gif

I know many love Pillars, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. (I did finish it, though.)

I agree -- zero is weird! LOL.

Happy New Year to all the regulars and a warm welcome to the newcomers!

Like JennW says... Happy New Year to all of you!

Let's Pretend This Never Happened started out being hilarious in a sick and twisted kind of way.

I thought this book was hilarious (if profanity-filled)....

I am off to Glasgow. Jane Harris's novel Gillespie and I opens in 1888 with the backdrop of the Glasgow International Exhibition. Our narrator wants to tell us of a great artist, Gillespie, who never achieved the notoriety she thinks he deserves. But is the reality that the narrator paints an accurate portrayal of her relationship with Gillespie--or does her version of the tale tell us more about the narrator herself?

I've had this one on my want to read list for a year now. I'm hoping a PaperbackSwap copy will come through soon! Can't wait to read your review of it.

For general reading, I'm starting the year re-reading my very favorite author, Diana Gabaldon.

For the Canada challenge:

• Anne of Green Gables (which I've never read before)
  • Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat (on request at the library)

ETA: Realized I had the wrong Anne book listed. :)