Menu

Weird, stupid question. Where can i get non-mint flavored toothpaste for my kid?

Halcyon

My kid HATES the taste of every toothpaste i have bought him. So for christmas, i thought a fun stocking stuffer would be a toothpaste that DIDNT taste like mint or anything remotely like that. I am having a heckuva time finding toothpaste that fits the bill. I know of the 'joke' bacon and cupcake toothpastes, but I was hoping to find something that we could actually use on an ongoing basis.

Ideas?

I'm pretty sure we used to buy bubblegum flavored toothpaste. It was definitely a kids' brand. I'll try to find the name and post it. I'm pretty sure that, when we bought it, Little Bear's picture was on the tube.

I know that Colgate kids' toothpaste comes in a Bubble Fruit flavor. I think it's the one with Spongebob on the tube.

EDITED TO ADD: Found it! The one with Little Bear is Orajel kids' toothpaste, but it's called "Training Toothpaste," so it might seem too babyish. The Spongebob stuff might be a safer bet.

I think that might actually be Colgate (we currently have a watermelon flavored with a polar bear on the seasonal label :D), but in any case I've seen a variety of flavors and licensed characters near where the kids toothbrushes are sold at Walmart and Target.

THAT'S what it is, thank you.

Why don't you just show him how to make his own?

Baking soda, dash of water until preferred texture, add a bit of whatever clear flavoring he likes. You can buy flavorings at the store. Or just add a dash of lemon juice.

ETA: I literally get nauseated and will even throw up at the smell, much less the taste, of mint. There are several cinnamon toothpastes out there, but they burn. Like red hots cinnamon candy? Ick.

Concurring with the Tom's Strawberry being a good option. I thought "strawberry" flavored toothpaste sounded gross when my son was a toddler (being used to the awful artificial "strawberry" commonly used in products) but Tom's was nothing like that. It is very light, and not too sweet.

I'm not sure if they still make it, but Tom's also used to make a Mango flavor that was in a similar vein. Flavored, but mild.

Tom's also makes a Fennel flavored one (that I like) but it is strongly flavored, more like typical mint in intensity, so you might not like that one.

Bill

My chidren's dentist is a very close friend.

My youngest went through a phase of hating all toothpaste (minty, bubblegum, watermelon, Tom's, and several $$ wasted on other varieties). I finally thought (duh) I'll call their dentist for advice.

She told me that brushing carefully with water and FLOSSING (her emphasis) were sufficient. Definitely don't want to turn teeth brushing into a negative experience!

Getting the brushing/flossing habit established is more important than toothpaste ;). Then try to reintroduce toothpaste in small quantities.

Good luck

My kids like the colgate Strawberry and Watermelon. My DS is 11 and hates all mint tastes and toothpastes. He likes the watermelon ok, but he says the very best is Winnie the Pooh fruit flavored. I have no idea what it tastes like but DS doesn't even care if it is babyish. He begs me to get him the Winnie the Pooh ones whenever I can. Unfortunately, it is becoming harder to find. I've tried other "berry" flavored ones from the same brand in the past but he doesn't like those. Only Winnie the Pooh will do. He doesn't like the texture of Tom's.

on amazon . . . .

toms of main has silly strawberry, and outrageous orange-mango

aquafresh has bubblegum (sorry, that' bubblemint)

colgate 2 in 1 has strawberry, and watermelon

jason kids only has orange, and strawberry

xler has strawberry-banana

there were a bunch of others

All three of my kids (oldest is now 19yo) will only use Tom's of Maine strawberry toothpaste. HEB has stopped carrying it, so now I have to go to Walgreen's or Target to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Toms-Maine-Anticavity-Toothpaste-Strawberry/dp/B0044XBQ98/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1355983978&sr=1-1&keywords=toms+of+maine+strawberry+toothpaste

DD likes the kids crest in strawberry and watermelon. I THINK it's crest. It's not a tube, more like a squarish thing that stands up

:iagree: My 7 year old will only use the watermelon. Usually around the holidays you can even find it in fun wrappers, this time it's kind of blue with a cute polar bear on it.

Just checked and it's actually Colgate.