Menu

Who Do You Buy Gifts For?

Georgiana Daniels

This year we're moving (hopefully one month from yesterday, if there are no glitches) so our spending has been reduced. In years past, we bought not only for our immediate family, but also for nephews, friends, and a small gift for coaches, etc. This year--not happening. I feel bad, but we need the cash for appraisal/inspection/moving expenses.

Who do you buy for?

This year we're moving (hopefully one month from yesterday, if there are no glitches) so our spending has been reduced. In years past, we bought not only for our immediate family, but also for nephews, friends, and a small gift for coaches, etc. This year--not happening. I feel bad, but we need the cash for appraisal/inspection/moving expenses.

Who do you buy for?

I'll list the folks to whom we give gifts, but I want to say this first: Do *not* feel bad. Nearly every family experiences years of plenty and years of... decidedly *not* plenty. *wry grin* Best wishes on your move!

This year's list:

Our daughters

Our mothers

My sister

The current swim coaches

The old coach

The piano, guitar, and violin teachers

The USPS carrier and UPS delivery person

The garbage hauler

We buy for:

our ds

each other

our moms

siblings and siblings-in-law*

nieces and nephews

great-niece (new this year!)

This year, I also bought a gift for our horseback riding instructor. Ds and I have been taking lessons since June, and we love it. She's a great teacher and a really sweet person.

*This year, my mom, bro and sis-in-law, adult nephew and his wife, and sis-in-law's dad all decided to draw names instead of buying gifts for everyone. So that was different.

We do the following:

DH - Stocking only

DD & DS - Gifts & stocking

My mom - gifts

My dad - something small, like pics of the kids, a photo calendar, mug, etc. that is all he wants

MIL - up to DH, but he generally does nothing, so I usually try to get a little something small that I think she will like

FIL - up to DH, but he generally does nothing. If I ever saw FIL I'd get him something, too, but he never comes around even when invited.

Sometimes I get my godmother something, just depends.

That is it.

I'll list the folks to whom we give gifts, but I want to say this first: Do *not* feel bad. Nearly every family experiences years of plenty and years of... decidedly *not* plenty. *wry grin* Best wishes on your move!

This year's list:

Our daughters

Our mothers

My sister

The current swim coaches

The old coach

The piano, guitar, and violin teachers

The USPS carrier and UPS delivery person

The garbage hauler

That is really generous to include USPS and UPS! I don't know ours anymore. My hubby is a Schwans man and several people give him a little something. We are always grateful.

PS. Trying really hard not to feel guilty!

Something small for dh

Gifts and stocking for dd

Dmil yearly gift of fuzzy socks

Dfil thermal socks (dmil and dfil gifts from dd)

Dh's nieces and nephews (10 Walmart gift card each)

DB something he can use for school

My mom, nieces, nephew and other DB get their gifts at tax time when my mom comes down here to shop :)

Anyone else depends on money

My 3 kids

My nephews and niece

My brother and SIL

My parents

Best friend & her dd (my goddaughter)

MIL

Dh's brothers and we don't exchange via mutual agreement

Dh and I don't exchange much. He usually gets me earrings (inexpensive ones). He's impossible - I've gotten him things like winter boots, or coat, but he doesn't need those every year and I'm stuck.

Oh, and I usually get something small for the music teachers, but have never gotten around to any other outside teachers.

children

dh's immediate family (mother, sisters and their grandchildren. their children are adults, so I don't buy them anything.)

a few close friends/other

I send fudge or cookies (or such) to other people I wish to gift.

can you do a plate of homemade cookies or fudge? (or something simple. a bottle of sparkling cider - you can buy a three-pack at costco.)

This year I bought for:

My girls

My DH

My MIL

My SIL (they do a sibling switch thing, so only one of them a year)

My Brother

My DD's therapists (3 of them)

My DD's dance teacher.

Even with all this though, our entire Christmas budget fell below $225. I do some fancy chocolates for the teachers/therapist, a $20 gift for both SIL and my brother, and most of our money goes to our kids, although we do sometimes get a nice-ish family gift (this year it is a Roku).

It varies. This year, DH and I bought for:

Kids (4)

Each other

My parents

His parents (he has 2 sets, but his mother made me SWEAR not to buy her anything this year. she was adament, so I didn't)

My ex-husband (from the kids, until they have their own money...they usually pick out or make something of their own to give him, too)

His ex-wife (from the younger kid, until she has her own money....same caveat as above)

My brother, his wife and their 4 kids, including sending gas money so they can afford to drive from Oregon to central California to visit our other sister and her family

One of my great nieces

My niece's step-daughter

My sister's boyfriend's 2 daughters

White Elephant gifts for the big family Christmas party

One of my sisters and I usually buy for each other but this year we gave everything to our brother and his family, as they've had a rough couple of years.

Sometimes other siblings buy for each other, sometimes not.

If we are going to actually see any of the young nieces and nephews, we'll buy for them. If not, we usually don't. We also don't typically buy for the nieces and nephews once they're out of high school.

I did not buy any teacher gifts this year, although I usually do, including the bus driver that I adore. I just didn't get around to it, and DD hasn't asked about it, so I let it go this once.

I buy for my children, my parents, and two of my brothers who are not married. I decided this year I was no longer buying for nieces and nephews or married siblings. It was becoming too much for me, and I felt the need to pull back. I am happy I made that decision. :001_smile:

neither dh or I have surviving parents. We have adult nieces and nephews and we do not buy for them but we do buy for their dc which includes 1 great nephew and 4 great nieces all under the age of 6. My dd picks out their gifts, usually spends about $20 each. We don't buy for anyone else except for our dc. Dh's siblings buy our dc gifts and so do the adult nephews and nieces. Years ago the entire extended family decided to only buy for the children in the family.

When ds was in school I would bake cookies for his teacher and also his bus driver and aide. Ds was on the special bus and the bus driver would not only pick up ds in front of the house but if it was snowy or ice, he would come to the front door and actually carry my ds to the bus so he got a big bag of cookies for Christmas.

children

dh's immediate family (mother, sisters and their grandchildren. their children are adults, so I don't buy them anything.)

a few close friends/other

I send fudge or cookies (or such) to other people I wish to gift.

can you do a plate of homemade cookies or fudge? (or something simple. a bottle of sparkling cider - you can buy a three-pack at costco.)

I do wish I could offer homemade things, but right now half my kitchen stuff is packed. (Never unpacked after last move, thinking we'd be in a home before now.) In general, I think homemade goodies are a wonderful idea!

each other

the kids

my family (parents, sister & her dh)

2 adults in dh's family (because the adults draw names)

nieces & nephews (3 total)

some friends

some of the kids' friends

some teachers/coaches/helpers

Toys for Tots (or similar like an angel tree, children's charity, etc...)

children

my parents

dh's mother (fil is deceased)

nieces and nephews (6, spending 20-30 each)

SIL announced that a college graduate was too old to be included so she was telling her dd she was not participating in the gift exchange. I haven't done, but I will buy her a small something for her apartment as her adult send off--I told SIL this.

I brought up this topic with my brother and he said no one over 18 should get presents. I felt a little whiney, but I pointed out that I've been giving his dd's presents 5 years too long (one is in med school, the other in college); my dc are all younger. Anyway, we sort of agreed on an arbitrary age of 24 to quit including nieces and nephews in child gift exchange. A little old, but we were a little late on this convo I guess. Probably 22 or 23, giving time to finish college and start a career would be better.

DH wants to keep giving to all of the nieces and nephews forever. It's a stretch to do what we do do every year, but he doesn't want to stop. I told him it would get awkward after a while. And very expensive once they started having families.

Always:

our kids

I buy for dh, he buys for me

my parents

dh's parents

one niece

one nephew

my sister and bil

plus various exchange gifts from different groups I'm involved with

Homemade goodies:

neighbors and friends

Sometimes:

Other relatives if we see them. like my cousins kids, as I could never show up somewhere on Christmas and not have something for a child. Usually a book or game.