Menu

Research Survey on Fire Safety Education for Homeschoolers

Hello Everyone,

My husband is a Fire Chief and is doing some research on how the homeschool community receives information on Fire Safety and Emergency Preparedness. He's put together a short, 10 question survey to gather data on the subject. The link to the survey is below, along with a short note from him, if you're interested in contributing.

Thanks!

Tammy

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

This survey is for a research project I am undertaking as part of the National Fire Academy's Executive Fire Officer Program. This anonymous survey is intended to analyze the effectiveness of fire safety education among homeschooling families. One of the challenges we think we are facing is reaching the growing population of homeschoolers with important fire safety and emergency preparedness information. My research intends to establish how effective we are or can be about reaching homeschoolers with this important information. This survey will be open until December 31, 2012.

This is the direct link to the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/25DKHFP

Thank you.

Jeffrey J. Wittig, CFE, CFO

Fire Chief

Travis County Emergency Services District #3

Oak Hill Fire Department

Done--- tell him he'd LOVE PA- we have to provide "safety education, including regular and continuous instruction in the danger and prevention of fires" :coolgleamA:

Done!

And I agree with Rebel Yell - it's nice to have lots of resources available, because the same "stop drop and roll" can get old after a while.

Some fire safety lesson ideas are gathered here.

I'm glad he's doing this! We're really learning about fire safety (dh and I) and how/when to teach the kids. It's definitely been a process. It's been helpful having a recent unit where it's included in my son's cub scout materials. Thanks for looking into this!

Finished the survey.

Our local children's safety village recently asked for a homeschooling parent to volunteer on their curriculum board. I can't attend the meetings because of a previous engagement, but I do get to help review their grade 5 curriculum. I'm excited that different emergency service departments in our community are welcoming us to join their ranks and help them work with us.

I'm glad he's doing this! We're really learning about fire safety (dh and I) and how/when to teach the kids. It's definitely been a process. It's been helpful having a recent unit where it's included in my son's cub scout materials. Thanks for looking into this!

Now that I think of it, a list of topics, sorted by category as well as by general age appropriateness, could be quite useful for homeschoolers.

Our family has a diverse emergency services background. So we tended to just talk about stuff as situations came up. But if we didn't have that background, I'm not sure that we would have known what were important topics, other than smoke detectors, seat belts and not playing with matches.

Is there a website that pulls together lots of different fire education and emergency prep resources from state, federal, non-governmental and professional organizations?

Other than prepping for real situations (from hurricanes to terrorism to snow storms to earthquakes), the best resources we've used have been the emergency prep requirements for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.

Hello Everyone,

My husband is a Fire Chief and is doing some research on how the homeschool community receives information on Fire Safety and Emergency Preparedness. He's put together a short, 10 question survey to gather data on the subject. The link to the survey is below, along with a short note from him, if you're interested in contributing.

Thanks!

Tammy

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

This survey is for a research project I am undertaking as part of the National Fire Academy's Executive Fire Officer Program. This anonymous survey is intended to analyze the effectiveness of fire safety education among homeschooling families. One of the challenges we think we are facing is reaching the growing population of homeschoolers with important fire safety and emergency preparedness information. My research intends to establish how effective we are or can be about reaching homeschoolers with this important information. This survey will be open until December 31, 2012.

This is the direct link to the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/25DKHFP

Thank you.

Jeffrey J. Wittig, CFE, CFO

Fire Chief

Travis County Emergency Services District #3

Oak Hill Fire Department

Would he be willing to start a Fire Safety/Emergency Preparedness thread on these forums? I did not take the survey, since I am not yet homeschooling (preparing to do so). However, one thing I do miss about the paycheck job I used to have was the safety focus my company had and the information and resources we regularly had. I was a high-rise fire warden (volunteer in charge of directing others in case of an emergency on our floor), and I learned a LOT about fires and fire safety back then. The school my kids currently attend has their drills, but no information ever comes home. I feel out of the loop. Oh, and (living in the hurricane-prone Gulf coast but raised in IL & MN) my pet topic is tornado safety -- no one here ever thinks of it, though they are much more common than hurricanes.

BTW, did you know children can sleep through fire alarms? We had a stove-top fire one night (DH forgot about the sugar water he was cooking up for hummingbirds) and, just as I had heard, both of my kids slept right through it, despite the smoke alarms IN THEIR ROOMS shrieking like mad. And I slept through one in my dorm at college, until the floor resident assistant banged on my door. Always check the kids.

With my older children, we talked fairly generally. With the littles, it is different because we've taken emergency preparedness, had home inspections, have mandatory drills, re-do plans and submit yearly, etc. We also get training hours for doing such courses. We feel a lot more able to discuss things with them. Additionally, foster kids tend to be a lot more anxious about things so being prepared helps give security. Oh, and additionally, my hubby is a safety manager.