Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Year 5 and we are doing it again!

Robin M

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just try to leave, Dawn. We'll come after you :001_smile:

I decided today that I'm going to start a notebook for my reading. A page a book with title, author, great quotes and my thoughts. I do reviews on my blog regularly, but my own personal notes get lost.

I love this idea. I'm going to go find me a notebook right now. There's gotta be one around here somewhere...

I was looking at the WEM challenge, and it looks like if I try to do that, I could expanded it to help me meet the 5/5/5 challenge. Would that be right? If I read 5 books in each of those 5 categories, I would meet the requirements of the 5/5/5 AND the WEM mini challenge?

I love this idea. I'm going to go find me a notebook right now. There's gotta be one around here somewhere...

I was looking at the WEM challenge, and it looks like if I try to do that, I could expanded it to help me meet the 5/5/5 challenge. Would that be right? If I read 5 books in each of those 5 categories, I would meet the requirements of the 5/5/5 AND the WEM mini challenge?

Yes Ma'am! :)

Newbie here! I read almost all the posts this year, and probably read close to 52, but never posted. I need to de-lurk. Can I join?!?! You all seem like a fabulous bunch!

You're in! No need to wait until next year. Just pop over to the Book a Week thread and let us know what you're reading right now.

I'm going to try this year too. I've watched the progress you all have made over the year and was always a bit intimidated at the idea of keeping up. I so miss doing my own reading though...most of my reading is school related right now...I'd love to get back to reading for my own enjoyment. Now, off to figure out the "rules". :D

I was doing great up until September....and then, I lost count...and interest( how bad is that???)

I haven't really been reading anything except Facebook and Pinterest and related blogs for myself. I have also been reading a ton of books on my health issues, nutrition, exercise and auto immune problems. I tend to firget that they count in the final count.....so, didn't list them. Add in books on home organization and minimalism, de-cluttering, de-junking, decorating and other "make my life better and not about homescooling" books. I have been reading to my kids....hard books like Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Beowulf .....and easier ones like Harry Potter and short stories like Rip Van Winkle.....but, I have fallen off the book wagon.....and need to get back on.

So, if you guys will have me back, I think I will buy myself a new fun book to read....nothing too hoity toity, or academic, or deep.....and jump in for 2013.

I'm in but can I make a request? Reading the new forums without that hybrid view makes it much harder to scan/skim threads, particularly this one because I'd try to just get the current titles being read! Would it be OK to have everyone NOT include their long list of every book they've read for the year in each post? Or maybe linking to the list on a blog, if possible? I love the lists, but not when I have no choice but to scroll endlessly through them. :)

Oh, see, now I LOVE seeing everyone's lists! I get behind on coming to the thread and I end up being soooo inspired. I especially appreciate those who rate their selections with *stars* or who comment regarding which books were their favs and why.

I join every year. I never get far every year. LOL! I will join again. I love to read and want to continue to purposefully allow myself time to do that for MYSELF.

This past year, I did buy a small blank book to record books I've read and make notes regarding whether I would read it again or not. I also am making a list of books I've read that I would like to own. I seem to never be able to remember those when people ask about gifts. However, like my reading, it fell by the way side.

I guess the big thing is to keep moving forward. Even though I didn't read even 40 books this year, let alone 52, I read far more than I would have without the encouragement and the constant temptations shared in the Book a Week thread. :) So, thank you for doing this again!

I was doing great up until September....and then, I lost count...and interest( how bad is that???)

I haven't really been reading anything except Facebook and Pinterest and related blogs for myself. I have also been reading a ton of books on my health issues, nutrition, exercise and auto immune problems. I tend to firget that they count in the final count.....so, didn't list them. Add in books on home organization and minimalism, de-cluttering, de-junking, decorating and other "make my life better and not about homescooling" books. I have been reading to my kids....hard books like Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Beowulf .....and easier ones like Harry Potter and short stories like Rip Van Winkle.....but, I have fallen off the book wagon.....and need to get back on.

So, if you guys will have me back, I think I will buy myself a new fun book to read....nothing too hoity toity, or academic, or deep.....and jump in for 2013.

The door is always open. Welcome back!

Hi all! I've been lurking in the 52 Books in 52 Weeks threads for several weeks now and love the idea of the challenge. I went back through 2012 and I've only finished 31 so far. I don't know if I'll actually make it to 52 next year (or be able to keep up with the weekly posting) but it should be fun to see how far I get. I hope to join you in 2013!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/lol.gif Every time I see the HUGE images, I know it's gotta be Stacia! LOL I've never seen anyone more in need of a blog. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.gif (kidding, of course)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/lol.gif and http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/blushing.gif

But seriously, have you thought about one? I started my blog last year specifically so I could track my reading (and 52 Books!), and it has been so. much. fun! I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I do. You do a ton of reading and obviously know how to do the images, so after that there really isn't that much more to it. I used Robin and DangerMom and Mental Multivitamin as my inspiration, and ta-da! A blog!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/blush.gif Actually, my goal is to be online LESS than I am now, so starting a blog probably doesn't help w/ a goal like that though. I've got other things going on... http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.gif

Of course, you'd have to keep posting here too because it wouldn't be Book-A-Week without Stacia http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/party.gif

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/001_wub.gif and http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/grouphug.gif and http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/blush.gif

I'm going to give it a try this year. When I'm in a reading mood, I read way more than one book a week. I just have to try and keep up with writing them down.

Just try to leave, Dawn. We'll come after you :001_smile: I decided today that I'm going to start a notebook for my reading. A page a book with title, author, great quotes and my thoughts. I do reviews on my blog regularly, but my own personal notes get lost.

I love this idea. I may need to get a journal just for this.

I'm in again! This challenge has been great for my reading this year. I don't think I've read so many books in a year since - well probably since way back when I read picture books and Nancy Drew mysteries. :o I don't know if I'll be able to reach 52 next year. #5 is due in June and my older kids' school will be getting more demanding, but I know I need to keep reading. I came across an encouraging article on the Ambleside website yesterday, entitled "Mother Culture". It's a bit dated, with references to "domestic service" (I wish! :D) and such, but still very relevant, and it has inspired me to keep reading. :)

I'm in and a newbie! Looking forward to some motivation to kick my reading up a notch. In the last two days I started a 1000page nonfiction book and a 32 hour audiobook. Do they count for next year, which is when I'll finish them? Not that I'm rule-obsessed or anything . . .

I don't think audiobooks should count though. I have tons of them but I use them to cheat!

I used to feel that way until I started reading about dyslexia. Now I understand how audio books totally count. If it weren't for audio books my dh and ds would miss a lot of great books.

I love listening to audio books while I'm getting my youngest to sleep. Sometimes I listen when I'm running.

I'm in and a newbie! Looking forward to some motivation to kick my reading up a notch. In the last two days I started a 1000page nonfiction book and a 32 hour audiobook. Do they count for next year, which is when I'll finish them? Not that I'm rule-obsessed or anything . . .

Yes, they will count for 2013 if that is when you finish them.

I haven't posted much this year, but because of this challenge I read 59 books in 2012. It should be 60 by the end of this week. I quit reading for fun when my kids were born. I read maybe 5-10 books every year for the last 10 years.

This challenge has changed my reading life! Thank you to all who regularly post, because I do read the book reviews, even though I rarely post. I hope to read another 52+ books in 2013. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to see you all joining in. The official 2013 thread will start Tuesday Jan 1st for week one and then our weeks will run from Sunday to Sunday. I usually post the new thread around 10:00 pst and thanks to the wonderful status update in the right sidebar, will leave a heads up when the thread is posted. Ask away if you have any questions. Be sure to check out the 2012 wrap up thread since every one is listing their favorite reads and book lists for the year if you need some ideas.

I've decided on my challenges:

Overall: 100 books (I'm shooting high!).

5/5/5 Challenge:

5 translated novels (including at least 2 Russian novels)

5 ancient history books

5 mythology/ ancient lit books

5 homeschooling/educational books

5 books on the craft of writing fiction

At least 25 must be books I already own.

Only 25 children's books can count towards my total (no picture books)

At least 5 chunksters.

I'm excited!!