Menu

Where does your fashionable teenaged girl shop?

plansrme

Not thrift stores, as neither of us has time to comb through the racks or visit regularly, and not Lands' End, as she is 15 and not 55 (sorry--I know there are fans, but not what I am looking for). Here are the places I have considered:

1. Garnet Hill--nice looks, somewhat her style, maybe a shade too old.

2. Mod Cloth--poor quality and very inconsistent sizing on the items we have ordered.

3. J. Crew--okay but not enough variety. How many years can they sell that same v-neck sweater and cardigan???

4. Gap: maybe, but would like something a little snazzier from time to time. Gap tops tend to all look alike.

5. Abercrombie: no thanks; too many naked people on the walls.

6. DownEast Basics: also not the greatest quality, but maybe worth another look?

7. Delia's--quality issues, also fit, as while she is thin and fit, she is very muscular, and jeans and tops made for juniors tend not to fit great in the shoulders and thighs.

An online presence is almost a necessity. School + gymnastics = no time for hanging around malls. I know there's something between ModCloth and Garnet Hill in price, quality and youthfulness, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

So help, please! I would like to order some things for her for Christmas to spice up her wardrobe, and I'm running out of places to check.

Terri

Kohls- wide range of styles/fashions. Used to be J.C.Penney, but they are going down hill.

Aeropostal, but they are hit or miss. Sometimes they are very t-shirty, and sometimes more gap-ish. Just depends on the year.

Target can be hit or miss as well.

My girls also like Rue 21. ( I don't)

Have you looked at Sears, Dillards, or Macy's?

Molly is 15, tall and lean, but athletically built. No belly, but she's a swimmer (butterfly) so she has shoulders and upper arms. She also goes to public high school in Connecticut so here's a list of places she likes:

Hollister (though it's very casual, EXPENSIVE stuff-- logo hoodies, etc.

American Eagle (not great quality, but fit and style is ok)

Garnet Hill (some stuff)

Eddie Bauer (again, some is too old, but she loves a lot of their cardis and scarves, and the jeans fit her well)

Aeropostale (very much like AE and others)

Forever 21

Charlotte Russe

H&M

Hope that helps!

astrid

I have a 13 year old fashion diva. She loves Kate Spade, but we are on a budget. She does like Forever 21, but they do not have a good return policy. Once they take your money you will never see it again even if you do have the tags on and your receipt. She also loves Kohls, but you need to be careful especially if you do have a fashion diva. They have too many pieces where you wonder where is the rest of it. Target is another one of her faves along with H&M.

You mentioned ModCloth...have you tried Shabby Apple for dresses?

I have, and both of my girls have several dresses from there. Our last order was somewhat bungled, though, and not handled to my satisfaction. I will try them again--they're not on the Permanent Ban List.

A couple of you have mentioned Charlotte Russe, and that may be exactly what I am looking for. I am over there shopping right now. Anyone want to chime in on how their stuff fits, especially a muscular upper body? Small or medium? She is 5'4", so length should be fine, but shoulders and arms tend to be issues in junior-sized clothes.

I'll also try out several of the other recommendations. Thanks, everyone. I am off to cuten-up her wardrobe!

Terri

My teen dd shops most at Old Navy. She loves their jeans because they're the only ones that seem to fit her the right way. She also likes Kohls and Aeropostle. She's picked out some nice sweaters that fit her well on the stage stores website (Bealls, but a different Bealls than we have here in FL).

DD is 16. When she was younger she loved Justice, but it was kind of pricey--we shopped sales there very carefully and bought most things elsewhere. Now she likes a small local chain called Ibiss, and a chain called Hot Topic, which has VERY good sales. She wants to shop at Abercrombie and Fitch, but I will not allow her to because of their slogans, some of which in the past have been racist against Asians.

Forever 21, Aeropastle, The Loft, and occasionally from Talbots Petities and Hollister. Jeans often come from TJ Maxx.

Between the cologne and the half naked guys, I'd be happy to never step food in Hollister again. (I call it the sex on the beach store). Now we know her size we can check online.

Forever 21, Tilly's, American Eagle, Aeropostale (great online sales there) and Delia's. I get some GREAT deals on eBay for her. If you know what size she needs and read the listing carefully, you can get almost new clothes for a fraction of the cost. I especially like buying American Eagle skinny jeans on eBay- $39 jeans for $15-20 is okay with me!

Not thrift stores, as neither of us has time to comb through the racks or visit regularly, and not Lands' End, as she is 15 and not 55 (sorry--I know there are fans, but not what I am looking for). Here are the places I have considered:

1. Garnet Hill--nice looks, somewhat her style, maybe a shade too old.

2. Mod Cloth--poor quality and very inconsistent sizing on the items we have ordered.

3. J. Crew--okay but not enough variety. How many years can they sell that same v-neck sweater and cardigan???

4. Gap: maybe, but would like something a little snazzier from time to time. Gap tops tend to all look alike.

5. Abercrombie: no thanks; too many naked people on the walls.

6. DownEast Basics: also not the greatest quality, but maybe worth another look?

7. Delia's--quality issues, also fit, as while she is thin and fit, she is very muscular, and jeans and tops made for juniors tend not to fit great in the shoulders and thighs.

An online presence is almost a necessity. School + gymnastics = no time for hanging around malls. I know there's something between ModCloth and Garnet Hill in price, quality and youthfulness, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

My girls love the thrift stores. They buy most of their clothes themselves. Oldest has gotten Armani pants there. Ralph Lauren sweaters. And more.

But when they go to the mall they shop at Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, and H&M. All are also on-line.

ETA: I have one who is size 4, 5'7" and the other is a size 12, 5'10". They both like the same stores.

I'm not sure I'd describe my daughter as fashionable. I mean, she's always very well put together, but she has her own style.

With that said, she does do a lot of her shopping at thrift stores. If she doesn't find what she wants there, then we usually head to Marshalls, which doesn't help you, since you can't buy online. We buy basics like t-shirts and cardigans at Target, mostly, with an occasional something from Old Navy.

For jeans, she likes Levis. (We hit the outlet when we can.) She did find a pair of Aeropostale jeans at Goodwill a few weeks ago, though, and LOVES them. So, I suspect she may agitate for more next time we have a budget for such things.

She's also had good luck at Macy's for dressier items.

I noticed ModCloth on your problem list, but she's bought things from them and loved the stuff.

I hesitate to post this one, based on the name and some of the "looks" featured, However, my daughter bought her holiday dress from this site and has been very happy with it: http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/

As you can probably tell, her tastes run toward an offbeat, vintage feel.