Menu

What Version of the Bible do you use?

trishalinn

Bible Memory  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What Version of the Bible do you have your kids memorize?

• English Standard Version
    • KIng James Version
    • New King James Version
    • New International Version
    • New International readers Version
    • New American Standard Bible
    • St. Joseph's Edition, The New American Bible

For memory work we use NIV 1984. That's because our church programs use it and it's what I've memorized so easier for me. Their bibles, though, are Contemporary English Version. I use that version myself. My husband is primarily using NKJV right now. He has several versions though.

Posted Yesterday, 10:55 PM

AWANA uses King James.

We participate in AWANA and their books are in NIV, so that is what we use at home. I grew up memorizing in KJV.

AWANAS prints their booklets using different versions. At our current AWANAS, parents were asked which version they wanted for their children. Many, or most, programs just order one version to hand out but which version they use could vary from church to church.

We use the New King James. I love the King James. Our curric uses the New King James, though, and I'm okay with it. I grew up using NIV.

Currently, the NASB because that's what out church uses. Our church does corporate Bible memorization and although its not written in stone that you must use the same translation, the group factor has a strong influence, particularly since the small house groups used to review together. For me though, I have not been able to memorize well with the NASB the way others can.

King James. It's what we use for everything in our home. I like the poetic language. And I guess I like explaining it to my kids, too. ;)

An added benefit is that my kids have an ear for that archaic language, and its easier to read old classics with them. I started reading the original Pilgrim's Progress with my ds9 (as a part of our AO reading), and I have been pleasantly surprised at how well he understands it.

Actually AWANA currently is KJV, NKJV, and NIV. They have been both KJV and NKJV for at least 22 years and added NIV in 2001 (I think -- I know my third child was about 9 since it was between her 3rd and 4th grade years) when the Pioneer/Guards and Pals/Chums became the new T&T programs.

I had heard that they were adding ESV. Is it going to replace NIV or just be a fourth version? So many churches are using NIV, I think it would be hard to replace it.

LInda

We use the KJV. But we also have a set of illustrated scriptures made by our church that we use for reading scripture stories, they make it easier for our kids to understand the stories. At their young age my goal is for them to become fimiliar with the stories and people in the scriptures, as they get older they can dive deeper.

Actually AWANA currently is KJV, NKJV, and NIV. They have been both KJV and NKJV for at least 22 years and added NIV in 2001 (I think -- I know my third child was about 9 since it was between her 3rd and 4th grade years) when the Pioneer/Guards and Pals/Chums became the new T&T programs.

I had heard that they were adding ESV. Is it going to replace NIV or just be a fourth version? So many churches are using NIV, I think it would be hard to replace it.

LInda

Oops, I do remember that they use NKJV. My understanding is that they are replacing NIV. The new NIV has too many issues (a whole nother topic!) and AWANA is not going to endorse that and probably can't get the copyright to use the old NIV.

I picked King James Version even though we haven't used it yet...but will starting in January. Before that I used NiV and other versions. I am changing because of something I read by Ruth Beechick and how the wording in King James flows better/more poetic to the ear and is more easily memorized.

We've waffled. DH and I grew up memorizing KJV, but had the kids memorizing with ESV last year, and NASB this year for family memory verses. For school, they were memorizing KJV. I think I'll stick with KJV since I read some articles by Memoria Press (I think?) on it, that said the same types of things as the post above. Plus I figure, if we're doing classical education and having children read the classics in everything else, why would we have them memorize the modern versions of the Bible? That's where we are at this point.