Menu

s/o from Discouraged, now organizing to have time for the components of your life

I think one note is simpler. I think the set up is easier, the getting started tutorial was easier to follow. It flowed better for me. In a nutshell, the learning curve was almost non-existent :hurray: . It syncs with computer and emails. I don't know if it goes with an android or ipad because I don't have one.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with Evernote.

I love the idea that I can't lose stuff with Evernote. I can't lose papers. Don't have to search for days for my address book. If my computer dies, it's all online. If I'm out and about, I can add notes on my phone to process later. I think me having Evernote will even help my son, because I've put things in there via phone as he's talking about it so he doesn't have to worry about me forgetting.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading Zen to Done, which focuses more on the habits GTD requires; it also simplifies GTD and applies it more to life goals than business.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioning this book! I bought it and read it (kindle version) a couple of days ago, when I first read your post - it's a very quick and easy read. This is now my favorite organizing/time-management book ever. Most organizing books just leave me feeling more overwhelmed than I was before I picked up the book - like the book has just dumped MORE things in my lap that need to get done. They also often leave me feeling that they're just out of reach for me - they're for someone with a very different life. But ZTD wasn't like that at all. It feels simple, streamlined, effective, real, and most importantly DO-ABLE. This is something that I can easily apply to my life.

Again: thank you! :hurray:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioning this book! I bought it and read it (kindle version) a couple of days ago, when I first read your post - it's a very quick and easy read. This is now my favorite organizing/time-management book ever. Most organizing books just leave me feeling more overwhelmed than I was before I picked up the book - like the book has just dumped MORE things in my lap that need to get done. They also often leave me feeling that they're just out of reach for me - they're for someone with a very different life. But ZTD wasn't like that at all. It feels simple, streamlined, effective, real, and most importantly DO-ABLE. This is something that I can easily apply to my life.

Oh boy! Looks like I'm adding another book to my list! It sounds written for me!

Hmmmm. I'm pretty sure I have that one on my computer somewhere. I'm going to have to reread it.

A number of years ago, Real Simple magazine had a great organizational system of keeping a house clean and organized. I save the article, and turned it into a checklist, which I then never used. I think my goal for this week is to dig that up, adjust it as needed, assign some of it to the kids, and then move forward from there. I am also getting ready this week for homeschooling next week... actually printing out all of ES's Logic Stage Biology for ds, etc. I need to have everything ready rather than be running to the computer constantly to print out this or that, which just totally interrupts the flow of homeschooling!

We've been slowly purging the house of everything we don't use. I'd like to continue that, maybe speed up the process a little. I re-read Living A Beautiful Life last week, and so much of what the author said really resonated with me - have beautiful, useful things instead of things that you just have but don't really love. I'm applying this not only to clothing, but to storage baskets, dishes, cookware, knick-knacks, etc.

I think also I will make checklists for homeschooling, espeically for ds11. I think he would enjoy checking things off as he/we get them done.

I'd love to see that Real Simple organized house cleaning list if you ever find it. :) Seriously, not joking! Maybe you could start it as a spinoff of the spinoff, haha. I've made systems in the past, but usually they were too ambitious and took too much time (2 hour chunks, blah blah) and now I have this whole set of reminders that pop up daily on my computer and ipad that I utterly ignore. I guess if I had created a 15 minute chunk system, it would have been more likely to get done, oops. NOW I see that. :lol:

In addition to GTD, I've been reading Zen to Done, which focuses more on the habits GTD requires; it also simplifies GTD and applies it more to life goals than business.

I would love to get ahold of this book- our library doesn't have it, I can't get it through ILL and it's pre-pay at B & N (which I hate doing because I always like to look at a book before I buy-kwim?). The author has gotten some crazy, irl stuff DONE!

I would love to get ahold of this book- our library doesn't have it, I can't get it through ILL and it's pre-pay at B & N (which I hate doing because I always like to look at a book before I buy-kwim?). The author has gotten some crazy, irl stuff DONE!

FYI, Zen to Done is only $2.99 for Kindle on Amazon.

FYI, Zen to Done is only $2.99 for Kindle on Amazon.

Yup, that's what I did. Price was right. My dd is downloading it for me right now, and when she gets that figured out, I'm gonna kick back my feet, relax, stop this CLEANING I'm getting done, and read about how to get things done! :thumbup:

I'd love to see that Real Simple organized house cleaning list if you ever find it. :) Seriously, not joking! Maybe you could start it as a spinoff of the spinoff, haha. I've made systems in the past, but usually they were too ambitious and took too much time (2 hour chunks, blah blah) and now I have this whole set of reminders that pop up daily on my computer and ipad that I utterly ignore.

Maybe that would be another spinoff of the spinoff, but apparently I am somehow not seeing the obvious: why do I need a list at all?

If I just clean what I notice to be dirty and leave alone what is clean, wouldn't that serve the purpose just fine? As in, run the dishwasher when it is full, do laundry when a load is collected, sweep the kitchen floor when there are crumbs - but skip vacuuming a clean living room. What am I missing?

Maybe that would be another spinoff of the spinoff, but apparently I am somehow not seeing the obvious: why do I need a list at all?

If I just clean what I notice to be dirty and leave alone what is clean, wouldn't that serve the purpose just fine? As in, run the dishwasher when it is full, do laundry when a load is collected, sweep the kitchen floor when there are crumbs - but skip vacuuming a clean living room. What am I missing?

I think its the stuff that you don't see or think about so much. Top of the frige, baseboards,windows, ceiling fans, etc. All the deep cleaning.

Our friends' son Rafe died last night. I have not kept up with reading the thread OR with my own organizing. The parents will be home in a couple of hours. (He was in a hospital in another city). I want to spend time with them tonight, just be there, and see if they need me to do anything.

He was 23 years old and had cystic fibrosis. (I mentioned it up thread). Thank you to everyone who has been/is praying for the family. I appreciate it more than I can say, and I know they also appreciate each and every person praying, even though they do not know you.

I will be back later, back to the thread, back to organizing. Blessings to all of you.

Our friends' son Rafe died last night. I have not kept up with reading the thread OR with my own organizing. The parents will be home in a couple of hours. (He was in a hospital in another city). I want to spend time with them tonight, just be there, and see if they need me to do anything.

He was 23 years old and had cystic fibrosis. (I mentioned it up thread). Thank you to everyone who has been/is praying for the family. I appreciate it more than I can say, and I know they also appreciate each and every person praying, even though they do not know you.

I will be back later, back to the thread, back to organizing. Blessings to all of you.

Oh no.

I came back on to see.

I took Rafe to Mass with us last night. We will keep them in our prayers.

Thank you for looking out for this family. We were held up by the generosity of friends when we went through this.

In tears for Rafe and his family.

:001_cool: No problem, you're like my dh. My energy and reality is a little different. Actually, my house gets mysteriously clean when I feel well. I've been driving multiple hours to speech and back every 1-2 weeks and getting headaches from it. The headaches take 1-2 weeks to get rid of. So for 2 1/2 years I basically haven't felt optimal. Not that I ever did before, but I really don't now. Actually, my only real problem now is I keep forgetting the day of the week. I can take an aspirin for a headache, but people look at you REALLY FUNNY when you say the wrong day of the week. :lol:

Just saying a lot of times there's a reason behind someone's issues. For me, I find it really helpful to be encouraged on these things. There's so much pressing that sometimes something gets pushed to the back burner that COULD come forward and get done if we broke it into little increments, had less perfectionist expectations, or just planned a little better.

And now, I'm gonna go rest my bones. I've been meaning to all day, but I got so caught up in the decluttering fervor of the thread (and my own inability to do the pick/rejects on my Christmas photos, which takes considerably more brainpower) that I ended up cleaning out cupboards in the mudroom. Now dd has a that ZtD book loaded for me, and I'm gonna go REST.

This is one of the things that reading Zen to Done made me realize about myself. I can get so caught up in making lists, perfecting the lists, finding the perfect app to manage the lists, fiddling with the app to enter all the information, so on and so on, that really it just becomes another way of procrastinating. Now, yes, I personally need a reminder note or lists for those things that are outside of the ordinary, because otherwise I'll forget them. But household chores? No, I need to spend about 10 seconds, tops, each morning looking around my house to see what most needs to be done, and then the rest of the time DOING it. I'm not listing chores any more, I'm doing chores.

(That's not to say that everyone who reads ZTD will come away with the same plan. That's what's so great about it, it's personalizable. That's a word, right? :) )

Does anyone need a copy of GTD? I know some people said their libraries didn't have it or they were way back in the hold list. I found my original copy (I knew that was going to happen!), so I have my very-good-condition used-bookstore copy to gift to someone who hasn't managed to get their hands on it yet.

Anyone? PM me if you need it.

Just confirming that this was claimed. I wish I had one to give to everyone who PMed me :( But I'm glad to be able to help out at least one person this time!

I managed to write out a syllabus for my kid's French Club for Spring yesterday. One card I get to toss!

My family seems to be over the stomach crud- I spent yesterday re-bleaching the house. Another card tossed:)

I need to read up on the brain-dumping into a notebook. I tried a control notebook years ago with Flylady and I hated it. But organizing my thoughts into cards each night seems doable. I don't know what the difference is. The cards just seem so much easier to rearrange at will. Especially when life throws you for a loop. With this last hospital stay for my 6 yo I could pull cards (since they had single actions) and give them to older children to accomplish for me while I was gone.

I started keeping a list because I wanted to see how much time it actually took to get things done. Once I divided my days up I realized that if I wanted to get everything done I needed to track it by time, not actual tasks. It's not that I'm so busy, but I find cleaning to be somewhat overwhelming if I don't know when I'm going to be done. Once I know that regardless of what I'm doing I will be stopping in two hours to start dinner or school or whatever, I can apply myself and really complete the work.

And since I'm rather optomistic when it comes to my ablities I needed to time my cleaning to determine the reality of the situation.

As an example:

On Monday I clean the bedrooms and one bathroom. If I work hard I can get all that done in two hours. Cleaning entails easy dusting, straighten bookcases, sweep and steam mop. Now, I used to try to do that AND do the linens for all three rooms at the same time. That put me over by 30 minutes to an hour! So, now I do the linens on Sunday. That frees me up to add in a special task on Mondays-like taking out on drawer and decluttering it or cleaning a fan or the windows in one room.

So at least for me, the list of things I have to do each day is not made out of a need to keep track of what I have to do, but a need to keep track of time.

That is my thoughts about housecleaning as well. I used Motivated Moms to get me started with routines but I'm able to keep up with things pretty well on my own. I do the basics fairly easily and deep cleaning generally gets down once a season all over and then little things here and there.

Where I crave more organization is more more in personal things ie I've not had a designated spot for names and addresses since I lost my address book. I need a centralized location for a calendar- what I've been using hasn't been large enough for everything I want to keep on it and sometimes things get forgotten. I also didn't have a good system for recipes- I was just using a little recipe box with everything thrown in random order. I started a budget binder last year and previously that was done just online. My other change I'm making is more in how I organize my time. I'm focusing more on starting and continuing positive habits, rather than just the elimination of negative ones.

My habits list is:

mental- read 1 book a week, take time to myself daily, walk outside when weather permits (I love family walks but we got out of habit during my very tiring pregnancy)

physical- getting strict again w/ dairy and grain free living

family- making read- aloud time a priority(this got pushed aside way too easily last year), wkly game nights, focus on traditions (when thinking about this I realized that we do have some traditions but I was just thinking in terms of all of these *super special* things everyone else does)

spiritual- starting the day w/ prayer and devotional- before taking time to myself, reading the bible through ( I used a plan 2 yrs ago for the Bible and Catechism but this is proving to be much easier as I don't have to flip back and forth as it is all on one page- very cool!)

school- Lit time daily (see above about read-alouds), library 2x a month ( we used to go every week but then it got too much w/ co-op last year but I'm decreasing co-op time- this will also help to serve my other goals:

1)literature time- as new books are always exciting

2) help me read more as well- as I really like to read non-fiction but don't have that much of a personal library

3) We visit and have lunch w/ dh while in town which works towards increasing family unity and marital harmony :)

I also have personal habit lists for marriage building and relationship building with the children.

Today, I got my calendar written in for Jan/Feb.

My brain-dump system is a 1/2 size binder (maybe 6x8) I got it from Michaels in their Recollections collection. The holes aren't standard, but my 3 hole punch can be adjusted and I figured out the spacing. They have a set of 5 tabs and patterned paper refils for it too. It's by the smash book stuff on an end cap. But I am not going to use their paper for some of my more used lists. I bought a pack of 5x8 jr. legal pads from Target and will use those for the more throw away lists. I won't feel bad burning through that. I'll probably use the pretty scrap paper ones for reference and projects, etc.

I will be alphabetizing within each tab for ease of finding what I need.

My tabs will be: next actions, reference, projects, someday/maybe and ? on the last one.

I like that I will be able to rearrange if necessary. The thought of a notebook was crippling to me since I want it to be "perfect" and if I though of something that should have gone between two pages it'd drive me batty.

So I wrote up my lists, I need now to file them into the binder. Next I need to make my reference files and I am still debating if I want/need a tickler file too.

I haven't made a whole lot of progress, but I've been keeping up with the systems I had put into place. And I'm still reading GTD. I'm hesitant to put any more systems in place until I have a good understanding of the process. My husband needs to hijack my computer for a couple of hours tonight, so that will give me time to read some more. :)

I'm still doing the brain dump. I realized that my husband probably doesn't have the names and numbers of all the different doctors our family uses (and which kid uses which doctor)- eye doctors, dentists, pediatricians- specialist, etc. That's an area of our life I run- but he needs them. I emailed the list to him because he can always access it on his smart phone.

For those of you who have read Switch- are you implementing or changing anything since reading it?

I have to go back and skim it. I moved on to GTD too quickly and I've forgotten Switch. My mind just doesn't work like it used to---and schoolwork seems to be getting in the way of my reading/reorganizing.

Anyone want to share Bright Spots?

My Bright Spots--

1. Less Clutter--We radically decluttered a small area a few months ago, and then moved on with our lives. I realized this was a bright spot. We applied it to the whole house. (Not just a little here and there, but truckloads.)

2. Colorful Wall Charts--We used one last year with such success that over the holiday break I declared it a bright spot. We now have charts for multiple subjects to keep track of where we are and where we need to be. (This also falls under Script the Critical Moves and Point to the Destination.) It's set up like a detailed planner of sorts for a child who thrives with having a plan and colors--a colorful plan. ;)

In the past, I kept a general plan of how we needed to progress, but having it where DD can see it clearly and daily has made a huge difference. I'm sure this will eventually progress to DD setting her own goals/plans in a personal planner, but this is a step in the right direction.

Earth-shattering? Not by a long shot. New? Of course not. We had decluttered and used charts before, but not in this way. Perhaps the biggest change was that we stopped doing what wasn't working in those areas. Instead, we adapted simple things that were working in other areas or that had worked in the past. That's the beauty of the book in my opinion. Sometimes we don't need fancy and new. Sometimes it's not overlooking the simple and easy just because it's, well, simple and easy.

Anyone else want to share some Bright Spots?

1. Less Clutter--We radically decluttered a small area a few months ago, and then moved on with our lives. I realized this was a bright spot. We applied it to the whole house. (Not just a little here and there, but truckloads.

I wanted to add that this is a huge bonus for productivity. Most of what we gave away/sold was in great condition, just unneeded. Realizing what we actually spend our time doing and making room/time for those activities is huge. It freed up as much mental space as it did physical.

Bright spots-

Moving so often has been a bright spot in that we just can't keep a lot of unnecessary stuff. So we don't have a garage full of junk, or closets overflowing, etc. I usually only see the negatives of moving so often but it has been good to force us to constantly reevaluate what we need.

Also living in smaller houses has been helpful to not amass so much clutter. When we moved here we had a family room AND a living room (for the first time) and simply didn't have enough furniture to fill both rooms!

Making charts for the kids has been helpful also. That's how I got them started on daily chores, now we don't need the charts. I started making charts for behavioral stuff but didn't keep up with that very well. Maybe I need to start that back up.

Having company over is a bright spot because everything gets clean, lol.

Bright spots: I radically sorted the books- I have 5 large rubbermaids of books to dispose of. We have 2 large bookshelvs of readers now sorted by topic- it is so nice to have a manageable number.

Secondly I wrote letters to my 2 oldest that focused on postives and things I appreciate about this. This was big.

Thirdly- dh and I have outline a biz plan and are working it.

DS 18 painted a huge chalkboard in his room and we are putting color on walls/papering the floor soon. We also totally simplified his last semester.

Can someone point me to any spin-off or accountability threads related to this one? I reallyreallyreally need all the help I can get :/

Thanks!

Debra

Some accountability is happening on an email list: The Organization Project. I send out an email every weekday checking in with my habits and then people reply with their status. It does help give that little extra push of motivation when you know you have a place you can brag about it. :)

And we also started a Google email/forum group to talk about setting up GTD at Home. So far it's fairly quiet, but I hope involvement will start picking up.

Bright spots-

[snip]

Having company over is a bright spot because everything gets clean, lol.

lol, that's why my house is clean right now. :) Two years ago we got more intentional about practicing hospitality, and a huge benefit was the reason to and motivation for cleaning and then actually maintaining the clean and tidy. It did work!

Then I was pregnant.

We should start that back up again....

lol, that's why my house is clean right now. :) Two years ago we got more intentional about practicing hospitality, and a huge benefit was the reason to and motivation for cleaning and then actually maintaining the clean and tidy. It did work!

Then I was pregnant.

We should start that back up again....

That's why the main areas of my house are clean...the new dryer is being delivered within the hour. Needed anyplace the delivery guys might see clean. lol

Bright spots for me. Massive amounts of things headed out the door. Will be weighing several more boxes and bags tonight before putting in the trunk and then will update my signature.

Okay best part is something that is making me feel all giddy. Okay so last summer I decided one night I was sick of my ugly livingroom, torn and stained couch etc. I hauled the couch to the curb, emptied the room, ripped the carpet out, and the mirrored tiles off the wall. The project has been very slow going due to hardly being home and when we are we are busy with school etc. But over xmas break I finally finished sanding the walls (there was extensive amounts of spackle needed to repair all the damage from those mirrored tiles, old curtain hardware etc. I had been planning for the bulk of the remaining part of the reno to be done by end of Feb. Well today I fell completely in love with a sofa and loveseat, that are on sale AND I will have the money to buy on Friday. I go Tuesday to put a small deposit to hold the sale price (sale ends thursday), and then pay them off on friday. This means I have a serious push to at the very least get teh paint on the walls even though the floors will not be refinished before they get here. tomorrow I am taping the walls and priming them(tonight I will finish T.S.P.-ing them). Monday I will start the first wall(doing Lazure on the walls). Now when I started this process I had plans to never put another sofa in there as long as I had kids, and just use a couple arm chairs and bean bag chairs, that way all the cubbies of toys and books, the desk, the tv, and any other things we generally put in there would fit. Well to fit this sofa and love seat we have to cull the toys to only what can neatly be stored in the small bedrooms and get rid of the rest. that would get teh 2 (broken anyway) small cubby units, 1 hope chest being used as a toy box and several small tables worth of toys. We will still put in my desk, and the large cubby with school books. the new sofa's and the tv (oh and the tortoises) and that is it. Everything else will have a home or be long gone. AND I feel good about letting it all go. I have a hard time letting go, but this livingroom set makes me feel happy just to look at it and I want it so bad I would get rid of anything to have it.

It will be the first brand new livingroom set I have ever owned, I have always had second hand ones, and none were particularily great to look at. This set is so beautiful and I can not wait to put it in the livingroom and have such a beautiful space. So I am working hard on finishing the livingroom reno and decluttering to bring beauty into my decor, rather than just the practical or cluttered. (this is the first time I have ever felt this way about furniture so I likely sound crazy-but when I post pics on Tuesday of the set when I put a deposit on it you will see why. lol)

Swellmomma, congratulations on your new living room!! You deserve it with all that hard work you've been putting in! :)

Someone asked about Switch. I got it, and it has been waiting for me to read it, oops. I read part of ZtD and have been trying to do the 2-3 plans for the day thing. Sometimes I wake up with energy, get started, don't get 'em done, double oops. Maybe I should have started at one? :lol:

My dh decluttered yesterday. That's vicarious and counts for me, right? :)

My dh decluttered yesterday. That's vicarious and counts for me, right? :)

You get double credit for that! It means you inspired somebody else to get rid of their junk, which, as we've seen on other threads, is a rare thing for husbands to do.

Either that, or you lucked out and married a man who doesn't like clutter.