Menu

if you use vinegar for cleaning...

When I first started using vinegar it bothered me, but like a pp's kids, the smells of regular cleaners bother me now. Vinegar just smells clean to me now. Even if I still were bothered by the smell, it really doesn't last that long- it should be gone by the time everything has dried. It was always a small inconvenience.

doesn't bother anybody here, I use it to mop my floors. The smell dissipates, unlike commercial cleaners, and yet it freshens the air, unlike other natural cleaners I have used. I like the fresh air smell it leaves behind. I had nine dogs in my house over the summer, my dog and her mate had 7 puppies. I mopped multiple times a day with vinegar and hot water and I never smelled dog. Ever. I tried another natural cleaner and it didn't work as well.

I read a Pinterest thingy that said to soak citrus peels in vinegar (maybe for a week?) but I haven't tried it. It's worth a shot.

Just FYI--I tried this, and the smell was pretty good. Unfortunately, the peels seem to leave oils in the vinegar and things don't come quite as clean, especially glass and mirrors. It left a film on everything.

how much does it take to scent a spray bottle of vinegar...is there one that seems to work better than others???

A good amount for a spray bottle full!

When I mop my kitchen floors I use 1/4 of the sink filled with water. 1 cup of vinegar. 4-5 squirts of Dawn dishsoap and about 2 TB of Lemon EO.

When I clean the bathrooms I put my mixtures in an old Oxi Clean bucket and I always just pour in the EO and stop when it's to my liking. I purchase all my EO online to get the best price. http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Essential-Oils.aspx

A good amount for a spray bottle full!

When I mop my kitchen floors I use 1/4 of the sink filled with water. 1 cup of vinegar. 4-5 squirts of Dawn dishsoap and about 2 TB of Lemon EO.

When I clean the bathrooms I put my mixtures in an old Oxi Clean bucket and I always just pour in the EO and stop when it's to my liking. I purchase all my EO online to get the best price. http://www.wholesale...ntial-Oils.aspx

thank you very much for this link....I think I might actually be able to try this now.

This is what bothers me about using vinegar, except on our hardwood floors: Some environmental groups advocate “environmentally safe†products as alternatives to commercial germicides in the home-care setting. These alternatives (e.g., ammonia, baking soda, vinegar, Borax, liquid detergent) are not registered with EPA and should not be used for disinfecting because they are ineffective against S. aureus. Borax, baking soda, and detergents also are ineffective against Salmonella Typhi and E.coli; however, undiluted vinegar and ammonia are effective against S. Typhi and E.coli 53, 332, 333.

http://www.cdc.gov/h...on_Nov_2008.pdf

This is why I use a 10% bleach solution, applied for 10 minutes before wiping it off, in the kitchen and bathroom. It has to be made up right before it is used because it loses its effectiveness relatively quickly.

This is what bothers me about using vinegar, except on our hardwood floors: Some environmental groups advocate “environmentally safe†products as alternatives to commercial germicides in the home-care setting. These alternatives (e.g., ammonia, baking soda, vinegar, Borax, liquid detergent) are not registered with EPA and should not be used for disinfecting because they are ineffective against S. aureus. Borax, baking soda, and detergents also are ineffective against Salmonella Typhi and E.coli; however, undiluted vinegar and ammonia are effective against S. Typhi and E.coli 53, 332, 333.

http://www.cdc.gov/h...on_Nov_2008.pdf

This is why I use a 10% bleach solution, applied for 10 minutes before wiping it off, in the kitchen and bathroom. It has to be made up right before it is used because it loses its effectiveness relatively quickly.

I am a bleach user as well. I just don't trust the environmental products for bathrooms

It doesn't bother me at all. Those commercial cleaners close up my throat and give me a headache. The vinegar doesn't bother me but DH hates it. I just try to use it early in the day so that the smell has dissipated by the time he gets home. It only takes a couple of hours for the smell to go away completely.

I don't use straight vinegar though. I mix vinegar, water and alcohol in a 1:1:1 ratio and then add some tea tree oil.

I just use it straight or mixed with water. Does not bother me that it doesn't disinfect, my home is not a hospital.

That said, if I ever need to really make sure that something is disinfected I keep this around: http://www.amazon.co...215W6��It's hospital grade and kills everything. But, I use it so rarely that the 1/2 gallon I have (split a gallon with a friend), lasts me a year.

your link didn't work...can you try it again??? or give me the name of the product?

I use vinegar, water, a bit of dish soap and several drops of peppermint essential oil. The spray smells nice and pepperminty and fresh!

I use this cleaner mostly in the kitchen. We don't cook with raw meat, so we don't need anything stronger.

I do use conventional cleaners in the bathroom.

The smell bothers both ds but I use it anyways. When oldest ds used Windex to clean the bathroom, we all started choking on the fumes. I've played around with adding about 20 drops of essential oil to the spray bottle with good results. I've also added some Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap or tea trea soap to help with the smell. I like the fact that I know what's in the bottle, and that I only need to carry around one thing to clean.

I make my own "all purpose cleaner" with half vinegar, half water, drop or two of dish detergent and then a capful (14 drops) of tea tree oil. The vinegar smell goes away quickly and doesn't bother me. I add the tea tree oil as my disinfectant but occasionally I like to use Lysol wipes or bleach to clean the kitchen/bathroom whenever one of us is/has been sick.

I was using it until I read it does not do a good job of disinfecting. I can't use bleach so I'm always on the look out for something that disinfects. I'm not a germ a phobe, but some things need to be disinfected.

When I used it though the only smell was the initial spraying of it. After that there was no smell.

Oh no! I thought vinegar was a good alternative to the commercial disinfectants :(

I clean with vinegar and I believe it is a good alternative to commercial disinfectants. From my anecdotal perspective we do not get sick any more then we did before switching. As for the smell, it does not bother me (but my mother cleaned with vinegar when I was growing up so perhaps I am used to it). My kids complain but basically I tell them to suck it up. The smell dissapates fairly quickly.

The smell goes away pretty quickly. My kids hate the smell...but we only use vinegar on the kitchen tile (800 sq. ft of tile in that room). The rest of my wet rooms are natural stone (granite/marble), and the vinegar will etch it...so it's not recommended. I use bleach water on the porcelain surfaces, and Windex on the mirrors.