Cindy in the NH Woods Posted November 11, 2012 Share Posted November 11, 2012 (edited) ***update*** Again, I thank everyone for telling me their stories. I so understand what you have been or are going through, and appreciate the compassion and advice shown to me here. Thank you! We took Jenny in this morning. The vet noticed some black ulcers developing in her mouth due to the uremic poisoning from her kidneys failing. We decided it would be best for the cat to put her down. I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty awful feeling, but now I am relieved and feel at peace with the decision. My sweet daughter, Jenny's favorite person, went with me and petted the kitty while we waited, and then held her in her arms while we waited for the sedative to take effect. I am so proud of her for doing that. I know it made a difference for the cat. If I'm not mistaken, I believe C.S. Lewis (Oxford don, and author of The Chronicles of Narnia and more) believed that animals went to heaven. Whether this is true or not, I know in my heart that God is good and I imagine my little kitty girl playing in the grass. Take care all! Love, Cindy I think we really need to euthanize one of our cats, but I feel like an utter heel about it. Here is the situation: Jenny, one of a pair of siblings we adopted from a shelter, is about four years old. She is in kidney failure, has some immune system issues (positive for feline aids with a quick test, negative on two Western blots), and most likely has stomatitis, a condition her brother also had, but was cured by having all of his teeth extracted. Cha ching. The vet proscribed antibiotics, which seemed to help her for awhile, but now she is hardly eating and her mouth is getting goey and pus~filled. I am sure she is in a lot of pain. She continues to drink like crazy, and pee outside the litter box. I will call the vet's office tomorrow and bring Jenny back in. We have already recently spent about $400.00 on her for her annual exam, shots, lab tests, etc. I don't want the kitty to suffer, but assuming she could tolerate the surgery, I know that having the procedures done and hospital stay will probably cost about $1800.00. Gulp. That is what it cost to care for her brother Oliver, who is now getting more huge by the day, and generally bullying the other cats. :glare: My plan is to get the cat pain relief and antibiotics, but I can't justify the surgery. My fear is that I will get her meds and she is going to die as I welcome visiting guests, host Thanksgiving, and try to prep. Maybe the vet will give her blessing about euthanizing the cat tomorrow. But so far I haven't gotten that. Help? Thank you. Edited November 13, 2012 by Cindy in the NH Woods Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.