Menu

Making bread in a cool house

Our house in VA was always cold and I had the same trouble. We did have a southern facing front door with a glass storm door and I'd open that and put the bred in a bowl on the floor - the glass door gave off so much heat.

Growing up, my mom would wrap the dough bowl in a hot towel right out of the dryer, and then wrap it in a second towel, and then place it on top of the TV while it was on.

I put my oven on warm while I make my dough. I use a Kitchenaid mixer. When it's in the pans or bowl I put it in, turn off the warmer and cover with a damp cloth. Then I leave the light on. It keeps it out of the draft that way.

Heat one cup of water in the microwave. Leave the cup of water in the microwave and let the bread rise in there. The heat will help the rise.

That's what I do. During the winter my house is 60 degrees at best. I tried a warm oven but the micro method works better in my kitchen. No drafts and a more controlled temp.

King Arthur now sells a proof box - for nearly $200!!! I'll just keep using my microwave, thankyouverymuch.

I agree with the poster who said she likes the flavor of a slower rise better!

I have also used the heating pad method in the past - I usually put a metal rack on top of the heating pad, set the bowl on the rack, and cover the whole thing with a box. Worked very well.

Anne

Heat one cup of water in the microwave. Leave the cup of water in the microwave and let the bread rise in there. The heat will help the rise.

:iagree: I do this too. My house is always cold.

My mom always puts the dough on top of the hot water heater, but hers isn't in a gross basement like mine.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I have a bread recipe that has the bread rise in the fridge, so warmth is not the only issue. If I want it done quickly in a cold house I put the dough on top of any warm electronic appliance, usually the DVD machine. My gran used to put the dough at the foot of her bed overnight!