Menu

How much time do you spend actually "teaching" your ninth grader?

I don't have a ninth grader anymore, but when I did I didn't teach him anything. Most of the materials he had been using since first grade were so rich that by the time he was 14 he had a better education than I did. When my ds was 14 I think that I simply assigned him work and corrected it. My dh worked with him on math because he was far ahead of me but dh is a computer science guy and knows a ton of math. I think he was doing Jacob's Geometry for his 9th grade year. We did discuss books he was reading, but that was probably the only genuine interaction we had over school work. Other than that I assigned and corrected. By his 10th grade year I had him do online classes for the most part, and by his 11th grade year I had him in community college. HTH.

i teach math, about 20 minutes a day. and then am available for questions. i mark the hour after the work is done and we do corrections.

i teach latin, about 30 minutes a day. and then i'm available for questions. i mark translations, work, etc, the hour after its done, and we go over corrections.

she reads language arts, and answers questions. i mark, and return it to her for corrections.

we have a great online science teacher. i proofread homework for spelling and grammar (dd is dyslexic). i answer questions she has about parts of homework.

i teach french, about 30 minutes a day. and then am available.

we use historyatourhouse for history. i proofread and take part in discussions with her after she's listened to the lesson.

i play the piano for her violin practice an hour a day most days.

we do logic together; its fun.

and i drive to dance six days a week.

it works well for us.

ann

My son is not completely independent, and that's not really our goal. He does much better when we do some thing orally, and a few of our subjects require a lot of discussion.

We are also doing a few subjects together, as in I'm as much the student as he is. Those are both of our foreign languages.

He is more independent this year than he used to be, closer to our goal. He does a lot of subject reading on his own, then we discuss. We do most of our literature together, it's more fun that way. Math he will read and we watch videos together, then he'll do the work. History, science, and art are usually done together, although he may be reading while I'm reviewing notes or planning ahead. We listen to lectures together as I'm helping him with note taking skills.

I think circumstances are different. We use an online school so rather than teaching, I'm working alongside my son. When dd14 was doing 9th grade work last school year, she did it all independently. She did a great job. Ds16, OTOH, does better when I work with him and I'm doing almost everything with him. I even try to do math but it's so over my head that I let him go at his own pace and DH is there to answer questions.

My 9th grader is doing most of his work independently:

*Saxon Algebra

*On-line 9th grade Writing/English class

*Monthly Physics class at a local college

*Weekly Marine Bio class

*Weekly Debate/Logic class

*Group History project with other homeschoolers through the Historical Society-- they are creating informational films on local historic homes.

*Weekly independent geography project

I'm also cherry picking assignments for him to do from SOTW and BF History to supplement the bi-weekly history project he's working on. I assign the work, he completes it and I go over it with him. I'm available for help with all subjects, but mostly he is managing these on his own.

For my oldest, it was at least 8-10 hours per week. With my middle who is in 9th now, it is a bit less, because she gets math and science elsewhere. That is not counting my prep time or grading time, just time spent in discussion, teaching, and questioning. Most of the time is spent on logic/rhetoric, then writing, then literature.

They do read the material themselves, too, of course, and part of the time together is spent in any questions they have. But that's only a small part of my method. They do always have areas of independent study, in things they are interested in and pursuing individually, and they do the read-it-alone-come-for-questions method on those. We've never intended for that to be the only means of their education in high school, though, or the approach for their core subjects (see my signature :D.)

It varies day to day... Ds studies math and comes to me with any questions. I stay on top of the tests. As far as the other subjects, I switched to 'class times' and the teens work towards the class. They come to me with any questions between classes.

Monday - Science experiments, lab reports

Tuesday - English: grammar and writing

Wednesday - History, maps

Thursday - Science

Friday - English: literature and writing

Dh does German with the older boys daily, but that's his problem. ;)

I consider myself more of a facilitator now that he's in 9th grade. We do Heart of Dakota (HOD) MTMM this year so he comes to me for discussion, oral narrations, etc. I am trying to keep up with what he is reading so I can have a knowledgeable discussion with him. His English is independent, but I do sometimes sit with him and explain something if it is a weaker concept for him. Algebra 1 is on DVD, Science (Biology) is through Landry Academy - which we LOVE btw, and he is doing Smarr Literature - Intro to Lit, so again, I try to either have already read the book he's reading or have some knowledge of it to discuss it. Needless to say my summers, nights and weekends are spent reading my kid's books to stay a few steps ahead of them. So long answer to say that yes I teach, but not in a lecture format like what you might get in a DVD or online format.

My son is not completely independent, and that's not really our goal. He does much better when we do some thing orally, and a few of our subjects require a lot of discussion.

He is more independent this year than he used to be, closer to our goal. He does a lot of subject reading on his own, then we discuss.

This is very similar to how we do things. Some things I teach, then he does the lesson. Some things he reads and does the lesson, then we discuss. Some things we do together. We are in an adult/young adult book club, so sometimes we're reading the same book and discussing it. I count that as part of English class.

My goal is to get him to take more responsibility for his own education. This includes knowing when to ask questions and when to just look up things on his own. His ADHD makes it difficult for him to be completely on his own, so I do have to keep a close watch on whether he's getting things done.

After years of "doing school together", I don't want to let go. It was so much fun. This year I'm really trying to find a balance between us working together and having him do some work independently. Online classes help. I leave him to handle those on his own, including knowing when to contact his teacher for help.

If his independent work is showing a lack of understanding I step in and we do it together until he is back on the independent track.

This. She occasionally has questions on math, but mostly I just keep an eye on the work and intervene if it seems she is not "getting it".

However, I still coach throughout the day..."What number are you on in math?....What are you working on right now?...Did you get such-and-such finished yet?....Don't forget to check your Bravewriter to see if teacher added anything...Are you keeping up with reading such-and-such ok?"

DD still needs SERIOUS organizational support. Every so often I try backing off a little, but it usually goes downhill fast. She's not "there" yet development-wise.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Especially with the math and sciences... ;)

For me it isn't that there is so much more teaching as it is the fact that I want to know in 4 years when he graduates that he has the foundation he needs in his education so that he can move ahead. I want to be sure he is truly "getting it" and not just saying it.

I don't really "teach" my 9th grader. We discuss a lot of what he's studying in some subjects (English and History, mostly), but there are some subjects that I either can't help him with (German) or he just "gets" and doesn't need my help (Chemistry and Math).

My dd was late to catch on with reading and math. We do a lot together. It helps me check her comprehension and she has the opportunity to ask me questions immediately. It also depends on the subject. She is taking a couple of classes through a co-op. I haven't helped her at all with her American history class but there has been a lot of hand holding with Biology.

For my two older girls, I mostly just answered questions when they didn't understand something. My role was to find suitable materials, set up a weekly assignment sheet, and check their work.

My youngest is dyslexic and needs me for most things. She is using Hippocampus online for history, so I don't have to be involved for anything other than scheduling for that. I am teaching science as a class with another student in addition to my dd. I am right next to my dd as she does everything else.