Menu

What happens to the boards once school starts for everyone?

I'm pretty new to this board, and so far I love it. There are great ideas and reviews. But once everyone has their choices down for the coming school year, what happens here? Does it die? Or do we just move on to what we're doing next year? :) Just curious....

I'm pretty new to this board, and so far I love it. There are great ideas and reviews. But once everyone has their choices down for the coming school year, what happens here? Does it die? Or do we just move on to what we're doing next year? :) Just curious....

I can't remember a time whent he WTM board has been slow:D

Well, some of us :) after having decided what to use will begin to second guess our choices and come back and complain of what we chose and ask for suggestions that would better fit our/ dc needs. :) etc... etc...

I've never seen this board slow down in the 6 years I've frequented it. :)

Yes, and if you are me you will quickly get overwhelmed trying to teach 5 dc and keep up w/ an active toddler who thinks she is a PreKer all while tending to an infant! And, when you get overwhelmed, you'll come here for refuge and to complain about how overwhelmed you are and to "hide" from everyone. :D Nope, board doesn't slow down...it just changes a bit.

it keeps going, only there are different topics depending on the time of year. For instance in September you have a lot of "What is working" and "What isn't working" posts.

In October you have "Halloween" posts.

In November there will be lots of political posts.

In December, there is a lot of food posts.

In January, there is a lot of organization posts.

In February, there is a lot of "Can I keep this up?" posts.

In March, there is a lot of "What are you doing next year?" posts.

In April, there are a lot of discussions on homeschool conventions.

In May, there is a big sigh of releif.

In the summer, there are lots of curriculum and vacation posts.

After nine years on this board, I see a pattern...

Whitney in KY

Basically, for me...I'm outta here! I just don't have the time anymore with 5 in school, a part-time job (very part time), and keeping things running smoothly. It really is a privilege and a nice break for me to be on the internet doing anything non-school related.....last week of August, I'm here maybe a dozen time during school....sigh....it's worth it though, school is great!

I'm new to the board, and this is our first year of HS.

I am guessing that 'my kind' will be on MORE as we try to figure things out once we actually start putting all the ideas in our heads into practice, lol. I foresee lots of questions in my future, but I'm so excited to get going!

And there's those of us Down Under who are NOT on summer holidays right now :)

However, on school days, while my kids are doing their work, I sit in the same room with them, at my desk, pretending to be doing very important research or whatever, while I visit here and they do their schoolwork.

Of course, they are not fooled for a minute, but I have to be able to give them some sort of excuse, since they are not allowed any recreational computer time during the schoolweek.

The board will continue, the players may change and a few posts will- you'll see "weekly reporters" linking their blogs to show what they did for the week, a few more posts about behavior. I don't think the board slows down except on the weekends. I know *I* won't be here as much, I just can't and still accomplish the goals we have.

And there's those of us Down Under who are NOT on summer holidays right now :)

However, on school days, while my kids are doing their work, I sit in the same room with them, at my desk, pretending to be doing very important research or whatever, while I visit here and they do their schoolwork.

Of course, they are not fooled for a minute, but I have to be able to give them some sort of excuse, since they are not allowed any recreational computer time during the schoolweek.

I think Peela pretty much sums up how we handle it. I keep my laptop open and on in case we need to "look something up for school".

The thought of actually watching three children labor over a penmanship sheet or a math drill makes me anxious. So, when they are working on something that I cannot/will not help them with, I am doing "important" things on the internet.

I'm planning on hanging around. With an only we have a lot of free time. At least we should continue on the same pattern during this last year of the grammar stage. I come to find adult contact and conversation. Winters are harsh in this part of the world so this place (and others like it) are my link to civilization.

Last fall I remember being on it more than usual b/c I had a ton of questions once I started schooling with all our new curriculum. I just logged in sporadically to ask questions!

it keeps going, only there are different topics depending on the time of year. For instance in September you have a lot of "What is working" and "What isn't working" posts.

Whitney in KY

You left out the traditional Santa and Easter Egg debates ;-)

We do schoolwork year-round, and I am at my desk working most days. WTM is usually open on one monitor, while Photoshop is open on the other, bigger monitor.

desk-1.jpg

My boys either do their schoolwork at the desk next to mine, or they bring me their books and papers when they are ready to check answers, discuss their reading or get instructions for the next thing.

They implode....... :leaving:

Whitney in KY

Yup! Sounds about right. Throw in the monthly "what are you reading" and the annual "this board isn't what it used to be" conversation and you have it covered!! And don't forget the semi-annual broo-ha-ha over something.

We do schoolwork year-round, and I am at my desk working most days. WTM is usually open on one monitor, while Photoshop is open on the other, bigger monitor.

desk-1.jpg

My boys either do their schoolwork at the desk next to mine, or they bring me their books and papers when they are ready to check answers, discuss their reading or get instructions for the next thing.

Crissy, you know that you make me so happy, right!?!?

The boards have remained active for years. I have been homeschooling about 11+ years now. I can't even remember when the boards started anymore, but they have always been VERY busy, year-round, for many years.

Eva