Menu

Boyscout falls 500 feet to his death on a boyscout trip

DawnM

Who knows. Maybe because the mom stated that the last couple of years have been tough with him going into Foster care, but that it doesn't compare to this.

The author also stated his name was Chris Overcash but then refers to him as "Cash" in the next paragraph! :glare:

How tragic.

How's it relevant to the incident that he was removed from his family and was in foster care?

I wonder if there's more to the story.

Who knows. Maybe because the mom stated that the last couple of years have been tough with him going into Foster care, but that it doesn't compare to this.

The author also stated his name was Chris Overcash but then refers to him as "Cash" in the next paragraph! :glare:

I assumed that was what the mother called him (a nickname,) because he is referred to as Chris in the rest of the article.

I agree. I think the foster care information was included because that's what the mother shared about him.

I think that sometimes we forget how dangerous national and state parks etc. can be - that they really are wild areas. We've had a number of hikers die lately on trails where we've hiked before.

I agree, but this is why it is so important to follow park rules. Stone Mtn trails are clearly marked. Just because they were a scout group shouldn't give them permission to go off trail. We have been up dozens of times with babies in strollers, moby wraps, as well as with preschoolers. It is safe if you stay within the trail lines. So sad.

This is very tragic, and I know the mom is in a lot of pain, but I think she's wrong to criticize the Scout leaders. Christopher wandered off 100 feet from the rest of the troop. That really isn't all that far, and we aren't told how long he was gone. For all anyone knew, he might have been taking a bathroom break or something -- though probably he should have told someone he was going. Scout leaders are volunteer positions, and they do their best, but they can't babysit every boy every minute during an outing. If Christopher had stayed with the rest of the troop, he would still be alive.

This is very tragic, and I know the mom is in a lot of pain, but I think she's wrong to criticize the Scout leaders. Christopher wandered off 100 feet from the rest of the troop. That really isn't all that far, and we aren't told how long he was gone. For all anyone knew, he might have been taking a bathroom break or something -- though probably he should have told someone he was going. Scout leaders are volunteer positions, and they do their best, but they can't babysit every boy every minute during an outing. If Christopher had stayed with the rest of the troop, he would still be alive.

I disagree. The article says they were off the unmarked path. They shouldn't have been! He wouldn't have died if they were on a marked path!

She criticized them because Christopher fell to his death 100 feet away from them. I'm just saying that three men can't keep their eyes on every boy at every moment.

She didn't mention (in the article) about the unmarked trail.

She didn't mention it, but the article did. When the boy scouts finish their investigation of this incident, I suspect that the fact that they were off of the marked trail will be a key point. The boy scout leaders increased the odds of something terrible happening by going off of the trail. I'm sure they are distraught at what happened but were some bad decisions there that contributed to the accident, imo.

I disagree. They broke three very important rules of scouting.

• Never hike off marked trails.
  • The group goes only as fast as the slowest member.
  • There is always supposed to be a leader bringing up the rear to make sure that no scouts get left behind.

This is why I made my husband go on outings when I did not feel confident in the leadership.

Tragic.

I loved our first scoutmater's approach. He had strict safety rules - 1. hiking boots req'd..and he'd check to make sure they still had sufficient tread 2. meds had to be taken if the child was impulsive and supposed to be taking meds (unbeleivable number of parents will take their child off the meds for the weekend and send them on hiking/backpacking trips where the plunge is 1000 ft) 3. scouts that were mature enough only.

Just wanted to mention that hiking boots aren't always the best way to go. My son just did a 60 mile backpack trip through Yosemite that they trained a year for and none of them used hiking boots. It can be better to use more flexible foot wear that is lighter weight and can help you adjust to different terrain.

So sad! Like everyone said, don't go off trail and always have people bringing up the rear. My scouts hike so much and I am always worried.

I disagree. They broke three very important rules of scouting.

• Never hike off marked trails.
  • The group goes only as fast as the slowest member.
  • There is always supposed to be a leader bringing up the rear to make sure that no scouts get left behind.

This is why I made my husband go on outings when I did not feel confident in the leadership.

:iagree: