Menu

Quick! Best coffee pot that is not a single-cup serve

I used to have a Capresso and I loved it! It was a wedding present. Then, I broke it and b/c they are expensive we didn't buy another one. We had a Krups for a while and that was ok. Now, I have a Cuisinart 14 cup and it's great. I like the temp control, bold setting, and a setting for brewing 1-4 cups.

This is the one that I have...

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-2600-Central-Programmable-Coffeemaker/dp/B001NGO27W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348315202&sr=8-1&keywords=cuisinart+14+cup+coffee+maker

Lots of good reviews!

I love our vintage percolator. If you're looking for drip, the best one I ever had was a Capresso. After that one died (several years, no cleaning, mineral deposits eventually blocked the tubing), we went through a Braun, a Krups, and a Cuisinart and they were all horrid, particularly the Cuisinart, which overflowed grounds into the tank and had to be (awkwardly) cleaned out on a daily basis.

Whatever is cheap at Walmart. Seriously. We have bought many expensive good name makers and they broke within a year. The best and longest lasting coffee makers we have had have been the standard cheapo ones from Walmart.

This is what my dh is saying. Ours is a Black & Decker Spacemaker that we've had since we got married (almost 18 years). Dh is saying, "Just stop by Walmart and get whatever is comparable to the one we have." He may have a point there.

P.S. He said, "You're posing the question on a homeschooling forum at 8:00 on a Saturday? Who is going to be around to answer?" I said, "You have no idea."

I have a Cuisinart from C ostco for $50.00 and I love it. I think it is about $100.00 elsewhere.

What I like about it is the burner/warmer can be set to a lower temp so your coffee doesn't sit and burn while waiting for you to drink it.

We stayed at a cabin last fall and the Mr. Coffee warmer was so hot the coffee was undrinkable after an hour or so. With mine it can go 4 hours and it's still fine. And yes, I am a coffee snob. I spend a lot of money on good coffee, so I don't want to waste it.

We just replaced our 5-year-old Mr. Coffee machine (4 cups) with a new, nearly identical one, and we're very happy with it. The machine itself was working just fine; we just needed to replace it because we have extremely hard well water, and it was so clogged up with scale that it was talking half an hour to brew a tiny amount of coffee. (We're trying to keep the new one working longer by running lemon juice or vinegar through it once a month, but seriously, for the price, 5 years is more than reasonable.)

We have an ancient Braun 10-cup. The switch is getting fiddly so we're going to have to replace it soon.

We did try the Cuisinart from Costco when we prematurely tried to replace the Braun. (We didn't want to risk a coffee crisis if one morning it just didn't work.) We hated it. It didn't get the water near hot enough for a decent cup. When we returned it, the clerk said they were getting a lot of them back for that reason. I've since heard that the one with the good reviews on Amazon is a different model. We really wanted that type of carafe, but... I don't know what we'll do when the Braun goes!

Yeah right now we have a Mr. Coffee. We have had that thing for 6 years. The other expensive ones died within a year. And you figure, even if it only lasted 2 years you are out $20-$30 (or less) verses $100 or more.

We have had terrific luck with Mr. Coffee. The extended family thinks I'm some sort of Coffee Genius!

I do not need a timer, clock, or other features. For me, it had to be white and not huge like my mom's (I do not want much counter space devoted to a coffee pot). I also find this carafe does not spill like hers when pouring.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RY48KE/ref=wms_ohs_product

We bought it in May, and we like it. I think they have it in black as well.

12768033.jpg

Edited by nestof3

I have a (cheap, simple, low-level) Krups that I've been using since we were married >15 yrs ago. I also have a Mr. Coffee. The big difference is the shape of the filter - Krups is cone, Mr. Coffee is flat-bottomed. I prefer the taste of the coffee from the cone filter but I have no idea why.

I have been going through this for months! I even decided to give up coffee for a while because i couldn't decide. I have read every single review on amazon. Every single coffee maker has complaints. Every single one seems annoying and cheap and crappy. I have really liked the looks of this one, but of course it has some negative reviews also. I have to say this one has the fewest negative reviews, or at least the negative reviews on this one are ones I could live with. But the price, ouch!

http://www.amazon.com/KM9008-Request-Programmable-removable-Stainless/dp/B004WGQ8EU/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1348322968&sr=1-1&keywords=krups+on-request

My problem is we want a thermal carafe (because dh makes it earlier than I get up). I also hate that Cuisinart ends up dumping the coffee everywhere. We've had that with every single Cuisinart we've ever owned :(

Edited by tammyw

Kitchen Aid (I did have a problem with the first KA we purchased, but they offered to replace it w/no hassle, and overnighted a new maker to me plus a label to ship back the defective one). This one has been going strong for 6 years. I now only use it when lots of people are over, though, since we've had our Keurig for the past several months.

I have been going through this for months! I even decided to give up coffee for a while because i couldn't decide. I have read every single review on amazon. Every single coffee maker has complaints. Every single one seems annoying and cheap and crappy. I have really liked the looks of this one, but of course it has some negative reviews also. I have to say this one has the fewest negative reviews, or at least the negative reviews on this one are ones I could live with. But the price, ouch!

http://www.amazon.com/KM9008-Request-Programmable-removable-Stainless/dp/B004WGQ8EU/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1348322968&sr=1-1&keywords=krups+on-request

My problem is we want a thermal carafe (because dh makes it earlier than I get up). I also hate that Cuisinart ends up dumping the coffee everywhere. We've had that with every single Cuisinart we've ever owned :(

I have no idea how good they are but I noticed walmart had a BH coffee maker with a thermal carafe. I thought about that one when we replaced ours but one of the kiddos also needed new shoes. $$ So we went with a cheap Mr. Coffee. It works fine.

:iagree: Dh and I had an electric perculator that just gave out after 18 years. We purchased it just after we were married. It's been replaced with a stove-top perculator that's working well for us. :D

Do share the details. I've had to replace our coffee pot 3 times in the last year because someone (oldest ds) broke the carafe or it stopped working. We are *not* fans of instant coffee at all.

We love our Capresso. I see them sometimes at Tuesday Morning and I think I saw one at TJ Maxx the oter day (didn't really look since we have one already). If you buy a higher end coffee pot, check out reviews online before you buy it. Sometimes, higer end...doesn't mean quality.

It looks by the responses it's a crap-shoot. Our Mr. Coffee's all lasted less than a year. I finally broke down and bought a Cuisinart and it's going on 7 years! It's the stainless steel, retro look that first came out. So we've never had problems with it at all!

I'm looking into a Kerig for my next one.

We have the Cuisinart Grind and Brew with the thermal pot. We got it at a yard sale for $5. I took it home and it seemed to be junk...first pot leaked all over the counter. I cleaned up and looked for what was wrong.

How was it broken? They had never washed it. Old grinds and sludge were blocking the lid openings where the coffee was supposed to drip into the pot and there was just build up in general. I washed it, ran a pot of vinegar, a pot of water and the thing has worked beautifully for 6+ years. I think I am getting my $5 worth. I like the grinder and that it does not need a paper filter. I rinse it out between uses and it is fine.

Edited by kijipt

Thank you! I've often wondered if you get grounds in your cup with one of these.

Thank you, everyone. I cannot wait to tell dh that I got 32 responses to the question he couldn't imagine a homeschooling community would answer on a Saturday! :D And I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm going to see what is available nearby today and go from there.

:iagree: Dh and I had an electric perculator that just gave out after 18 years. We purchased it just after we were married. It's been replaced with a stove-top perculator that's working well for us. :D

<wistful sigh> I would love to have a stove top model. We have an electric, ceramic cooktop. :glare: We're using the Corningware one I bought at a junk store to leave at my dad's a few years ago (off the grid, gas stove) this week, and it's awesome. We've had electric models from the 30s and 40s and they're wonderful, though. While we're up here in Maine, we'll be looking for another. They have the best junque stores around here!

Thank you, everyone. I cannot wait to tell dh that I got 32 responses to the question he couldn't imagine a homeschooling community would answer on a Saturday! :D And I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm going to see what is available nearby today and go from there.

You should mention that there wasn't even a brawl.

Is a French press not large enough? Mine can make two or three cups at a time...not a single-serve coffee maker, but maybe too small a capacity for what you are looking for. However, you cannot go wrong with super low-tech. Also, for any fans of motor-oil consistency coffee, a French press is great for getting a strong brew! :D

You should mention that there wasn't even a brawl.

:D

I went with a Black & Decker, on the assumption that since I'm replacing a B&D that lasted for nearly two decades, it will probably be adequate.

Is a French press not large enough? Mine can make two or three cups at a time...not a single-serve coffee maker, but maybe too small a capacity for what you are looking for. However, you cannot go wrong with super low-tech. Also, for any fans of motor-oil consistency coffee, a French press is great for getting a strong brew! :D

I love my french press. The coffee is much smoother than the drip because there is no paper filter to take away the oils that protect your tummy. The 8 cup french press makes 2-3 normal people sized cups of coffee.

Well....it is because it's coffee!:D:D

Whatever is cheap at Walmart. Seriously. We have bought many expensive good name makers and they broke within a year. The best and longest lasting coffee makers we have had have been the standard cheapo ones from Walmart.

This. I think it was $13 and I got it just to hold me over. I had a percolator I liked and it broke. Replaced it and the new one broke too (at about the one year mark) and finally just got the cheapo plasticky drip maker at Walmart and ... years later, still running strong.

Even if you want something fancy and fun, it might not be a bad idea to ge the cheapo one and use it now while you decide what expensive fancy machien you want and then when you get the fancy machine, put the cheapo in the closet or garage for when the fancy one breaks -- and it probably will...