Menu

K-cups rumor

Wall Street Journal says it's true. But it also says that Kcups and Keurigs may be obsolete in a few years, anyway (evidently, there's some fancy new design that's gaining ground).

Keurig just came out with a new machine that takes different cups. There are enough people that own the "old" style that surely someone will make K-cups for awhile.

Let's hope that people wake up to the fact that petroleum-based one-use disposable kcups are environmentally reckless and should be obsolete as a matter of earth-consciousness.

No blood for kcups! :D

Bill

How about we compromise and use the refillable eco cup?:001_smile:

Let's hope that people wake up to the fact that petroleum-based one-use disposable kcups are environmentally reckless and should be obsolete as a matter of earth-consciousness.

Bill

:iagree:

Normally I have yuppie tendencies but in this one case I have hippie tendencies.

Well, here's hoping the blight at least gets a little cheaper soon!!

I'm not with you on this one.

People (rightly) complain about our addiction to foreign oil and the geo-political consequences that flow from that addiction but then ignore the actions we take as consumers that add to the demand for petrochemicals, a demand that drives up fuel prices in addition to creating mountains of trash.

In the case of Kcups they make lousy (stale) coffee in the name of convenience when there are superior methods that don't involve producing shocking amounts of plastic waste with every cup.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

People (rightly) complain about our addiction to foreign oil and the geo-political consequences that flow from that addiction but then ignore the actions we take as consumers that add to the demand for petrochemicals, a demand that drives up fuel prices in addition to creating mountains of trash.

In the case of Kcups they make lousy (stale) coffee in the name of convenience when there are superior methods that don't involve producing shocking amounts of plastic waste with every cup.

Bill

You know, Bill, I almost look forward to you piping up every time there is a KCup thread :D.

Yeah, I picked up on that in the last K-cup thread. You're not very subtle.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, not subtle, but at least he's consistent! :D

:iagree: And disposable plastic water bottles.

You know, Bill, I almost look forward to you piping up every time there is a KCup thread :D.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:iagree::iagree: I was thinking the same thing when I saw the thread title. I personally don't use them because I want my caffeine fix cheap, but I really had to pop in and see if Bill was here.

I'm with Bill on this one - the plastic waste makes me crazy. I've used a Kcup once at my friend's house.

My problem is trying to find a good coffee maker. We've gone through a couple - the last one lasted two years shockingly. Why is it so hard to find a decent coffee maker? Any suggestions Bill?!

Edited by tammyw

I'm with Bill on this one - the plastic waste makes me crazy.

My problem is trying to find a good coffee maker. We've gone through a couple - the last one last two years shockingly. Why is it so hard to find a decent coffee maker? Any suggestions Bill?!

I have a Jura Capresso. It's probably the most expensive thing in my house :lol:

And then I degrade said coffee with Coffee Mate. The liquid not the gross powder

I'm with Bill on this one - the plastic waste makes me crazy. I've used a Kcup once at my friend's house.

My problem is trying to find a good coffee maker. We've gone through a couple - the last one lasted two years shockingly. Why is it so hard to find a decent coffee maker? Any suggestions Bill?!

Not Bill, but have you ever used a cafetera?? You can't make a real Cuban coffee without one.

I have a Jura Capresso. It's probably the most expensive thing in my house :lol:

And then I degrade said coffee with Coffee Mate. The liquid not the gross powder

Same here, on both accounts. Although when my DH makes my coffee, he always uses real cream and sugar. The Coffee Mate is for my lazy ways.

Oh, we do have a Keurig, too, but that is a small one for our camper. Well worth it. I think it makes surprisingly good coffee -- the coffee is a heckuva lot better than what we were previously drinking in the camper. Now, if I had a portable Capresso, I might be willing to give it up the Keurig.

ETA: Have you tried the newish Coffee Mate creamers made with real cream? I try to mostly buy those, but I know with fall coming up, I'll have to slide back to the fake Pumpkin Spice one. The natural ones only come in Sweet Cream, Vanilla and Caramel. All good, by the way.

Edited by Serenade

I'm with Bill on this one - the plastic waste makes me crazy.

My problem is trying to find a good coffee maker. We've gone through a couple - the last one last two years shockingly. Why is it so hard to find a decent coffee maker? Any suggestions Bill?!

Depends on the quality of coffee you prefer. We particularly enjoy the taste of French Press coffee, and find it a very convenient method as well.

I have never used an aero-press, but they have received good reviews on this forum (and elsewhere) from people who need only make a small amount at a time.

Filtered coffee is preferred by those who dislike any sediment in the coffee (French Press coffee ca be a little "chewy") and there are "gold" filters that are reusable for both manual and machine set-ups. Chemex makes nice coffee, but there is paper filter waste.

Not the most convenient method but for those who like super-clean coffee, a vacuum method pot makes very elegant coffee. One just needs to be careful with fragile parts.

Another super-clean method is to make a cold-concentrate (cold water method) that is refrigerated and reconstituted with hot water or used in cold drinks and blended drinks. Great option for those with acid problems.

On the other side of the spectrum using an ibrik to make Turkish Coffee gives one a strong and "dirty" cup of coffee that is loaded with caffeine.

And there are various espresso options.

So it sort of depends what "style" of coffee you enjoy most. When you know that you pick a method that matches your taste.

Bill

Bill

:001_wub:

I like my French press (as I'm sure Bill will suggest), but I like my 1940s vintage percolator a bit better. It cost $12 at the junque store (that's the junky shop that has awesome vintage and antique goodies without the snooty prices), makes awesome coffee, and doesn't even have filters.

I like my 1940s vintage percolator a bit better. It cost $12 at the junque store (that's the junky shop that has awesome vintage and antique goodies without the snooty prices), makes awesome coffee, and doesn't even have filters.

ooooh. I love those old percolators. They make great coffee. :)

Bill

I agree with you Bill, unfortunately I broke down and got one for dh as a present a couple of months ago after he had been lusting after one for so so long. I tried to explain the environmental hazards as well as the fact that piping hot water will be going through all the chemicals in the plastic and right into his cup. I also bought him a fancy automatic regular coffee maker and and nice french press with a new coffee grinder over the years to try and get him to let go of the KCup love. But it was all to no avail.

He's refuses to use the refillable cup so I buy the San Fran Bay brand for him that at least uses less plastic.

Interesting about the patent. I agree that it just means more waste since more people will be willing to fork over the bucks for kcups.

:confused: I'm not following what you mean with the bolded. Can you explain please, Bill?

Well, they make a somewhat "bitter" brew because the coffee is boiled and passed though the grounds multiple times (not unlike a percolator) and unlike an espresso machine that forces steam/water through the grounds once and makes a more delicate extraction that the stovetop Cafeteras.

I don't mind this more bitter brew, but I have a higher threshold for bitter than most. And, it seems to me, that most people using Cafeteras add a good deal of milk and sugar to mask the inherent bitterness of the coffee, rather than drinking it straight. I know Cubans like the bitter coffee, milk, and sugar combo, and who am I to argue? :D

When I had mine I either drank it straight or with milk (as I'm not a sugar guy) and I liked it fine. But I not think the results were as fine as a good espresso as the technology is inferior.

Bill

Well, they make a somewhat "bitter" brew because the coffee is boiled and passed though the grounds multiple times (not unlike a percolator) and unlike an espresso machine that forces steam/water through the grounds once and makes a more delicate extraction that the stovetop Cafeteras.

I don't mind this more bitter brew, but I have a higher threshold for bitter than most. And, it seems to me, that most people using Cafeteras add a good deal of milk and sugar to mask the inherent bitterness of the coffee, rather than drinking it straight. I know Cubans like the bitter coffee, milk, and sugar combo, and who am I to argue? :D

When I had mine I either drank it straight or with milk (as I'm not a sugar guy) and I liked it fine. But I not think the results were as fine as a good espresso as the technology is inferior.

Bill

Ah gotcha. Everyone is certainly entitled to their preferences. :). It is the coffee itself however that has the bitterness. Cafe Bustelo for example is a lot more bitter than Cafe Pilon for example, but you can use any coffee in a cafetera. I have a grinder and use regular old coffee beans. I just grind it a couple of times so that the coffee is fine, then I put it in the cafetera and it makes yummy coffee. Btw, it only boils the water and forces it through the coffee one time and it doesn't boil the coffee once it comes up. You take it off the burner before then so the coffee doesn't boil.

Ah gotcha. Everyone is certainly entitled to their preferences. :). It is the coffee itself however that has the bitterness. Cafe Bustelo for example is a lot more bitter than Cafe Pilon for example, but you can use any coffee in a cafetera. I have a grinder and use regular old coffee beans. I just grind it a couple of times so that the coffee is fine, then I put it in the cafetera and it makes yummy coffee. Btw, it only boils the water and forces it through the coffee one time and it doesn't boil the coffee once it comes up. You take it off the burner before then so the coffee doesn't boil.

You have refreshed my memory (:D) on the boiling issue. Thank you and sorry. It has been a long time since I've owned one. Still I think is is fair to say this method makes a cup that is strong and bitter relative to other methods. I happen to like my coffee strong and bitter, but I think that is a minority opinion.

If you offered me a cup of cafetera brewed coffee right now I'd happily imbibe :001_smile:

Bill

I like my French press (as I'm sure Bill will suggest), but I like my 1940s vintage percolator a bit better. It cost $12 at the junque store (that's the junky shop that has awesome vintage and antique goodies without the snooty prices), makes awesome coffee, and doesn't even have filters.

Although I like the taste of coffee in a French press, I don't like grounds in my coffee. Percolators don't really make good coffee because they boil the coffee repeatedly and keep sending it back through the grounds. For me, that leaves a drip coffee maker. Dh and I are big coffee drinkers and go through a pot a day, more on weekends. I can't imagine a Keurig or something similar working for us, since we would definitely want more than one cup ready and waiting.

To each his own though. I personally think you should drink coffee made the way you like it and in your preferred appliance.

ooooh. I love those old percolators. They make great coffee. :)

Yeah, they really do. Sadly, the new ones don't seem to. We got a new one that makes coffee in 12 minutes and goes to "keep warm". For the first 8 minutes, it made a scary noise that was like a grzzly bear and a chicken trying to dig/peck through the counter, then it settled in to brewing for almost 4 minutes... The coffee was horrible. Insipid. Acidic (impressive for dark roast). :ack2: It had to go back.

I really loved my 1930s one, until my husband blew it up. Sigh.

K-cup, disposable diapers. What are we DOING to this planet.

Neither dh nor I really drink regular coffee (I drink Cafe Bustelo and have a stovetop Cafetera for that purpose-I agree that it is a Cuban thing, my Cuban friend in Germany got me hooked on the process, military lives are so complicated), so I buy a variety pack of k-cups when we have visitors. Seems better than half a bag of coffee going to waste. *shrug*

I did use cloth diapers, but I don't see Bill jumping all over someone every time they mention diapers. Did you use cloth, Bill?

I don't mind this more bitter brew, but I have a higher threshold for bitter than most. And, it seems to me, that most people using Cafeteras add a good deal of milk and sugar to mask the inherent bitterness of the coffee, rather than drinking it straight. I know Cubans like the bitter coffee, milk, and sugar combo, and who am I to argue? :DBill

Have you tried adding a very small dash of salt on top of your grounds before brewing? I thought my DH was nuts when he first did this, but it takes away the acidity and bitterness, even from cheap, pre-ground coffee, and leaves a smoother brew.

We recently rented a cabin in the north of MN for a week, which boasted a Keurig, so we got to try it out and see what all the fuss is about. I was astonished at the amount of cups we went through each morning, and how much they piled up in our trash. Also, I sincerely missed my daily coffee making ritual, and my goal of making the perfect cup based on my need for caffeine that day. The Keurig made our coffee drinking experience incredibly boring and unsatisfying! For a while I wondered if it would be a good addition in our kitchen, but not anymore! :tongue_smilie:

I did use cloth diapers, but I don't see Bill jumping all over someone every time they mention diapers. Did you use cloth, Bill?

:iagree: And how do you feel about bottled water and Starbuck lids? I would never use K-cups because we are big coffee consumers here and we try to be somewhat green. I'm on the same page on unnecessary waste. I just don't think you're going to convert anyone on this thread. I can see it's place for people who doesn't go through coffee like we do. Unless you're living off the grid and 100% self sufficient, you're a consumer and it seems a bit silly to make out one kind of plastic waste as worse than any other.

We have a french press (actually 2 - we have a stainless one for travel!), a drip machine, and an espresso machine. We spend way too much money of fresh roast, fresh ground coffee! :001_wub: I noticed since we started school this week, my coffee consumption has grown exponentially.

Bill

Or that it is sacrilegious to treat coffee so poorly.

People you need good coffee, a French press, a coffee grinder, and an electric tea kettle. You guys are nuts. Who wants to drink hot brown water:tongue_smilie:

Or that it is sacrilegious to treat coffee so poorly.

People you need good coffee, a French press, a coffee grinder, and an electric tea kettle. You guys are nuts. Who wants to drink hot brown water:tongue_smilie:

You said it!

It isn't just that the Kcups create a shocking amount of plastic waste, but the coffee is lousy as well. Of all the coffee making methods available the pre-ground (read stale) kcups make the poorest quality coffee save perhaps instant.

Yuck! Just yuck! :D

Bill

You have refreshed my memory (:D) on the boiling issue. Thank you and sorry. It has been a long time since I've owned one.

Pshaw! No apology is necessary.:)

Still I think is is fair to say this method makes a cup that is strong and bitter relative to other methods. I happen to like my coffee strong and bitter, but I think that is a minority opinion.
The coffee you choose really makes the difference with the bitterness, but there's no doubt that the cafetera makes it strong. :)

If you offered me a cup of cafetera brewed coffee right now I'd happily imbibe :001_smile:

Bill

hehehe Sure! I'd gladly make you a cafe con leche or a cafe cubano if you prefer. :)

I really loved my 1930s one, until my husband blew it up. Sigh.

Bummer! :(

I knew my great grandfather. He lived until I was about 6. I have a memory of him boiling coffee grounds with water on the stove and then straining it in to a cup :lol:

Oh, I make it like that sometimes too. I strain it through a cloth. I make it like that if I want to add cinnamon or another spice flavor. I boil it in half milk half water with the coffee grounds and whatever else I want in there including the sugar and then pass the whole thing through a cloth into the cup and it's yum! :)