Menu

Any hot tea drinkers?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, let me rephrase that, tap water that is then microwaved :)

And since this thread is drawing out the more particular among us, I will add that I like to make sure the tap water is cold and has run awhile before it goes into the kettle.

Nice use of the smiley, Laura :D

Oops, let me rephrase that, tap water that is then microwaved :)

And since this thread is drawing out the more particular among us, I will add that I like to make sure the tap water is cold and has run awhile before it goes into the kettle.

Nice use of the smiley, Laura :D

:iagree:

I was recently commenting to DH that I'd like to try a "proper" cup of tea, to see if I'd like it. We drink gallons of southern sweet tea (iced, of course) and I wonder what a cup of hot tea with sugar and milk/cream would be like.

I'm surprised that so many folks are saying that tea bags are just fine. I thought I'd need to go buy some loose tea. I do have a mesh ball on a chain (is this what folks are calling a diffuser?). We also have a stove-top kettle which we use to boil water for making our iced tea. I guess I just need to start experimenting!

I was recently commenting to DH that I'd like to try a "proper" cup of tea, to see if I'd like it. We drink gallons of southern sweet tea (iced, of course) and I wonder what a cup of hot tea with sugar and milk/cream would be like.

I'm surprised that so many folks are saying that tea bags are just fine. I thought I'd need to go buy some loose tea. I do have a mesh ball on a chain (is this what folks are calling a diffuser?). We also have a stove-top kettle which we use to boil water for making our iced tea. I guess I just need to start experimenting!

Cold tea makes me gag. I don't know how people drink it. I can put away some hot tea though.

If you're going to try hot tea, I'd say try a loose tea. I think bags are made with what's left at the bottom of a loose tea barrel. They just don't have as full of a flavor, IMO. And yes, the mesh ball is called a diffuser.

I'm a tea snob. I get loose tea from a tea shop. My favorites are green tea with mint, Scottish Breakfast (black tea), Earl Grey, and Vanilla chai. I love my hot tea sweet (a squeeze of honey and a couple drops of stevia) and my cold tea unsweetened. I have a whistling stove-top kettle and I use a bottom-straining tea infuser. For loose black tea, I use boiling water and infuse it for about 4 minutes (5 for chai with milk.) For loose green tea, I use almost boiling water and infuse for about 3 minutes. My tea shop lists brewing directions on the different varieties. If you use bagged tea, you probably want a shorter brewing time because the tea is often powdered and can get bitter much quicker (hence my desire to use loose tea:).) Black tea give me a stronger caffeine kick. I often have a cup of green tea with breakfast and have a black tea variety mid-morning or mid-afternoon.

I've never been a big fan of herbal teas, so I can't give advice there.

If I use bag tea I buy Twinings. We drink Irish Breakfast, Earl Grey and Dajeeling. I also really like 4 Red Fruits.

I used to use the ball strainer for loose tea, but I thought it was messy. I recently found this: http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea-makers-infusers/p/teavana-perfect-teamaker

I really love it!

I have gotten loose tea from here: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

I prefer black teas myself. I recently got a yummy black tea infused with dried apricots. It gave it a lovely smell.

I add cream/ sugar to plain black tea, but just honey to the fruit based ones.

I'm getting ready to give up diet soda, and I don't like coffee. I like iced tea, but I have never tried hot tea. I need something in the mornings with some caffeine to get my mind working before I teach the kids. I was thinking hot tea just might be the answer. If you drink it, what kind do you drink? Do you put anything in it? Do you use a kettle or how do you make it?

Before my Mo'conversion, Ahmad Vanilla Black. Hot and iced. Man do I miss it!

Really? You've never had hot tea?! I am only believing this is possible because I got to age twenty without ever having tried ketchup. But still, I'd seen it served and knew how. Wow. Where did you grow up?

You can make tea the British way or the American way. The American way is to put a tea bag in a mug with some water and microwave it for a couple of minutes, then add sugar and maybe milk or lemon juice, depending on your personal preferences.

The British way requires a tea pot, a tea kettle, and containers of cream or milk and sugar. You boil water in the kettle on the stove, then pour it onto tea bags you have placed in the pot. You let it steep in the pot on the table for a little bit, then serve it from the pot into individual cups. Each individual adds sugar and cream or milk into their own cup. I usually just make tea for myself but I do it the British way because I like having multiple cups ready to go.

Then I guess there's the hybrid way - boil water in a kettle on a stove, but pour it over a teabag that's placed in the cup. After a few minutes, remove the tea bag and add your sugar, honey, lemon and/or milk.

Teas taste radically differently. Your main choices in any American grocery store should be black, earl grey, English breakfast, oolong and Irish breakfast. I really can't guess which one you'd like more. My favorite is earl grey; I tend to like nuttier, more savory teas. My guy can't start a morning without Irish breakfast; he likes super sweet teas. He always adds milk. I never do. Oh, and he can not stand iced tea, hates it, whereas I adore it.

I grew up in Oklahoma and no, I have never had hot tea. I can't even think of anyone I know that drinks it. That's why I came here for advice! Anyone I know that drinks hot drinks, drinks coffee and I just don't like the taste of it at all. I LOVE hot chocolate and I do a cappuccino every once in a while when it's cold and I'm out and about.

I'm going to buy some tea tonight and an electric kettle. I figure if I don't like hot tea I can us the kettle for hot chocolate! I also found out there are two tea rooms in the town I live in! I may just have to try to visit one this weekend! I really want to try loose tea, but I probably shouldn't invest in all the stuff for that until I know if I like the taste of hot tea at all!

Thanks for all the help and advice. I will report back later after I have tried it!

I am from Oklahoma as well.

The "American way" certainly is not sticking a tea cup in the microwave. They do that in both countries.

I drink loose leaf tea that has been steeped in a tea infuser or a tea pot, depending on the amount being drunk, from water I boiled in a kettle.

You can find inexpensive tea infusers from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Adagio-Teas-16-Ounce-Ingenuitea-Teapot/dp/B000FPN8TK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1346447127&sr=8-8&keywords=tea+makers

You can get an inexpensive tea ball at the grocery store if you don't want to spend very much to try loose leaf teas. At tea shops they will usually sell by the ounce.

Edited by Sis

I drink hot tea!:001_smile: I have a variety;

Good Earth Original

Mint

Chamomile

Earl Grey

Nutcracker

Honey Vanilla Chai

etc.

I like honey in my tea and I use cream in Earl Grey, Nutcracker, and Honey Vanilla Chai.

For the water I use a tea kettle on the stove.

If I'm going to bother with loose black tea, I just toss it in the teapot. I think the leaves need space, so I embrace the mess. Then, I pour the tea through a fine mesh strainer into the cups (or into a second, heated pot if it's too much for the cups at hand.). I can produce a sinkfull of dishes from a single pot of tea. We won't get I to my chopstick that marks how high the water must be for x number of cups.

I grew up in Oklahoma and no, I have never had hot tea. I can't even think of anyone I know that drinks it. That's why I came here for advice! Anyone I know that drinks hot drinks, drinks coffee and I just don't like the taste of it at all. I LOVE hot chocolate and I do a cappuccino every once in a while when it's cold and I'm out and about.

I'm going to buy some tea tonight and an electric kettle. I figure if I don't like hot tea I can us the kettle for hot chocolate! I also found out there are two tea rooms in the town I live in! I may just have to try to visit one this weekend! I really want to try loose tea, but I probably shouldn't invest in all the stuff for that until I know if I like the taste of hot tea at all!

Thanks for all the help and advice. I will report back later after I have tried it!

You are worse off than I thought. Do we need a second thread to explain why you shouldn't need ANY water for hot chocolate?

For the sake of tea, coffee (french press) and cocoa, we installed an instant hot water faucet :)

I drink Earl Grey, Chamomile, and sometimes I'll try blends if they sound interesting.

I use loose leaf frequently, but I'm not averse to a high quality bagged tea.

I really, really want to like hot tea. Really, I do. I have a stove-top kettle that I use to heat the water. I pour it over an individual tea bag in my mug. But it just ends up tasting like hot water. So then I add more sugar until I have really sweet hot water. Bleck! I have let it steep for a long time (at least 3- 5 minutes; maybe longer) but it still has no flavor. I've even tried several different varieties of tea. They usually smell wonderfully, but have zero flavor. What am I doing wrong?

I really, really want to like hot tea. Really, I do. I have a stove-top kettle that I use to heat the water. I pour it over an individual tea bag in my mug. But it just ends up tasting like hot water. So then I add more sugar until I have really sweet hot water. Bleck! I have let it steep for a long time (at least 3- 5 minutes; maybe longer) but it still has no flavor. I've even tried several different varieties of tea. They usually smell wonderfully, but have zero flavor. What am I doing wrong?

Buy good quality black tea. Cheap tea tastes like nothing, and herbal tea is kinda anemic, IMO. :001_smile:

You are worse off than I thought. Do we need a second thread to explain why you shouldn't need ANY water for hot chocolate?

:lol: I only recently learned that what I've been calling hot chocolate all my life is actually hot cocoa. I've never had hot chocolate!

If I'm going to bother with loose black tea, I just toss it in the teapot. I think the leaves need space, so I embrace the mess. Then, I pour the tea through a fine mesh strainer into the cups (or into a second, heated pot if it's too much for the cups at hand.). I can produce a sinkfull of dishes from a single pot of tea. We won't get I to my chopstick that marks how high the water must be for x number of cups.

Fill me in on hot chocolate, Panda! LOL :bigear:

Okay, we are loving hot tea!!! So far we like the Twinnings Irish Breakfast Tea, Bigelow Vanilla Chai, and Celestial Seasonings Peach Herbal Tea. So, now we want to know about making loose leaf tea. How do you go about making like four cups at once. I'm looking online at kettles and tea pots, and I'm not sure about how you use all of this. I thought you heat the water in the kettle and pour it in to the tea pot and put the loose tea in an infuser in a tea pot and then pull the tea out after it steeps. Is this correct or does the tea pot itself go on the stove?

No the teapot doesn't go on the stove. You pour the boiling water into it with the loose tea at the bottom. For four cups you probably won't need four times as much tea as for one but you could start there and see how strong you like it.

Here is a link that explains how to make tea.

You will need to get a tea strainer or a really little seive.

My husband grew up in Australia so he is a big tea drinker - every morning. I buy him "Republic of Tea" green tea with any kind of flavor. He loves the mango ceylon, ginger peach, etc. It is expensive, but you can get 2 10oz cups out of 1 tea bag. It, also, makes great iced tea - we mix it with a lipton tea bag to make it go farther in a pitcher.

ReneeR

There are also filter bags that you can buy and fill with loose tea. Some of them fold inside themselves to close and others need a tea clip (these are the kind I use when making a pot). You boil water in a kettle, put the tea in, pour the water over it, close the pot and let it steep for as long as you need to make it the strength you like. You can just put the loose tea in the pot and use a tea strainer when you pour it into the cups, but I find it's difficult to get all the tea leaves out of the pot and it irritates me. Bodum makes lovely tea presses. I dropped my glass one and haven't replaced it yet. Maybe that's what I'll do Monday!

BTW, when we go on our cruise later this month, I'm thinking of taking along a tin of my tea and some of the filter bags so I can have a decent cup in the mornings. On our last cruise they had only tea bags and the tannins in them make them too bitter, IMO. Is it weird to carry your tea with you?

Edited by Mom in High Heels

I use the tea sacs:http://www.amazon.com/CoffeeAM-com-T-Sac-Size-1/dp/B0000CGQC1 along with a tea measure: http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Art-12900-Adjust-A-Tea-Measurer/dp/B002R59GRY/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1346538953&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=tea+measure if I'm making a big pot or 2.

If it is just me, I use: http://www.amazon.com/Adagio-Teas-PersonaliTea-21-Ounce-Ceramic/dp/B000I21K18/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1346538984&sr=1-1&keywords=teapot+with+infuser

I also have this:http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-3-Inch-Strainer/dp/B001713L84/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1346539075&sr=1-3&keywords=tea+strainer which works nicely for straining a large pot or a single mug. Honestly, I bought it for sifting powdered sugar, but it works wonderfully with tea, so I use it primarily for single mugs of loose leaf hot tea

I do have a press, but I prefer that for coffee.

Edited by HollyDay
forgot something

Everyday. One pot for sure, sometimes even two. Coffee and pop don't like me, so my go to is tea.

What I drink: Black tea (Orange Pekoe), "Red Rose" brand, to be exact.

I have an electric kettle and a coffee carafe. I like my tea very steeped. DH usually makes it for me in the morning before he goes to work (around 5:30) so it is ready for me when I get up. Two tea bags in the carafe, pour the boiling water over it. It steeps deep like I like it and stays hot all day that way. When DH is gone, I actually make it before I go to bed so it is ready when I get up.

No, I don't put anything in it. I like it "black".

I was inspired and bought some tea today. I tried some tonight and it still tasted mostly like hot water. I added a bit more sugar, and by the end of the cup, it was tasting some better. Not good, but better. My next step will be to try steeping even longer (I did six minutes this time), and maybe even try two tea bags per mug instead of just one. I also wonder if I'm trying to drink it too hot. Do y'all let it cool any before you drink it? I really want to like this!

I was inspired and bought some tea today. I tried some tonight and it still tasted mostly like hot water. I added a bit more sugar, and by the end of the cup, it was tasting some better. Not good, but better. My next step will be to try steeping even longer (I did six minutes this time), and maybe even try two tea bags per mug instead of just one. I also wonder if I'm trying to drink it too hot. Do y'all let it cool any before you drink it? I really want to like this!

What type of tea did you buy? I've found with some of the brands the tea is just not good. We drink loose tea and really good quality bagged tea and the difference is remarkable. It doesn't taste like hot water at all.

Fill me in on hot chocolate, Panda! LOL :bigear:

Heat some milk gently on the stove, then using your whisk, mix in some Cadbury drinking chocolate or one of the ghirardelli products and enjoy. This is a winter sport for me :)

Do you have a teacup? They're smaller than mugs. Or you could fill your mug with less water. I steep my Irish breakfast tea for 5 minutes (see photos above). What brand are you using? I'm having trouble imagining ANY tea tasting like water after steeping for 6 minutes. In fact, I think that tea that steeps too long tastes bitter and makes your to gue feel weird.

With my tea gadgetry, it's ready to drink as soon as I add a smidge milk and sugar. If I have tea away from home, I do have to remember to cool it a bit so I don't burn my tongue.

What type of tea did you buy? I've found with some of the brands the tea is just not good. We drink loose tea and really good quality bagged tea and the difference is remarkable. It doesn't taste like hot water at all.

I bought Celestial Seasonings herbal tea variety pack and a box of Twinnings Irish Breakfast tea. I tried the CS honey vanilla chamomile tonight.

Do you have a teacup? They're smaller than mugs. Or you could fill your mug with less water. I steep my Irish breakfast tea for 5 minutes (see photos above). What brand are you using? I'm having trouble imagining ANY tea tasting like water after steeping for 6 minutes. In fact, I think that tea that steeps too long tastes bitter and makes your to gue feel weird.

With my tea gadgetry, it's ready to drink as soon as I add a smidge milk and sugar. If I have tea away from home, I do have to remember to cool it a bit so I don't burn my tongue.

I don't have any tea cups. They're all mugs, though I did only fill it a little over half full. I didn't try adding any milk. Think that's the difference?

I'm beginning to wonder if my taste buds are just all screwed up from all the sweet tea and sodas I drink. :tongue_smilie:

I cannot believe there are 9 pages of tea posts and there's really only one Kung-Fu allusion to our board usage of the word. :toetap05: We're actually talking about leaves and kettles and boiling water? tsk, tsk.

P.S. I don't drink much hot tea, but you ladies make me think I'm missing out in a bad way.

I bought Celestial Seasonings herbal tea variety pack and a box of Twinnings Irish Breakfast tea. I tried the CS honey vanilla chamomile tonight.

I don't have any tea cups. They're all mugs, though I did only fill it a little over half full. I didn't try adding any milk. Think that's the difference?

I'm beginning to wonder if my taste buds are just all screwed up from all the sweet tea and sodas I drink. :tongue_smilie:

No, the milk makes it weaker and Twinnings brewed for 6 minutes should be strong enough for a whole mug. Honestly, it would be unbearably bitter to me if I attempted to drink it black, but I think things taste more bitter to me than most. I can't drink coffee or beer at all.

The honey chamomile should be much lighter than than the black tea, but it still has a nice flavor. I have no idea why you can't taste it!

Chamomile does have a very light flavour and colour. I tend to use more than one tea bag for those near-clear herbal types... Also, try sweetening with honey or brown sugar.

Maybe try a black tea for a richer flavour experience.

Thanks for the suggestions. Is Irish Breakfast tea black tea?

I cannot believe there are 9 pages of tea posts and there's really only one Kung-Fu allusion to our board usage of the word. :toetap05: We're actually talking about leaves and kettles and boiling water? tsk, tsk.

P.S. I don't drink much hot tea, but you ladies make me think I'm missing out in a bad way.

Well, there WAS mention of paraphernalia, but I swear it wasn't me :D

Thanks for the suggestions. Is Irish Breakfast tea black tea?

Yes, that should be a black tea. Black teas are brown or orange when steeped, not actually black. Over steeping can cause bitterness, so watch for that as you get used to how strong you like it.

The CS honey vanilla chamomile is not a favorite of mine. I think it is a bit bland, although it smells quite nice.

Of the CS varieties, I like their ginger (holiday only, so I buy extra), red zinger, peppermint, and sleepy time. Dds like blueberry and raspberry.

The CS honey vanilla chamomile is not a favorite of mine. I think it is a bit bland, although it smells quite nice.

Of the CS varieties, I like their ginger (holiday only, so I buy extra), red zinger, peppermint, and sleepy time. Dds like blueberry and raspberry.

It did smell nice. :001_smile: I think this box has peppermint, sleepy time, lemon zinger, chamomile and the honey vanilla chamomile.

What is red zinger?

Rd zinger is a very hibiscus-y one. :001_smile: I don't care for a lot of the heavily flavored tea, black or herbal-- I really only like chamomile, peppermint, and sleepytime for herbal flavors; the fruity ones just taste fakey to me.

But, in my (admittedly snooty) opinion, if you want to learn to drink tea, drink tea, not herbal tisanes. They're fine, and have their place, but aren't really tea. :D

But, in my (admittedly snooty) opinion, if you want to learn to drink tea, drink tea, not herbal tisanes. They're fine, and have their place, but aren't really tea. :D

:iagree: Herbals aren't really tea, IMO.

I agree that something is off if you steeped it for a long time and couldn't taste it. Black teas tend to get very bitter if over steeped. Irish Breakfast can get really bitter IME if over steeped so be careful. It could take some trial and error before you get it right.

I have to take my tea strainer out after about 2-3 minutes for my massive mug of tea or it would be so bitter I couldn't drink it. I've been making breakfast for Indy (who likes Orange Pekoe and Rooibos teas) and Han Solo many times and gotten distracted and forgotten to remove the tea strainer from the cup, make it undrinkable. It makes me sad to have to pour tea down the drain! Sometimes I give it to my plants though. They seem to like it.

Can I tell you how much extra tea (sadly not TeA) I've had since this thread started???? I'm going to float away.

It's because we're being LADIES! Ladies drink tea; we don't discuss TeA while drinking tea. How unrefined. We have to get the spirits out for TeA discussions. It's much more fun that way. Now take your dirty mind away from this refined thread. If you want to start one about TeA though, I'm more than willing to break out some wine. :tongue_smilie:

It's because we're being LADIES! Ladies drink tea; we don't discuss TeA while drinking tea. How unrefined. We have to get the spirits out for TeA discussions. It's much more fun that way. Now take your dirty mind away from this refined thread. If you want to start one about TeA though, I'm more than willing to break out some wine. :tongue_smilie:

OMG! I haven't had TeA since this thread started! Coincidence? I. Think. NOT.

I love loose leaf teas. I enjoy buying unique ones when I can find a tea shop that sells loose leaf. I usually at some milk if I am drinking hot tea in the morning. Evenings I leave out the milk.

I have an inexpensive small teapot I use and bring to my desk on a tea tray with milk and a mug so I can refill as I peruse the news and forums in the morning.

Hmm, I think I need to go brew up some now...

I have been drinking tea to avoid my soda addiction as well. I can now say that I prefer my iced tea to Dr. Pepper. WooHoo! I make either a strong black iced tea or an iced green rooibos, add 1 T of sugar to a half gallon jar and when I pour a tall glass I add around 2 t of half and half.

Its not the "correct" way to make tea but it is delicious any time of day, is low in calories, and has curtailed my soda addiction!