Menu

Arguments FOR a minivan--help!

As you see from my siggie, we were recently blessed with a beautiful, sweet, squishy, snuggly baby. Our fourth.

I've been driving a four-door F-350 diesel truck, which our family now entirely fills. I feel "done" with it. Sure, it's big, awesome, powerful, and people get out of my way. (I secretly think DH considers me sexy for driving it.) But it's a huge pain to park, to turn, and all the groceries have to go in the truckbed now. Won't be fun come the snowy wintertime. I hate getting the kids buckled in it, I hate the potential to door-ding every vehicle we park next to (thanks to kids throwing open the doors upon arrival). I hate nearly getting stuck many times in smaller parking lots. And I hate never being able to use underground parking lots. Oh, and the ride in that truck is so stiff and jarring. I've experienced every one of my pregnancies with this truck, and let me tell you how fun that was NOT!

I want a minivan. BADLY! We just paid off our mortgage, so we can afford a new ride and pay it off quickly. I am leaning Odyssey-ward at the moment, but the exact make and model doesn't matter at this stage of the game.

At this point, my difficulty is in persuading my husband that a minivan is a good thing for us. He wants...wait for it...an EXCURSION! Which in my opinion has all the..uh...benefits of a truck, with the ability to seat 8 or 9 people. He says he worries about us in an accident in a minivan. And says they're not good in the snow--he wants something with four-wheel drive. We don't often go out when it's snowy. Anyway, help me talk him into this... In my opinion, she who drives the vehicle 99% of the time, should have the most say in what she drives!

P.S. I need some really good, logical, hard-to-dispute arguments here. Help me out!

My Oddessy is 10 years old, and I love it!

The sliding doors prevent door dings

The new models have an automatic lift gate, so no wrangling with groceries while trying to open the back

You can put stuff in the back on rainy days (love this, so not possible in dh's truck)

Less likely to roll and better safety ratings than a truck

Lower to the ground, so the kids are less likely to fall when getting in and out

Very easy to park (dh prefers taking the van to church for this reason)

Bigger seats and more room to spread out

We have both a truck and a van, and both have their good and bad points. The van wins hands down though. An excursion is even harder to park and back up, because there are soooo many blind spots. Take him to test drive vans. Some men refuse to drive vans, and maybe secretly he is one of them, but I assure you most of them cave. :) I agree with you that if you drive it, then you should get to pick it. Dh bought a truck, which is very impractical for us, but he wanted it, so he bought it. I said nothing.

Can't really help, other than to respond and bump this for you.

We're supposed to be getting a Yukon XL this wk. Wolf currently drives a mini van, and honestly, we've run out of room. :glare: 4 kids at home, Diva's taller than I am...and the problem we have is we cannot fit another person in. If the kids want to bring a friend, it's a no go...same as picking someone up. And, no room for a dog crate or anything once the ppl are in.

Plus, where we're moving, the road doesn't always get plowed, so we actually *need* a 4 w dr.

In my opinion, she who drives the vehicle 99% of the time, should have the most say in what she drives!

This would be my sticking point right here. If I have to drive it, I get to pick it. Bottom line. I have enough trouble driving a big minivan. I would NOT want to drive an Excursion. The gas mileage alone would deter me.

I think that you would love a Honda. The gas mileage would be much better and honestly, our mini van seats 8 just like our old/bigger style suburban and has about as much cargo space. We live in rural west Michigan and front wheel drive is much better for slippery roads than 4 wheel drive. We use the 4 wheel drive suburban when the roads are NOT plowed and the snow is deep.

The sliding doors would make it much easier to get the kids in and out as well.....with no worries about door dings.

We love our suburban---a 1999 1 ton diesel version BUT we use it only for towing the horse trailer, camping trailer, hay wagons, and other assorted trailers. We don't use it as an everyday vehicle.

I agree that whoever drives a vehicle the most should get to choose the vehicle.

Tell him to get snow tires put on the van. They work very well. When we moved here from the Boston area, DH couldn't get his Grand Marquis up our driveway on snowy days. Someone told us about snow tires and after he got them, he had no problems driving in snow. (We had a lot more snow in Boston, but the roads were plowed a lot better, so no problems with regular tires there.)

About a decade ago, my DH traded in my beloved van and bought me an SUV for Mother's Day. His reasoning was the same as your DH's. I didn't want to hurt DH's feelings, so I didn't say anything. Now, I'm so used to the SUV that I won't give it up until it gasps its last breath. It is a PITA to park, especially in places at which the parking lot designers thought everyone was driving a minicar. It gets 10 mpg and is, therefore, a gas hog. It is harder to maneuver than my van was, that is for sure. (I have a zillion good things to say about it, too -- except that you aren't looking for that. I love my Navigator so much that, even though I would rather have a Suburban, I buy winter coats and dogs that look good against its color.)

Here's an article about the Excursion:

"In editorial reviews, the Ford Excursion's size prevented it from scoring high marks as a daily driver. Steering feel was vague, and ride quality was rough and bouncy. Routine trips down the expressway were a chore, as continual steering correction was needed to keep the big Ford from wandering out of its lane. Acceleration was leisurely no matter which drivetrain you selected, as the engines were tasked with motivating more than 7,000 pounds of vehicle. In consumer reviews, the Excursion was praised for its roomy interior and panned for its interior styling and poor fuel economy."

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/excursion/

Here are Honda Odyssey reviews: http://www.edmunds.com/search/results.html?q=honda+odyssey+reviews&src=usergen&ac=&header_submit.x=44&header_submit.y=11

Boy, that sounds like a nice van. It is what I wanted when I got the Nav, and these reviews spell out why.

I love my mini-van which is funny because when I was younger I swore I would never drive one. After we had our third, we test drove one just because the guy at the dealership suggested one, and I fell in love with it.

I can't compare driving it to an SUV because I've never driven one. I do know that the gas mileage is better in a mini-van. Some models come with AWD which may be helpful in the snow.

I agree with a prior poster that you should go out and test drive a couple. Get a feel for them and the SUV and then tell your hubby exactly why you prefer one over the other.

No amount of logic or rationale will convince a man to voluntarily get a mini-van. I say go with irrational emotion. Maybe lots and lots of eye batting, a few snuggles, and throw some tears in there too, if need be.

My dh absolutely refused a mini-van. After months, I finally convinced him to at least go with me so that I could test drive one. After seeing my happy face and noticing how much easier it would be for me to get everyone in and out, he relented and we bought it.

I think the Sienna has all wheel drive. When it comes to the Odyssey or Sienna, the Sienna wins for snow in our snowy town. But, to be clear, there are PLENTY of Odysseys around. I think the Sienna wins for people who are nervous about driving in the snow.

What about an Acadia, Enclave or Outlook? They are all the same car. My mom has an Enclave and my best friend got an Acadia and both and love it! We all live in snowy upstate NY and it does just fine. However, it doesn't have sliding doors. I do love those.

I have a Mazda5, a 'mini-minivan'. I would not suggest it with 4 kids.

Hondas are more reliable

Less gas by far

It seats 8 comfortably

The new van is the BOMB and the sound system is amazing(has a subwoofer!)

Back up camera with guide lines and panoramic view is a MUST with small kids

Fits in the garage

Has a TON of storage space

has a cool box which is so handy when you want cool drinks on the road

The middle console in between the front seats is removable!

Cup holders galore

Less expensive I bet

USB connection for charging iproducts.

I have a 2012 EXL with nav. Let me tell you it is so amazing! Even my 17 yr old's friends think it is the coolest van ever. We travel 9 hours to the beach and we are not squished in. The remote hatch is a great option. The only downfall is that the DVD system with the Nav is only available on the touring model which is a waste of money. You can have the dealer put in an after market system for about $1k. We opted to do single DVDs that hang on the back of seats for the trips since they all don't want to watch the same thing at the same time anyway. 2010 was the last year they were available together on the EXL model. This is our 3rd van and I will never own a different kind-especially American. They just don't touch the imports we have owned in terms of reliability, service, and overall value.

Well, we managed to have a rollover accident that totaled our Expedition while driving it on ice.

So then when we needed a vehicle to hold six people, we opted for a minivan rather than another SUV. There are things I like better about the van and things I liked better about the SUV.

SUV -- I *did* feel a bit better driving it in wet/snowy weather, but I also think that's because its tires were relatively new, and the van needs new ones. It did have 4WD, though if I used it, it was rare. It was a great vehicle, and I liked driving it. It actually could hold eight people, whereas the van only holds seven, and all rows had good foot room. (At the time the Expedition was wrecked, we were not regularly using the third row, whereas we've never not used the third row in the van, but I think the third row's foot room was comparable, if not better, in the Expedition.)

Van -- gas mileage. That's the main reason we opted for a van. (Plus purchase cost was far less for the same vintage of vehicle.) I get closer to 20 mpg in the van, and I was getting only about 13 in the Expedition; when you live minimum of 10 miles from anything, that difference adds up quickly.

The van is comfortable to drive, and I do like the sliding doors (and if you're getting a newer one that has the automatic sliding doors, even better!). I had a fancy options package on the Expedition, so I had heated seats, leather, multi-CD changer, and movable pedals -- none of which I have in the van, so it's a little hard to compare those little details. But I'm pretty sure the van is quieter than the Expedition, and the rear row has headrests, which is important for the head safety of the boostered/seatbelt-only children; I can't remember if the rear row of the Expedition had those or not, but I don't think it did. The rear row of the van is wider, I think, than the Expedition's rear row too, I believe.

The van wins on cargo space, compared to the Expedition with the third row in use, but with an Excursion, that might not be an issue. But an Excursion is a lot of vehicle to haul around on a regular basis if you don't need its special capabilities.

Oh, and my DH wasn't thrilled about getting a minivan. But he's the one who wrecked the Expedition, and in the end, it was a financial decision. It just didn't make sense to pay much more money for another SUV when we just did not need its abilities on a regular basis. (I don't love that we no longer have any 4WD vehicle, but we've made it through a couple of winters without one so far, and since I don't need to go out every day, if the weather is iffy, I just stay home.)

Edited by happypamama

It is much safer in the parking lot to own a minivan with that many children because of the sliding doors.

It may sound silly, but it with an SUV, this is the scene: walking out of the grocery store with kids in tow, trying to make certain everyone stays by the car. hold hands, etc., carrying the baby seat, opening the SUV doors for everyone (or constantly reminding them not to ding the cars on the side), getting baby in, helping others get buckled if needed, etc., etc.

Compare this to having a minivan with sliding doors:

Walk out of the grocery store and as you are approaching the van, unlock with key fob and hit the button to open the doors. The doors on both sides of the van slide open. As children are piling in the van on one side, you are on the other side supervising as you are buckling baby into the car seat on the other side. It is just so easy (and fast). Instead of waiting on you or banging the doors into other cars, they immediately start climbing in when they see the doors open. It is *a lot* less stressful.

I owned an Expedition when we had four kids and loved it. I also loved driving my F-150 (two kids then) and miss it.

BUT, this feature alone is worth it to drive a minivan. ;)

The only other SUV I would change for might be a Honda Pilot, but I am not sure I am willing to give up the sliding doors...

Edited by besroma

I've been driving a mini van for 10 years. LOVE it. The sliding doors alone are so worth it. Dealing with carseats in pull out doors a huge pain. Did that for my son's first year, and need to do it occasionally in my DH's vehicle. Not a fan of that at all. Most of the top mini-vans get great safety ratings too. We live in the upper midwest where we get plenty of snow. Winter driving has not been an issue at all and I haven't made different driving decisions because of it.

Except for electricity, there is nothing other than a minivan that has made my job as mom easier.

I've owned two Hummers -- an h2 and an h3 -- and driving them was the best experience -- driving them with kids.....not so much.

Yes, going from an H2 to a Dodge Grand Caravan is kind is kind of like going from Orlando Bloom to Mr.Bean --- but I will always think of Orlando Bloom fondly while my life is so much easier in every little driving task with Mr. Bean.;)

I have a Sienna all wheel drive. I'd run you down before you'd take it away from me. The sliding side doors alone are just something I will never give up. I have all the bells and whistles lilke the automatic opening doors and back, which really helps when we have to run to the car in the rain, and it rains a fair amount here.

It's like a mini house on wheels.

Ironically, it was dh who pushed me to get a minivan in our home. I wanted an SUV, but he's so conservative and a money guy that he created a spreadsheet (he's an accountant) to show me WHY it is more affordable and practical to own a minivan.

-better gas mileage, lower monthly gas costs

-cheaper to repair (usually)

-cheaper to insure because it's safer to drive

-often lower car payments than a larger SUV

It also drives smoother than a large SUV, has plenty of space, automatic doors, better handling, and many times better safety ratings than an SUV.

After lots of test drives, we have been a minivan family for 6 years. I love my van and I am grateful for it. It's even good in the snow. We have all-weather tires on it.

My neighbor went from a minivan to a Navigator, and she regrets it because it's SO expensive to maintain, fuel, and insure.

Good luck as you make your decision!

We have two minivans. We bought a Chrysler Town & Country when DS was a baby. We replaced it with the Dodge Grand Caravan 8 years ago, then DH chose an Odyssey for himself 5 years ago. He plays double bass and it is so easy to get that thing in and out. The turning radius is incredible.

DH has a great story. Years ago, we were building an entertainment center in the den. DH was at Home Depot purchasing the pre-fab cabinets for the base and plywood sheets for the shelving above. We had removed all the seats so that he could fit it in there. When it was time to leave, it was pouring rain outside. He pulled the van under the covered drive, loaded up his cabinets and plywood, shut the back, and drove off. All the guys with pickup trucks were waiting for the rain to stop. :)

No amount of logic or rationale will convince a man to voluntarily get a mini-van. I say go with irrational emotion. Maybe lots and lots of eye batting, a few snuggles, and throw some tears in there too, if need be.

My dh absolutely refused a mini-van. After months, I finally convinced him to at least go with me so that I could test drive one. After seeing my happy face and noticing how much easier it would be for me to get everyone in and out, he relented and we bought it.

Funny, here it was me that was resistant to the mini-van. Then I test drove one. My parents had an old Chevy Astro back in the '90s that was a monster to drive and I thought all mini-vans were built on the same principles. I was stunned to test-drive a Sienna and an Odyssey and discover they weren't much different than driving our Honda Civic :D 7 yrs later, I still love my Sienna.

I have a Sienna all wheel drive. I'd run you down before you'd take it away from me. The sliding side doors alone are just something I will never give up. I have all the bells and whistles lilke the automatic opening doors and back, which really helps when we have to run to the car in the rain, and it rains a fair amount here.

It's like a mini house on wheels.

:iagree: I only have the one power door, and when we trade-in and get a new one here in a couple of years, I want the dual power doors with the power hatch back. I love that it's so comfortable to ride in, the back bench is split so you can fold one, two or all three seats down. The middle captain's chairs fold down/roll forward/can be removed.

Last night we went to a big family dinner and packed 3 kids, 2 long folding tables, a kid sized picnic table (folds flat), 6 camp chairs in assorted sizes, a Costco cake, a Costco-sized box of forks, a giant bag full of swim gear, a smaller bag full of camera gear, a bag of clothing, a bag of rolls, and a few books into the back. We had to fold the one seat side of the back bench down to accommodate the long tables. Otherwise, everything else would have fit easily in the cargo space.

At this point, my difficulty is in persuading my husband that a minivan is a good thing for us. He wants...wait for it...an EXCURSION! Which in my opinion has all the..uh...benefits of a truck, with the ability to seat 8 or 9 people. He says he worries about us in an accident in a minivan. And says they're not good in the snow--he wants something with four-wheel drive. We don't often go out when it's snowy. Anyway, help me talk him into this... In my opinion, she who drives the vehicle 99% of the time, should have the most say in what she drives!

P.S. I need some really good, logical, hard-to-dispute arguments here. Help me out!

The Excursion will be a killer on gas. They are good in the snow, however (do not know where you are).

You can get good tires on your minivan and it will be ok. I bought mine cash from an elderly man, who had hardly driven it. They went to Florida a few times and wanted the room for cargo.

We just moved my daughter into a dorm and that massive back end was wonderful for packing. It's also easier to get your kids in and out of a minivan, I believe.

The one who drives it should have the say. I hate cars, because I like to ride higher so I wanted my spouse to get an SUV. But HE likes cars, so that's what he has.

LOVE my mini-van. My Grand Caravan is fantastic in the snow. We live in rural MN on the prairie, so we definitely have a lot of nasty snow issues.

If I was purchasing a different vehicle, I would get as much seating as possible. I can only haul around 1 friend unless I leave kids at home. I'm at the point where my oldest kids stay home so I can chauffeur their friends to and from our house. I would be in heaven if I could take 2-3 extra people.

I live in a very snowy area. I have a honda odyssey and LOVE it.

If you're worried about traction, get snow tires. Personally, I think that 4wd is overrated in most circumstances (excepting things like living up a mountain pass or being a doctor who has to get to work no matter the weather, etc). For me as a mom with kids, we have the option to stay home if the weather is *that* bad. It snows a lot here, but this still only happens a few times a year.

Pluses to the minivan - I can walk around inside it. This is so nice when the weather is bad, I just get everyone INSIDE and climb in then do all the buckles and such. It drives nicely, and can park anywhere. It feels safer because it has really good signtlines - I don't feel like I'm going to run over people in the parking lot because I'm driving a tank. I can bring other people along (a sitter, visiting family, etc.). The sliding doors are awesome. Everything (kids, luggage, groceries, etc) is inside and out of the weather (how do you bring a stroller along in a truck when it is raining?) If we have to wait somewhere in bad weather, I can let everyone out of their seats and let them climb around or go back there and read books. The gas mileage is good! I get 20+mpg.

These have probably all been said:

-auto doors are a necessity for me now! They are so convenient with a baby and an armful of stuff-just push a button and the door is open-no struggling or juggling.

-better gas mileage-saves $$

-seats can be folded down for storage when hauling large items. We can actually get more in my Odyssey than in our 3/4 ton Suburban when all seats are folded down! Seriously!

-easier to park!

If you are the main driver then you should get to pick the vehicle ;)

Good luck

No real arguments, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE My minivan. I thought I would hate driving one. I looked at all the other options. I went kicking and screaming. But I LOVE It. It is like my own mini environment. Room for a potty seat. Room to change the baby's diaper. Etc etc. LOVE it. Even my husband kind of likes it now. It is just that convenient.

If you get stow and go seating you can easily fold the seats into the floor and then it is even better than a pick up truck for hauling things.

As you see from my siggie, we were recently blessed with a beautiful, sweet, squishy, snuggly baby. Our fourth.

I've been driving a four-door F-350 diesel truck, which our family now entirely fills. I feel "done" with it. Sure, it's big, awesome, powerful, and people get out of my way. (I secretly think DH considers me sexy for driving it.) But it's a huge pain to park, to turn, and all the groceries have to go in the truckbed now. Won't be fun come the snowy wintertime. I hate getting the kids buckled in it, I hate the potential to door-ding every vehicle we park next to (thanks to kids throwing open the doors upon arrival). I hate nearly getting stuck many times in smaller parking lots. And I hate never being able to use underground parking lots. Oh, and the ride in that truck is so stiff and jarring. I've experienced every one of my pregnancies with this truck, and let me tell you how fun that was NOT!

I want a minivan. BADLY! We just paid off our mortgage, so we can afford a new ride and pay it off quickly. I am leaning Odyssey-ward at the moment, but the exact make and model doesn't matter at this stage of the game.

KEEP your truck for when you need it and get the mini-van. If the truck sits relatively unused for a year, then sell it. Minivans may not be sexy, but they are practical.

I forgot about the awesome turning radius and the fold down seats that PP mentioned. My van turns on a dime so smoothly. This summer we were doing some work in the house and went to get some stuff at Lowes. 8 foot long box? No problem for the Honda. You can put full size sheets of plywood in that sucker!

I was just rear ended pretty hard in our minivan (Freestar) and it just cracked the bumper. And we drive it every winter in the snow. It doesn't handle as well as dh's old 4 wheel drive truck did, but it's good enough. (and a lot better than the little cars do) I do like it, for all the reasons you mentioned wanting one. With the kids, it's very practical. Oh, and when I was a teen, we rolled our Aerostar minivan. We were driving in a blizzard (probably should've just pulled over, but it hit fast and dad kept going) hit ice, spun, flipped all the way atound and landed in the ditch right-side up. The front end was bad and the driver's door wouldn't even open. But we all walked away perfectly fine. So, I think a minivan is safe enough.

We are getting our second minivan as we have outgrown our first(we are adding our 6th child). I cried when I had to hand over the keys to my SUV after baby #3. I thought I would miss it. And I said I would NEVER own a minivan. Our reasons for getting a minivan are the same for getting the 2nd one.

Sliding doors. So nice not to worry about the kids opening the doors and hitting cars(or jamming fingers!) The doors are open before we get there and everyone jumps in at the same time. With the SUV, I had to leave my 2 year old out so I could buckle the baby in the center. I was SO nervous about this. Once just a few months after I got the van a stranger followed me and the kids out of Sam's Club. I noticed him out of the corner of my eye and threw everyone in quickly.

Space in the back. The SUV we had fit all three kids with the optional 3rd row BUT: there was ZERO space left for a few bags of groceries and a stroller.

Comfort. The minivan is just so much more comfortable for the kids.

Safety. The side curtain airbags are a huge reassurance.

We are looking at the Odyssey and the Sienna. Honestly, I will miss our Town and Country and the Stow and Go. There is only seating for 7 and there are only 3 latch locations(as opposed to 5 in the Sienna).

Will not even consider an SUV this time.

I'm on my third minivan...so 22 years of driving one--got our first, a Ford Aerostar, when ds#2 was an infant. I love their versitility.

We got ours because of kiddoes and all the sports and music equipment they need to haul. But I've also hauled a ton of stuff, too. Mine is older so I take the seats out in back, spread a tarp or an old quilt and go to the garden center for mulch, shrubs, and an occasional tree. We've hauled home lumber, supplies, and even a side by side refridgerator (took it out of the packaging first.)

My beloved Dodge Grand Caravan (our second one) is about to turn over 190,000 miles--still gets 21mpg in town, looks good and works pretty darn great. I'm going to need to replace it soon and I don't need it for kids anymore, but I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm going to replace it with that is as versatile, as easy to drive, and as good on gas mileage.

My friend has a Lexus SUV that frustrates her because she can't go to the garden center like I can.

Love, love, love our Excursion. We get great gas mileage as we are diesel not reg gas(reg gas gets horrible mileage). We park out as we prefer to walk. It hauls everything (we tow a lot). Personally, I would look at SUV not minivans but I don't care for mini vans. I can fit more in the Excursion and my friends Yukon than a MIL minivan. I would try driving a few different types of SUVs and minivans and see what just feels right.

I haven't read the other replies but my number one reason for opting for a van when I have little ones is the doors. You have no worries that a little one is going to swing open a door and ding an innocent vehicle next to you. That was reason enough for my DH.

Now that my kids are getting older I might opt for an SUV when we buy a new vehicle. Of course, that will still be a few years and by that point we may be able to buy a CAR! I bet that will be bitter-sweet.

I haven't read the entire thread. I have a Chrysler T & C 2011...

The Penstar engine is errrrr, shall we say, responsive? I have aced young men in Mustangs (granted not the real ones of the past) off the line at a light.

Probably not the gist of this thread so I should just :leaving::laugh:

I haven't read the entire thread. I have a Chrysler T & C 2011...

The Penstar engine is errrrr, shall we say, responsive? I have aced young men in Mustangs (granted not the real ones of the past) off the line at a light.

Probably not the gist of this thread so I should just :leaving::laugh:

:D