Menu

Which to tacke first? (poll to follow)

Which to start with?  

1. 1. Which to start with?

• Movie sorting
    • Laundry sort and put away
    • Get to the bottom of the toy room
    • Other (you're going to come help?! Awesome!)

Tackle, not tacke.

I have 3 "big" things I need to get done. Which should I start with?

I have HUGE stacks of movies that i need to separate and put away. All allowed movies go in the case, while the banned movies will go in my closet. It will take a couple of hours.

Most of our laundry is clean, but nothing is ever put away. It needs to be done. I fell behind on the kids one outfit punishment because of my father visiting and my working. This will take several hours. I will also be going through everything to sell or donate.

The toy room is not accessible. You could try, but i can't promise your safety! Lol. I expect this to take several days since i have to organize, sort (sell/donate), and clean the room under all the carp.

Edited by amo_mea_filiis

Set the kids to tidying up the toy room, start a load of laundry then get busy with the movies. Swap out laundry, check on the kids (you know they aren't cleaning, but let it go) and finish the movies.

Swap more laundry and start putting away what you have washed. Check on the kids and crack the whip a bit all the while knowing they aren't going to be cleaning that room. Sort the laundry into your bags/piles. Keep at the swapping.

Fix dinner, eat and get the kids to clean up the kitchen while you finish the laundry chores.

Tomorrow you can go in there and help the kids sort the toy room. By day's end you'll have three big jobs done in two days.

Set the kids to tidying up the toy room, start a load of laundry then get busy with the movies. Swap out laundry, check on the kids (you know they aren't cleaning, but let it go) and finish the movies.

Swap more laundry and start putting away what you have washed. Check on the kids and crack the whip a bit all the while knowing they aren't going to be cleaning that room. Sort the laundry into your bags/piles. Keep at the swapping.

Fix dinner, eat and get the kids to clean up the kitchen while you finish the laundry chores.

Tomorrow you can go in there and help the kids sort the toy room. By day's end you'll have three big jobs done in two days.

I like this! Only problem is that the laundry is clean, it just has to be put away. I think I'll start here.

Just so no one thinks i have thousands of square feet covered by toys, the toy room is 9'x7' at its largest points. When it was ds's room, i had to take off the door so his bed would fit where i wanted.

What Chucki said.

If it's just clean laundry that needs to be put away, I would sort it into folded piles and put away / assign to children based on ability. No culling.

Then, I would sort the movies while they work on the playroom.

When you're done with the movies, help finish tidying the playroom. Then, set about culling toys and clothing for donation.

I agree with doing the shortest job first.

As for the kids, I like the idea of sending them into the toy room. Give them each a big box or bag (or ten) and tell them to pack up the stuff they think should be donated to charity. And also give them a big garbage bag for stuff that even a churchmouse wouldn't want. (You can go through the stuff later if you aren't sure.) Then get busy on the movies.

I always put laundry away as soon as it comes out of the dryer. It would drive me nuts to have it pile up all the time.

I would team work single projects to get more done faster. If you are in the room with the kids, then they will actually work and get some work done. It is also more fun when you have somone to work with you. Put on some good music.

I would have the kids layout every movie box on the floor. Then grab the disks and have them start matching them up. As they match them, have them hand them to you do put in two stacks, keep and go. This task can be done and you can move on.

Take a break, eat lunch what ever. Make sure you get a special treat for you hard work.

Then tackle the toy room. Lay out bins on the floor and have the kids start sorting the toys in 'rough draft' style. Doll stuff, cars, legos/knex ect, little kid toys, mics bin, ect...and donation bin. As the kids find items they want to get rid of, toss them directly into the donation bin. After the floor is clear, start a 'final draft' of each bin. Dump it out and sort again. Tossing broken parts, putting more things in the donation bin etc. Make a goal that this project WILL get done today. With a couple people working on it, it shouldn't take more than 2 hours.

If you have time, start the laundry sorting.

Majority wins. I am starting with the laundry.

I really like the idea of a team effort, but i would rather the kids not be involved too much. I can toss much more with them out of sight. Same with the movies. I'd rather ds not see what i'm taking away. He doesn't understand why he can't watch american pie or kingpin!

Start with a Mike's. THEN do a load of laundry, then tell the kids that whatever is NOT put away by a certain time goes Goodwill. Do the movies while the laundry is going. When the time is up for the toy room, pack up the stuff that is left in the toy room, and put it in the garage.

Tackle, not tacke.

I have HUGE stacks of movies that i need to separate and put away. All allowed movies go in the case, while the banned movies will go in my closet. It will take a couple of hours.

Most of our laundry is clean, but nothing is ever put away. It needs to be done. I fell behind on the kids one outfit punishment because of my father visiting and my working. This will take several hours. I will also be going through everything to sell or donate.

The toy room is not accessible. You could try, but i can't promise your safety! Lol. I expect this to take several days since i have to organize, sort (sell/donate), and clean the room under all the carp.

You: sort out and put away banned movies

Kids: put away the other movies

==

set up a place for:

toys to give away/toys to sell/toys to put away

alternate 15-30 minutes on putting away laundry/sorting toys

==

put giveaway items in the car trunk or some other way of getting them gone sooner than later

put toys with a 'home' away

hth...*slinks away from computer to take my own advice*

Tackle, not tacke.

With the exception of the first job, are you me? :lol:

I give my kids a number of toys - 10 or 20. They have x amount of time to go pick up those toys. Then they get to do what they want, 30 minutes or so later they have to do another set of toys. A pile of legs or other small thing is one toy! I have also done 30 toys is x minutes of wii or tv.

Give your kids a number and then tackle the movies which may be the quickest task. Take a break. Move on to laundry when movies are done. By the time tou get through your two jobs the kids should have picked up enough toys to get you into the playroom safely ;)

i'd do 15 minutes of movies, 15 minutes of laundry, 15 minutes of toy room, 15 minutes of playing with my kids/playing on the internet/drinking tea. rinse, repeat until done.

but first i'd put on some good working music, because it helps :001_smile:.

ann

i always start with a list and then prioritize it. That takes at least two days. Then I plan out the best way to proceed with each task. Then occassionally I get a wild hair up my arse and run through the house and get it done all on the same day. Otherwise I like to clean in a sweeping pattern. I like to start in my closet and work my way out and down the stairs. That is because I know that no one is going to go behind me and mess it all up so I can look back at see what I have already accomplished. Sometime I have to do the downstairs first because that is where my hubby uses for an office and it get frequent traffic. I hate that because it doesn't stay clean til the end of the day.

Edited by KidsHappen

I hummed and hawed between the laundry room and the toy room, but then I realized, my kids don't play well in a messy toy room. If it was me, I would clean the toy room, because then they would stay out of my way while I did the rest.

I voted for other!

Have your kids sort and put away the laundry. And make this their responsibility from now on. You wash and fold. They sort and put away. Problem solved forever!

Then I would tackle the playroom -- again, they are old enough to be right there in the thick of it with you! I have found if they have a designated place for everything, it is easier for kids to keep it clean and organized. Even though you said it is a small room, toy rooms can be overwhelming. Start with each person picking one category of toys to find and put away -- like one kid does all legos, another does all stuffed animals, or whatever you have. Tackle a category a day, and you will be done before you know it --without being so overwhelmed.

Lastly, I would do the movies. As I watched a movie. So it isn't so boring!

Good luck to you!