Menu

Another naming help question

Baby's name...  

1. 1. Baby's name...

• Catherine Adelaide (call her Cate, Cat, etc.)
    • Catherine Adelaide (call her Addie)
    • Catherine Linda (2 names I'm not thrilled about, but does the job)
    • Other- Katherine? something else?

My due date is the 14th, and dh and I have struggled for the last nine months finding a name we can agree on, etc. Our other children are named William, Sophia, and Henry. We both like classic names, but many of the good ones have become popular, like Sophia :( My husband insists on it being versatile.

He likes Catherine, which I think is a beautiful name, but very common in every age bracket. I like "Adelaide" (Ada, Addie), a nod to a very distant Norman grandmother. However, people think that I'm saying "Natalie" and I have to repeat myself. Our last name starts with K. He mentioned using "Linda", his mother's name in it somewhere, but that name seems dated in a bad way. She is a marvelous woman that I adore and I know she would love it.

Help! Wait for the poll.

I'm not positive about it, but it seems y'all like Catherine Adelaide well enough for it to be two choices. What about calling her Heidi? Maybe Adelle? I don't really like Addie or Cat. Kate would be fine, but I don't like it spelled with a C. And it is *super* popular as a nickname for several girls with these kinds of names.

How about Caytelin Adelaide :) Can't figure out how "Catelyn" could be readjusted for the "Lin" part of Linda... but it's possible :) Originally, I hear that "Catelyn" is more like "Cathlyn"... but that's just what I was told... Don't know if it bugs you or you like that it'd be "CAT" for the initials... I think it's cute ;) Caytlin.. Kaytlin :) hmmmmm

Catherine is actually ranked a good bit lower these days than any of your other names (it might be up there at henry level if you combine spellings), so if you have no regrets about those, I wouldn't worry about Catherine's popularity. If you're going with a very common name, I think "popular in every age bracket" is the way to go, really--it means it's classic instead of trendy and will age well. I'd love to have a William, but, particularly with my other kids' (far less common) names, I just can't bring myself to do it. It's actually the number one name for boys in our state. But I almost get there sometimes :)

I've not found Catherine to be that popular at all. Maybe it's just our region :confused:. It's solid and classic :001_smile:. My daughter has a *real* mouthful for a name because she has 2 middle names. One is Korean, so it's a two-parter, and the other is Catherine. Our last name is also fairly long, so we kept her first name simple.

I didn't worry about long names because the only time, in our family, that middle names come up are on paperwork, or if someone asks.

I voted Catherine Adelaide, but I'd call her Cate or Kitty, if you must use a nickname. Catherine is beautiful on it's own.

Edited by sparrow

We have friends who named their baby girl Annika- a name I had never heard before, but I really like it. I think that would make a lovely middle name with Katherine.

My dd's name is Annika (pronounced AH-nih-cuh), it's actually a very popular name in the north central IA/south central MN area my dh is from. Lots of people with some sort of scandinavian in them live in the area and we were told it's a very popular name in Norway where dh's great-great-great ancestors are from.

Sorry for the off-track comment OP. I like both Catherine and Adelaide, but I agree that putting them together is a bit of a mouthful. Maybe Adelaide Kate would work.

I agree. I like Catherine and Adelaide, but not together. We wanted to incorporate "Lynn/Linn" into our dd's name and ended up choosing it as a middle name.

Other names we considered included Kaitlyn, Lindsay, Linnea. I think Cathlyn is really cute, but I'd bet everyone thinks it's Catherine anyway. :glare: Madeline also adds in the "Lin" part of Linda.

Most people almost never refer to their middle names, so I would go with Linda and make GM very happy. Besides in 20 years Linda might be a really cool name that is so unusual.

I find it interesting that you want 'classic' names, but don't want the names to be popular, but then go with a nickname that would make the name more popular.

Why does Adelaide makes me think of Australia? Is it a town in Australia? I don't care for Adelaide.

I LOVE Kate/Katie.

How about Lidia? Do you like Linda? From the pole sounds lilke not quite.

Lidia, Linette, Lilly, Lillian, Kate for middle?

I just said Catherine Linette out loud and it sounds lovely :D and it goes with a K last name. There, problem solved :lol:

One of my favorite aunts is Katherine with a middle name of Frances. I really wanted to name a daughter of my own Katherine. My grandmother chose K over C because during the Depression one of the kindest people she ever met was a woman named Katherine. Frances is a family name as well. My aunt has always been known as Katherine, no nicknames. If you don't like Linda, maybe you can use a form of it like Belinda.

This website tracks the popularity trends of every name:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

I like Catherine and I like Adelaide. I even like them together, even though it does get to be a lot of syllables. :) You could tweak Adelaide to give a nod to Linda by changing it to Adalyn or Adelyn. Addie is a nickname option. Adalyn Catherine sounds a little odd because they both end with Ns.

I love this website for name ideas, too:

http://nymbler.com

We were having a hard time naming our FIFTH girl in a row. I popped in the names of her sisters and Nymbler spat out a list of names we'd probably also like. It was right and we named her one of those suggestions. :)

When I type in your children's names it suggests names like:

Caroline

Charlotte

Elizabeth

Lydia

Julia

Alice

Catherine

Evelyn

This website tracks the popularity trends of every name:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

I like Catherine and I like Adelaide. I even like them together, even though it does get to be a lot of syllables. :) You could tweak Adelaide to give a nod to Linda by changing it to Adalyn or Adelyn. Addie is a nickname option. Adalyn Catherine sounds a little odd because they both end with Ns.

I love this website for name ideas, too:

http://nymbler.com

We were having a hard time naming our FIFTH girl in a row. I popped in the names of her sisters and Nymbler spat out a list of names we'd probably also like. It was right and we named her one of those suggestions. :)

When I type in your children's names it suggests names like:

Caroline

Charlotte

Elizabeth

Lydia

Julia

Alice

Catherine

Evelyn

I like those. I'm Kathryn Elizabeth. I've always loved my name, though I would have preferred a more traditional spelling. And, although I've never used a nickname, there are tons of possibilities between my first and middle names.

We named DD Lucinda after my mom, Linda. It was just different enough to be its own name, but the nod is very clearly there. We call her Lucy.

Catherine Lucinda or Lucinda Catherine both sound nice to my ears, and you get both the classic names and family connection.

We just named my youngest daughter Adelaide. She's Adelaide Charlotte. What we're running into more is people thinking her name is Adelay. Is that even a name?

I voted Catherine Adelaide.

ETA: Other our other daughters are Lydia and Eleanor, both of which are classic but not too overdone right now.

We just named my youngest daughter Adelaide. She's Adelaide Charlotte. What we're running into more is people thinking her name is Adelay. Is that even a name?

ETA: Other our other daughters are Lydia and Eleanor, both of which are classic but not too overdone right now.

I love your girls' names! One of my DD's middle name is Charlotte, and Eleanor was on our short list for that baby!

I'm going to try to be so, so gentle.

I think Catherine and Adelaide together is kind of a mouthful. I really, really like Adelaide, but I don't think it flows especially well after Catherine.

Both names are pretty, though.

Don't worry about this. My dd has a similar name, 9 letter first & middle. I was told by a friend that it just didn't work, it's a mouthful etc. If you choose that, it does work, it's just fine. DD's name rolls off the my tongue beautifully and easily now.

I LOVE Eleanor. That was YDS's girl name. ODS's girl name was Lillian.