Menu

Does eating healthy equal always hungry?

I really want to eat healthier and to lose weight. I know from experience that eating a lot of fruit and vegetables reduces some of the pain I deal with. My thought is to eat fruits, vegetables, and reasonable portions of meat while reducing the dairy, carbs, and especially sugar.

So, here's what I ate today:

BREAKFAST: About a cup of scrambled omelette with spinach, chives, tomatoes, and a little sausage, a nectarine, and a small handful of grapes. I started with half a cup of the omelette but I was still hungry.

LUNCH: 2 1/2 cups of Parisian salad kit (spring mix, dried cranberries, frosted almonds, feta, white balsamic vinaigrette) and a slice of crusty bread with butter

SNACK: one homemade chocolate chip cookie

DINNER: 3-4oz salmon, about 3/4 cup fresh steam green beans, and about 4 cups of salad (spring mix, dried cranberries, almond slivers, feta, tomatoes, shredded carrots, and a homemade champagne vinegrette)

About an hour after finishing dinner, I was starving. It felt like I hadn't eaten dinner. I checked my blood sugar. It was 83.

So, yes, I did just eat 5 cookies and a cup of milk. Yes, I'm still hungry.

Anyway...so do I just eat every hour or two? Or what should I change so I'm not prowling for food all of the time?

The always hungry feeling is probably the main reason I'm not eating healthier lately. I have tried it, I know eating well helps me feel better and lose weight, yet I really, really don't like that gnawing feeling in my belly! Salad is actually the worst for me...I have no idea why but no matter how much salad I eat or what I've added to it I'm still hungry afterward.

When I'm trying to eat healthier I eat a lot of cereal as it is the one low-fat thing I can indulge in that might fill me up at least somewhat without breaking my diet goals.

Depends on what your definition of eating healthy is. I find that if I eat lean meat + water filled veggies, I'm not full. I need some fullness/fat in there - diced avocado or chickpeas on the salad, a hearty bread, baked sweet potato with rosemary and sea salt, roasted corn.

The balance has to be there. No balance, no satisfy.

I really want to eat healthier and to lose weight. I know from experience that eating a lot of fruit and vegetables reduces some of the pain I deal with. My thought is to eat fruits, vegetables, and reasonable portions of meat while reducing the dairy, carbs, and especially sugar.

BREAKFAST: About a cup of scrambled omelette with spinach, chives, tomatoes, and a little sausage, a nectarine, and a small handful of grapes. I started with half a cup of the omelette but I was still hungry.

LUNCH: 2 1/2 cups of Parisian salad kit (spring mix, dried cranberries, frosted almonds, feta, white balsamic vinaigrette) and a slice of crusty bread with butter

DINNER: 3-4oz salmon, about 3/4 cup fresh steam green beans, and about 4 cups of salad (spring mix, dried cranberries, almond slivers, feta, tomatoes, shredded carrots, and a homemade champagne vinegrette)

About an hour after finishing dinner, I was starving. It felt like I hadn't eaten dinner. I checked my blood sugar. It was 83.

Anyway...so do I just eat every hour or two? Or what should I change so I'm not prowling for food all of the time?

You either needed more fat, carb or protein with dinner. You mainly ate salad. I always make dinner my most robust meal because id I don't, I won't sleep well.

OR

This is a new way of eating. Your body will adjust.

AND, with your final meal being what it was, I would expect you to eat something containing fat as a snack before bed. Dr. Oz has said a tbsp of almond butter before bed works and I found that to be true. Oftentimes I would chase it down with coconut mlk.

Depends on what your definition of eating healthy is. I find that if I eat lean meat + water filled veggies, I'm not full. I need some fullness/fat in there - diced avocado or chickpeas on the salad, a hearty bread, baked sweet potato with rosemary and sea salt, roasted corn.

The balance has to be there. No balance, no satisfy.

Excellent idea. If I am eating slad for dinner, I always add legumes, avacado and.nuts. The fats will carry you.

ETA. As in the meal is a salad.

Edited by Denisemomof4

I think if you're reducing calories intake drastically and/or portions and serving sizes (suddenly eating much less), then you'll probably feel hungry until your body adjusts. I think it matters what you eat, too--if you don't have a decent amount of protein with your meal or snack, you're going to feel hungry again much sooner.

I thought the salmon was the protein and fat, and the dressing had olive oil in it and there were almond slivers in the salad. Maybe I should just make sure I have a serving of carbs like potatoes or pasta. I don't get as hungry if those are included. I don't like chickpeas, legumes, or avocado in salad.

I'm trying but that hunger so soon after eating is tough.

Up the protein and fat. I see basically no protein in your lunch. That will take a toll.

For me, I am hungrier when I eat poorly because the starchy carbs and sugar never fill me up and leave me craving more.

Eat a little more often too. And do something like nuts for a post dinner snack if needed. It takes awhile to adjust to any big diet changes, healthy or nof. It's awesome you started with this. Good luck.

You just need to have a cheeseburger with that lunch and it's all good. (Much more satisfying than using the same calories on cookies and milk.) I require a 'serious' fat most days or I start to feel depleted and peckish. Also, having the biggest meal at lunch seems to help a great deal.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I thought the salmon was the protein and fat, and the dressing had olive oil in it and there were almond slivers in the salad. Maybe I should just make sure I have a serving of carbs like potatoes or pasta. I don't get as hungry if those are included. I don't like chickpeas, legumes, or avocado in salad.

Unless it's whole wheat pasta, I'd nix it. Pasta is too easily digested to keep you feeling full very long. Same with white bread. If you eat bread with salad go for a multigrain one, or even better, make a crostini with goat cheese or a bean paste on top. Even if you don't like beans, there are some recipes out there that are pretty good. I take white beans and puree them with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to make a very light tasting dip/paste that's perfect for a side dish.

I just started cutting waaaay back on sugar and white flour and I discovered I had to bump up my protein and fat to feel full.

Do you mind if I critique your menu?

Breakfast: cut out the grapes add another sausage or two. If I was really hungry, I would add a slice of whole wheat toast. (Read the nutrient label on your bread, choose one that has more grams of fiber than grams of sugar.

Lunch: replace frosted almonds (added sugar) with plain almonds, cut out the dried cranberries (added sugar). Add in some kind of meat, chopped hard boiled egg, avocado, or cheese. Is that crusty bread whole wheat? Whole grains really help me feel fuller.

Snack: I choose from things like: homemade popcorn with salt/no butter, stone ground corn tortilla chips with salsa (no added sugar), 6 triscuit crackers with melted cheese on top, one slice of toasted whole grain bread with natural peanut butter (no sugar added). I know these are carbs, but they are whole grain and filling. I'm not a low carb person so take that into consideration.

I drink a glass of water with those also.

Sorry, no cookies.

Dinner: Put butter or olive oil on the green beans, nix the cranberries, do your salad dressings have sugar in them?

If you make cookies again, use white whole wheat flour and cut back on the sugar, but I would really, really avoid cookies, even if they are homemade.

I've discovered sugar and white flour are evil for me. They start a cycle of cravings. I'm fine with whole grains. They make me need to drink more water, too, which helps to fill me up. Are you drinking anything with sugar in it? Milk and juice are high in natural sugars. I don't drink fruit juices, but I do have milk some time before bed.

I lost 5 lbs. without trying to and there I sit. So I figure 5 of my pounds were from the sugar and white flour. At first I felt ravenous all the time, now my appetite has dropped. I no longer need the toast with breakfast, sometimes I'm not really hungry at all in the morning. I also kept telling myself, "hunger isn't always a bad thing, it lets me know I'm alive and not sick."

Edited by Onceuponatime

I did not find that eating healthier left me hungrier. I do think that switching to organic whole foods helps me to feel more satisfied. Taking a megavitamin reduces those random cravings. Also, I didn't drop dairy and carbs, just gradually upped the proportion of the other stuff. And I drink coffee throughout the day (probably averaging four cups), so that might be a factor as well.

What also might be a factor is you might not have blood sugar issues. I don't know for sure if the OP does, but since she did test her blood sugar that might be the case. I have to be careful to watch carbs because when I eat too many I feel starved. i mean climb the walls desperately starved.

As a person whose diet used to be mostly starches and dairy, and whose favorite foods all fell into those categories, and who didn't/doesn't really enjoy meat or eggs, I would have had a very hard time with a sudden change to low-dairy and low-carb. Obviously I would have done it anyway if I needed to, but you're right, I don't have sugar issues (that I know of).

Speaking of sugar issues, my sister noticed that her sugar went way down after she stopped using a certain drug - I believe it was an anti-depressant. Her doctor did not tell her there was a link between the drug and her sugar levels. Makes me wonder whether others have this factor affecting them.

Your breakfast sounds great. I'd save one of the fruits for the afternoon snack. I'd add oatmeal to that -- up to one cup. I had to get used to eating oatmeal. I didn't like it at all. I started by forcing myself to eat instant, flavored oatmeal every morning (Quaker Oats packets). After a couple of weeks, I began to look forward to it. So I nipped that in the bud by switching to oatmeal made with steel cut oats. After a couple of weeks, I got used to that, too. The big thing was that the oatmeal stopped me from being hungry before lunch.

Your lunch sounds great, too. I may have to invite myself over to your place for meals! :001_smile: To it, I would add either a boiled egg (if I didn't have one at breakfast) or 3 oz. chicken (boneless, skinless). I'd make sure the bread was whole grain (at least 3 gr fiber per serving).

Afternoon snack. A cookie is not filling. Personally, I'd have to have several, along with a glass of milk. That doesn't work for me. I piddled around with having one of those steamer bags of frozen vegetables, but plowing through all those Brussels sprouts was no fun.

Someone here posted about snacks their family eats, and I thought they sounded pretty good. Examples they gave included pepperoni, cheese, and crackers; cheese quesadillas; chicken nuggets with a few grapes, yogurt (probably with something -- I didn't jot that down b/c I don't like yogurt). The points I noticed were that their snacks included protein, which I think helps stave off hunger, and the portions were snack sized.

Your dinner would sound great if I liked fish ... I'd feed to my fish-loving DH, and have, in fact. However, I would add a cup of either beans or brown rice.

Beans are not so bad. I didn't used to eat them except for homemade Southern style baked beans (which are unhealthy, IMO -- at least the way I fix them). Now I add beans to salads and soups, and spread fat-free refried beans on tortillas along with whatever else I put on them.

I limit myself to 2 fruits per day (no juice), 1-2 dairy servings (can't resist a little bit of cheese, plus 1 c. skim milk with whole grain cereal), 3-4 servings of whole grain something, 8-9 servings of vegetables, and 5 oz. of protein (an egg counts as 1 oz.). I rarely eat potatoes. I hated sweet potatoes until I roasted them, and that's what I eat now.

I have abundant energy when I eat healthily, get enough sleep, and take magnesium (500 mg), B-complex, vitamin D (4,000 IU), fish oil, and a multi-vitamin.

Edited by RoughCollie

I have heard...no carbs after noon......but that just does not work for me. I am fine with no or very lo carbs all day....but my dinner has to have some carb to it to carry me through the night....so, I always include some kind of brown rice, rice pasta, potato, sweet potato, beans or some other non gluten carb. It doesn't have to be a large portion, but enough to fill my tummy until morning.

Hth,

Faithe....who has lost and kept off ( I was over 200 lbs on my 5'1" body 12 years ago ) over 80 lbs. it can be done....yes, I eat snacks....just not every day. I exercise, but not like crazy....you can do it too! Oh, it took me almost 3 years to lose 70 lbs....and I have only just lost the last 15 over the past 2 years. I did have 2 babies during my weight loss journey....but kept up eating well and exercising.

I think if you're reducing calories intake drastically and/or portions and serving sizes (suddenly eating much less), then you'll probably feel hungry until your body adjusts. I think it matters what you eat, too--if you don't have a decent amount of protein with your meal or snack, you're going to feel hungry again much sooner.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

It takes a little while for your body to adjust to the sudden decrease in calories. I second adding a little healthy fat into your meals to make you feel more full. Add some avocado or a small handful of raw almonds to your salad.

ETA: Just saw you don't like avocados. Were the almond slivers raw? The salmon does have healthy fat. I think you need to give it a few more days for your stomach to adjust to the new diet. Are you drinking enough water?

In my experience, it takes time to get used to eating lots more fruits and vegetables. And you have to get used to the volume of vegetables needed to be feel statisfied if they comprise a large share of your diet. When I was following (for the most part) the Eat to Live diet, my lunch salad included 8 cups of greens, 2 whole tomatoes, 1 whole green pepper, 1 cup of legumes, 1/2 oz of nuts. It took me 30 minutes to eat it! But boy, did I feel good.

After a couple weeks, I lost the "need to eat." I didn't get that "I'm starving and have to eat something right now or I will lose it" feeling -ever. But the first week was really hard. I felt irritable a lot. My jaws hurt from all the chewing. I gave myself license to eat as many nuts and olives as I wanted to get between meals until I could eat enough calories in vegetables and fruits to satisfy my hunger.

Not much I can add to this, just jumping in to agree with those that said add more protein and some healthy fats in there! The amount of salad you are eating would be a side dish for me. I'd also be having a hefty dose of protein and a cooked veggie w/butter in there. Or adding my hefty dose of protein on top of my salad. Especially for dinner.

I am eating a high protein, mid-fat, low carb diet and I am never hungry; lost 13.8 lbs in the last month...but KEY for me is getting the protein and the fats -- fat helps me stay satisfied. My only carbs come from veggies; no pasta, bread, sugar...

I am not hungry all the time with healthy eating.

You need more healthy fat: nuts, olive oil, avocados. Really low fat diets aren't good for you. Keep up all the fruits and veges.

I would also increase the protein if you are hungry.

I would not eat a choc chip cookie as a snack. If you are going to eat sugar and bad fat, at least eat it after a meal. If you like chocolate, substitute 1 oz of dark chocolate when you want a treat. It has relatively low sugar,and fat is not too bad. Moreover, it is healthy. But still, eat after a meal.

Substitute a snack that combines protein, fat, and a fruit or vege: hummus and veges, a handful of nuts and an apple, apple or banana dipped in peanut butter, etc.

I thought the salmon was the protein and fat, and the dressing had olive oil in it and there were almond slivers in the salad.

That's all true but I would increase the serving size of salmon, the amount of olive oil, or nuts. Experiment until you do feel full.

When you feel hungry after a meal, eat protein. My go-to is either a piece of chicken breast or egg white if I feel I don't have any room left for fats that day. The protein won't increase your blood sugar .

In the beginning, yes. When I first started eating RAW I was hungry all. the. time. I wouldn't leave the house without an "emergency banana." Eventually, my body leveled off and I was eating a little more normally again. However, you need to understand that healthy foods like raw fruits and vegetables go through you much quicker than denser foods. It takes way more to fill you up. A 2 1/2 C. salad is SO not enough if that's the bulk of your meal. It is not unusual for me to sit down and eat 5 - 6 apples for breakfast, an entire cantaloupe or a whole HEAD of lettuce made into a salad. Don't limit yourself on the raw fruits and veggies.

Edited by contessa20

Guest submarines
I just started cutting waaaay back on sugar and white flour and I discovered I had to bump up my protein and fat to feel full.

Do you mind if I critique your menu?

Breakfast: cut out the grapes add another sausage or two. If I was really hungry, I would add a slice of whole wheat toast. (Read the nutrient label on your bread, choose one that has more grams of fiber than grams of sugar.

Lunch: replace frosted almonds (added sugar) with plain almonds, cut out the dried cranberries (added sugar). Add in some kind of meat, chopped hard boiled egg, avocado, or cheese. Is that crusty bread whole wheat? Whole grains really help me feel fuller.

Snack: I choose from things like: homemade popcorn with salt/no butter, stone ground corn tortilla chips with salsa (no added sugar), 6 triscuit crackers with melted cheese on top, one slice of toasted whole grain bread with natural peanut butter (no sugar added). I know these are carbs, but they are whole grain and filling. I'm not a low carb person so take that into consideration.

I drink a glass of water with those also.

Sorry, no cookies.

Dinner: Put butter or olive oil on the green beans, nix the cranberries, do your salad dressings have sugar in them?

If you make cookies again, use white whole wheat flour and cut back on the sugar, but I would really, really avoid cookies, even if they are homemade.

I've discovered sugar and white flour are evil for me. They start a cycle of cravings. I'm fine with whole grains. They make me need to drink more water, too, which helps to fill me up. Are you drinking anything with sugar in it? Milk and juice are high in natural sugars. I don't drink fruit juices, but I do have milk some time before bed.

I lost 5 lbs. without trying to and there I sit. So I figure 5 of my pounds were from the sugar and white flour. At first I felt ravenous all the time, now my appetite has dropped. I no longer need the toast with breakfast, sometimes I'm not really hungry at all in the morning. I also kept telling myself, "hunger isn't always a bad thing, it lets me know I'm alive and not sick."

:iagree:Excellent critique. I`d ditch even whole grains / carbs for the first 4-6 weeks.

I agree that those cookies and hidden sugars (milk, cranberries etc) are likely making the OP hungrier.

I need fat. Lots of fat. Not even tons of protein, though I do eat enough. Tonight I ate a salad in a bowl 10 inches in diameter and ate the whole thing myself. I put some tuna in it, and loads of greens, diced carrots, broccoli, tomato, mushroom, etc. I DOUSED it in EVOO, white balsamic, salt and pepper. Oh and some grated pecorino.

Then I drank my hot nightly late. Yes I drink coffee at night. It doesn't do a darned thing for me but satisfy my craving for something and I can't figure out what it is.

If I eat carby, I'm just annoyed and unsatisfied. It's not like actual hunger, it's needing something and I don't know what. I hate that.

I did better today and didn't get as intensely hungry. I did have to eat a snack. I'll have to get over my intense dislike for eating more than 3 times a day.

Oh yeah another thing. A DEAR posted sometime about psyllium husk seed powder. I do a tsp in a smoothie the first time I'm hungry. I swear I have to force myself to eat anytime after. It really does the trick and helps with my bad digestion.

You may find that once your body gets used to the good changes, you will feel full and more satisfied. You do need more good fats and protein.

Also, some people have smaller stomachs, others need more to feel full IMHO. I cannot eat as much as some of my female friends but I feel satisfied. You may just need a little more. As long as it is good food and you stop when you are full, your body will use it.

I need fat. Lots of fat. Not even tons of protein, though I do eat enough. Tonight I ate a salad in a bowl 10 inches in diameter and ate the whole thing myself. I put some tuna in it, and loads of greens, diced carrots, broccoli, tomato, mushroom, etc. I DOUSED it in EVOO, white balsamic, salt and pepper. Oh and some grated pecorino.

Then I drank my hot nightly late. Yes I drink coffee at night. It doesn't do a darned thing for me but satisfy my craving for something and I can't figure out what it is.

If I eat carby, I'm just annoyed and unsatisfied. It's not like actual hunger, it's needing something and I don't know what. I hate that.

I'm like this too, except I probably don't eat enough protein. I try to eat a lot of fat (mostly avo & EVOO, with some hard cheeses) and fiber. I also drink all day long (water, coffee, Earl Grey tea, peppermint tea, skim milk, hot water, lemon water.) My go-to snack is Grape Nuts cereal with skim milk and a little honey. It doesn't take much to fill you up (maybe 1/2 c. Grape Nuts.)

I did better today and didn't get as intensely hungry. I did have to eat a snack. I'll have to get over my intense dislike for eating more than 3 times a day.

Yep, you need to get over that. :001_smile: Eat when you're hungry, not how frequently the clock or society tells you you're supposed to eat.

Your body will adjust over time. :grouphug:

I changed my entire diet and it took a while for me to adjust, but now I would be stuffed eating that much.

Someone mentioned eating until I was 75% full vs. 100%; it was crazy sounding to me, but got me over the hill.

I need fat. Lots of fat.

Me too, and I love it. My body can take in a LOT more calories and maintain weight when I eat lots of fat (and pretty much no carbs except green veggies.)

I think each person has to find what works for them- you have a lot of ideas here! And good for you checking your blood sugar. I figured out that eating high fat works for me by checking my blood sugar regularly.

Guest submarines
Eating healthier does not equal being hungry. HOWEVER, losing weight usually involves feeling hungry at some point.

Depends on your dieting approach. Low calorie diets will make one hungry. Low carb / high protein, high fat diets don't leave one hungry, yet are very effective for weight loss.

One of the biggest changes to make when you cut out white carbs and sugars is the understanding that fat is good for you-and that you can eat more food.

We've been programed to believe eat less/fat is bad. You really have to break away from that if you're going to do low carb, and like it.

You are low carb in that day, but you skimped on the fat. I have never, ever, been hungry eating low carb. Eat 4 eggs. Eat a few slices of bacon, or a few pieces of sausage. Eat some cheese.

Last night I ate an enormous salad, with grilled chicken on it, and I made a dressing out of bacon, balsamic vinegar, and EVOO (tossed it all in a mason jar and attacked it with a stick blender). LIke Lisa, my salad was huge, and like Lisa, I need lots of fat-esp to keep the weight off. I sautéed candy onions in a whole stick of butter, and served them on the chicken. My salad was doused, too.

Depends on your dieting approach. Low calorie diets will make one hungry. Low carb / high protein, high fat diets don't leave one hungry, yet are very effective for weight loss.

:iagree: I don't go hungry to lose weight, I refuse! I originally lost weight 10+ yrs ago and have lost all my weight after each baby as well. I don't stuff myself but if I feel hungry I eat.

Eating healthier does not equal being hungry. HOWEVER, losing weight usually involves feeling hungry at some point.

Not true for me. When I went Raw Vegan I was always hungry but I always ate to satisfy that hunger. I didn't let myself feel starved all the time. I ate all. the. time. ENORMOUS amounts of food. :) I lost 60 lbs. in about 6 months.

I disagree. I have recently started going low (very low) carb and added quite a lot of fat to my diet. I spent years eating the "healthy" way, and found myself tired, sore from working out, and heavier then I had ever been. Since adding fat and cutting carbs, my weight is coming off. I have more energy, and I am recovering really well from my workouts. Also, I am never hungry. I think the added fat is helping to sustain me between meals. ( I hated having to eat every few hours. I have no time for that.)

:) Beachy

I haven't read all the responses. But my experience is that I am hungry at the beginning because I am craving the unhealthy foods, the stress snacking, etc. But after a few weeks, the cravings subside and I am not hungry even though I'm eating less food than before. Part of the equation is to make sure you're getting enough protein and healthy fats. Also, try to eat more veggies than fruits, because the sugar in fruit causes people to continue to crave sweets.