Menu

Why oh why?

Do you have one of those nasal bulb sucker thingies they give you at the hospital when you have a baby? I used mine quite a few times over the years to remove a variety of foreign objects from nostrils (red hot, lego, macaroni noodle - to name a few)

If you can get the child to blow at the same time as using the sucker bulb, it works much better.

My 2 year old started crying once and I KNEW something was up there, as she started sneezing and she never sneezes. Sure enough, as we were grabbing shoes to go to the doctor (she also doesn't usually cry, and she was panicked), a piece of stick appeared at the end. i was able to grab and pull, and it was a 1/2 inch stick, a sliver of mulch. OW.

:grouphug: -- my friend's daughter shoved a Tic Tac up her nose.

Tic tacs aren't so bad. They'll eventually dissolve. :lol:

I don't know why kids do that. My toddler put a black bean, uncooked, up his nose just last week. Even told me after he did it. :glare: Unfortunately, when we failed to get it out (even attempted employing a shop vac), we took him to the DR because we were afraid it would swell up if left too long. Why couldn't he have done something that dissolves like your friend's daughter? Then all would have been well.

True...:tongue_smilie: But it was Peppermint and the little girl kept saying, "My nose is hot!" It must have burned...I really can't imagine.

:lol: This probably isn't funny, but it is. Ya know what I mean?;) Bet she thought twice before trying that again. Of course, for some kids this would be a good science hypothesis: "Will all tic tacs dissolve in your nose and burn while doing so?"

We dealt with this when dd was little, only it was raisins she stuck up there.

We were on the way to the hospital when she sneezed and out it came.

So my suggestion? Stick a tray of pepper under her nose, have her look at a bright light, etc. Get her to sneeze :)

I got a pea or corn stuck in a nostril when I was about four. I totally deserved it because my brother and I were sticking them up our noses and blowing them out into our soup. I did have to go to the doctor to get it removed but only after all our neighbors had a go at it. I have interesting memories of lying down with all different faces over me and finally the doctor with the tools and the bright light on his head.

Thanks for the sympathy. We can't get it out. We've tried all your suggestions (the straw - great idea by the way!, the mouth to mouth etc etc). Now he just won't even engage with us and is screaming when we try anything.

It's night here and he's fallen asleep. I'm planning on trying to suck it out again whilst he's sleeping, but at the moment it looks as though we have a trip to the doctor on the cards tomorrow. :glare:

I won't bore you with all the other toddler delights this little one dreamed up today. Suffice to say this is not the first crisis of the day............

My son stuck a (raw) bean up there. Twice. Once I got him to blow when the other nostril was covered. The other time I put in a drop of either some nose spray or saline eye drops to lubricate.

When I was a kid, I put a vitamin c tablet up my nose, and after hours, it finally melted out, in the doctor's waiting room. So I sort of figured I deserved it.

Let us know what happens.

Tic tacs aren't so bad. They'll eventually dissolve. :lol:

I don't know why kids do that. My toddler put a black bean, uncooked, up his nose just last week. Even told me after he did it. :glare: Unfortunately, when we failed to get it out (even attempted employing a shop vac), we took him to the DR because we were afraid it would swell up if left too long. Why couldn't he have done something that dissolves like your friend's daughter? Then all would have been well.

Yeah, beans are bad. My granddad's friend died back in the 30s from shoving uncooked beans up his nose. They swelled up and cut off his air. This was in Appalachia in the Depression, so there was no medical care to speak of. I've pulled any number of things from my kids' noses. Why? :confused:

We got it out :party:

At 4.30 in the morning! Neither DH or I could sleep and we kept getting up to pick at it. In the end I held him down (he was still mostly asleep) and DH picked it out with a pair of tweezers. If we'd taken him to the doctor I'm sure he would have needed sedation.

At 4.30 in the morning! Neither DH or I could sleep and we kept getting up to pick at it. In the end I held him down (he was still mostly asleep) and DH picked it out with a pair of tweezers. If we'd taken him to the doctor I'm sure he would have needed sedation.

:lol: Yeah, baby! Good job!

Thank goodness it's out!

That's the method I used on ds. He had a lightbrite toy bulb thing (like a small christmas tree light) in his nose and kept crying and pushing it further in.