Menu

How much money does using a clothesline save, assuming 10 loads a week?

How much do you pay per kilowatt hour? How many kilowatt hours on average does it take to dry a load in the dryer? Times that by 10. Times that answer by how much you pay per hour.

So 4 hours to dry a load, times 10 loads is 40 hours times $5 per hour is $200.

Yes, that is a rather crappy drying time.

Edited by Parrothead

well, you could go to radioshack and get a meter to monitor how much electricity the dryer uses and then do the math. Or you could turn all the other circuits in the house off except the one the dryer is on, unplug everything else, turn it on and watch your electric meter, if it's in a place you can reach it.

But there may be costs you're not considering - for example, colors fade a lot faster if you dry them in the sun. This makes whites whiter and last longer, but colored clothes look faded very quickly. Replacing clothes faster could be an unpredictable expense.

I line dry year round, in and out, and when I first started five years ago, we had a $30 drop in our electric bill that month. I've never done the math beyond that. I find the rhythn and ritual of hanging and folding laundry soothing, so I do it as much for that as the savings. :tongue_smilie:

I've never noticed any fading from line drying outside.

ETA: At the time I started, there were only three of us, and I did 8-10 loads per week including diapers.

When we stopped using our dryer about 7 years (and quite a few family members) ago our monthly bill dropped by $25. I imagine we save a lot more than that now. ;) My dh bought a retractable clothesline for our bathroom, bedroom and garage/schoolroom so I can hang everything inside. I love this because it puts much needed humidity in our house and makes it smell so fresh and clean! The only things I use the dryer for are whites, towels and jeans.

Kill-A-Watt is the device you can use to monitor how much energy any electrical device uses. Some libraries have them for lending, but they can be found at Radio Shack, too.

You can find the cost per kilowatt hour on your electric bill.

When we first moved to the UK we had no dryer and no outdoor place to hang things. I have some great drying racks from IKEA. Even though I have I dryer now I still hang most things on my racks until almost dry. Pop them in the dryer and dry soft towels!

We wear near exclusively cotton. I shake them good before hanging and my washer is HE so it gets out almost all the water, they aren't wrinkled. Now, if someone else hangs them ie dh, they might get wrinkled but knit doesn't stay that way long. I very rarely, iron(I have one skirt that I adore but is prone to wrinkling in the dryer or on the line). I hang dry pretty much all my clothes, I dried one in the dryer the other day and it was the first in months.

Not sure of the answer for you, but when we lived in Louisiana I hand washed dishes and hung laundry and my electricity bill went down about $100. We were an all electric house with a well. We also had a front loading machine.

For your question, the variables are numerous. Gas/electric, high humid area/low, price of gas/electric, towels/jeans verses sheets....

I just wonder how people manage not to have super wrinkled clothes that way. I hate ironing!

Shake them out well before hanging, and hang straight. I only wear cotton and I never iron.

There are some things that I hang indoors in case of pigeons sitting on the line! Particularly nice or easily-stained clothes usually.

Laura

i tried to calculate the cost benefit a few years ago when we lived in a different house. it seemed to save nothing and I was seriously bummed! in our current home, i haven't run the numbers. i just assume i *must* be saving some money even if i'm burning time by hanging them.

i will also add that i've found that by placing two dry towels in my dryer (and leaving them there permanently!) that my dryer time EASILY gets cut in half if not more (for when i do use the dryer) and there are no negative effects of drying with a towel that i have observed (many people would say certain clothing shouldn't be laundered/dried with something textured like a towel, but if i have a concern like that, i don't dry that item in the dryer anyway).

IIRC I was reading last week or so that a load of laundry costs about 60c to dry assuming 10c per kwH.

Aaacckk. Our costs are closer to 20c/KwH. On our bill, I have to average the total cost divided by the number of KwHs in order to get a true sense of the cost. Here in Ontario we pay for the actual hydro, transportation costs, a debt retirement fee :glare: and taxes. They are really trying to obsure the real costs. Besides the cost of the actual hydro, there's the depreciation on your dryer. To figure that, you need to take the cost, divide be the number of years you think it will last and then by the number of loads per year. It's not a big amount per load, but it's a real cost.

ETA I usually figure I save about $1 per load, but that's before time of use metering. It's likely slightly more here. I like round numbers so that's just approximate.