Menu

Please vote: Stainless or white appliances in my kitchen!

White or stainless appliances?  

1. 1. White or stainless appliances?

• Keep the white
    • Switch to stainless
    • Other (please explain!)

We currently have white and have the opportunity to switch out for stainless of similar age/quality. We would be switching everything, fridge, range, microwave, dishwasher. (Our tenants just moved out of a rental house.)

Maintaining the stainless is a non-issue. We lived with it happily in the old house.

We'll be putting in a mosaic tile above the backsplash once we decide. I've never lived in a kitchen where the appliances are so OUT THERE and visible, not partially blocked by an island, or afforded only a side view in a galley kitchen.

White pros: kitchen looks lighter (although it's pretty light already); no hassle of moving appliances.

White cons: dated? Or is white coming back?

Stainless pros: the stainless has black accents that match our kitchen set, which matches the tables in the family room (where I was standing when I took photo); all kitchen hardware/faucet/light fixtures are stainless.

Stainless cons: too dark? Might be more of a draw in current rental.

Will you help me decide, or possibly make comments that will sway me either way?

post-39326-1353508717952_thumb.jpg

I personally like the look of stainless much more than white. If this is for YOU I would do it, if it is for a rental, I would worry about scratches from the tenants.

We have all stainless.

Dawn

:iagree: i am not a fan of white AT ALL. I liked black but went with stainless when we remodeled our kitchen. I wasn't sure if I would get used to it, but I *LOVE* it.

Pretty kitchen, btw. It will look beautiful with a tile backsplash. I almost chose not to have one. So glad I changed my mind!

White is classic and will never go out of style. Your kitchen is lovely! Yes, I think stainless would darken it too much.

I personally don't want people focusing on the appliances in my kitchen, as I have decor that says more about me than my appliances could ever hope to. :D I am pretty ambivalent about stainless and find it borderline pretentious the way people just have to have it these days. I also (not so) secretly hope stainless appliances are a fad and will eventually suffer the same fate as the avocado green of my youth. Hmmm. Maybe I'm not ambivalent after all. :tongue_smilie:

I personally like the look of stainless much more than white. If this is for YOU I would do it, if it is for a rental, I would worry about scratches from the tenants.

Yes, this is our kitchen, currently with the white. We'd take the stainless from the rental and switch. The rental is a nice house; it's our "old" house that we don't think we can sell. We want to get as much rent as possible from it, because we're not making money on the rental income. The kitchen counters/backsplash are darker in the rental, and the stainless looks really good there.

I think the white looks great in that kitchen. I absolutely detest stainless, and every time I see a kitchen with all stainless, I feel like I'm in the bathroom at Target. (our old target had stainless everywhere except the floor- wall, ceiling tiles ,sinks, stalls,... Ick)

Yes, this is our kitchen, currently with the white. We'd take the stainless from the rental and switch. The rental is a nice house; it's our "old" house that we don't think we can sell. We want to get as much rent as possible from it, because we're not making money on the rental income. The kitchen counters/backsplash are darker in the rental, and the stainless looks really good there.

I would definitely take the stainless out of the rental. White can take a beating but stainless can't.

I would definitely take the stainless out of the rental. White can take a beating but stainless can't.

When we were shopping for new dishwashers, I was convinced I wanted to go stainless. Then as I looked down the two isles of stainless dishwashers, all I saw were marks and fingerprints. I wondered why at least for selling sake, they did not polish them LOL.

I went with white. BTW you can look for white /black with stainless accents. My range is white, but has those really long modern stainless pulls.

I'm not a huge fan of stainless, but I voted for it because I think it would look better in that particular kitchen than the white.

:iagree:

In this kitchen, stainless would look awesome. You have good lighting and it looks like you get good natural light as well.

We have newer stainless here with touches of black, light cabinets and brownish counters and it looks great. I have a dining set now that is also dark.

I have been replacing the stainless in our house. I hate constantly fighting to keep it clean. I like the easy wipe of the white finish. Plus, I like my refrigerator magnets. Oh! You could keep the white appliances and cover them with stainless steel magnets!

We have white cabinets in our kitchen and we began replacing our white appliances with stainless steel as they've begun to die....

Honestly, there's a lot of black on the stainless appliances and it gives our kitchen a heavy feeling. :tongue_smilie: I keep wondering why I didn't choose white.

Fingerprints haven't been a problem, though. Occasionally, I will put a drop of olive oil on a cloth and wipe them down. Just that little bit of oil keeps fingerprints from showing and I don't have to buy a "special product."

I think that if your renter would feel nice having stainless steel, then let the renters enjoy it. If you like white, then enjoy your white. Just think of the joy you'd get out of making somebody else's day. :001_smile: