Menu

What are some of your family's "sayings"?

My grits are going to be gone before I get any bacon.

These words were spoken by dd15 while waiting for the bacon to come out of the oven (she likes to crumble up the bacon in the grits). Whenever someone at our house says something along these lines, someone else pipes up with, "That sounds like a country/western song."

Our other saying, quite similar, is, "That's a good title for a book."

What are the silly things y'all say just for laughs? I'm thinking "non-movie" related, but if that is all you have, I'll take it :).

"That's going to leave a mark!"

Usually said when someone checked real good in taekwondo practice. ;)

Oh, and another one, "Butter Toast!"

We've been saying it for years, because when my son was small he would try to say "but of course," except it came out as "butter toast." We've been using it every since. :smilielol5:

My grits are going to be gone before I get any bacon.

These words were spoken by dd15 while waiting for the bacon to come out of the oven (she likes to crumble up the bacon in the grits). Whenever someone at our house says something along these lines, someone else pipes up with, "That sounds like a country/western song."

Our other saying, quite similar, is, "That's a good title for a book."

What are the silly things y'all say just for laughs? I'm thinking "non-movie" related, but if that is all you have, I'll take it :).

"That was fun, and now you're done."

Often spoken through gritted teeth, though I try not to show it.

I say it so often that the family says this is going on my headstone when I die.

"You need to do a check up from the neck up." It's good in a variety of situations--smart mouths, making a ridiculous request, forgetting things, etc. It provides a little comic relief. :001_smile:

I'm so going to have to remember this one! :D

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- from The Princess Bride, of course. Used for all sorts of things. Today, I used it on 6y/o the second time she complained of being hungry not 15 minutes after getting up from the table.

"Can't died and we buried him yesterday." This is dh's, and I hate it.

"That's an awfully strong emotion to waste on an inanimate object." -- spoken by me when my children complain that they hate something.

"Sounds like a personal problem to me."

(for whining or complaints)

"I'm hanging the moose!"

(when you are already doing what is asked of you, a Fawlty Towers reference)

"What do you think this is, a fresh air school?"

(a general use phrase, from my dh's grandmother--probably had to do with leaving the door open, but now expresses general disbelief/amused disapproval/whatever)

Not so much sayings but adjectives....

Monkishness - a polite euphemisim for someone's reticence about touching things they percieve to be dirty. Based on the tv show "Monk". This morning I was surprised to see on this board monkishness about used books. People wipe them down! Who knew? Maybe I was raised in a sty?

"Let's cuddle" - Said when there is no intention of cuddling. This started with someone remarking about the gullibility of girls who believe boys who say, "It's okay, we'll just cuddle"

Corporate - Used as an adjective instead of "perfunctory. Corporate accomodations, desks, art, bathrooms, cubicles are very unexciting and standard, emotionaless, and without sincerity. Whatever you get it's not meant to be personal and is just like everyone else's. "Can I have my corporate hug before you go?"

Good at turning silk purses into silk purses - phrase I use to describe superficially promising programs whose success is more attributable to the characteristics of the participants than the program itself.

We say these with a deep exaggerated Southern accent:

Go on git! This started as a command I wanted the dog to be trained to respond to appropriately and now we jokingly use it with each other.

Hey y'all watch this!

Honkytonkbadonkadonk Because these are the funniest fighting words I've ever heard. I don't know how someone can manage those syllables with a straight face much less get so angry as to start a fight Now Big John McCarthy can use this phrase instead of "Let's git it ooon" when signaling the beginning of a match in ultimate fighting.

From Well-Trained Mind we've picked up on the use of the words "box-checking" for subjects that we feel compelled to do but secretly don't want to put a lot of effort into. "Let's just box-check history this year." Somebody else used the word "bubble people" in regards to the cartoon characters in the Singapore math books and I use it all the time with my kids now...it's morphed into "What would a bubble person do?" Also, "I singapored my way through it" to refer to solving any sort of problem using brute intellect and patience in math, or real life, for which there was no standard algorithm/solution known. Someone used that once on this board and it really caught on. Example, "I had to singapore my way through that ipod software."

I want ..... to shine like the top of the chrysler building ( before the pigions poop on it) I used to say this all the time ( still do) when my ds 8 at the time made the last commit about that the pigion poop. It has stuck.

Annmarie

"Are you smellin' what I'm steppin' in?" meaning, "KWIM"?

and we've been saying it ever since. Sometimes I switch it up and say "Are you steppin' in what I'm smellin'?"

I know. We're classy folks out here in the wilds of western NY! :001_rolleyes:

Jen

Our saying is: Our family works because we work together. Hardly a day goes by that someone doesn't have that said to them.

We use "Front and center!!!" too, and 14 feet come running. Works great. ;)

This reminds me of when I was a child. My dad was a Naval officer and used to call us together by shouting, "Muster on the quarterdeck!" It was always said in fun.

These are fun!

When my oldest dd was little I tried to get her to sing on tune...she is very tone death..I tired to get her to match my pitch and she turned to me and said, "What!!! Don't you think I know how do It?" So now we all say that to each other especially if someone is trying to put something off until later.

We also say "I have work that ye know not of" kind of a spin off from a saying from Jesus.

"When you're good to Mama, Mama's good to you" from the musical Chicago. That's from my parenting theme song. For a while I would play the song whenever the kids wanted something from me.

I'm you're mother- I brought you into this world, I can take you out.

Dd came up with a comeback- I don't need you, mom- I can get new parents. That's what foster parents are for...

Really- we're just joking! We're a very loving family, just rather full of sarcasm.

When ds was about 4yo, I said "I love you soooo much", and he said he loved me "a thousand sixty two". When I asked him what he meant, and he said that 1062 was the biggest number he could think of. So, ever since, ds and I say "a thousand sixty two to you" for "I love you".

For dd9 I say "did I tell you I LOVE YOU yet today?" and she always responds "yes, because you just said it!:D"

Dh and I don't have a special 'saying' but we always threaten to kill each other off for the life insurance. We were even joking about it when we we were with our insurance agent and bought our life insurance and made sure (jokingly) that our policy would cover an "accidental" death, like running into a frying pan :).

"suck it up" when the kids get hurt doing something they were warned about or if someone is overreacting.

"sucks to be you" said jokingly, when someone has to do something they don't want to do.

For cryin' out loud in a bucket...one of my dad's favorite sayings when things weren't going well during a card game. Not sure where it came from or exactly what it means...but we all still say it!

One of us will be alive at the end of the day...and it's gonna be ME. Borrowed from my bf...useful for those not-so-great homeschool days.

One's my parent's used to say (that I said I would never say to my children-but have at least one million times) are:

"Now, stick that in your pipe and smoke it"...said when child's opinion really doesn't count

"How 'bout them apples?"

"You can get glad in the same pants you got mad in!"

My cousin used to exclaim "Scat cat, get your tail out of the gravy!" for what purpose I'm not sure, but was still pretty cute.

Personally, I say to my dh "It's a good thing I have you to tie my shoes". Taken from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" whenever he is trying to "fix" my problems I just want to vent about. He likes that one!

"You need to do a check up from the neck up." It's good in a variety of situations--smart mouths, making a ridiculous request, forgetting things, etc. It provides a little comic relief. :001_smile:

"Are you sassin' me?" for the exact usage as Mamabegood's quote here. Also a twist from a line in Veggie Tales Esther movie "Are you shhshing me?"

"Get over it." "Guess you'll have to just suck it up." For the whining/complaining attitudes ~ always gets a little chuckle from the offender.

As someone else mentioned, we use a lot of dc's words from when they were first learning to talk. We love keeping that alive!

Very fun post, btw!

During chores, the refrain is often heard, "Poor work makes more work!"

Once I was getting my haircut at a friend's home salon when her 4yo walked into the salon looking for her big (teenage) sister. Her mom told her, "Honey, I haven't seen her. Why don't you look upstairs?" The little girl looked shocked and replied, "All that looong looong way?" So now we tease, "What, all that loooong loooong way?" whenever someone looks daunted.

Whenever something good happens to one child but doesn't for another, and this gets questioned, I say, "Because obviously she's/he's my favorite child!"

When we make silly mistakes, we say "You failed! You failed! The finger of scorn is pointing at you!" This came from my husband and I don't know where he got it. Not to be used on 4yo's.

And did I mention that now we all say, "Dissssasster!" (from the Happy Slip videos.)

Oh and I forgot: Nobody likes perfect people.

During chores, the refrain is often heard, "Poor work makes more work!"

Once I was getting my haircut at a friend's home salon when her 4yo walked into the salon looking for her big (teenage) sister. Her mom told her, "Honey, I haven't seen her. Why don't you look upstairs?" The little girl looked shocked and replied, "All that looong looong way?" So now we tease, "What, all that loooong loooong way?" whenever someone looks daunted.

Whenever something good happens to one child but doesn't for another, and this gets questioned, I say, "Because obviously she's/he's my favorite child!"

When we make silly mistakes, we say "You failed! You failed! The finger of scorn is pointing at you!" This came from my husband and I don't know where he got it. Not to be used on 4yo's.

And did I mention that now we all say, "Dissssasster!" (from the Happy Slip videos.)

Oh and I forgot: Nobody likes perfect people.

Natalieclaire,

I love "Poor work makes more work" - we're going to be using that around here and soon :). And I'm so excited to find a Happy Slip video fan - I've posted here about them, but no one seems the least bit interested :confused:. Oh, and I call my kids "kidlets" too. Wow, what a way to start my day!

My mom used to always say:

When you fall and break your leg, don't come running to me!

Other than that, we mostly break into song that runs with the same sort of mood, subject, whatever.

Now with my own family... dh's favorite is "Let's kick it." to mean get going and also "Cut bait or fish" to mean just do something already!

Some of ours:

"He's a cheeseburger short of a Happy Meal"

"If you get expelled in homeschooling, where do you go?"

"There's one of those socialized ps students" (I know this is kinda mean, but your dc's start picking up on the socialization questions when they get the age of my older two.) This usually gets said at baseball practice.

and our favorite right now, "TTYL" every night before bed, followed by the question we ask each other, "So, where did you see God today?"

"Pull your pants up snoop-droopy-drawers."

"Shake me up, Judy." (inside joke from the movie Bleak House. :D)

"When mama ain't happy, ain't noooobody happy!" (My particular fav...I probably use it DAILY! :lol: ;))

"Care for a little cheese with that whine?" (kids HATE this one...absolutely hate it...which is of course why I use it so often.:w00t:)

"I can't understand a word yur sayin'" (said like the old man on Napoleon Dynamite...makes me laugh hysterically every. single. time. Even NOW! It's like a magic giggle spell someone has cast upon me...:001_huh::lol:)

"lets blow this pop stand."

I am sure there are more, so...

"I'll be back" (ala Arnold)

"When mama ain't happy, ain't noooobody happy!"

"Care for a little cheese with that whine?"

We use both of these, as well as...

"Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades" (from my Military father)

"She's a sandwich short of a picnic"

"Pugtona" (We started this when our pug would tuck his tail down and run all over the house.)

"Ankle biter, nose miner, curtain climber"

"Lollygaggin" (as in...quit your lollygaggin and get a move on"