Menu

VBS - Do you think it's worth it?

My kids just had a fabulous time helping out a local church with their VBS. Today I sat in the audience cute moms and dads as they watched their kids sing and do hand motions to cute songs about Jesus. I'm looking at these amazing volunteers, the women who direct the whole shebang, and I'm SO grateful for all they pour out, but I found myself wondering "Is it worth it?" I'd really love to think it is. Do you have stories to tell of how you or your kids were deeply impacted by VBS? Or do you have these questions too?

I think it depends on the goal. If it is to give the congregation's children a sweet/fun memory of childhood, then yes. I don't think it does the job any more as a form of outreach and evangelism.

This is my impression as well. In the VBS programs I have helped with, the children are almost all from families who attend church.

ETA: VBS is one of the highlights of the year for my girls. They spend all year singing songs from previous VBS programs.

I think it depends on the goal. If it is to give the congregation's children a sweet/fun memory of childhood, then yes. I don't think it does the job any more as a form of outreach and evangelism. Yes, I have these questions, and many more.

I agree. I used to love VBS but have come to the pont where I really wish all that energy and effort were directed at those with true needs. What could that bunch of teens and moms done around the homes of a few senior citizens or single moms for that same amount of energy and money? With a simple devotional time, spiritual challenge and praise song time tagged on? That's where my mind goes these days. And curiously enough, just last week I heard a similar sentiment come out of the mouth of a teen at my church. Maybe there's change in the wind. Personally, I hope so.

considering that each years' VBS usually results in one or two new families in the church and a couple professions (these professions actually seem genuine, in that the children continue attending afterward. Generally our youth workers wait for a few weeks with very small children to make sure that they are fully aware of what they are doing and not just caught up in the moment.) each year. VBS is a HUGE deal at our church, but I believe that it is worth it. So much of it depends on how your church uses VBS. Our church wants to give the church kids a good time and teach them some biblical knowledge. But more than that, each and every night the youth pastor shares the plan of salvation, why they need it, and how it came about. (1. everybody's done wrong. 2. there's only one man who never did anything wrong-Jesus 3. Jesus to the punishment for our sins so that we don't have to have it 4. If you trust in his sacrifice, and ask him to take your sin away, you don't have to have the punishment for sin!) He does this so routinely, that I'd bet that all my kids but my 4 yo can give that succinct plan of salvation, even though they've all made a profession. When you multiply that times 200 kids, and 200 kids know how to tell someone about Jesus, that is a pretty big deal.

I have the same questions. We were out of town during our church's VBS this year but have volunteered for several years before that. It is a HUGE amount of time and effort. I know my kids have loved it but like others mentioned the majority of people that come are from our church. I hesitate to say it's not worth it though as you never know what seed may be planted in a young visitor, and we do have some visitors.

We do a CEF day camp at our church. Similar to VBS in a lot of ways. Many of our church kids come but so do those not associated with our church. A day-care brings a van load of kids each day. Usually, these are the ones we have the most behavior trouble with, not surprisingly. Anyway, one of the little girls from the daycare showed up at our Wednesday night kids' program. Who knows, being exposed to one week of day camp may bring a family to Christ. I'd say, at this point, it's worth it.

We had over 200 kids in attandance at our church's VBS last month. It was a huge undertaking (just over 100 volunteers to make it happen) and several thousand dollars were spent to make it as terrific as possible.

In the past, I also wondered if it was all worth it. I have finally decided that yes, it is worth it. In general, it helps kids to see that faith and religion don't have to be dull or boring. It helps to cement some basic religious concepts. And in some cases, it can really help specific kids.

I can think of 3 examples. First, a young girl came who had lost her mother to cancer a few months earlier. It was her first social event since her mother's passing. The child told someone that she wanted to come and "learn to have fun again". Second, a young boy with mild autism was in my art room. He seemed to have a great time and even spoke up with the other kids to answer questions. He later asked me if he could have my VBS button (cheap plastic pin-on with VBS characters on it), and I promised to save it for him. When I gave it to him a week later, he was able to say thank you. His mother was elated and said that he showed more interaction and greater comprehension of what was going on than she had ever seen before. And third, a young boy who had had multiple surgeries came to our VBS with only 1 week to go until the Drs. removed his current cast. Unfortunately at the checkup, the Dr. said he needed to keep it on for 4 more weeks. The boy paused and then said to his mother the VBS theme statement, "No matter what, trust God.". (He did get the cast off finally, just this week!)

So yes, I would have to say that it was worth all the work, time, and money that went into it. Children's lives were positively touched and they grew in their faith.

We had 40 new professions of faith as a result of the VBS, however we recognize that only God can determine how sincere they were, since the kids were young. We imagine that some will hold strong to their new faith, others will struggle and not fully "get it" until they are older, and some probably professed only for the sake of getting attention. Doesn't matter, we welcome and care for each and every one of them!

It was interesting to me that two weeks after VBS, we got hit by the eastern land hurricane and lost power for 6 days. At our tiny, impromptu, hot, stuffy church service that was held during that time, the preacher reminded us adults that now was the time to live out what we had been teaching the kids - no matter what, trust God! It was a great reminder not to be hypocritical about it.

Edited by hillfarm

Both of my teens did an outreach ministry with others from our church by putting on a VBS at a small church about 3 hours away. I think only 25 kids attended, but my dd said that one boy in her group accepted the Lord! The angels are singing . . . I think that is worth it!

My son prayed to accept the Lord at home. Then 6 months later when he was at VBS at our church, I was notified by his group leader that he accepted the Lord. I talked to my son about that later and he said he really considered his time at VBS when he really accepted the Lord. Praise God for VBS workers and all the time they put into ministering to children both inside and outside the church!

Myself and 2 others organized and orchestrated VBS this year for my church and 250+ children. It was a huge commitment on my part but totally worth it. The children had a great time and the volunteers felt like they really made a difference! We did track first time families vs returning families and/or members and we had 45 brand new families. That was awesome! Even without the new families, though, I still think it is a great way to treat our own congregation and their children to a little fun while learning about God :001_smile: We only spend what we bring in so our budget is based on enrollment at $25 per child. We also raise money each year for some charitable contribution...this year it was nickels for nets.

As far as it being "only kids from church" that attend, I have to say, "So what?"

Don't you want to nuture and disciple those kids? It's almost as if people think, "Well that kid is 'in,' let's focus on those who have yet to hear" and move on to the next person.

There's such a thing as building one's faith, and it's just as important, IMO, as the initial "hearing" of the Gospel.

We were invited to a church VBS when I was in elementary school. My family attended the Friday evening service and my mom was impressed enough to take us to the church following Sunday morning. She still attends the church nearly 30 years later. We would have never heard about the church if members had not canvased our neighborhood inviting kids to come. I will always have a special place in my heart for VBS because I saw the huge impact it had in the lives of my family.

We just finished our VBS, and all four of us in the family are exhausted. I don't volunteer as a group leader anymore, but I spent hours making nametags, entering registrations, getting photos, making snacks, helping with crafts, and any other place where they needed a little more help. My husband ran sound and helped with the 1st-3rd grade boys. He's sound asleep in the middle of the afternoon right now. :lol:

There are times when I wonder if all that energy is worth it, especially when I consider how all the other local churches are doing the same thing. Some of these kids have been to 3 or 4 VBS weeks in the last month. Some of the kids we ONLY see during VBS week.

However, this year changed my mind and I think VBS is worth it. Our VBS director was diagnosed with cancer, and went to chemo yesterday after surgery on Wednesday, and still showed up every day. The kids got to know her, care about her, pray for her, and see how God has continued to give her strength through all of that. The kids raised money to buy a wheelchair for a woman in the Cameroon, and they really felt like they were a part of something bigger. My kids look forward to VBS all year long, and they love it. If we could do it a little more low-key, I would be happier, but I think it's worth doing well.

I don't know that it's worth it-around here, it seems to be mostly used by families who send their kids to every VBS within driving distance for cheap summer activities. Given that a half-day camp is at least $100, I feel like that's taking advantage of the churches that run it, who want to reach the unchurched, not little Jamie who attends a Baptist church every Sunday and Awana every Wednesday, but, so far this summer, has been to three Baptist, three Methodist, Two Presbyterian, and a half dozen non-denominational VBSs and who's dresser is stuffed with VBS shirts!

Having said that, my DD attended one this summer with a friend of hers (co-sponsored by three small churches, one of which we attend), and really enjoyed it. Which made me feel good, since her last attempt at our old church led to three nights in a row of her coming home in tears because it was just too loud and noisy and chaotic (I assumed, erroneously, that the chaos would get less as the week progressed-if anything, it got worse) before I finally, about an hour into night 3, gave up and didn't bother to send her. More than anything else, it showed that she's really made progress on handing her sensory issues.

No. I think it is a TON of work for a lot of fluff. I felt tremendous relief when we decided to no longer help out or even attend.

I tend to think like this too (see my previous thread about church pressure), though I hesitate to say it isn't worthwhile. Some of the posts in this thread show that it can be a blessing. We did not participate this year and we are doing our own study with our Dc and another relative. My Dc enjoyed VBS, but I don't think it made a huge impact on their faith. What they learn at home in our daily study and prayer, choices & actions teaches them much more. We are exhausted this year and I just can't handle the driving or volunteering, so we are staying home. It's not going over very well.

I'm not exactly opposed to Dc going, but I do think sometimes the purposes of VBS can get lost. And, yes, often the message can be completely lost in the fluff.

It's also a hard line to walk when you have a mix of kids, some Christian, some not, and even the Christian kids come from homes with varying beliefs. I wasn't thrilled 2 years ago when Dd learned all about the middle finger. The teacher was trying to teach that it was wrong b/c of the kids from the neighborhood who she thought would benefit. I would rather Dd had remained innocently unaware of that particular gesture for a little longer.

I had all of my boys simultaneously. It was hard because I had no friends or family to take them off my hands so that I could get refreshed and put myself back together. I would get up early to carve time out for me, but many times they would wake up early no matter how quiet I would be to buy me some time. I know I am starting this post off about myself and not the kids, but a Mother that has perspective and has had a little time to center herself and make some plans or get some work done without constant distraction BECAUSE of the service of VBS is a BETTER mother. I have helped with VBS in times past because I had the heart for it--but always felt unappreciated. That didn't matter because it wasn't about me, but we should make sure VBS workers are rewarded. When I volunteered, I learned little things along the way for my own life. I still can remember one portion of a song years ago, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, he'll give your life a brand new start...even when the day is dark, trust in the Lord with all your heart." So, yes, it sticks. As a child I LOVED VBS (when I knew about it). Thank God for Melanie Sharpless that took me (my 5th grade teacher). It was fun and I LOVED crafts. I do not know if kids today love it as much because cartoons and video games and the computer make life more sensational. Back in the 80's we were quite bored unless Mom had been to Blockbuster to buy a movie. One thing I think works great in a VBS setting is hands on and small group. I like kids rotating in stations for crafts. VBS is not only worth it for the children (especially the poor ones that you have to go and get and return each day with your gas money) but also for the parents to have a break! You never know what part of VBS sticks in their heart forever to fashion their soul.

For our church it is worth it. We had vbs last week and this Wednesday there where parents and kids there that only knew about us from vbs. This gives those parents who intend on "getting back to church" a starting point and hopefully a church home. I picked up kids from the neighborhood (who's parents don't even know me) for vbs and now they want to keep on coming to church. These kids would not go to church otherwise, and I wouldn't know them otherwise, but now I have the opportunity to have input into their lives and they have the chance to hear more about Christ. It's an awesome opportunity. Vbs just needs to be used right by the congregation.

I AM one of those moms who bring her children to tons of VBS programs. While we don't go to church at all on Sundays, I can't bring myself to go, I do feel it is important to expose my children to religion/god/jesus.

Just because I don't go to church, doesn't mean my kids won't ever want to go. I believe it is ok for me to bring them to different churches so they can experience different choices.

They do ask to go back to specific churches VBS's year after year.

Robin

We just did a vbs that is not our church. There were 9 families from my church that attended. So many families came because of the positive experience of 1 family last year. None of these families will change to the vbs church but it was such a positive church that we parents will be sharing with others the kindness and amazing effort of this church.

In addition as the mother of children who attended I was blessed to see my children being cared for and taught by people who were excited about god and Jesus. The was a male teen helper that took responsibility for my wandering just turned 3 yr old son son so that he could tell me he had fun. The teacher in my sons class told me how much she enjoyed having him there even when I know he is a busy boy. As a mom that is worth everything to me. It was a wonderful experience as a community member.

I really love hearing the stories of how VBS impacted you, your kids, or even your parents when you were growing up. And so, yes, I'd say it's worth it, even for the one. I'm thinking about our journey to adopt Katya. We had to leave the other six with friends for five weeks, and then me again for two weeks. The cost was huge. Ultimately, the adoption, and our time out of the country, contributed to strain in our marriage, challenges in our church that ultimately led to it closing, and lots of tears and angst for everyone. But, was it worth it? Of course. But only because we knew God was leading us, with us, and being glorified by what we were doing.

I guess these same principles apply here. If a church has a sense of missional call, whether to nurture the kids who are in their church or reach out to those who are outside of their church, or both, then it's worth it. I have absolutely no problem with that. I'm guessing, however, that there are plenty of churches who do VBS because it's always been done. And, I too wonder about the families that go from VBS to VBS each summer.

I also am concerned about the fluff. After a week of VBS with four the kids volunteering and Katya participating, I asked Katya, "What have you learned about God this week?" Her answer, "Well, God can do anything, like walk on the water." Okay, that's true, but Jesus walking on the water was not one of the Bible stories this week. She just pulled that from what she knows about Jesus, not from what she heard at VBS.

I'm also concerned with how commercialized these glitzy VBS curricula are. I just really don't think that VBS needs all the bells and whistles to be fun, engaging, and share Christ with the kids.

I just started running our church's Family Ministry. I am not eager to do VBS, but am dreaming about families doing missions (local, state, national, international) together. While I haven't seen VBS have much of an impact on our family, I have seen my kids deeply impacted by serving together.

More thoughts?

I think it depends on the goal and execution. Some ladies I know at a small village church decided to do a VBS during March break. One of the main goals was to provide a safe place for school age kids that parents could afford. Many were not that well off and care options were limited.

It was also a chance for kids to learn about God, and it brought some new people to church over time, but those weren't the main reason they started the VBS.

I agree. I used to love VBS but have come to the pont where I really wish all that energy and effort were directed at those with true needs. What could that bunch of teens and moms done around the homes of a few senior citizens or single moms for that same amount of energy and money? With a simple devotional time, spiritual challenge and praise song time tagged on? That's where my mind goes these days. And curiously enough, just last week I heard a similar sentiment come out of the mouth of a teen at my church. Maybe there's change in the wind. Personally, I hope so.

:iagree:Yes, yes, YES!!! Let's use our time differently, shall we?

I direct the VBS program at our church. We did some soul searching about whether to continue, and I changed some of our goals to better reflect the value we find in VBS. We run one of the "glitzy" programs, but we do it very cost effectively so that it doesn't crash our children's budget. Here are the stated goals for our VBS.

1) Child evangelism (yes, the tried and true goal.) To make that goal real, we got creative this year about new ways to bring kids to our church who would not otherwise have come. They weren't necessarily successful, but we did meet a lot of families we would not have otherwise.

2) Leadership Development. Our Children's Pastor no longer runs VBS. We have a team of volunteers to do it--she gets to be on the team, but she is not the team. We have brought a whole new group of people out of the pews and into the trenches. In addition, this is a fantastic training ground for youth workers in a safe environment.

3) Congregational bonding--there is nothing like working alongside one another to increase our love for one another. I've met a ton of people in our small church I would never have met and have come to see the skills of some people that were previously unknown and untapped. There is something that everyone can do to help, even if they don't come to VBS. In our church, we only have a few young families. Getting all of them involved in VBS has reduced the urge to look elsewhere for church.

4) Discipleship. Are most of the kids that come churched? Yes, that's why we have a "salvation day" where we present the message, but the rest of the time we focus on what it means to follow Jesus for the kids who have already heard it. You can't hammer that message in enough.

5) Missions education. We always bring in real missionaries to talk about reaching unchurched people here and abroad. Its inspiring for the kids and they learned how they can really help others.

We've made some changes this year--we cancelled a craft day (less cardboard glue and glitter stuff to save) in favor of a nature education day where we brought in some Scouts to teach the kids knots and things. Experience over product.

Our VBS ended yesterday. I'm exhausted, but already gearing up for next year because our conclusion is that it is definitely worth it. Next week my kids are going to another church's VBS and I'm thankful for the break :) Its a community ministry to me and they connect with their neighborhood friends in a church setting. I find value in that.

One more thing, last year we turned our VBS into an international mission. Our youth group and children's pastor pulled out one of our old curriculum sets and went to Germany and pulled off VBS from material packed in a suitcase. They recruited kids from the town square and held it in a local church where we had a contact. Talk about training youth--they WERE the complete VBS staff and almost all the kids who attended were unchurched. The impacts are still lasting in our church.

I direct the VBS program at our church. We did some soul searching about whether to continue, and I changed some of our goals to better reflect the value we find in VBS. We run one of the "glitzy" programs, but we do it very cost effectively so that it doesn't crash our children's budget. Here are the stated goals for our VBS.

1) Child evangelism (yes, the tried and true goal.) To make that goal real, we got creative this year about new ways to bring kids to our church who would not otherwise have come. They weren't necessarily successful, but we did meet a lot of families we would not have otherwise.

2) Leadership Development. Our Children's Pastor no longer runs VBS. We have a team of volunteers to do it--she gets to be on the team, but she is not the team. We have brought a whole new group of people out of the pews and into the trenches. In addition, this is a fantastic training ground for youth workers in a safe environment.

3) Congregational bonding--there is nothing like working alongside one another to increase our love for one another. I've met a ton of people in our small church I would never have met and have come to see the skills of some people that were previously unknown and untapped. There is something that everyone can do to help, even if they don't come to VBS. In our church, we only have a few young families. Getting all of them involved in VBS has reduced the urge to look elsewhere for church.

4) Discipleship. Are most of the kids that come churched? Yes, that's why we have a "salvation day" where we present the message, but the rest of the time we focus on what it means to follow Jesus for the kids who have already heard it. You can't hammer that message in enough.

5) Missions education. We always bring in real missionaries to talk about reaching unchurched people here and abroad. Its inspiring for the kids and they learned how they can really help others.

We've made some changes this year--we cancelled a craft day (less cardboard glue and glitter stuff to save) in favor of a nature education day where we brought in some Scouts to teach the kids knots and things. Experience over product.

Our VBS ended yesterday. I'm exhausted, but already gearing up for next year because our conclusion is that it is definitely worth it. Next week my kids are going to another church's VBS and I'm thankful for the break :) Its a community ministry to me and they connect with their neighborhood friends in a church setting. I find value in that.

LOVE the way you've thought through this! You're helping me gain perspective!

Good point, but it seems that most of the teachings at the VBS programs I've been involved in are very light and basic--more geared to those who are hearing it all for the first time.

Having said that, though, I can't say it isn't worth it. We do have several visitors, including a few day care centers who bring most of their children for the week. Like someone else said, who knows what seed is being planted in those kids. And my kids LOVE VBS--they look forward to it every year. My dd, who has outgrown it, enjoys volunteering now. I just served at my 12th VBS in a row, though--and I won't be sad when we are done with it! ;) It is exhausting!

As far as it being "only kids from church" that attend, I have to say, "So what?"

Don't you want to nuture and disciple those kids? It's almost as if people think, "Well that kid is 'in,' let's focus on those who have yet to hear" and move on to the next person.

There's such a thing as building one's faith, and it's just as important, IMO, as the initial "hearing" of the Gospel.

I have to say I am one of those who swayed back and forth on many of the concerns voiced in previous posts. So instead of churning with internal criticism about something I wasn't sure about, I got involved.

After being a teacher guide for the past two years with the same group of kids, and being reassured of not having to follow exactly what is in the VBS book, I have been able to establish a short-term relationship with these kids by just having some heart to heart talks about Jesus on a level that they could engage. By leaving the "script", and having the kids crowd around me to draw pictures of the Bible verses on the plan of salvation and chatting about it, it just felt so natural, not canned.

I guess I am reminded about that fact that Jesus was all about a relationship....between us and His Father.

We've had both positive and neutral experiences. Our church in Hawaii had a wonderful outreach to many kids not from our church - or any church. For some, it was the first exposure to scripture in any fashion. The emphasis was on play (lots of running until exhausted types of games) and stories (bible lessons, scripture stories, and multi-part 'to be continued tomorrow' dramas involving the leaders and older teens.

Here is Alaska last year the VBS was mainly craft, snack, and story time with lots of little prizes for every conceivable thing. My kids brought home the crafts and tossed them straight in the bin. The little prizes laid around until I was tired of seeing them or stepping on them and then they get tossed. Sunday School here is the same way.

I'm really anti-twaddle and so are my kids. Maybe that's why they loved the lesson filled one versus the 'fun' one. They decided not to go this year.

My kids just had a fabulous time helping out a local church with their VBS. Today I sat in the audience cute moms and dads as they watched their kids sing and do hand motions to cute songs about Jesus. I'm looking at these amazing volunteers, the women who direct the whole shebang, and I'm SO grateful for all they pour out, but I found myself wondering "Is it worth it?" I'd really love to think it is. Do you have stories to tell of how you or your kids were deeply impacted by VBS? Or do you have these questions too?

It seemed to be the first experience with church that has 'clicked' with dd5. She has been 'watching for God' all week and she has been telling me the stories over an over again. She tells me things like that 'God is all around us' with wide eyed wonder. She checks the garden and tells me that God has been helping the plants grow. For her, it made an impact.

I promise this next part will make sense at the end. lol

Ds17 is going to Haiti this summer and when he gave his testimony to the Missions Committee he shared the story of how his faith developed over the years:

He went to the private school in the church in 4th grade. (the church tries hard to keep tuition low to make it possible for more people to attend)

He then attended Awanas.

Started attending summer camp.

Then Jr High youth group.

Started being a staff at some camps, campers at others.

Then High School Youth Group.

He started attending a Discipleship group.

Then he became a helper in the Sunday School.

Then he started as a leader of a group at Sunday School and a leader of a Discipleship Group.

Plays Keys in the band.

He is now a member of he College Group.

Teaching Sunday School. Leading a Discipleship Group.

Writing and giving occasional sermons. ...... it goes on ...but I will tell you that the last time my son was at church....was on Friday night, working as a volunteer for the same VBS, that my 5yo was attending.

The reason I say this, is that at his testimony, they commented that they were so happy to see someone who was affected by the outreach offered by the church to the point of becoming a leader. In the past year Ds17 has now applied to Bible College and has changed his major from Chemistry to Pastorial Studies. He plans to become a full time pastor.

This is why churches do things like VBS and Sunday School. Not only to help 5yos find God in a tomato plant but for those kids to have that same love of God at 17yo. Outreach programs not only help the community they service by giving those kids a fun, faith based, loving experience but, they give the older kids a chance to teach others about God and to strengthen their own devotion at the same time. To me, VBS and other outreach programs, are quite clearly, not only the baby steps for children to build their faith on....but also the baby steps to build the future Pastors and church leaders also.

I have only attended one chruch service at this church. The one when my son was babtized as a teenager. Its outreach has 100% affected his faith and devotion to God.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I guess these same principles apply here. If a church has a sense of missional call, whether to nurture the kids who are in their church or reach out to those who are outside of their church, or both, then it's worth it. I have absolutely no problem with that. I'm guessing, however, that there are plenty of churches who do VBS because it's always been done. And, I too wonder about the families that go from VBS to VBS each summer.

I also am concerned about the fluff. After a week of VBS with four the kids volunteering and Katya participating, I asked Katya, "What have you learned about God this week?" Her answer, "Well, God can do anything, like walk on the water." Okay, that's true, but Jesus walking on the water was not one of the Bible stories this week. She just pulled that from what she knows about Jesus, not from what she heard at VBS.

I'm also concerned with how commercialized these glitzy VBS curricula are. I just really don't think that VBS needs all the bells and whistles to be fun, engaging, and share Christ with the kids.

I just started running our church's Family Ministry. I am not eager to do VBS, but am dreaming about families doing missions (local, state, national, international) together. While I haven't seen VBS have much of an impact on our family, I have seen my kids deeply impacted by serving together.

More thoughts?

Ok, I just went through and read all the posts and I don't have especially coherent thoughts at the moment (GOODNESS it's late! :svengo: ) but in regards to what you have said here...

Our church long did VBS because they'd always done it. They moved to doing something a little different the last few years, and this year they actually did nothing at all. We also see that there are many who send their kids to every VBS over the course of the summer, which has me :001_huh: - it had never occurred to me to send my kids to any except the one our church does. Now, next year, I may send them to one, but just one, just for fun (especially if we don't do it again.)

It is possible that a lot of what they are getting is fluff. I think I would still be ok with that, personally, if that is what I went into it expecting. Like, I guess I'm just thinking, 'Well, was it still a positive experience for the kids?'; 'Did they have fun?' etc. Obviously it would be disappointing if a ton of effort had been put in to making it a major outreach activity, but I think that overall if it was a pleasant experience in a good environment, I would still be ok with the fluff. :)

Ah, the glitz. :D We actually have a Kids ministry that is big on glitz - well, big on spotlights, loud music, etc. And I'm ok with that. I'm also ok with things being less glitzy - I think each church has the niche that it is comfortable with and that's how it goes. I don't think the glitz is necessary, but I think the glitz is fun. Others find it distracting. It's all a taste thing. :)

Families doing missions together sounds awesome. (I really don't have much more to say on that, but that was my first thought when I read it! :) )