Menu

Portion Distortion - S/O of American weight thread

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We buy sugar in 1 lb bags. One of those will last us 1.5 to 2 years at the least.

:scared: How do you do that, lol? I've gone through two what-I-assumed-were-5-pound bags just in the last month!

Bill

Oh, yeah. Chickens are oddly huge now.

Yup. Bred to grow so huge fast so they can be slaughtered at 8 weeks and not waste more feed and space. :glare: *Counting the days/years until I can have some heirloom chickens around here.*

This thread is funny.

I remember you used to be able to buy small, medium, large, or jumbo sized eggs. Now they are all large or xxx large. Did chickens lose track of portion control also?

Good point. My hens lay many different size eggs, in a beautiful assortment of colors. People are always amazed at the blue and green ones, and ask me if they're really edible. LOL

DD and I decided to measure the 1920s bowl compared to a Corelle one we use today for cereal.

The 1920's bowl held 3/4 cup of water

The Corelle one held 3 cups.

No wonder I can't lose this last 10 lbs. I'm still eating 1 bowl of cereal, but look at the size difference!

We have decided to get out the 1920s China and use it for every day dishes.

:)

I wish you hadn't made me look.:tongue_smilie: My Mikasa cereal bowls hold 4 cups of water, my Noritake from my MIL holds 1.5 cups of water. That's rather obscene.

How do you do that, lol? I've gone through two what-I-assumed-were-5-pound bags just in the last month!

Easy. I seal the sugar up in a jar and almost never use it. Every once in a while I use a pinch.

How does one use 8-10 lbs of sugar in a month?

Bill

This. From muffin recipes sitting in front of me as I type:

1970 Joy of Cooking 1.75c flour+1/4 c. sugar = 2 dozen muffins

1990 Better Homes and Garden 1.75c flour+1/3 c. sugar = 1 dozen muffins

2006 Fine Cooking 3.5c flour+1 1/3c. sugar = 1 dozen muffins

2010 Eating Well (healthy take) 2c flour + 1c sugar = 1 dozen muffins

Note how high the healthy version is in sugar. I've found that lots of recipes out on the web that promote healthy versions focus on whole grains, adding fruits and nuts, and only slightly reduce the sugar. To me, modern muffins are the equivalent of cupcakes.

More on portion sizes: 1990 BH+G meatloaf recipe 1 lb gr.beef=4 servings

current online BH+G meatloaf recipe 1.5lb gr. beef=4 servings

1970 1 lb. spaghetti = 8 servings

now 1 lb. spaghetti = 4 servings

1970 1 bagel weighs 2-3 ounces

now 1 bagel weighs 6+ ounces

I personally like to use normal plates (we use a mix of lunch and dinner plates) and divide it mentally into four quandrants: 1/4 main/protein, 1/4grain/starch, 1/2 salads, veggies, fruit. No seconds. I follow NoS principles (www.nosdiet.com because they best mimic healthy food habits from around the world.

Thank you for sharing the nosdiet link. It was both entertaining and "food for thought.":D Years ago a dietician at our local health food store told me to stop snacking and stick to three reasonable meals a day. She said in the 20 years that she had been working with clients, she had yet to see that 5-6 smaller meals a day meant smaller waistlines in the long run. I have often thought about that comment, but I haven't heard anyone else push that idea in about 15 years.

I think my head will explode if there is one more food thread, yet I am certainly learning a lot.

This. From muffin recipes sitting in front of me as I type:

1970 Joy of Cooking 1.75c flour+1/4 c. sugar = 2 dozen muffins

1990 Better Homes and Garden 1.75c flour+1/3 c. sugar = 1 dozen muffins

2006 Fine Cooking 3.5c flour+1 1/3c. sugar = 1 dozen muffins

2010 Eating Well (healthy take) 2c flour + 1c sugar = 1 dozen muffins

Note how high the healthy version is in sugar. I've found that lots of recipes out on the web that promote healthy versions focus on whole grains, adding fruits and nuts, and only slightly reduce the sugar. To me, modern muffins are the equivalent of cupcakes.

More on portion sizes: 1990 BH+G meatloaf recipe 1 lb gr.beef=4 servings

current online BH+G meatloaf recipe 1.5lb gr. beef=4 servings

1970 1 lb. spaghetti = 8 servings

now 1 lb. spaghetti = 4 servings

1970 1 bagel weighs 2-3 ounces

now 1 bagel weighs 6+ ounces

I personally like to use normal plates (we use a mix of lunch and dinner plates) and divide it mentally into four quandrants: 1/4 main/protein, 1/4grain/starch, 1/2 salads, veggies, fruit. No seconds. I follow NoS principles (http://www.nosdiet.com because they best mimic healthy food habits from around the world.

Huh, now, see, I always want to reduce the sugar, but I get afraid of offsetting the chemisty of the recipe.

Now I will.

Huh, now, see, I always want to reduce the sugar, but I get afraid of offsetting the chemisty of the recipe.

Now I will.

When I bake (which is not often) I automatically cut the sugar in half, sometimes in 1/3. I have yet to have a recipe turn out bad that way. The sugar in modern recipes is ABSURD.

When I bake (which is not often) I automatically cut the sugar in half, sometimes in 1/3. I have yet to have a recipe turn out bad that way. The sugar in modern recipes is ABSURD.

:iagree:

Same here. We don't bake often, but when we want a banana bread or persimmon bread or something like that we reduce the sugar by about half and is never fails to be sweet enough.

Bill

I do that with American recipes. The German recipes I use ask for way less sugar. Sweet baked goods there are not nearly as sweet as here... once, my neighbors here in the US refused my cake (Grandma's decades old trusted recipe) because it was not sweet enough from them. Big cultural difference.

:iagree:

Same here. We don't bake often, but when we want a banana bread or persimmon bread or something like that we reduce the sugar by about half and is never fails to be sweet enough.

Bill

And for something like banana bread, if it is not sweet enough, you can put honey on your slice and make it as sweet as you want. Besides, bananas are pretty sweet, I don't remember my banana bread recipe having much sugar. It does have blueberries though. Yum.

I do that with American recipes. The German recipes I use ask for way less sugar. Sweet baked goods there are not nearly as sweet as here... once, my neighbors here in the US refused my cake (Grandma's decades old trusted recipe) because it was not sweet enough from them. Big cultural difference.

Yeah, a lot of people are used to sweets here being REALLY sweet. I've had people argue with me that apples and carrots are not sweet tasting. That's a pretty skewed sense of taste...

Easy. I seal the sugar up in a jar and almost never use it. Every once in a while I use a pinch.

How does one use 8-10 lbs of sugar in a month?

Bill

Multiple loaves of homemade yeast bread and banana bread, plus banana cookies. And my obscene mint chocolate birthday cake (with frosting and ganache).

Yeah, a lot of people are used to sweets here being REALLY sweet. I've had people argue with me that apples and carrots are not sweet tasting. That's a pretty skewed sense of taste...

I think most people eat so much sugar, salt, grease and artificial flavorings that their palates are shot.

Bill

I've used this recipe for a long time now to make homemade ice cream. I've varied the flavors, added nuts and/or fruits or chocolate chips. It's always been good. I make a gallon at a time (doubling the recipe), and that lasts us a long time unless we're having company or a party. I have my mama's old ice cream maker from the 1970s. I haven't seen any newer ones that make that much at a time.

When I was trying to break my sweet tea habit, I searched high and low for smaller glasses. I finally found some at IKEA. The size of modern coffee "cups" and drinking glasses boggles my mind. It may be a chicken and the egg situation, though. I recall watching a documentary about the design of everyday objects, and the designers were claiming that the plates got bigger *because* Americans wanted bigger portions at home like they were getting in restaurants. They also said that even the seats in our cars are wider now, to accommodate our growing behinds. :glare:

My tea cup holds almost 30 ounces. :D I don't drink anything else from it, but I'm really hydrated after two cups in the morning. :D

Yup. Bred to grow so huge fast so they can be slaughtered at 8 weeks and not waste more feed and space. :glare: *Counting the days/years until I can have some heirloom chickens around here.*

I just gave up and quit eating weird meat. Which means pretty much meat all together. :D

You do know there is a rule that recipes must be shared. ;) Unless it is a secret family recipe. :D

Oh I totally agree it's absurd. There is one baker who says Y'all alot whose recipes I won't touch because they're so absurdly sweet.

I like Italian sweet-just sweet enough. But now I'll fearlessly cut it in half. (This is why I always liked pies, I can add sugar to taste and not have to worry.)

I remember you used to be able to buy small, medium, large, or jumbo sized eggs. Now they are all large or xxx large. Did chickens lose track of portion control also?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wow, that is really skewed!

I agree that our palates are shot. I try to reduce the amount of sugar in my baking. I think there would be a real market for reduced sugar stuff---not replaced with fake sugar, but true honest to goodness, less sweet food that tastes like.... food.

Once you reduce your sugar, store bought things are just too sweet.

I love Blue Bell ice cream, but lately, I find some flavors to be unbearable (pralines and cream). Pasta sauce -- too sweet. I remember apples that were injected with grape flavoring and sugar..that's just wrong.

I almost won't eat a doughnut anymore. Any jellies...wow. Knowing how we (as humans) have always preserved, but sugar was rare, there has to be a way to preserve strawberries and peaches without so much sugar.

I LOVE my huge dinner plates. I have to have white everything. My DD don't like food touching and I like to have a huge bowl to toss a salad.

I don't think we fill up our plates though. It is hard for me to eat on a tiny plate. I like room :D

Edited by 425lisamarie

I don't really recall different portions, I don't think I'm old enough. :D

I was going to say that I actually don't think carrots are sweet. I guess they are a little sweet tasting when I have them in stir fry. the only other time I eat them is with a roast, I'm not a big carrot fan. I hate them raw (I hate most veggies raw).

Apples... yeah, I guess they can be sweet-ish. But if I'm thinking dessert I don't think of anything with apples, unless it includes some cinnamon and sugar.

I do know that I don't like a lot of the super-sweet things that others do - or I like them, but I just can't eat much.

Oh, and I've always thought Breyer's is disgusting. The texture was just not creamy enough. On rare occasions I've gotten it, but usually if I have to buy from the store I either get Turkey Hill or Blue Bunny. My preference is Schwan's, though.

I LOVE my huge dinner plates. I have to have white everything. My DD don't like food touching and I like to a huge bowl to toss a salad.

I don't think we fill up our plates though. It is hard for me to eat on a tiny plate. I like room :D

Ohh God help you. My Dd17's boyfriend is like that. We tease him unmercifully. I have old willowware tri sected plates from my nana's china on my walls and I tell him I'll get one down for him. :D

Then, when he's not looking, my kids push his food together, the bunch of heathens...

Ohh God help you. My Dd17's boyfriend is like that. We tease him unmercifully. I have old willowware tri sected plates from my nana's china on my walls and I tell him I'll get one down for him. :D

Then, when he's not looking, my kids push his food together, the bunch of heathens...

:lol: That is fantastic! DD is the only one, but DS and DH actually like when I make their plate look all restaurant like. It's kind of a joke. I have these "pasta" plates from Williams Sonoma. Dear Lord if one would actually fill one of those up with pasta. It could hold the entire pot. But good for soup.

This thread is funny.

I see medium eggs at the store. Maybe consumers don't buy them so they get sold for commercial purposes where they're weighed or something?

But since the modern chickens and turkeys can hardly walk with their giant engineered breasts, who knows. A warning to those who <3 breast implants??

Olives also are never small.

Yeah, watch out for Breyers. They are slowly converting all their real ice cream to "frozen dairy dessert." Corn syrup is one of the "new" ingredients. :glare:

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: We used to get their "All Natural" line. I haven't seen it in months. :glare::glare::glare:

Yeah, watch out for Breyers. They are slowly converting all their real ice cream to "frozen dairy dessert." Corn syrup is one of the "new" ingredients. :glare:

Oh no, really? I liked their natural one. Bleh.

Then again, America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Illustrated or whatever arm of that media octopus, claimed the ice cream with carageenan and corn syrup is so much more delicious than the weird stuff with eggs and cream. Huh? They also hate natural peanut butter and recommend buying giant tubs of curry powder and letting it sit in the cupboard indefinitely, so one starts to wonder how they got to be an authority on what tastes good.

I did buy some nice ice cream at Trader Joe's recently. It was my first time trying it.

I bought some last week- since it was Breyers I didn't bother to read the label. When I went to serve it, I noticed the weird 'frozen dairy dessert' name. Ugh!

I had no idea you could do this and still have the goods turn out. So if I started slowly cutting back on the sugar I bake with, hopefully no one would notice and they would adjust?

Unless I'm making marshmallow fondant for a birthday cake, I don't even buy sugar. We keep a little thing of honey, and sometimes maple syrup. For a while I was doing stevia mixed with honey in baked things, but I'm weaning off that, too. I still have one small jar of liquid stevia, but I should really toss it. It's pretty astonishing what you can do when you stop taking in all the sweets - for instance, in the past few months I moved from 70% dark chocolate to none for two months... and then re-introduced it, but found that I actually prefer the 90% to the 85%. It's not about the sweetness anymore, though I know that if I had tasted the 90% at a time when I was allowing loads of sugars, I would have gagged.

Your palate is not irretrievably lost, btw. Depending on where I've been with my food intake, I've been all over the spectrum, though usually closer to the German cakes. I, too, was raised on not-too-sweet (and usually a little nutty) German cakes, none of which would pass muster among American friends. Then again, my German family would (and does) gag at the American sugar cakes, so... ;)

I had no idea you could do this and still have the goods turn out. So if I started slowly cutting back on the sugar I bake with, hopefully no one would notice and they would adjust?

This works well in muffin, quick breads, homemade puddings, sugar in crunch/cobbler toppings, etc. I'd be hesitant to try this with cakes and cookies because for those items, the chemistry between sugar, fat, eggs, etc. is much more finicky if you really want a true cake texture (not muffin texture) and crispy/chewy/cakey cookies (per cookie type) consistently. But you CAN experiment and see what you come up with.

Personally, I choose to have real cake and cookies only very occasionally and in appropriately sized servings. (Hint: Martha Stewart has some good cookie recipes but the serving sizes are enormous. True story: My daughter made a M. Stewart Deep Chocolate Cherry cookie batch for me as a b'day present. Original recipe called for 1/4c dough/cookie. She halved that proportion and made twice as many. Even those cookies were so big and rich, I (and the rest of my family!) found that one cookie needed to be split between two and three people to be enjoyed. Just follow Joy of Cooking's (1970) advice (and I quote): "A true sign of home baking is a delicate small cookie." Next time I make that Deep Chocolate Cherry cookie (it WAS delicious), I'm going to make 4 times as many cookies as stated. THEN, it will be an appropriately-sized treat.

Also, when we moved overseas and I HAD to do a lot of cooking from scratch, I developed my own sense of "ratios" for just-sweet-enough bread/grain products:

muffins and baked oatmeal: 1/4-1/3 c sugar per 1 dozen muffins/pan of baked oatmeal. Amount depends on add-ins: tart fruits/pumpkin usually benefit from the extra boost, bananas/apples/carrots don't.

Quick breads and coffee cakes: 1/2c. sugar per loaf/8" sq. (Extra sugar gives it that "loaf/coffee cake" texture)

Yeasted coffee cakes: 1/4-1/3 c. sugar per dough for a 9x13 pan. Yeasted doughs don't rely on the sugar for texture so you can get away with less. Many European desserts on based on yeasted doughs and fruit and thus are minimally sweet but very satisfying and festive.

For fancy muffins and coffee cakes, I sometimes use a simple struesel topping: 2T sugar, 4t. flour (can be ww), 1T. butter cut together. Optional add-ins: 1/2 tsp. cinnamon/other spices, citrus zest, 2T chopped nuts. That is enough for 12 muffins and makes them look finished. Thus, my very satisfying muffin clocks in at 2-3 tsp. added sugar per muffin vs. the 2-3+ Tbsp. of modern muffins. And, when you are first learning to reduce sugar in a recipe, putting a bit of it on top (ie., struesel topping or sprinkling of demerara sugar), goes a long way to enhancing the sensation of sweetness because you get a tiny burst with every bite.

Hth,

I have a few American recipie books -I agree -on every recipie I immediately halve the amount of sugar -it's crazy. One time I made some choc-chip cookies and forgot to halve it and even my sugar addict kids wouldn't eat them - :ack2:

Australia has started importing some American branded cereals. I bought some Lucky Charms the other day to try - I immediately banned them for breakfast and told my kids to treat it as candy :lol: I got mouth ulcers from eating a couple handfuls - how can you EAT that stuff for breakfast - no wonder the kids can't sit still in school :lol:

Anyways -we have the opposite problem here in Aus. Food is so expensive that the price keeps going up but the portions get smaller and smaller. Our chickens are the size of a pidgeon :glare: One is not enough to serve our whole family and apart from DH the rest of us only eat a tiny portion of it.

It's pretty fun when you are an Aussie visting the US or Canada though. I remember the first time I went through a drive through in Canada - I think it was Wendy's. When I saw the size of the food my DH ordered I was like smileyvault-jawdrop.gif

I made sure I always ordered a small after that.

In the US I felt nothing but guilt when I ordered meals out - I knew I wouldn't even eat a quarter of it - it felt like such a waste.

I have a few American recipie books -I agree -on every recipie I immediately halve the amount of sugar -it's crazy. One time I made some choc-chip cookies and forgot to halve it and even my sugar addict kids wouldn't eat them - :ack2:

Australia has started importing some American branded cereals. I bought some Lucky Charms the other day to try - I immediately banned them for breakfast and told my kids to treat it as candy :lol: I got mouth ulcers from eating a couple handfuls - how can you EAT that stuff for breakfast - no wonder the kids can't sit still in school :lol:

Anyways -we have the opposite problem here in Aus. Food is so expensive that the price keeps going up but the portions get smaller and smaller. Our chickens are the size of a pidgeon :glare: One is not enough to serve our whole family and apart from DH the rest of us only eat a tiny portion of it.

It's pretty fun when you are an Aussie visting the US or Canada though. I remember the first time I went through a drive through in Canada - I think it was Wendy's. When I saw the size of the food my DH ordered I was like smileyvault-jawdrop.gif

I made sure I always ordered a small after that.

In the US I felt nothing but guilt when I ordered meals out - I knew I wouldn't even eat a quarter of it - it felt like such a waste.

:iagree: I agree about American cookbooks and the amount of sugar.

I also agree about the shrinking size of food and price rising. I remember it was not so long ago that a sack of potatoes was 50 kg, and cost around $25 . The size is now 20kg at the same price.

It certainly works here. My baked goods disappear rapidly and the kids beg for them, so it can't be that awful tasting.

FWIW, I do it with cakes and cookies too. Especially cookies.

This is an incredibly interesting thread.

The first time we moved to Germany, we were surprised by the portion sizes, being used to American portions, but after so many years, we're kind of repulsed when we go to America. When we were visiting family in April, none of us could finish the meals we ordered at the restaurant. James Bond ordered fried shrimp one night, which came out HUGE, but JB said were mostly breading. He said he couldn't taste the shrimp so he pulled all the breading off.

A large drink at a fast food restaurant here, where most have no refills, are 33cl, which is 11.16oz. The small (there is no medium at most places) is 25cl, which is 8.45oz. The cups that come in the kids meal are 20cl which is 6.75oz. The large fry is barely the size of a med in the States and the burgers are much smaller. At sit down restaurants the portions are much smaller than American portions too, except maybe at Chinese restaurants, but we almost never finish that.

The sweets over here are far less sweet than those in the US. To us sweets in the States are just too sweet, but when people visit us they complain that the sweets here aren't sweet enough!

I am obsessed with vintage transferware-if you don't know what it is, the link will take you to photos of some of mine on my blog (I have over 60 dinner plates alone!) and I got them out to measure. Our dinner plates are 9.5" across, but the area where the food goes (inside the rim) is 6.5" while the small salad plates are 8" and the area where the food goes is 5.5". We use the salad plates for our meals. Our bowls hold just under 1 cup and our soup bowls, which are soo beautiful and dainty-they have handles down the sides) hold just over 1 cup, but less than 1.25c. I never knew plates had gotten bigger!

BTW, I only buy sugar at Christmas when we are making pumpkin bread for our neighbors. It boggles my mom's mind that I don't buy sugar. I do keep sugar cubes on hand in case someone wants it in their tea of coffee, but one box lasts about 6-8 months.

Edited by Mom in High Heels

I don't really recall different portions, I don't think I'm old enough. :D

TWERP!

Hey, if you haven't thought of it, and would like to purchase a less-sweet cake, my family always asks for birthday cakes from the Asian bakery. They are much less sweet and have fruit on top. They're beautiful. If you have a decent sized Asian grocery, they probably have a counter for cakes and sweets and it's all less sweet than what you find at a regular bakery.

a30d7999.jpg

Edited by KungFuPanda

It certainly works here. My baked goods disappear rapidly and the kids beg for them, so it can't be that awful tasting.

FWIW, I do it with cakes and cookies too. Especially cookies.

I tested it this morning with muffins and no one noticed. After the muffins were gone I told the kids I had used half the sugar and they were surprised. I wish I had tried this sooner!

Another thing I have noticed at SAM'S club especially is that many of the items we normally buy will suddenly unavailable, only to reappear a few months later in a smaller size but for the same price. This recently happened with raisins 4# down to 3.75 and blueberries 4 # down to 3#. Right now they don't have the almonds we normally buy and I am expecting the same thing when they have them in stock again.