Menu

Portion Distortion - S/O of American weight thread

I too often reduce sugar (I've found reducing a 1/4 of it makes little difference), but I thought of you all as I halved the sugar in something I made. My daughter thought it tasted better than normal!

A while back, I hadn't baked for a while and I kept forgetting to put sugar in everything I baked. My husband really liked the sugarless blueberry muffins. I think I will be reducing sugar with more regularity.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you have eaten in restaurants where they serve rice the traditional Chinese way: it's in a big rice cooker/serving bowl and people take small helping into very small bowls, then add small amounts of other dishes on top. I just checked, and our bowls hold just over 250ml, so not much more than a US cup. Ikea stocks a similar small bowl in the UK, in the 365 range.

Laura

I have seen many portion changes in my lifetime. From the Super Sizing of fast food to the shrinking packages in the stores. They have shrunk many times over the years. I remember when ring dings and yodels came wrapped in foil. So Yummy.

As for Breyer's it was all over for them when Good Humor purchased them. Once their vanilla ice cream went from milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla beans to something else I stopped buying it. I stopped buying ice cream for the house because the only thing I can find with an acceptable ingredient list is Hagaan Daz. Too expensive. Now I only buy it once or twice a year for birthdays. I have been contemplating investing in the ice cream attachment to my kitchenaid.

As for Breyer's it was all over for them when Good Humor purchased them. Once their vanilla ice cream went from milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla beans to something else I stopped buying it..

I just bought Breyer's Natural Vanilla this week - and that's what is in it. No corn syrup.

I've been trying to reduce my portions to more reasonable amounts. Using the correlle lunch plates instead of dinner plates work well. Also, I've begun taking Bento-style lunches to work. For my age & size it's recommended to use a 600ml box for Bento lunches. Ideally this should be 40% rice (carb.), 30% protein, 20% veg., & 10% pickle or sweet. I've been aiming more for 25% carb., 25% protien, & 50% veg. / fruit. I have two 300ml (~1.25 cups each) containers that I use for lunch. They looked so-o-o tiny when I began. I fill one with my carb. / protein & one with fruit & veg. I was surprised that 600ml was more than enough to keep me satisfied. I definitely have been over eating for years. I guess that could be why I've put on 50 pounds in the past 15 years.

Regarding American portions sizes...my family is disgusted at the HUGE portions that are normal in America. We found all-you-can-eat places best as we could serve ourselves more healthy portions & food choices. Pizza Hut's personal pan pizzas were also a hit with us.

JMHO,

I just bought Breyer's Natural Vanilla this week - and that's what is in it. No corn syrup.

The last time I checked their vanilla there was no corn syrup but there was tara gum and natural flavor. not a vanilla bean in sight. Tara gum is a thickening aent used in a lot of foods. The company can use less milk and cream thus increasing their profits.

Personally, I don't care for the texture and taste of Breyer's now because of the additives.

On a side note, it is better for all of our wasitlines not to keep ice cream in the house. Special treat to go out for ice cream.

This link: http://www.insurancequotes.org/serving-sizes-around-the-world

I've known for years about the super sizing of American foods, but I really appreciated seeing the size comparisons of servings/items between modern-day Paris and Phildelphia. It is a long page, so scroll down to see all the info.

That was really interesting, and discouraging. :tongue_smilie: Thanks for sharing.

I'll have to check my Fiestaware and report back.

They're huge.

But they do make smaller (lunch) plates and fruit bowls. We use the ramekins for ice cream. They are 8 ounce bowls, and I fill them about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way.

I also have a purchased a different smaller bowl, but can't find that one now. They are 5.5" diameter, but otherwise identical to the 14 1/4 oz. cereal bowl.

ETA: Nevermind. I see the 14 1/4 ounce bowl IS the smaller bowl, and the cereal bowl holds 19 ounces.

Edited by darlasowders

I agree that our palates are shot. I try to reduce the amount of sugar in my baking. I think there would be a real market for reduced sugar stuff---not replaced with fake sugar, but true honest to goodness, less sweet food that tastes like.... food.

Once you reduce your sugar, store bought things are just too sweet.

I love Blue Bell ice cream, but lately, I find some flavors to be unbearable (pralines and cream). Pasta sauce -- too sweet. I remember apples that were injected with grape flavoring and sugar..that's just wrong.

I almost won't eat a doughnut anymore. Any jellies...wow. Knowing how we (as humans) have always preserved, but sugar was rare, there has to be a way to preserve strawberries and peaches without so much sugar.

The sugar doesn't actually preserve canned fruit, but helps with texture and color. Having a son who can't eat processed sugar, I can fruits with 100% white grape juice or apple juice. I make applesauce all the time and never add sugar. And I almost always halve the amount of sweetener called for in baked goods. Once your palate adjusts, it's amazing how sweet things taste. My husband just brought me back some dark chocolate from Switzerland. I usually eat 70-80% dark chocolate from Trader Joe's, and this Swiss bar was way too sweet at only 49%.

How does one use 8-10 lbs of sugar in a month?

I don't think we use that much, but it doesn't seem shocking to me.

I buy the organic stuff, which comes in smaller packages. (I think the brand I usually buy is three pounds.) I like to bake, and we don't buy a lot of packaged goodies. So, it's not unusual for me to go through a couple of jugs of sugar in a month. One batch of cookies per week would account for one of those in a month. (Not that I'm saying I bake a batch of cookies every week. I'm just making a point.)

Bowls are a LOT bigger than the ones I grew up with. I have to tell my little one not to fill them up.

The 1920's bowl held 3/4 cup of water

The Corelle one held 3 cups.

Well, we don't eat cold cereal at all, but I know (because I use them to dissolve yeast in water when baking bread) that my bowls hold either 1.5 or two cups of water, depending on the set. I've purchased both sets in the last 10 years.

We buy sugar in 1 lb bags. One of those will last us 1.5 to 2 years at the least.

Bill

Well, aren't you the sugar addict. I buy my sugar in 1/2 tsp bags from the bulk bin. It lasts 3 years!

...Actually, I'm kidding. I buy a single sugar cane, squeeze the juice, and make my own sugar.

:tongue_smilie:

• 1 month later...
Those foods include dairy, beef and chicken, because the animals have been fed the corn and soy.

YOUR animals have been fed corn and soy. That is very uncommon up here, and verbotten for our own farm's animals.

When I first moved here, I couldn't have cared less about a steak, but then I had Canadian beef. Holy cow! It was heaven, unlike the corn-fed crap I'd been used to before. Our own stuff is even better, but I'm quite biased about that. ;)

I can't remember anything in particular, but my husband and I were watching some older episodes of Law & Order and I couldn't get over how small the coffee cups were that the actors were drinking out of.

I think the large portions are definitely on the way out though with the rise in food prices. I've noticed portions are beginning to get smaller at restaurants and in the grocery stores.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

This link: http://www.insurancequotes.org/serving-sizes-around-the-world

I've known for years about the super sizing of American foods, but I really appreciated seeing the size comparisons of servings/items between modern-day Paris and Phildelphia. It is a long page, so scroll down to see all the info.

It is interesting, but they also list average daily calorie consumption for Americans at 3770 and the French at 3550. That doesn't seem like a huge difference to me. Italy's is 3660 and their obesity rate is much lower than ours. I'm not sure how to reconcile this information except to think the problem is related more to exercise than food consumption?

Lisa

It is interesting, but they also list average daily calorie consumption for Americans at 3770 and the French at 3550. That doesn't seem like a huge difference to me. Italy's is 3660 and their obesity rate is much lower than ours. I'm not sure how to reconcile this information except to think the problem is related more to exercise than food consumption?

Lisa

I do think the overly sedentary lifestyle of most Americans plays a part. But also, it is telling that while the daily consumption difference seems small (220 calories per day between US and France), that works out to 80,300 more calories per year. Assuming 3500 extra calories = 1 pound of fat, that averages out to 23 pounds worth of extra fat....and that is not just once, BUT EVERY YEAR.

I think it points more to the fact that overeating (due to many factors including portion distortion) on a consistent, daily basis explains the obesity epidemic in the US very well.

Well, I think the high calories in their diet come from better fats and more REAL foods, you know? French eat lots of butter, heavy cream, etc. The Italians consume lots of Olive Oil, cheese, etc.

Their meals have higher calories, but in smaller portions and it's REAL food that the body can process and satiates them.

The standard American diet has a lot of empty calories. Soda, potato chips, etc. So, we are getting more calories, but WAY less vitamins/nutrients and it makes us more unhealthy. Plus, we are getting lots of HFCS, Soy, Trans-fats, GMO's, etc. Stuff that is banned in Europe. I'm sure that all of that plays a part.

Yes, I wonder about this too.

Lisa

I do think the overly sedentary lifestyle of most Americans plays a part. But also, it is telling that while the daily consumption difference seems small (220 calories per day between US and France), that works out to 80,300 more calories per year. Assuming 3500 extra calories = 1 pound of fat, that averages out to 23 pounds worth of extra fat....and that is not just once, BUT EVERY YEAR.

I think it points more to the fact that overeating (due to many factors including portion distortion) on a consistent, daily basis explains the obesity epidemic in the US very well.

I did think about the long term effect those small amounts would have over time, but I didn't make any calculations. I see what you are saying. But, I really hate how Americans are portrayed as such gluttons when most of the other countries listed in this study are eating very much in line with us.

Frankly, I can't imagine eating 3,700, or even 3,200 or 2,500 calories a day, so it's kind of crazy for me to see the numbers in this study. The French are thin, but eat 3,500 calories a day? The Italians are thin, but eat 3,600 calories a day? How can that be? Also, Mexico, which consumes significantly less calories than France, Italy, etc. (3,250), has an obesity rate that is almost as high as ours.

I'm not challenging you. I'm just trying to make some sense of these numbers. It is certainly interesting information to think about.

Lisa

Lisa

10 calories/day is *roughly* 1lb/year. It adds up, it really does.

Add in burning a little extra due to more walking, even if it's only 100/day, and you explain it.

What else does this mean for us? Well, that for ourselves, if we could *consistently* cut out one small thing, our weight would start to shrink.

For example, cutting out a single can of soda per day should lead you to drop 15-20 lbs/year if you left everything else unchanged.

I had no idea you could do this and still have the goods turn out. So if I started slowly cutting back on the sugar I bake with, hopefully no one would notice and they would adjust?

Some goods (especially cakes) just won't work if you cut the sugar TOO low. What'll happen is that it won't rise, and you'll get a very flat and dense (but still yummy imo) cake.

Amusingly -- my grandmother told my mother that you could cut the sugar in just about any cake recipe by a third (now you can halve it, back then it was a third :D) -- so my mother did. Except she found she couldn't cut the sugar in my grandma's recipes, because they were already at the absolute minimum amount of sugar needed to actually work. We had pound cake every day for a week while she figured that out :P

YES! I distinctly recall the bags of cheese I buy at Sam's being bigger than what I bought last time I went. They're 5lb bags now. I asked the cashier and she acted like I was the crazy one. I know it was more than 5lbs for the same price!

I've been buying cheese at Sam's for years and it's always been 5 lb. bags. :confused:

When we started shopping at Trader Joe's a couple of years ago, we tried their yogurt. It was so good but I thought the cups were tiny! After a while they seemed normal and now, I sometimes have trouble finishing them LOL!