Menu

??? Florida

Just doing some research here; no immediate or pending moves...yet. We have family on both sides trying to get us to move closer to them.

When answering, please keep in mind two things. Large family of ten and there MUST be an Orthodox (preferably Greek Orthodox) Church nearby.

1. Where do you personally think is the best place to live in Florida?

2. What is the cost of living there like, compared to the northeast or Pennsylvania?

3. Are you familiar with the Tampa/St. Petersburgh/Spring Hill area? Opinions?

4. Are you familiar with the Jacksonville area? Opinions?

5. Are large reptiles a regular problem (aka, is allowing young children to play in the yard a problem or do they have to be constantly supervised because of this)?

6. Sinkholes...I've been told that this is common all over Florida...true? So if your house goes into one, you're just SOL, right? (apparently, Spring Hill is rampant with this issue)

7. Are there any actual towns in Florida? I'm finding only a ton of gated communities and suburbs. HOA's seem to be the rule (and you all know how I feel about HOA's).

8. If you virtual school, could you tell me about it?

9. Compared to Georgia and South Carolina, do you prefer FL over these two or would you prefer one of the other two?

Just doing some research here; no immediate or pending moves...yet. We have family on both sides trying to get us to move closer to them.

When answering, please keep in mind two things. Large family of ten and there MUST be an Orthodox (preferably Greek Orthodox) Church nearby.

I have lived in the North in White Springs and I have lived down south Palm Beach I won't even take my kids on vacation to Palm Beach nasty place in my opinion. Living around here I can't drive 5 miles without seeing some type of church.

2. What is the cost of living there like, compared to the northeast or Pennsylvania?

Jacksonville is pretty nice and has alot more options for homeschoolers and more places to go sadly it is an hour away from us

5. Are large reptiles a regular problem (aka, is allowing young children to play in the yard a problem or do they have to be constantly supervised because of this)?

My kids play out all the tim but I do not live very close to a river either if that was the case I may worry more the biggest thing we have saw is a HUGE tortiose

6. Sinkholes...I've been told that this is common all over Florida...true? So if your house goes into one, you're just SOL, right? (apparently, Spring Hill is rampant with this issue)

7. Are there any actual towns in Florida? I'm finding only a ton of gated communities and suburbs. HOA's seem to be the rule (and you all know how I feel about HOA's).

I live in the country if you saw pictures you would swear it was Tenn. I would never live in those types of places either way too much drama

9. Compared to Georgia and South Carolina, do you prefer FL over these two or would you prefer one of the other two?

I answered what I could there are pros and cons all over I guess you just have to find what you are willing to sacrifice and your life style. I live bout 20 miles from town I think and yes at times that sucks but I hope I never have to live in a neighborhood area again because to me that is much worse.

I grew up in Palm Beach and I would never raise a kid there. Granted they have tons of stuff I just wouldn't want my kids to socialize with anything like the people I grew up with.

My parents are selling the back 10 acres to our property I would love some neighbors that homeschool ;)

We're in the St. Augustine area and there are many areas/homes that don't have an HOA. I don't know much about the Orthodox community, but I do know there is a large Greek Orthodox church here that puts on a Greek festival every year in downtown St. Augustine.

We do see lots of snakes but they've never bothered any of us. The kids play outside all the time and have never had problems. We've never had an issue with a sinkhole, and no one we know has had problems.

I answered what I could there are pros and cons all over I guess you just have to find what you are willing to sacrifice and your life style. I live bout 20 miles from town I think and yes at times that sucks but I hope I never have to live in a neighborhood area again because to me that is much worse.

I grew up in Palm Beach and I would never raise a kid there. Granted they have tons of stuff I just wouldn't want my kids to socialize with anything like the people I grew up with.

My parents are selling the back 10 acres to our property I would love some neighbors that homeschool ;)

So where are you located now? (you can pm me if you want) We aren't in a position to buy as of yet. DH will be going to school in the spring and then a new job. He may or may not have the option of relocating. First will be cleaning up our credit and saving. I know there is a GOC in St. Augustine and Jacksonville. All around Tampa is full of GOC's with three monasteries north of Spring Hill.

But shoot, ten acres sounds nice!

Another place we've looked at is Texas. But that puts us farther from family. I have family all over low country SC (Charleston, Goose Creek, Hanahan, Summerville, Hollywood, Shulerville, etc) and some cousins in Lakeland (won't live there though), and my husband has family in Spring Hill, Florida.

Edited by mommaduck

Don't move to the Miami/South Florida area. This place is crazy! The drivers are nuts, the place is either dangerous or gated with nearby strip malls. And, yes, we live in a neighborhood with an HOA. Everything is very expensive, especially the food and the ubiquitous toll roads. Luckily we're in the military and know that we only have to live here for 3 years. The beach is nice, though.

I would move back to Georgia in a heartbeat. The people are so much nicer up there, and everything is much less expensive (esp homeowner's ins).

Don't move to the Miami/South Florida area. This place is crazy! The drivers are nuts, the place is either dangerous or gated with nearby strip malls. And, yes, we live in a neighborhood with an HOA. Everything is very expensive, especially the food and the ubiquitous toll roads. Luckily we're in the military and know that we only have to live here for 3 years. The beach is nice, though.

I would move back to Georgia in a heartbeat. The people are so much nicer up there, and everything is much less expensive (esp homeowner's ins).

Yeah, I think Tampa/St Pete's is the farthest south I'd be willing to go. Miami is out of the question. We aren't the wealthiest of folks.

Do you mind if I pipe up with a preference between the three? Having lived in GA, SC and close enough to FL on the GA line that I was in FL constantly, I'd have to pick SC.

But if I had my druthers I'd stay out of the south.

Tarpon Springs would be the place to go. It has nicer houses for less too IMO. It's just not quick to get to the "big city" (Tampa).

I like parts of Orlando.

2. What is the cost of living there like, compared to the northeast or Pennsylvania? Compared to the Midwest it is high.

3. Are you familiar with the Tampa/St. Petersburgh/Spring Hill area? Opinions? We are in Tampa Bay area. I love the nature, but housing and shopping are hit/miss for me.

I think it is more like Georgia. Poorer areas. Downtown does seem to be bigger than some places.

Not unless you live next to water. We have squirrels, snakes, lizards, frogs, racoons, assortment of birds visit our backyard.

Is there insurance for this?

7. Are there any actual towns in Florida? I'm finding only a ton of gated communities and suburbs. HOA's seem to be the rule (and you all know how I feel about HOA's). Yes, but not quite the same as in the North.

I would still pick FL!

Having lived in Ft Myers, FL, and lived and homeschooled in Jacksonville, and now live and homeschool in SC,

here's my two cents.

1. Reptiles are not a huge problem...not the way you make it sound, lol. There's little chameleons everywhere, little meaning 1-2 inches...and they run as soon as they see you. You get used to seeing them soon enough so you don't even notice after a while. Snakes, okay, they are there, but no different then any other place. Gators, yes, these are an issue, whenever you are near fresh water, ie lakes, rivers, etc etc...you've just got to know and be always aware. I did leave Florida with a healthy fear of water, and gators. I won't lie about that. They are sneaky and can be in the water and you'd never know, and they can move so if they weren't in that back pond last week, doesn't mean they aren't there now, lol. We just avoided being near fresh water. We had a retaining pond in back of our house, about 100 yards away, and no back fence (we were renters, so weren't putting one up). My children were not allowed to be in the back yard by themselves, ever. Really not a big deal because everyone played in the cul-de-sac anyhoo. I can say that I love being able to take my children to a lake in upstate SC and NC and being able to swim in lake like I did as a child in the midwest, without fear of gators!!

2. Jacksonville has a great HSing world, but in general, Jacksonville has lots of crime. There's a whole northside that is rampant with crime and the westside isn't much better, and all of that eventually oozes everywhere. Sheriff department is off the hook crazy and notorious for shoot before asking, type of situations. A few years ago, Jacksonville had the highest crime rate per capital than any other city in Florida...yep, even more than the Miami area. Anyhoo, one could say that as long as you stay in your area, and avoid those bad sides of town, you'd be fine. But like I said, that stuff oozes. Downtown Jax is completely dead and useless unless you work in one of the office buildings, or the Jag football games and occasional other events. Otherwise there's NOTHING to do down there, and you'll find you rarely go down.

The thing with Florida in general, is that is just a ripe area for a transient type life. I mean, if you are homeless, or not able to maintain a "life" as most people do, wouldn't you rather be in a warm area, versus cold winters? I always felt on HIGH alert for predators, pedophiles etc while living in Florida. I know, they can and are EVERYWHERE, but it just seemed to me that a lot of bad stories come from FL....kidnappings, pedophiles, etc...lots coming from that area. Alot of people don't realize that there are LOTS of countryish areas outside of the main cities, Florida has alot of "backwoods" areas, and these are the areas that alot of transients tend to get a trailer on, and live out in the boonies, etc. There's lots of small towns surrounding the big cities, and small towns out along the highway routes, etc. Lots.

I remember realizing after we have moved from Jax a few months, realizing that I wasn't on such high alert...still aware, of course, but not so ultra-alert to weirdo's, etc,.... just didn't feel like I was surrounded by it, like you do in Fl.

Never saw or heard of a sinkhole in the N Florida area the entire 8 years we lived there.

N FL is completely different than S Florida...it's like two different worlds. Even the weather is different....it does get cold sometimes in N Florida.

As far as homeschooling itself, actually what I do here in SC is exactly what I did in FLorida....sign up under an "umbrella" or association, and thus just have to follow their rules, which are pratically nil. Super easy.

We lived in the Orlando area for 8 years and LOVED it. I'm going to assume in a city that size that there is a Greek Orthodox church somewhere, but I don't have any personal knowledge of one in the area we were at (west of downtown).

2. What is the cost of living there like, compared to the northeast or Pennsylvania? I think you can find a COL calculator to figure that out. The housing market got hit HARD there, so you can find decent houses for less than 100K in some cases.

We visited, but never lived there. I really love all of central Florida.

It's a little more southern (in the cultural sense) than central Florida. You'd have to decide if that makes it more or less attractive to you (it's less attractive to me).

5. Are large reptiles a regular problem (aka, is allowing young children to play in the yard a problem or do they have to be constantly supervised because of this)? No, not unless your kids are playing on a heavily reeded lakeshore. Put this issue out of your mind!

Yes, FL has sinkholes. I guess that falls under, not a problem unless you hit those lottery odds of it being your problem. I would just avoid any areas known to have them, I guess. I never really worried about sinkholes.

Sure there is. The subdivisions are just neighborhoods within the towns. It's just a symptom of newer construction. Builders buy land, give it a fancy name, maybe throw a gate out front, create an HOA, sell and leave. There's still older sections of most towns that are HOA free.

I got nothing on that. However, I really liked hsing in FL. There are just a ton of opportunities.

I have limited experience in GA and SC. All I can say is that I think you'd have to be very comfortable with true southern culture to happily live in those states. Florida has a lot more northern transplants, so there's a little more of that melting pot culture (which I really prefer).

Edited by Shannon831

Hmm..not really sure. I'm in the Orlando metro area now...it is ok, but traffic is yuck. Lived in South Florida for most of my life, and Tallhassee for several years. I probably prefer Tallahassee, but Central Florida is pretty good. I do miss being near the beach.

I believe we are much lower. I know we are lower than say NY or CT.

Not really, sorry. Gorgeous beaches. Hotter than the east coast though.

Jacksonville is HUGE HUGE HUGE. That is my only knowledge of it. I try to avoid it when driving north, so I don't get stuck in its traffic.

LOL, it literally took me several minutes (like 5 at least) to figure out what the heck you were talking about here!!! So no, alligators are not a huge problem unless you live right on a freshwater canal...and even then most people put up a fence around their yard and gators don't climb fences. My parents had a trapper get a 7ft one out of the canal behind their house, but it wasn't bothering anyone. We don't let kids play at the edges of such bodies of water unsupervised. But they don't walk up and down the streets for the most part. Seriously...I thought you were asking about the lizards we have at first.

This is really only a big problem in "sink hole alley"....I have only read about them on the news. I've never, in my 36 years here, known someone whose house ended up in a sinkhole, or known someone that knew someone, etc. ONly ones I've ever known of personally in my whole life were on the highway, twice....and they weren't huge, they just needed to be repaired. Not anything to worry about really. Other than it can be VERY hard to get homeowner's insurance in that "sink hole alley" area.

Yes, if you don't mind an older house. I grew up in North Palm Beach and Palm Beach Gardens (and would recommend those areas except for all the rich Palm Beach folk spreading into them....I get creeped out by all the uber wealthy society folk). The neighborhoods I am from don't have HOA's and are towns. Actually, I think North Palm Beach is actually technically a village, or it was when I was there. Where I am now, in Apopka, is not gated...I won't live in a gated community and there are plenty of places that aren't...but again, often older areas.

eh...we did one class for 2 weeks (spanish) and hated it. I know someone who teaches the highschool physics class. Some love it, some hate it. But even if you don't do virtual school kids are eligible to take classes at the regular schools on a per class basis, can play sports at public school, and can do dual enrollment at the community colleges for FREE.

Prefer Florida. More diverse. I grew up with friends of all races and religions. I was in college before I realized kids didn't all learn to play dreidel in elementary school, lol. In my son's cubscout troop we had hindu, catholic, jewish, and protestant kids, and various races. I see that less in GA and SC.

As for Orthodox, well...we have the oldest permanent settlement of Orthodox in the country... int he St. Augustine area. (New Smyrna Beach I think?) There are several Orthodox churches in the Orlando metro area....my homeschool group did a tour of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church last year. You can google them. One of my husband's good friends is a deacon in the Orthodox church, and if you end up this way could give ou the pointers on all the local parishes.

My quick, general reply would be to stay north of the Orlando area (I mean, anywhere in the state north of Orlando). South Florida is a fantastic place to visit but for a number of reasons I would not (personally) wish to raise a family there. Of course, others will disagree. :D

As with any state, if you locate in a university area you are more likely to have a greater variety of cultural offerings and higher quality of life opportunities for your family.

forgot to add that there area ton of homeschool groups in Florida. In the Central Florida area I am personally a member of Home Educators Network of Central Florida, Mid Florida Homeschoolers, Inspiring Minds co-op, and run Central Florida Homeschool Adventures, for grades 6-9. Oh, and part of group that just does field trips on Fridays. Between the natural parks (Blue Springs, Wekiva Springs, Rock Springs, Deleon Springs), the theme parks, the various cultural events, the Science Center, the Art Museums, the History Museum, etc...we don't run out of things to do.

I've only lived in south Florida and east central Florida, so I don't have a vast knowledge of living anywhere in the state. Oh, and I lived in Tallahassee while in college. I prefer central.

Alligators are only a problem if you have a fresh water source in your backyard, or live on a canal or river (fresh or brackish). If you get lucky you might have a gopher tortoise living in your backyard. We had one for about a year, until he decided to move for unknown reasons.

No. There are certain areas that are more susceptible to sinkholes. Most are more inland than near the coast.

7. Are there any actual towns in Florida? I'm finding only a ton of gated communities and suburbs. HOA's seem to be the rule (and you all know how I feel about HOA's). Um, yes.

8. If you virtual school, could you tell me about it? Ds takes some classes at Florida Virtual School. There are full time options, but I'm not familiar with them.

9. Compared to Georgia and South Carolina, do you prefer FL over these two or would you prefer one of the other two? I lived in rural south Georgia, and the Atlanta area, however I was young and single, so it's hard to compare. My priorities are too different now. :D I will say though, that I didn't like south Georgia. Too backwoods southern for my liking. I loved Atlanta, but I like Florida better. Why? Probably just because it's home to me. No other real reason.

The more rural you get, the less likely it is that you will find a Greek Orthodox church.

forgot to add that there area ton of homeschool groups in Florida. In the Central Florida area I am personally a member of Home Educators Network of Central Florida, Mid Florida Homeschoolers, Inspiring Minds co-op, and run Central Florida Homeschool Adventures, for grades 6-9. Oh, and part of group that just does field trips on Fridays. Between the natural parks (Blue Springs, Wekiva Springs, Rock Springs, Deleon Springs), the theme parks, the various cultural events, the Science Center, the Art Museums, the History Museum, etc...we don't run out of things to do.

:iagree: Even my small to mid-size county, which is east of Katie's, has several hs groups, from various types of religious groups including Pagan, to secular, to truly inclusive. Some have classes and co-ops, some just do park days, others do field trips and social events. If you want it, you can find it in a Central Florida homeschool group.

We have been in Pinellas County for officially 2 years now, but- my husband grew up here and I've been coming here off and on for 10 years. My point-of-reference is most of my in Middle Tennessee- with MT cost of living and MT weather. I am a SAHM with 4 kids. My opinions only apply to Pinellas County/anything on the peninsula. I am not familiar with Tampa at all. Except Busch Gardens. :001_smile:

1. Where do you personally think is the best place to live in Florida? Not St Petersburg or anything below Clearwater in Pinellas County

2. What is the cost of living there like, compared to the northeast or Pennsylvania? I have heard from someone from a very affluent part of New England (not sure where) that it is cheaper down here. Unfortunately for us coming from Middle Tennessee, utilities went up about 1/2, insurance doubled plus some, groceries- not a huge difference for us. Rent here for a decent neighborhood is about 1000 for a 3BR/2B.

3. Are you familiar with the Tampa/St. Petersburgh/Spring Hill area? Opinions? Yes. If you are looking for anything directly ON the peninsula, stay at Clearwater or above. I cannot repeat this enough. We are here for family. If it weren't for them- I would NOT have moved here. It just seems to me a better taken care of area. Everything "down county" seems old and dirty to me.

4. Are you familiar with the Jacksonville area? Opinions? From what I remember of Jacksonville 10 years ago, I would pick there over St Petersburg/anything lower than Clearwater.

5. Are large reptiles a regular problem (aka, is allowing young children to play in the yard a problem or do they have to be constantly supervised because of this)? I've heard a few stories from people who live very close to waterways, but not in your typical neighborhood. Nothing on the news since we've lived here.

6. Sinkholes...I've been told that this is common all over Florida...true? So if your house goes into one, you're just SOL, right? (apparently, Spring Hill is rampant with this issue) Don't think this is an issue in the Bay area. DOn't remember ever hearing anything on the news.

7. Are there any actual towns in Florida? I'm finding only a ton of gated communities and suburbs. HOA's seem to be the rule (and you all know how I feel about HOA's). St Pete is a decent sized town, but extremely congested. If there are HOAs around here, they aren't picky about how curb appeal. :glare:

8. If you virtual school, could you tell me about it? Oh, I wish I could! I just finished registration for all 4 of my children in FLVS-FT, so this is our first year. I have heard great things about the program in general, but also a few bad apples amongst the barrel. I researched and researched trying to find accurate, in-depth first hand opinions, but didnt find much. I have very intention of starting a blog to detail our experience for others. If I do, I'll post about it here at WTM.

9. Compared to Georgia and South Carolina, do you prefer FL over these two or would you prefer one of the other two? I have done most of my worldy" traveling here in the southeast. I would not choose to live in Florida. I would vacation here anytime, but the the overall attitude of people here is just "different" to me- like northern transplants. Not that that is bad, it's just different from what I am used to.

As far as homeschooling is concerned- this is a decent area to be in. there are plenty of activities to participate in and really big great Co-Op. Also, a really large organized group for homeschoolers- PPEA.

If the Greek Orthodox Church is important- you will be very comfortable further north Pinellas County- and all of negativity and complaining wount matter. Can you tell I want to move?

I live near Tampa and have lived in FL for 32 years (grew up north of Orlando)

I like the Orlando and Tampa areas pretty well, although Orlando is pretty crowded and higher cost of living (IMO). Suburbs near Tampa are nice, and I think less congested than Orlando. (we live in Pasco county, and I like it here.) There are quite a few homeschool organizations in the Tampa area.

Never been to PA, but when doing COL comparisons, FL ranks average.

Spring Hill is fairly remote, but I think the general Tampa area is nice. I would stay north of Tampa.

4. Are you familiar with the Jacksonville area? Opinions

Dh is from Jacksonville. It's a very large, spread out city with way too many bridges, IMO

Not a problem. I have no fears regarding my kids playing outside. During the summer, you do hear occasional stories about alligator attacks because this is mating season, but that's very rare. Also, it's never children playing in the yard - it's typically men who were swimming/playing in alligator-infested water.

Again, sinkholes are pretty rare, although this area (west / central FL) is the worst area. Our biggest problem has been keeping a home owner's insurance company because the companies keep "non renewing" the policies in Pasco County. Home insurance is more expensive than the national average.

Not really. It's a bunch a large cities with suburbs surrounding them. You can find neighborhoods without HOAs (we live in one), but they are rarer. You have to look for older neighborhoods, not the newer ones.

8. If you virtual school, could you tell me about it? n/a

9. Compared to Georgia and South Carolina, do you prefer FL over these two or would you prefer one of the other two? I've been trying to get out of FL all my life, so I'm not a good one to ask. Dh just got a job in north GA, so we're moving this summer.:tongue_smilie: I don't like the heat (very long summers) and lack of seasons. Dh and I prefer mountains to the beach, so FL's big attraction doesn't hold much appeal for us.

and some cousins in Lakeland (won't live there though), and my husband has family in Spring Hill, Florida.

Lakeland is perfectly lovely! We have a terrific homeschooling group. Gators are not a problem unless you're near water. I don't let the kids swim in lakes or play near them. If you're worried about sinkholes there are people who can test for that sort of thing. I'm from the north, but now I think Georgia is too cold for me!

We moved here when DH was in the Navy, and fell in love with the area.

Things I love about Jacksonville:

1. There are plenty of things to do, but it doesn't feel like a huge town. (Population is 1.3 million, but it's so spread out that it rarely feels that large.)

2. There are people from many states and various countries here. Our next door neighbors are from Iraq. Two doors down, the wife is a first-generation American from Peru. People one street over are from India. At the mall, I hear Albanian, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Hindi, German... and it's getting more diverse.

3. Homeschooling isn't "weird" here, and there are lots of options -- virtual school, part-time school, co-ops, etc. Local schools are happy to let you participate in sports, gifted programs, etc., as a homeschooler, too.

4. Traffic is manageable -- except in certain areas (near the Navy bases during shift change, etc.).

As for your specific questions:

I've only seen one Greek Orthodox church, but I haven't specifically looked for one. ;)

DD did some virtual high school classes, and it was very easy to sign up and for her to complete the class. Later, she attended the community college as a "dual-enrollment" student for free (we had to pay for books), and that was simple as well (after the first bit of paperwork).

I've never seen a sinkhole, and we've lived here 16 years. I've never seen a gator up close, except for at the zoo. I've seen my share of garden snakes, but they're harmless. It is totally safe to play in your back yard unless you have a pond that is home to a gator. ;)

HOAs exist, but there are plenty of places w/o them.

I like FL better than GA and SC b/c I am turned off by the "who's your kin" stuff in those states. In Jacksonville, most people moved here from somewhere else, so there's less of that "if you're not from here, we won't socialize with you" attitude that we encountered in other southern states.

HIH,

Lisa

No, mommaduck and the ducklings want to move to California where they can swim in the water without worrying about alligators! :D

I have several online friends in Houston. Everyone I've known from TX and everyone I've known to move to TX, L-O-V-E TX!

I do like California, the Pacific Ocean, the mountains, etc. The cost of living is crazy though, from what I understand. DH is more likely to get a regional job on the east coast though and then there is the family issue. I have family in WA/OR/HI, but they are scattered and fairly independent.

I would like to be a day's drive from lowland SC. My dad's side is there and so are half of my siblings. That's good irt everyone except one brother and my dad, so a day away would minimize drama with some, but have more of a relationship with others than we do now. In FL, we have a cousin that just became a single mother and the only child to take care of her parents as they age. We've all lived together before, successfully. Wouldn't want to do that again unless it was just long enough to get a place, but we actually enjoyed living near one another. One of my closest friends from way back in highschool (and we still keep in contact with regular phone calls) lives around Jacksonville (but then, so does her dad/stepmom/half sister...uhm, they would be the reason I would not want to live in the same area...drama; I would love to pack my friend up and move her & her family). Jacksonville is a 3.5hr drive from Spring Hill, so that is cool. Charleston is a day trip...closer to Jacksonville though.

The negative side (Parrothead), we'd be farther from Ginger. But we've been lucky to make it down once in the past year.

I have several online friends in Houston. Everyone I've known from TX and everyone I've known to move to TX, L-O-V-E TX!

I do like California, the Pacific Ocean, the mountains, etc. The cost of living is crazy though, from what I understand. DH is more likely to get a regional job on the east coast though and then there is the family issue. I have family in WA/OR/HI, but they are scattered and fairly independent.

I would like to be a day's drive from lowland SC. My dad's side is there and so are half of my siblings. That's good irt everyone except one brother and my dad, so a day away would minimize drama with some, but have more of a relationship with others than we do now. In FL, we have a cousin that just became a single mother and the only child to take care of her parents as they age. We've all lived together before, successfully. Wouldn't want to do that again unless it was just long enough to get a place, but we actually enjoyed living near one another. One of my closest friends from way back in highschool (and we still keep in contact with regular phone calls) lives around Jacksonville (but then, so does her dad/stepmom/half sister...uhm, they would be the reason I would not want to live in the same area...drama; I would love to pack my friend up and move her & her family). Jacksonville is a 3.5hr drive from Spring Hill, so that is cool. Charleston is a day trip...closer to Jacksonville though.

The negative side (Parrothead), we'd be farther from Ginger. But we've been lucky to make it down once in the past year.

Actually sounds like Central Florida would be good for you....It is not to far from the Tampa area on the one hand, and Jacksonville on the other. Easy to get to both. Plus easy drive to see the oldest Orthodox church landmark in St. Augustine. Lots of homeschooling areas, and everything from rural (Eustis for example) to downtown Orlando, and everything in between. Oveido is popular, Winter Park is popular, but pricier, Clermont has its own winery and is growing, etc etc.

I have lived in Florida since I was in elementary school. I grew up in Orlando, moved to NW Florida in 2003. I like the culture of central Florida, more diverse, more stuff to do. But I personally think NW Florida is beautiful. It takes a little more to find stuff to do, and you have to like nature... because that's it, in my experience at least. Bigger cities might have more stuff, but I live in a fairly small town.

I don't know, cheaper I would imagine. I've never lived anywhere but Florida for longer than a few months. Depends on where you live. There are pockets of expensive towns and cheaper towns in the same vicinity.

No. I have a few friends and family from there. The thing I've found is, generally speaking, Florida is Florida. Removing south Florida from the equation :tongue_smilie: Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando are basically the same. The difference might come in some nitty gritty detail like housing prices or neighborhoods. Someone with more experience can disagree with me. But that's just the way I see it.

Like above, if I were to pick between Jacksonville, Orlando or Tampa, I'd pick Orlando.

We lived behind some woody areas in Orlando growing up. You could here the alligator croaking at night. It wasn't terrifying, you just knew not to go out into the dark. But they aren't an issue, just know your surroundings. If you live near nature, you might have to be more aware. But a suburb, nah.

My grandparents live in the Ocala area, their subdivision is the middle of the forest, they have sinkhole problems. That's all I know about them. I think it has something to do with the root system being removed and the soil sinks... maybe? We don't have any issues that I know of in NW Florida.

? I don't live in an HOA suburb. We are looking at some townhouses in the north of the county, and HOAs seem to be more common. It seems in the newer communities or parts of town there are more gated communities and HOAs. Look at older areas and you'll probably find what you're looking for.

Florida Virtual School is all I know about, and I don't know much.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Florida. After all that, I know. I'd rather live somewhere where the humidity isn't so insufferable. But maybe you're catching me at the wrong time of year.

That's all. Of all Florida, I'm most partial to NW Florida. I can tell you more about this area if that's a consideration. If not, I'll keep my opinions to myself. ;)

Florida is really, really diverse. My parents have lived in Panama City Beach (Northern Florida) for 20 years now, and it's a great place for vacationing. I'm not sure I'd want to live there - especially during Spring Break.

I live in Cape Coral; twin city to Fort Myers (Southwest Florida). I've been here for close to 30 years. I know several have said to avoid anything south of Clearwater, but Lee County is the perfect size for us. It's not "big city" like Tampa/Orlando/Miami, and it's not "small town" like Alva.

I've always thought of Florida as really 3 smaller states within a state. North Florida seems to always get hit with the tropical storms and hurricanes. There's still a sense of the four seasons up there (minus the snow).

Central Florida is the 'tourist' part of the state. Lots of traffic. The weather is more ideal, IMO, as they get the seabreeze to shelter them from the really cold weather, and they generally stay a few degrees cooler than the southern part of the state.

South Florida (I'll include my area in this assessment as well), is what we refer to as the transplant/retiree part of the state. It is the hottest part of the state.

Well, we don't have a State income tax here. Other than that, I can't make the comparison.

I like Tampa well enough, but I like Miami better. Tampa is 2 hours from me, and Sunrise (a suburb of Miami) is 2 hours from me. We head over to the Miami area way more often than Tampa.

I will say Tampa's Zoo is superior to Miami's.

I've only been in Jacksonville one time. It was not a good experience for us (we were at a NFL game, and we're Dolphin fans). LOL

We live on a saltwater canal. We see all kinds of wildlife. Unfortunately, a lot of irresponsible pet owners have released their snakes into the Everglades, and as a result, the entire state is being run over with Ball Pythons. I haven't seen one in my yard, but my pest control guy has caught a few near his house. They are not native to the state. We have alligators, venomous snakes, hideous palmetto bugs (that FLY!), harmless lizards, and Iguanas (also not native to our state).

My kids play outside all the time. However, they know if they see a reptile, they are to come inside immediately. They can tell the difference between a water moccasin (deadly), and a regular black racer. You have to teach them those kinds of things if you choose to live down here. I see it as no different than parents teaching their kids how to avoid bear attacks. It's a part of living here.

I have no experience with sinkholes.

Cape Coral, where I live, is mostly just houses (no HOA). There are a few around here, but they are the minority.

We do not utilize the virtual school option.

Honestly, I would pick South Carolina. I miss seasons, and I'm tired of living in Florida.

That's all. Of all Florida, I'm most partial to NW Florida. I can tell you more about this area if that's a consideration. If not, I'll keep my opinions to myself. ;)

Well, there isn't a single GOC in the entire NW of Florida and that is a huge deciding factor.

Well, there isn't a single GOC in the entire NW of Florida and that is a huge deciding factor.

http://stmarkella.org/

I don't know much about Greek Orthodox, is that one?

And this one: http://www.annunciationgoc.org/index.shtml

We have a Greek festival put on by the Greek Orthodox community (I thought it was...), I think there is a community around here, I'm not sure how big it is.

Edited by KatA

Well before you go, if I can't talk you into Bangor, we will have to meet half way between the two.

I was within a stone's throw of you in June but didn't have your contact info with me.

http://stmarkella.org/

I don't know much about Greek Orthodox, is that one?

And this one: http://www.annunciationgoc.org/index.shtml

We have a Greek festival put on by the Greek Orthodox community (I thought it was...), I think there is a community around here, I'm not sure how big it is.

Yes, it is! It wasn't coming up when I'd search for them on Google Maps. Thank you!

How is the state government in Florida?

well...right now the governor is pretty much the most hated figure I can think of...but he won't be there forever. I'm a democrat, but even a lot of republicans hate him. I wont' go into it, but yeah...he's not popular. Not sure what else you mean by state government.

well...right now the governor is pretty much the most hated figure I can think of...but he won't be there forever. I'm a democrat, but even a lot of republicans hate him. I wont' go into it, but yeah...he's not popular. Not sure what else you mean by state government.

Well, Illinois was known for very crooked politics. Pennsylvania, well, we kinda like the government here. BTW, we don't like either party very much ;) So Dem or Rep doesn't matter to us.

Well, Illinois was known for very crooked politics. Pennsylvania, well, we kinda like the government here. BTW, we don't like either party very much ;) So Dem or Rep doesn't matter to us.

ah, gotcha. Well, Palm Beach County was a haven for "pay to play" politics and totally corrupt, but that seems to be just that county really. The only other controversy recently has been either about Rick Scott, or about the recent effort/lawsuits around purging voter roles. You can google it. But no, not horribly corrupt on a state level.

Well before you go, if I can't talk you into Bangor, we will have to meet half way between the two.

I was within a stone's throw of you in June but didn't have your contact info with me.

Well, if he got a NE regional position, we'd just stay right here. If he's allowed to relocate, we'd head south.

I had to look up the governor. I thought it was still Rubio. When was the election? I guess that shows how much I pay attention. NW Florida is conservative country. Republicans outnumber Dems in our county 3 to 1. (I'm a moderate independent... delightfully indifferent.)

Yes, it is! It wasn't coming up when I'd search for them on Google Maps. Thank you!

Good. :001_smile: I thought there might be a universal list of GO churches and the ones around here might not be of the right 'denomination' for lack of a better word.

I had to look up the governor. I thought it was still Rubio. When was the election? I guess that shows how much I pay attention. NW Florida is conservative country. Republicans outnumber Dems in our county 3 to 1. (I'm a moderate independent... delightfully indifferent.)

Good. :001_smile: I thought there might be a universal list of GO churches and the ones around here might not be of the right 'denomination' for lack of a better word.

Jurisdiction ;) The reason for my being particular about Jurisdiction is really just mild and matter of preference. Mainly, we are already under the GOARCH (Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America). A couple of the people we are connected to are already known throughout this jurisdiction, so it would be easy for them to know who we are and a bit about our background. It would also be easier for me to find out about this or that priest. My children have already done two years of Greek School (except the oldest who dropped out his first year...he did more than two years of Latin though...and one of the younger children who just did her first year). The children have become familiar with Greek culture (they are now "Greek!"...taken from MBFGW ;) ). We have a love and affection for yiayias and papous in our lives. I love that they are a very direct and upfront people; I'm not left walking on eggshells wondering (I don't do mild social cues well; I sometimes do need it spelled out for me). With my background of various churches, I'm not very trusting, but I have a trust with my priests that I've never had before, except maybe once. So, I would rather stay with the familiar.

Edited by mommaduck

Rubio was never governor. Crist was the last one, and Jeb Bush before that. Rubio is a congressman in South Florida.

Rubio was never governor. Crist was the last one, and Jeb Bush before that. Rubio is a congressman in South Florida.

He's a Senator. :)

I'm a conservative Republican, and I loathe Rick Scott as well. He's a slimy, corrupt, pompous snake. I think it goes without saying that he's hated by all sides. LOL

As far as politics go, I think the northern part of the state is rather conservative. Even more so than in my hometown, which was small town Texas.

The cost of living is a bit more than where we were in TX, but it's not so bad. The housing market has been hit bad here though, so you could get a home rather cheap right now.

He's a Senator. :)

I'm a conservative Republican, and I loathe Rick Scott as well. He's a slimy, corrupt, pompous snake. I think it goes without saying that he's hated by all sides. LOL

:iagree: I'm an independent liberal, and I loathe him too. I don't know anyone anywhere on the political spectrum who doesn't think he's a crook and an ass.

1. Where do you personally think is the best place to live in Florida? Depends on what you are looking for. We live in a rural area, which has a lot of pluses, but I wish we were a bit closer to a city.

2. What is the cost of living there like, compared to the northeast or Pennsylvania? I don't know the cost of living up there, but I do know my rural county is pretty cheap.

3. Are you familiar with the Tampa/St. Petersburgh/Spring Hill area? Opinions? I live about 45 minutes from Spring Hill in Citrus county. If you are looking for rural, come up here. If you are looking for more suburban or closer to a city, go just a bit closer to Tampa. Tarpon Springs is nice.

5. Are large reptiles a regular problem (aka, is allowing young children to play in the yard a problem or do they have to be constantly supervised because of this)? Only if you live right by the water. I do supervise pretty closely at the park because it is on a lake, but not at home.

6. Sinkholes...I've been told that this is common all over Florida...true? So if your house goes into one, you're just SOL, right? (apparently, Spring Hill is rampant with this issue) I've lived here for 12 years, and I've only known one person who had a sinkhole by their house. There homeowners insurance covered the cost of having the foundation of their home repaired, though they did have to pay a crazy high deductible.

7. Are there any actual towns in Florida? I'm finding only a ton of gated communities and suburbs. HOA's seem to be the rule (and you all know how I feel about HOA's). I live in an actual town, though a tiny one. There are a lot of gated communities, especially closer in to the cities, but there are also plenty of neighborhoods that aren't HOAs too.

8. If you virtual school, could you tell me about it? We don't, but I have several friends who use Florida Virtual School. It is like being a public school student, but at home. They get their materials from the state and take classes online, with phone conferences with teachers as needed. They seem to like it.

I have lived in all 3, though only FL as an adult. Honestly, I love the weather here (I HATE being cold), but for culture and activities and such I would prefer GA, specifically Savannah. I love the South, though.

That's still a congressman, right? (hoping I didn't misspeak). And supposedly he is in the running for VP with Rommney.

I did hear that, too. I think the term congressman refers to a representative? But I knew what you meant. Someone who is NOT the governor. ;)

My mind was fuzzy last night and I misread this (as in, if I can talk you into moving to Bangor, then we'll have to meet halfway). This morning I was thinking, you know, if we do end up moving next year or the year after, I'll have to get all my mid-Atlantic and NE friends together for a big ole picnic or bbq before moving, just so I could meet ya'll in person once (sheesh, if that sentence didn't just end with both a southern term and a PAism together! At least I didn't say "youse").

Dh grew up in Clearwater and we lived in Tampa for 15 yrs. I miss it very much and we were really happy in Florida. I miss having the beach as a fun and cheap outing to take our large family to whenever, and I miss the balmy nights. We lived in Temple Terrace, a smaller community within Tampa, so we did have somewhat of a smaller town feel, but yes, there are still plenty of small towns if you dont need the city for work.

We converted to Orthodoxy while living there and attended St. Nicholas Antiochian in St. Petersburg. There is a very large Greek church, St. Johns in Tampa and Tarpon Springs is of course famous for its Greek Orthodox roots. Epiphany is a HUGE event every year. When we lived there Tarpon Springs would have still been considered a small town, not sure about now.

LOTS of older neighborhoods and home to pick from with no HOAs. We never had one.

Your gator question made me giggle. If you live on a river then I would not let little ones play unsupervised (goes without saying anyway), but gators stay by the water. If you live in an average neighborhood you wont notice any gators lumbering about.

(Just made me remember when dh and I were first married we lived in an apartment on a river. I would sit on our screened porch in the early mornings and watch the gators slowly drift down the river. Lovely times)

LOTS of home schoolers in Florida with minimal intrusion. We were supposed to have dc tested every year ( I think) but we pretty much did what we wanted.

Our family misses Florida, except for the humid summers and heavy traffic. Good luck with your decision!

I did hear that, too. I think the term congressman refers to a representative? But I knew what you meant. Someone who is NOT the governor. ;)

I THINK congressman would refer to both a senator and a representative...since both compose congress. But I'm totally guessing. (and admit I used the term because I wasn't 100 percent sure if he was a senator, lol.)

Oh, and you don't have to do testing..I don't know anyone that does. If you register as a homeschooler you CAN test, but the most common option is to have a portfolio evaluated by a certified teacher. The homeschool community is FULL of retired teachers that will do this for a small fee (about 25-35 dollars), and then they sign a form letter saying your child is "making progress commensurate with their ability." No one in the school system ever sees the portfolio. I have a good friend that does mine for the price of a cup of coffee :)

The other option is to enroll in an "umbrella school" and then you are a private school student, not a homeschooler. EAch umbrella is different, but some are free, many are secular..many just require you send in attendance quarterly....and there is no definition of what counts as a school day, so this is not hard to meet. That is the least intrusive option, but means the student is not automatically eligible for school sports and such at the public schools.

Edited by ktgrok

1. I've only lived in NW Florida (Panhandle). However, after visiting relatives in central and south Florida, I'd still choose the Panhandle.

2. NW Florida seems to have a lower cost of living. I'd assume, after staying some time up north, that it is less expensive than Pennsylvania.

3. My aunt lived many years outside of Tampa. We'd visit. It was nice, but I wouldn't want to live in Tampa. It's a bit too busy for me.

4. I've never lived in Jacksonville, but I have never heard anything good about it from those who have.

5. If you live near a pond, lake, river (even tiny river), or creek, you can expect there to be a gator. If you don't see one today it doesn't mean there won't be one tomorrow. This goes for all of Florida. Once when we were traveling to central Florida, we stopped at a fast food restaurant. In the parking lot there was a drainage ditch with water - and a gator. I've seen them all my life here in all sorts of waterways. There are also plenty of snakes. Just educate yourself on which ones are poisonous and which aren't.

6. The last sinkhole that I've personally witnessed was probably back in the early 90s. They are here but not as common as one would think.

7. There are plenty of towns, especially in the Panhandle. If it is a newer neighborhood there is probably a HOA. Older neighborhoods or rural areas don't have them. The rules vary.

8. Florida Virtual School is nice. Some students take as many classes from there as possible, and others just take one or two. It's up to you as to whether you use it or not. It's free. Even if taking classes from there you will still be required to fulfill the Florida homeschooling law. Florida also has the Bright Futures Scholarship. It is based on academics or academics/vocational courses. It will pay 75-100 percent of tuition based on courses completed and test scores. We went through Crossroads Christian School to get ours as they did all the paperwork for us. Also, in some counties students can take classes (as many as they want and in whatever subject area) at the local high school or do sports/extra-curricular activities.

Another thing about Florida is that there is no state income tax. I'm not sure if PA has one or not.

Links for you (I didn't read the whole thread so not sure if others posted them):

Florida Virtual School

Florida Bright Futures Scholarship