Menu

I need some nice comfy sandals that will hold up

DH and I are going somewhere this summer and I will be walking a lot outside. I usually just wear Teva flip flops but I think I want something a bit nicer and not sporty. Maybe leather? I really dislike shopping in store or otherwise for things like this.

You might not like the looks, but Birks are wonderful. If you're wanting something a bit dressier but still very comfy, Clarks are well worth the $. I have flat feet so I have to be careful with shoes and Clarks have always been great on my feet. I found a pair of last year's sandals for $7 at Shoe Carnival!

I don't think I have ever owned a pair of Birkenstocks. I don't mind the look. I am starting to not even care what my shoes look like. I remember one year DH and I went to Las Vegas. You can always tell the mothers and wives from the singles based on their shoes LOL

I wear Birkenstocks and am very happy with them, but if I didn't wear a Wide I would buy a pair of Naot sandals. I had a pair years ago, when I could still get away with a regular width (my feet grew during all three pregnancies, sigh) and they were my favorite sandals ever.

You might not like the looks, but Birks are wonderful.

I wore my Birk sandals on the one full day my husband spent in downtown Chicago when we visited there several years ago and by the end of the day my legs were DYING. I was limping, literally, barely able to walk, when we got back to the train to head back to my friend's house, with the biggest pain being in my shins on both legs. Owie! I think the deal was that they were the slip-on type with no back strap. They may have been a little loose so that with every step I took, I naturally lifted my toes to kinda hold the sandal on. By the end of the day the muscles related to this were shot. It hurt so bad.

ETA -- I'm not slamming Birks because I'd actually like to get some more (haven't worn them for some time now). It's more that maybe they're not made for all-day walking. Yes, I could wear them all day, with some walking around, but this was purposeful walking all day -- several miles.

Edited by milovaný

I've been happy with Merrel sandals. Tevah has some that are a little dressier than the ones that look like tire treads, lol. I also have Clark and Born, but Merrel and Teva have been the best for me, especially when there's a huge amount of walking (such as four days at Disneyland :) ).

Keen has a "sandal" that is more lightweight and feminine than, say, the Fisherman-style (or whatever it's called), but I've only seen that in stores, not on-line.

Your useless information for the day: I cannot wear Birks on a long-term basis because I need a higher heel. Also, I need a narrow width, which is hard to find. :D

DH and I are going somewhere this summer and I will be walking a lot outside. I usually just wear Teva flip flops but I think I want something a bit nicer and not sporty. Maybe leather? I really dislike shopping in store or otherwise for things like this.

Birkenstocks are very comfortable for me. I walk in them all day.

Thanks for all the ideas! I am thinking about these. I just need to decide on a color! I only one to take 2 pairs of shoes with me and a flip flop style works better than a slide for me. Not sure why.

If you are going to wear them all day, you might want a style that doesn't have a piece of leather in between your toes.

I like Birks. This summer, I switched to this style, and I love them. They don't scream, "Birks!" quite as loudly, but still have all the comfort. I have a few other pairs, and rotate, but those are my current favorite. :)

These are what I had for 3 years. So comfy and I did a lot of hiking in them. I felt they were a little less ______ than the normal Arizona birks. :001_smile:

If you are going to wear them all day, you might want a style that doesn't have a piece of leather in between your toes.

I have Clark flip flops and while they are generally comfy, I could not comfortably walk in them all day. Ouch!

I wear Birkenstocks and am very happy with them, but if I didn't wear a Wide I would buy a pair of Naot sandals. I had a pair years ago, when I could still get away with a regular width (my feet grew during all three pregnancies, sigh) and they were my favorite sandals ever.
Another Naot lover here. I have this pair: Mikaela, and they work great for my fairly wide feet. I have an older pair, too, with a back strap (the Gerda), but apparently they don't carry it anymore. Edited by Maus
found the link I wanted