Menu

Can you recommend a 'family friendly' dog?

We used to have a tiny toy poodle (5lbs) but have been animal-less for several years. We're interested in a medium-sized dog, fairly low-maintenance grooming wise, great with kids, a breed that tends towards being calmer in adulthood and doesn't have super long hair/major shedding- we have a medium sized yard and are fine w/ daily walks, but don't want a huge dog who needs to walk for 1 hour each day :)

The kids are interested in a cocker spaniel, DH & I are interested in a labraoodle mix, but I"d love to hear other suggestions.

:)

Thanks!

Laura

I am a HUGE supporter of american cockers if they are going to a family that takes their dog out and about with them. If my dogs aren't showing I keep them shaved down 2-3 times a year except the ears. A good groomer would know how to do it right and make them look like a cocker, just minus the body hair. My 7 year old saved up and bought her first dog last year and picked a cocker as well.

They bond soooo well with their family. They're big enough to handle the rough and tumble life style that families with kids bring, and yet small enough that they aren't in the way and they aren't eating a person out of house and home.

I would NOT recommend the parti colored cockers as they have completely separate lines from the others and are much higher strung. If you get one from a breeder make sure they have their dogs eyes and hips screened or at least have a two year genetic contract (shows that they stand behind their dogs).

I would pick neither of your two choices, labradoodles require loads of exercise...many shelters are overburdened with them bc they were too much for their owners...hot breed...too overbred. I grew up with cocker spaniels...they can be very tricky...good breeder...decent...otherwise they can come with a host of problems (skin, vision, organ diseases). I do believe blends of cockers are better choices...cockapoos are sweet and have less genetic issues. Honestly, our best family dogs have been the mutts from the shelters...pick a puppy that weighs less than 6 pounds at around 8 weeks, more likely to stay under 40 pounds...the shelter can help you as welll....our most recent rescue...part Boxer part?? Our older dog has a buddy!

dog007.jpg

We used to have a tiny toy poodle (5lbs) but have been animal-less for several years. We're interested in a medium-sized dog, fairly low-maintenance grooming wise, great with kids, a breed that tends towards being calmer in adulthood and doesn't have super long hair/major shedding- we have a medium sized yard and are fine w/ daily walks, but don't want a huge dog who needs to walk for 1 hour each day :)

The kids are interested in a cocker spaniel, DH & I are interested in a labraoodle mix, but I"d love to hear other suggestions.

Thanks!

Laura

Every labradoodle, golden doodle, and other mixed breed labs I've known are high strung. We had the sweetest pure-bred chocolate lab for 14 years, but she didn't settle down until she was about 4.

Each breed has die-hard fans who will have great stories, and others will say the opposite.

Find a dog at a shelter/pound/rescue who is RIGHT for you - you'll know. We have been big-dog people forever, but when I saw my sweet little rescue pup she was 10 weeks and 2.5 pounds. SO different, but I knew immediately she was perfect for us. She's now 9 months, and still a great match! Calm, sweet, extremely affectionate, funny....won the heart of my "no more dogs" husband who has never had a dog in his bed in 51 years of life. Guess where my pup sleeps? :lol:

Honestly, just start looking at dogs, and you'll know. Gut instinct is so important!

Every labradoodle, golden doodle, and other mixed breed labs I've known are high strung. We had the sweetest pure-bred chocolate lab for 14 years, but she didn't settle down until she was about 4.

Each breed has die-hard fans who will have great stories, and others will say the opposite.

Find a dog at a shelter/pound/rescue who is RIGHT for you - you'll know. We have been big-dog people forever, but when I saw my sweet little rescue pup she was 10 weeks and 2.5 pounds. SO different, but I knew immediately she was perfect for us. She's now 9 months, and still a great match! Calm, sweet, extremely affectionate, funny....won the heart of my "no more dogs" husband who has never had a dog in his bed in 51 years of life. Guess where my pup sleeps? :lol:

Honestly, just start looking at dogs, and you'll know. Gut instinct is so important!

I agree that you should check out the rescues. If you have a couple breed types in mind, you can often find something similar at an animal shelter.

And from my experience labs, and any cross thereof, are extremely hyper until they are around 2-3 years (or longer).

We had a standard poodle. He was tall, but only weighed about 55 pounds. We adopted him when he was three. He was a "retired" show dog, so he was very well behaved. He was a great dog and was wonderful with my children! He didn't shed, but he did get his hair cut more often than I did. :001_smile:

Our 18 month old Labradoodle, Daisy, has been a perfect family dog. She's on the smaller side for a Labradoodle, is totally placid and non-aggressive, and has been the most wonderful friend for our boys. She can be a bit naughty (the poodle intelligence?), and I have to have her groomed and trimmed professionally fairly regularly as she has the very curly poodle fleece that matts very easily.

Before my kids were born, I worked in a dog kennel. People often come over and tell me my dogs are so calm and obedient, and ask me to suggest a breed. I can't suggest a breed, but I can give you some advice for choosing your dog, whether it be a breed or a mutt.

Go to visit the dog. First thing you want to pay attention to is, how does the dog react when you first come into its view? In a shelter-type situation, you want the dog that looks at you and looks interested, but does not immediately come FLYING up to the front of their cage. A friendly but calm dog will approach the front of the cage to greet you, but calmly (puppies a LITTLE more excited, of course - but even with puppies some are calmer than others! You can still tell what an adult dog's temperament will be by visiting the puppy, just be aware that the younger the puppy is, the more excited they naturally are - you still want the calmer one of the litter!).

In a home situation, ask the current owner that the dog be loose in the home when you arrive. Does the dog freak out when you ring the bell? Does the dog have to be leashed or put away in another room before you can enter? Does the dog growl or hang back or hide? You don't want any of those dogs, you want the one that comes calmly to the door and is interested in this new person, but not ridiculous about it.

You don't want the dog that hangs back or seems fearful - they might 'get used to you', or they might not. On the flip side, the dog that is a spazz when you first meet it will probably always be a spazz - you want to get a dog that calm but friendly when you FIRST meet it. Training can help control these tendencies, yes, and a well-trained dog can learn to overcome all kinds of obstacles, but why put yourself through the hassle of trying to train a dog to ignore its natural temperament? Choose a dog that has the personality you want from the beginning and you will have a much easier time with just ordinary training, and a lot less heartache.

My other piece of advice is be prepared for this to take awhile. I looked at over 200 dogs before I found my second dog! :D The dogs with good personalities are snatched up fast! Do NOT take your kids with you to select a dog - they should meet the dog before you decide, of course, but the least emotional adult in your family should be the one doing the initial screening to find a good candidate first. Most shelters will let you put a hold on a dog to make sure no one else can leave with it while you go back home and get the kids to come meet it.

Hope that helps!! I have two dogs, a lab-border collie mix and a lab-boxer mix. There ARE calm lab mixes out there, but they are few and far between :) And I did not walk into the shelters thinking I was going to get a lab mix, it just happened that way. I have seen good, calm dogs of many, many breeds. Be persistent - you'll find the right dog, just keep your standards high!

Bichon frises are great family dogs. Some of them are a bit yippy, but they're super sweet and don't shed. Our bichon mutt gets very worked up and hyper when someone new comes to the house, but other than that she's just a sweet dog that sits on your lap or at your feet all day long. She's such a sweetheart.

My grandmother had a very sweet cocker spaniel about 10 years ago. If DH didn't react to shedding dogs (he gets hives on his arms - though it's been less severe since we got our dog, and he's never reacted to our dog), we might consider a cocker. They're really wonderful dogs.

We have had lab/lab mixes and they are great dogs but in that puppy stage until they are 3-4 or more.

Our current dog is a rescue---found tied to an abandoned trailer with a litter of puppies. She is an Australian Shepherd mix. She is SUPER calm in the house. I don't think she has ever barked in the house or ran, etc. New people come over and she sniffs them or walks over to say hi and then lays down. She doesn't even bark when people come to the door/up the drive (wish she did that). On the flip side, outside she can be full of energy. We have a little hobby farm and she RUNS around the farm, chases the cats (just for play), and acts like a spazz at times.........and then lays down and doesn't move for hours.

I don't know how she would do though without being able to run around the farm. She also is about 5-6 years old so past that puppy stage.

We adopted a boxer a couple years ago. I have never known such a sweet, tolerant, happy dog as our Abby. She has been WONDERFUL with our kids, and is a joy to own..

Happy doggie 'shopping'!

:iagree: Our last dog was a boxer mix and we have a registered boxer now. They are the sweetest, most loving, smartest, coolest, amazing dogs I know. Oz (our current dog) is a wild, crazy man when you let him go run in the yard, but is quiet and calm inside. He likes walks, but the heat can get to him very easily, so we don't have to go far. He wishes he was a lap dog, but we don't allow him on the couch.

I really can't say enough good things about him!

Our 18 month old Labradoodle, Daisy, has been a perfect family dog. She's on the smaller side for a Labradoodle, is totally placid and non-aggressive, and has been the most wonderful friend for our boys.

Our Goldendoodle is also a wonderful family dog. He is a best friend to all my children, and I love having him around. He needs to be groomed fairly often, but he doesn't shed. He also is a great walking partner, though he does need a fair amount of exercise. He keeps me in great shape! :)

I second and third and probably fourth the boxer recommendation!

My neighbor has a pair of boxers and they are just the most loving dogs ever.

We have a pair of Labrador retrievers but they're much bigger than the type of dog you're looking for! (One is 75 lbs and the other one is 110 lbs).

Well we have 2 cocker spaniels and 1 cavalier/cocker mix. We love all of our dogs, but the cavalier king charles spaniel is the best family dog. All of the dogs are great, but we often describe our cavalier as happy. She is just happy all the time. It doesn't matter if she is snuggled with you on the couch or playing ball. She just wants to be near her family and to be loved. She does have longer hair, but not nearly as much hair as our cockers. I have had many cockers and I thought I would always have at least one cocker, but I am quickly becoming a huge cavalier fan.

Janet

I'll add another recommendation for boxers. I am not a dog person (the rest of my family is) and even I like her:). She is great with the kids, super friendly, smart, and just a really good girl. She has enough energy to get out and play ball, etc. with the kids, but isn't crazy in the house.

We have a labradoodle. We bought her as a puppy from an acquaintance. We visited more than once to meet her and her siblings and her parents. The mom was/is very sweet and non-excitable, just walked up to us and sniffed a little, and didn't seem to mind us picking up the puppies and stuff.

We first liked Kida when she was 2-3 weeks old (it was shortly before Christmas time, I believe). There were only 4 pups in her litter, 3 black and one blonde, and I really thought I would want the lighter color one. However, DH picked her up and she wasn't wiggly, wasn't mouthy (trying to bite on us or anything), and just put her head right up under his chin and relaxed. We went to visit again on New Years Day, and they were running more and he had them outside while we were there. Again, she was the calm one. The little blonde one was super-excitable, bowling Pink over, and Kida would come up to us and sit by us to be petted or picked up. So that was the day we picked her specifically. (We ended up getting 1st pick.)

So anyway, she has always been a calm, sweet dog. She'll be two the end of November, and she lays around the house a lot. :tongue_smilie: But she also follows the kids around and checks on them to see what they're doing, let's Pink lay on her (she's a bigger labradoodle, too, about 70-80 lbs), and loves to play outside. She's never jumped up on people and all I have to do to keep her out of a room with no door (like if I'm mopping the kitchen or something) is LEAN the baby gate against the doorway. It doesn't even have to be in the doorway (nor has it ever needed to). She just doesn't bother with it. When she was younger and we wanted to keep eyes on her at all times for housebreaking reasons, we put it at the hallway so she couldn't go into the back half of the house (where all the bedrooms are). When people come to the door she gives a 'warning' bark so we know they're there, and then goes up to them and sits down next to them so they'll pet her :lol: (great watchdog ha). We don't allow her on the couch or any furniture. She absolutely loves attention but isn't pushy about it (unless you count walking up and sitting and staring at your feet when you're sitting on the couch and occasionally putting her paw on your foot to remind you she's there. :D

(Oh, and we have several friends with boxers and they were/are all very hyper as puppies. VERY. They all said they took a lot of training and maturing to become less so. Just something to keep in mind if you go that route.)

Anyway, you'll get wild ones and calm ones in every breed. I don't know anything about cockers, but I know that we went with the labradoodle for the shedding reasons. We get her hair trimmed about every 3 months back to short (like a lab). Now it's been a little longer because the groomer was super busy, but I can't wait to get it cut again - it's SO hot outside! So today she looks like the first picture (it's about 4 months of growth), and we get her trimmed to look like the second. :)

Thanks!

Laura

I think checking out the shelters is a great idea, too. We found our giant lab (lab crossed with something very large) there. I didn't want a dog, but dh asked me to come and see him. When I saw that 125 lb dog lying on his back "smiling" while my kids crawled all over him I knew he was the dog for us. He was lovely and calm and we all agreed that he was "smaller" than the Jack Russell we used to have. He died last year :(

Now we have a Bugg (Boston terrier crossed with a Pug). She's a lovely dog. I'm not even a dog person and I really like her. The puppy stage was hard but short. She's fun and will play with the kids, but she's also very calm. She doesn't require long walks or excessive training in order to be calm. She comes with us everywhere and is a great traveller. She doesn't shed. She doesn't need to be groomed. She doesn't eat very much. She's about 25 lbs and is a very sturdy dog.

Amen to the boxers. Amazing family dogs!!!! Absolutely love them!

We got our two dogs from a rescue, and both are mutts. Marshall is a bichon mixed with a terrier of some kind, and Mojo is a Boston Terrier mixed with whatever dog breed is insanely fast! :) I do agree that you can find an amazing family pet at a shelter if you follow some of the tips that were posted here. (Great advice - I can't remember who gave it though!)

(Oh, and we have several friends with boxers and they were/are all very hyper as puppies. VERY. They all said they took a lot of training and maturing to become less so. Just something to keep in mind if you go that route.)

We got Oz when he was 1. He had been kept mostly outdoors with 2 other boxers and was WILD. I reserved the right to return him if he was too much for the kids. He calmed down within a week - if he knows what's expected of him, he's good. He does like to box - they come by their name honestly - and we had to establish very early that dh is the only one to play with him like that. I was trying to show the kids that he wasn't being mean, just playing, and he knocked me flat on my rear. :lol:

Thanks!

Laura

I love our labradoodles. They are great with kids, were not difficult to train, near no shed(I might find a lost hair from one of them every few months,honestly).

You do have to have them clipped or clip them yourself. Ours get a hair cut 2-3 times a yr.

They both have the best personalities. They are just so fun. Did I say they love kids! Actually they LOVE people. I will forever have the picture of Christmas a couple of years ago. We had 9 kids and 7 adults in our living room and it was a bit like caos. I suddenly realized that our blond doodle was laying in the middle of the floor, watching everything that was going on. He wasn't into anything nor was he bothering anyone, he was simply in the middle of all the people that he loves and watching what was going on.

I highly recommend them every chance I get.

We have a mini poodle (not toy) and she is about 14lbs full grown. She was an adult rescue and has been a perfect fit for us. Rare shedding, prefers sleeping most of the time and the perfect size. She is sturdy enough to not be accidentally hurt with light play with our toddler and small enough to be picked up/carried if needed. I do shave her at least once a month in the summer since it gets pretty hot here. With a good trimmer it takes 10 minutes, so its no big deal. Much better than $30-$60 for grooming that often.

I would pick neither of your two choices, labradoodles require loads of exercise...many shelters are overburdened with them bc they were too much for their owners...hot breed...too overbred.

Really? You have labradoodles at your shelters? We rarely get them around here and when they do come in, they are adopted lickety-split. I should send families your way.

Despite their issues, they are still in high demand around here. The only way we got our labradoodle was that the shelter where dd and I volunteer need foster families and we ended up with Bear. I guess most people around here expect them to act like labs and remain mischievous puppies for about 4 years. While I agree that they are not carefully bred, I have yet to meet an unhappy labradoodle owner.

I do agree that sometimes the best dog is a shelter dog.

I am a HUGE supporter of american cockers if they are going to a family that takes their dog out and about with them. If my dogs aren't showing I keep them shaved down 2-3 times a year except the ears. A good groomer would know how to do it right and make them look like a cocker, just minus the body hair. My 7 year old saved up and bought her first dog last year and picked a cocker as well.

They bond soooo well with their family. They're big enough to handle the rough and tumble life style that families with kids bring, and yet small enough that they aren't in the way and they aren't eating a person out of house and home.

Okay, so they don't require you to feed them a lot of food....BUT, they are foodies in that they are always interested (shall we say) in finding more to eat. The first thing our vet said when he met our cocker was, "don't let him eat too much and get overweight." As we left we met a man coming in with a rather overweight cocker. Since then we have met quite a few with weight problems. However, liking food can be a real plus for training. They will do anything for a treat!

Not sure about the "aren't in the way" part. Ours can be like velcro at time b/c he just loves to be with his people.

I would NOT recommend the parti colored cockers as they have completely separate lines from the others and are much higher strung. If you get one from a breeder make sure they have their dogs eyes and hips screened or at least have a two year genetic contract (shows that they stand behind their dogs).

I vote for the American Cocker! We love ours. He's bright and learns easily--great at agility & obedience and cute too. Ours is a rescue and was extremely shy at 4 months. We worked a lot on socializing him and agility has given him more confidence. He's 5 now and while he was a ball of energy as a puppy, he mostly lays around now (unless Dh gets out a ball).

I like cockers b/c they have enough energy to be playful, but (after puppyhood) will easily settle down next to you on the couch. Dd has an English Springer Spaniel and he is like a cocker with a constant supply of caffeine! We thought about a Cavilier King Charles Spaniel, but opted not to b/c of their prevalent heart problems and b/c they are just too small for us.

I groom the cocker myself. I would NOT describe the grooming as low-maintenance, unless you pay someone to do it. :D With a little practice and a good pair of clippers, you can learn to do it yourself. I do a cross b/t a pet cut and a show groom. They need frequent thorough brushing and combing if you want them to have hair and are not clipping them. Otherwise they will end up with mats. I always say that Ds's cocker gets a mat as soon as I get done grooming and turn my head. To me, it's all worth it, b/c they are such great dogs.

If you get one and can get your Dc involved in a 4H dog club, your kids will have a wonderful experience and learn a lot.

Here's a close up of my avatar which is a photo of Ds's American Cocker from earlier this year and an agility practice photo from this spring. See how much fun you can have?

post-2427-13535087015896_thumb.jpg

post-2427-13535087015896_thumb.jpg

Just want to throw a vote for a Pug into the mix. They aren't huge but not tiny and super fragile either. They require very little in the way of grooming. A quick walk around the block or chasing a ball in the backyard is plenty of exercise. Their main goal in life is to be your companion, they were originally bred to be a companion, nothing more. Ours is now 7 years old and has always been great with the kids. Even when we brought our youngest home from the hospital our pug was careful around him as a baby and will put up with anything our kids dish out. My daughter has taught him to jog along side her while she rides her bike or scooter around our block (about 3/10 of a mile total) and he loves it. One trip around and he's spent though. :lol: He's also a big cuddler and loves to hang out laying on our feet under the table when we're schooling. Some pugs shed quite a bit but we haven't had more than what I would consider typical shedding. Now our Shar-Pei mix is another story, when she drops her coat you'd swear we own a yak.

Cocker spaniels and dalmations are two breeds I would NEVER get- they are high strung and tend to bite children.

Basset hounds are cute, very low energy dogs. They do tend to smell, and bellow when they bark, but if you don't mind frequent baths they might be a good option.

Greyhounds are great with kids, don't shed much, are very trainable, and if you adopt an older one they are lower energy.

Puggles, vislas, bulldogs, pugs, and rat terriers are other good, lower energy short haired options that are good with kids.

Cocker spaniels and dalmations are two breeds I would NEVER get- they are high strung and tend to bite children.

I'm growing weary of hearing/reading this. Not to start a war over breeds here, but Cocker breeders have been working hard to restore the reputation of the American Cocker....and our Cocker has NEVER bitten anyone, adult or child. Not even the rude people who have walked into my home and told me my dog will bite them just b/c they saw what breed his is. All they have to do is give him a treat and he's their friend and ready to curl up on the couch with them :D.

If you adopt through a rescue organization, no matter what breed, they will tell you which dogs are not good with children. Lots of dogs of many different breeds do not interact well with children.

And, under the right circumstances any dog can be a biter. Oh, and my kids were great friends with their uncle's Dalmatian. Of course, they were also taught proper respect for dogs.

Most Cockers I would classify as medium energy dogs, English Springers, Australian Shepherds, Border Collies and several others are usually higher energy breeds. Many other breeds mentioned here can be suitable family dogs and fit the OP's description. I especially like the idea of a Pug.:001_smile:

There are several questions that may help you narrow your choice down to a few breeds:

1) Would you prefer a small, medium or large dog when it is full grown?

2) Do you want an active/playful, energetic dog or more a lap dog?

3) How frequently will the dog be left alone (some breeds do much better than others)?

4) What kind of time and space will the dog have to expend energy?

Pitbull or Pitbull mix. My rescue is the sweetest dog. Short hair and not a big shedder. Rarely barks. He is great with the kids and all their friends. He is thrilled to be part of the gang when everyone is over. He loves to go on walks and see people and other dogs. He is also content to hang in the yard. He is very helpful when I weed. I show him what I want pulled out and he pulls it out. If a burgler came I think he might let him in and show the crook where all the valuables are as long as the criminal played with him.

I really miss our English Springer. She was a medium sized dog, had enough energy to be ready to play and play with us, but didn't tear up the house, relatively short hair, and a great kid personality, and got along well with our other pets.

Springers are like any breed... buy from a good breeder, as their genetics have gotten wonky (hip, blindness, diabetes in old age).