Menu

So what is your vote for the worst movie?

You guys often recommend a good movie. But what movie would you say is the worst movie that you have ever seen? What movie is really bad and yet you watch it anyway?

I'll start...

Dh and I watched "I Know Who Killed Me" with Lindsey Lohan on cable last week. It was sooo bad and yet we had to keep watching it. Dh said it was like a train wreck-you had to keep watching. The movie so wretched.

Another movie(s) to up on the worst list are the Jaws sequels. Jaws 2 was fine but 3 & 4 were absolutely embarrassing. They had a marathon of the movies the other night and I watched some of it because I was caring for a sick kid. Part 3 was in SeaWorld. What was the park thinking to allow the killer shark to use their park as a set? SeaWorld employees were dropping left and right. Part 4 actually had the shark following the widow of Chief Brody from the first two movies. He followed her plane to the Caribbean and only attacked her family members. The shark was like a hit man bumping off the members of that family.

So what movie do you put up for the worst movie award?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... I've got to say the third Pirates of the Caribbean was pretty bad, considering how good the first two were. I got completely lost and couldn't figure out what was going on. And then I fell asleep.

Disney's Camp Rock was also pretty abysmal, imo. I sat through it with my 12 yo neice, and the acting was pretty awful.

Worst move ever, though? Not sure about that one.

Worst in what way? Acting? Plot? Writing? Just generally yuck?

Off the top of my head:

Se7en (Perhaps there was good acting, good plot, good writing. I don't know because it was so absolutely creepy that dh and I had to shut it off on about the fourth deadly sin and wished we had sooner.)

Pulp Fiction - Just all around BAD, IMO. I don't like Quentin Tarantino movies and I don't much care for John Travolta. I wish we had walked out of the theater.

Napoleon Dynamite - There's over an hour of my life I'll never get back. I wish I had been doing something more productive, like, say, surfing the net. Stupid, stupid, stupid, and not the least bit funny.

Dumb and Dumber - See above and add gross to it.

Gosh, there are just so many. Perhaps we should also have a thread about actors/actresses and directors/producers we avoid. That's a huge list in itself. My family thinks I'm waaaaay too opinionated about actors and actresses in particular.

Without a doubt, It's Pat. I'd alway rather enjoyed the sketch because I'd had a roommate who was Pat, down to the shirt and khakis. However, this movie was so repulsive, my reaction was visceral. I felt sick and dirty. My friend and I kept watching only because Mitch Pileggi (from the X-Files) was in it. Unfortunately, he wasn't in the film until the final minutes, and then only for a brief time. Grrrr.

"Wicker Man" and "Silent Hill" both rank up there as the worst. I love Nicholas Cage and Sean Bean, but goodness what were they thinking with these movies.
I recommend the original Wicker Man. I've no idea why they moved it to America and took out all the underlying mythology for the Nic Cage version.

The Light at the Edge of the World with Yul Brynner. Got stuck in a movie theater with that one way back when, and have been traumatized ever since.

Pulp Fiction also creeped me out - I stopped watching about 1/3 of the way in.

And, at UCLA some director came to show us his not-yet-released film, starring Natassija Kinski, - "Exposed" - and it was soooo bad we students were mocking it and pissing off the director before it was done. I just checked at IMPD site and it looks to be as bad as I remembered.

Well, I did watch more than two hours of Alexander. I can't imagine there are many people in the world who watched *more* than that much of it. Imagine me sitting there with my mouth slightly open, cringing at the subtly increasing awfulness...

There are a lot of movies that were just so awful and boring that I've thankfully forgotten them. Solaris was really dreadful. Solaris and Alexander were both movies that *intended* to be wonderful and artistic and were just bad. There are plenty of other movies out there that are self-consciously bad, and in a way, that makes it more tolerable. Dh watched all of "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" and it was certainly one of those kinds of movies. I stayed in the room with him, but worked on some project or other -- I couldn't have stood it otherwise.

I am admitting my ignorance here but dh and I watched Orlando 10 years ago and still remember the agony. The acting was good but the story was way out there. I understand Virgina Woolf is like that but WOW! Never. Never. Again.

I agree that it depends on how you define bad.

For my dad, the threshold for measuring bad movies is Howard's End which we all saw together in the theater when I was in high school or college. So far, he has yet to find a movie worse than Howard's End, but I think a few have been judged as bad as. It's become something of a family joke.

The equivalent movie for DH and I is The Royal Tennenbaums. (sp?)

We didn't make it through Napoleon Dynamite either, but we had low expectations going in, so it didn't seem so bad.

I know I've started to watch some REALLY bad movies, but the one I remember that I didn't like, yet watched the whole thing, was From Dusk Til Dawn. I guess I was disappointed because I did like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

Most all the movies Madonna has been in, Swept Away, Dick Tracey, Whose That Girl, etc. Even all the movies Guy Ritchie has made ((after)) he hooked up with her. Revolver was awful! I wanted my 2 hrs back! I can watch most anything with Jason Statham in it, but this was just retched.

Something with Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Costner, can't remember the name. UGH, it was just horrible.

I had to look up the title "Rumor Has It". It was a horrible movie if I'm remembering it. Didn't the Costner character sleep with 3 generations of the same family? Didn't the Aniston character first think that he was her real father? Then when she discovered that he wasn't her dad she slept with him? How can you switch gears from thinking someone is your dad and then have an affair with him? Yucko

There are many. It depends what kind of 'worst' we're going for- stupidest plot, worst acting, most boring, most cheesy, etc.... some off the top of my head are:

Dick Tracy with Warren Beatty. We watched this with another couple on a New Year's Eve long ago and I literally leapt off the couch to go do my friend's dishes just to get away from it. I don't even remember what was so bad about it, but I couldn't stand another minute of it.

Any Batman movies, but especially the one with Danny Devito as the Penguin. Spiderman and any other 'superhero' movies drive me up the wall, as well. They are always the 'must-see' summer blockbuster, but you couldn't pay ME to see them.

I'll think of more....

My husband and I own both Dumb and Dumber and Napoleon Dynamite. We actually sat through Napoleon Dynamite the first time with confused looks on our faces. Then, later in the day, I said, "Hey, I think it was supposed to be a comedy." We watched it again and liked it. Go figure.

I second Borat as the most horrible thing I've ever seen and I'll add Rocky Horror Picture Show and the sequel to Ace Ventura as also-rans. Oh, and any old movie like the original War of the Worlds in which a woman's primary acting consists of screaming and cowering. When women scream or whine in movies, it makes me livid (I was relieved when Padme finally died in Revenge of the Sith because I wanted to kill her myself for whining).

I had to look up the title "Rumor Has It". It was a horrible movie if I'm remembering it. Didn't the Costner character sleep with 3 generations of the same family? Didn't the Aniston character first think that he was her real father? Then when she discovered that he wasn't her dad she slept with him? How can you switch gears from thinking someone is your dad and then have an affair with him? Yucko

Yes, exactly! Yuck, Yick, Blech!

::twitch::

I'd forgotten about The Royal Tennenbaums. Wasn't Gene Hackman in that one? He's on my actors to avoid list. He grates on my nerves a little--something about his voice and the way he acts exactly the same in every role.

The War of the Roses (Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas)

Knockaround Guys (Vin Diesel, John Malkovich, and others)

Heat (Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Val Kilmer)

The Bodyguard (Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston - They go together like oil and water. Absolutely no chemistry between them and nothing else redeeming about the movie.)

Fight Club - Good acting, interesting plot twist. Whatever. It was just NASTY!

Terms of Endearment - three of my least favorite actors (Jack Nicholson, Debra Winger, and Shirley MacLaine) in a story about a dysfunctional family and terminal illness. Completely depressing.

Oh, and that movie where Alan Rickman has an affair with a teenage girl who turns out to be his daughter. :ack2:

Wow, I missed that one...yuck.....and I hated Alan Rickman's Closet Land. (I do really like some of his movies though)

I love Helen Mirren, but she's in the 3 worst movies!

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover (had to leave the theater):001_huh:

The Comfort of Strangers (Gross, Dumb, Boring):glare:

Exalibur (what a hoot! this is so bad I enjoyed it):tongue_smilie:

My vote for worst movie is "Weather Man" with Nicholas Cage who is a sentimental fave for me since way back in "Valley Girls". That movie was the most painful thing and I had to watch the whole thing to make sure it never got any better. All the commercials made it seem like it was comedy of some sort and it was just depressing and horrible. ugh!

"LOL I'll just vote "all Kevin Costner movies".

I have to agree with the KC movies. He never interested me much. I did like the Robin Hood movie but I didn't particularly like *him*.

Another actor that I've never cared for is---Tom Cruise. Please don't throw any tomatoes. He always seemed so wooden and bloodless to me.

Even Dances with Wolves, Bull Durham & Field of Dreams? I'm not K.C.'s biggest fan but those are movies I enjoyed. No pressure to join the Costner fan club or anything....:tongue_smilie:

Even those, especially those. I fell asleep in the theater watching Bull Durham & Field of Dreams. He's just so boring. Opposite of exciting.

I got that movie with Jennifer Aniston from Netflix recently, because I thought I was in the mood for some fluff. That's got to be one of the most idiotic storylines I've ever been a victim of. (of which I've ever been a victim, I know, I know).

Even those, especially those. I fell asleep in the theater watching Bull Durham & Field of Dreams. He's just so boring. Opposite of exciting.

:iagree: He's got the most monotonous voice of any actor I know. Except maybe Ben Stein.

Se7en (Perhaps there was good acting, good plot, good writing. I don't know because it was so absolutely creepy that dh and I had to shut it off on about the fourth deadly sin and wished we had sooner.)

Dh & I both were just mesmerized by Se7en. We thought it was brilliant! Adding it to my Netflix right now, it's been too long.

Pulp Fiction - Just all around BAD, IMO. I don't like Quentin Tarantino movies and I don't much care for John Travolta. I wish we had walked out of the theater.

We got called out of the theater by our babysitter. Glad I didn't miss much.

Napoleon Dynamite - There's over an hour of my life I'll never get back. I wish I had been doing something more productive, like, say, surfing the net. Stupid, stupid, stupid, and not the least bit funny.

My dd16 loves this movie. All the kids get together and watch it over and over again. I've tried, I really have. I don't see anything funny.

Spaceballs

Howard the Duck

Something with Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Costner, can't remember the name. UGH, it was just horrible.

Anything with J.A. is bad. I loved her on Friends, but I can't sit through her movies.

Another vote for ALL Kevin Costner movies. I've never seen one I liked. He is on my must avoid list.

We are no longer friends.:glare:

:lol: Why y'all hatin' on Kevin? I loved him in Field of Dreams and The Upside of Anger.

I also really liked The Royal Tennenbaums. I found it so amazing that the one thing all of the kids needed was a relationship with their dad.