Menu

If you sew, knit, crochet, or anything else I've missed...

Fiber Arts! :)

I learned to sew as an adult. And knit. And, well, everything else because I was an un-enthusiastic kid. :P

I sew clothing, dolls, baby carriers, bags, and anything else that I want done custom but is out of my price range, lol.

Oldest DD can sew (some), knit fairly well (but doesn't enjoy it) but what she truly enjoys is embroidery. Peek at this:

Doodle Stitching

Second DD loves all things YARN and she is learning to spin on a drop spindle. Eventually I see us spinning because yarn is my thing too.

Third DD loves yarn and drawing. I think her "thing" will be sewing as I can see her doing a lot of applique and fabric artwork.

Do something that inspires you. If that's quilting, do that. If you put all the effort into something, learning it, mastering it, time, money, energy... You should LOVE the finished project.

Mastering soapmaking and herbalism took about six years, lol. Soapmaking is therapeutic for me.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/10796557

I love soaping too. And, making green swirls is one of my favorite colors! :001_smile: Your soap is beautiful.

My favorite thing to crochet is play food for my girls. Sadly they are just about too old for it now. Here are some pics:

WOW' date=' Rene! Those are adorable!

I used to make dd's dresses and skirts when I could make a dress out of a yard of fabric. Now that she's taller I don't make them very often. I mostly make purses and gifts. The easiest purse patterns I've found are by Melly & Me, which I've only seen for sale on Etsy. When someone wants to get into sewing, I always recommend starting with those patterns. I also have a habit of taking apart things at the seams, copying the pieces onto wax paper, and then replicating them. If you have a facebook account, I just made this photo album public so you can view some of my past projects there. Around Christmas time, I make crayon totes and sell them, which usually earns me just enough money for the materials to make gifts. I gave up selling them online because shipping prices are crazy, but here are a few I've sold locally. :001_smile:

I have yet to learn how to crochet and knit. Actually, I can't really do anything crafty other than sew. That's why every time I fall in love with Waldorf Education, I stop myself because I know I couldn't do all the adorable crafty stuff. :tongue_smilie:

When I sew (every few years), I get the machine out and set up and go to town and do a lot of things, one after the other... sometimes baby clothes, or curtains, quilts... but, then I get done and put the machine away for a loooong time (as in a few more years!).

I have been learning crochet the last couple of years and have had fun making small things... like a turtle with a vest for a son who collects turtles... and dishcloths, scarfs, etc. I tried slipper socks, but lost interest right away in that...

I've done some plastic canvas projects, years ago... make a darling play house and furniture for one of my little girls... made barbie furniture, too... would like to do a couple of tissue box holders in the colors of my living room and bathroom because dh always buys tissue boxes that clash... and we have to have tissue here with our allergies!

I made lots of crochet sock monkey hats last year for Christmas presents, this year I am going to try to make several sock monkey cup sleeves to give out.

I made a few cross stitch Christmas stockings... I love them, but that goes slow and I get tired of it...

I've made a couple of afgans and would like to make more, but am making myself finish other things first!

My crafting days started with cross-stitching, but it is so "out", I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. I made an adorable teacup wall-hanging a few years ago, but it just was too outdated to hang up and I ended up giving it to Goodwill.

I am not a fan of scrapbooking.

Awww. That's always so sad. One of the Christmas dresses I made for dd was such a bizarre size (She was, like, 22 lbs and the height of a 3-yr-old) that there really was no one I could give it to. It broke my heart when I gave it to Goodwill. I've kept many of the kids' handmade things but I just can't keep them all.

I don't scrapbook either. I LOVE scrapbooking paper for other projects though (cards, etc.) I'm a scrapbooking paper junkie but I don't scrapbook.

what do you make? The only sewing type craft I have ever done is cross-stitch and I made a few things. I sort of enjoyed it, but I didn't develop a passion for it. That was years ago. I would like to learn something, but I'm not sure what. My aunt does everything under the sun, including belonging to a spinning guild. She lives about 1.5 hours away but I could make a day trip out of it. But I need to decide what I want to learn. I love the idea of quilting but I'm afraid that will be too ambitious. But what would I make with other types of sewing projects?

And what do you call crochet and knitting? Is that technically still sewing?

signed,

sew clueless :tongue_smilie:

Crocheting, knitting, weaving and spinning are called "fiber arts." I'm a passionate knitter. I knit sweaters, lace shawls and wraps, hats, gloves, mittens, scarves, animals/objects (google "amigurumi") bags, purses, skirts....you name it. I think knitting is the most versatile of the fiber arts. I'd suggest joining Ravelry (it's free!) and prepare to be inspired!

astrid

You mother has alpacas? I'm green with envy! Would she like to adopt me?;)

Oh, she is very well known for adopting strays! ;) I really wished I could be closer to her and be more directly involved with both the fiber end and the gallery end. It is something I always keep in the back of my mind and keep hoping dh will land a job that would send us a bit closer.

Knitting, I've made socks, sweaters, scarves, shawls, socks, blankets, hats, toys, bags, washcloths, towels, swiffer pads, dresses, headbands... I think that's it. I've only done crochet for a little while, so I've done a bag and I'm working on a blanket. I've also done a couple of amigurumi.

I cross-stitch sporadically; I have done mini samplers for each month and each season, but I often have a hard time finding things that I want to do and can make into a project that I want.

I don't sew much at all, but MIL gave me a sewing machine for Christmas, so I should learn, right? Rebecca is really into sewing and I think she was more excited about it than I was! She can also knit, crochet, and cross-stitch. Sylvia hasn't been too interested in learning anything, but I might teach her anyway. ;)

Edited by Mommy22alyns

Those are adorable! Is that amigarumi? That's one type of crochet I really like, but have never tried.
Thank you! As far as I understand, amigurumi is a Japanese art and the patterns all have a certain "look" - like animals with big heads, for example. These are just crocheted play food. I've found the patterns on Etsy or Ravelry.

A couple of my favorites are KTBdesigns and CrochetNPlayDesigns. :)

Thank you! As far as I understand' date=' amigurumi is a Japanese art and the patterns all have a certain "look" - like animals with big heads, for example. These are just crocheted play food. I've found the patterns on Etsy or Ravelry.

A couple of my favorites are KTBdesigns and CrochetNPlayDesigns. :)

Also, in amigurumi you crochet in a spiral. You know how typically you get to the end of a round, join, then chain 1 or 2 to go "up" to start the next row? In amigurumi it's just a continuous round -- you keep count of the stitches to keep track of which row you're on.

BTW, if you don't crochet there are some adorable patterns for sewing felt food -- they look especially nice in wool felt.

Thuja is a good basic pattern and very much like the patterns in Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks. (I love this book, btw.) It's done with worsted weight so it's fewer stitches and generally goes faster. It's cuff-down with a heel flap. All my favorites. :D

I've also heard Silver's Sock Class is supposed to be good. Can't remember if that's cuff-down or toe-up. It's not one I've done.

I have a knitting friend whom I think mentioned that book...

Everyone's pictures are so awesome!

I appreciate all the votes for Ann Budd's book. Maybe I'll go on and order it.

I should say that I used to cross stitch and smock a LOT. I also used to sew my clothes as well as construct my own smocking. I have not done any of that in ages. As I said, I really enjoy knitting. One day I want to try crochet as well.

But first....SOCKS!

For you knitters, I'd love to know your needle preference :)

I'd love to knit. I knit a legwarmer once...then put it down for awhile and forgot everything I'd learned. So dd used it for a doll sleeping bag. My older sister will be here for a month this July and I'm hoping to re-learn from her.

I do love to sew though- mostly for dd and gifts. My favorite thing to sew is swimwear- I love sewing up a few new suits each March/April!

Hi mama! I am a seamstress! I sew custom children's clothing, and I used to sew for a local children's boutique. I used to be in a knitting group (which was super fun), but everyone had babies(except for me) and it's on "hold" for now. Sewing is the most worthwhile for me b/c I can turn out pieces a lot faster than I could ever knit or crochet. I don't consider knitting or crocheting "sewing", I consider it needlework.

what do you make? The only sewing type craft I have ever done is cross-stitch and I made a few things. I sort of enjoyed it, but I didn't develop a passion for it. That was years ago. I would like to learn something, but I'm not sure what. My aunt does everything under the sun, including belonging to a spinning guild. She lives about 1.5 hours away but I could make a day trip out of it. But I need to decide what I want to learn. I love the idea of quilting but I'm afraid that will be too ambitious. But what would I make with other types of sewing projects?

And what do you call crochet and knitting? Is that technically still sewing?

signed,

sew clueless :tongue_smilie:

I know how to knit, crochet, embroider, tat, cross-stitch, sew.

I knitted my DD a hat and scarf this year. I crocheted 3 shawls for a play she was in. I am knitting a scarf for my MIL.

I've knitted one complete sweater is the most complicated thing I've made. I've knitted 3 afgans.

I'm going to try to knit more gifts this year. We have friends who are having a baby in Nov so I'm trying to decide - booties or a hat or both.

It helps to learn when you are young, but there are a lot of more sophisticated things I've learned as an adult. There is a knitting show on my PBS station that has wonderful ideas.

I crochet, knit, sew (clothes-Japanese patterns are incredible!) and one day when I have time, I'll quilt.

If you want to see some gorgeous crochet, this month's Vogue Knitting is all on crochet and it's gorgeous. Or, check out Sophie Digard stuff.

Also, the Japanese crochet patterns are far superior to ours. :D

How does one interpret the Japanese patterns? :confused:

I do crochet, sew, crafts, and hand quilt a log cabin pattern. I like it as I cannot sit still and need something to do. :D

I should say that I used to cross stitch and smock a LOT. I also used to sew my clothes as well as construct my own smocking. I have not done any of that in ages. As I said, I really enjoy knitting. One day I want to try crochet as well.

But first....SOCKS!

KnitPicks, hands down!

http://www.knitpicks.com/knitting.cfm

How does one interpret the Japanese patterns? :confused:

No personal experience here but I've heard on a couple of knitting podcasts that chart symbols for crochet are pretty standard worldwide. That if you can knit from a crochet chart you should be able to interpret Japanese pattern charts. Not so much with knitting patterns, though.

Another Knit Picks fan here. I love the Harmony needles. But to save money and since I don't like Magic Loop I get my 16" circs--Clover brand--from Joann. With a coupon of course. My Joann even has Clover dpn's in small sizes for sock knitting. I like wood and bamboo needles and have found that metal needles make my hands hurt.

I have heard good things about Addi Turbo and Signature as well.

I knit, make soaps and other bath products. I am trying to learn embroidery.

My favorite needles are my Addi turbos, I am one of those continental speed knitters. I also like needles made from birch. (Brittany makes some http://www.brittanyneedles.com/bkhook.html) neither of those make scraping noises which is important to me. :lol: I don't like using the turbos to knit lace but otherwise those are the ones I grab.

Edited by Sis

Knitting, crochet, spinning and weaving are part of the fiber arts. I spin and knit and am working on learning to crochet embellishements.

With spinning, I spin yarn for trim and hope to get my skills to the point that next summer, I can buy and finish a fleece. Card it, spin up the yarn, ply it, dye it and then knit myself the coat of my dreams. I've got pictures on my blog and the project is tagged "A Coat from Scratch."

As for knitting, I make hats, mittens, fingerless mitts, headbands, baby sweaters, sweaters (trim & embellishments for these), skirts, socks (lots of socks), toys, and basically what ever I fall in love with.

The cool thing about knitting is once you learn how, it is easy to learn new stitches because there is usually a video on youtube. I started small making little squares and many people start with washcloths. Once they get knit and purl down, a class in making socks is invaluable. But socks can be addictive and so much fun.

And the collecting of yarn is so much fun. There is so much variety in fibers out there: wool, cotton, alpaca (my favorite), angora, milk, soy, bamboo, etc. And the dyers--just Wow!

Also there is Ravelry.com which is a great place to meet other people, find patterns, yarn, ideas, etc.:001_smile:

I'm probably in the minority but I love wood needles. They are soft and warm to work with, and not as slippery as metal which for me is a good thing. I tend to knit way too tightly with metal needles because I'm constantly worried the stitches are going to slip off. The flip side is that they're not as durable as metal, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives. YMMV.

Another vote for Ravelry to help get you started. So many free patterns and lots of inspiration!

That if you can knit from a crochet chart you should be able to interpret Japanese pattern charts. Not so much with knitting patterns, though.

I wonder if you meant to say, "if you can CROCHET from a crochet chart". Or are you saying that you need to b e the type of knitter who can look at something as different as a crochet chart, and can then re-interpret that as knitting directions.

I love knitting and think the continental way is the bomb. I also love the feel of bamboo needles- we had a friend in NM who had a knit shop and I invested way too much in needles and specialty yarn. Her name is Sharon Stone (she says she's the Sharon Stone who keeps her clothes on:lol:) She still sells hand dyed, hand spun wool, etc on etsy here and is a GREAT hand craft teacher. If you want to know HOW to do anything with fiber arts, she a great go-to person. She homeschooled all 4 of her kids and her oldest got a B.A. from a N.Y. art institute.

I'd start with simple stuff- hats, scarves and move on to socks- which are so fun and a lovely gift.

I love knitting and think the continental way is the bomb. I also love the feel of bamboo needles- we had a friend in NM who had a knit shop and I invested way too much in needles and specialty yarn. Her name is Sharon Stone (she says she's the Sharon Stone who keeps her clothes on:lol:) She still sells hand dyed, hand spun wool, etc on etsy here and is a GREAT hand craft teacher. If you want to know HOW to do anything with fiber arts, she a great go-to person. She homeschooled all 4 of her kids and her oldest got a B.A. from a N.Y. art institute.

I'd start with simple stuff- hats, scarves and move on to socks- which are so fun and a lovely gift.

Gorgeous stuff! Thank you for the link.

Jane (another bamboo needle user)

Also, in amigurumi you crochet in a spiral. You know how typically you get to the end of a round, join, then chain 1 or 2 to go "up" to start the next row? In amigurumi it's just a continuous round -- you keep count of the stitches to keep track of which row you're on.

That's mostly how these patterns are done as well, you don't join but just keep going until you get to where you need to change something or do more shaping.

But first....SOCKS!

I just started knitting socks last month. I used this pattern Easy Peasy Socks for First Timers from Ravelry. It uses worsted weight yarn so the sock knits up quickly.

I really like this pattern, too - Tidepool Socks this was my second pair of socks and I did make a mistake but I don't care. I am knitting socks! Yay!

I love my Addi turbos but for knitting socks I am using wooden dpns. I want to learn the magic loop and two-at-a-time methods in the future. Have fun!