Menu

Yesterday's Classics & Ambleside

cin

I was looking at this yesterday and am debating on whether or not it's worth the price. (Page down a bit for the 'special deal') We do all have readers; I have a Sony and the girls have nooks. So it is very practical in that sense.

We are doing some Ambleside, mainly for reading. But MFW is our main History. So I'm just not sure. So befuddled over whether or not if we should buy them, if we would use them.

What do you guys think?

Well, I can't tell you if you'd actually use them or not.:)

I will tell you that if you join the mailing list, they do a special a few times a year for $99.00

HTH!

Kim

That, my friend, makes my day! And I will probably be able to get that past DH with NO objections at all!

I've started shelling out the money lately for better quality e-books that are "free" elsewhere. Just like hardcopy books are of different quality, so are e-books.

:iagree:

I have the Yesterday's Classics collection and love it. It includes illustrations and an interactive Table of Contents. The quality of these over the ones available for free is significant.

Another great option is Heritage History. Tons of books that are available in the public domain, but have been reformatted for e-readers. I have been very impressed with the quality of these as well!

Thanks so much! I'm going to browse around on the History ebook site. that looks like some good books.

Alot of them are available on Baldwin or Gutenburg, but when I download them they are difficult for me to read sometimes. My beginning reader and my ESD daughter really don't need the extra challenge right now.

If I can hold out and get them for less than 50 cents each, well, YAHOO!!

I downloaded The Insect Book (or some such title) and have been SLOWLY reformatting it. I'm only a quarter of the way through it. There are SO many returns that I can only get 2 or 3 lines per screen. So I'm deleting returns. Which I cannot seem to do with a mass find/replace because then the paragraphs are all gone. It's very time consuming and tedious work.

Something really turns me off of e-readers for kids and I think it is the fact that kids like to turn pages (adults too). There is something theraputic about finishing a page and turning the page. Also, holding a book and feeling the number of pages that you have read on the left side and the number of pages that you have remaining on the right side gives a tactile awareness of where you are in the scheme of the story.

I think that I would rather have a wall full of books rather than an e-reader full of books (and believe me I am the kind of person that hates clutter but I just can't get over how important the sensory input that a real book provides).

Something really turns me off of e-readers for kids and I think it is the fact that kids like to turn pages (adults too). There is something theraputic about finishing a page and turning the page. Also, holding a book and feeling the number of pages that you have read on the left side and the number of pages that you have remaining on the right side gives a tactile awareness of where you are in the scheme of the story.

I think that I would rather have a wall full of books rather than an e-reader full of books (and believe me I am the kind of person that hates clutter but I just can't get over how important the sensory input that a real book provides).

First of all thank you for bringing up this topic. I plan to get both Yesterday's Classics And Heritage History collections when I get some stuff sold.

I can see what this poster is saying but, since these books would cost thousands of dollars to get in my actual hands my kids can use an e reader. Better to have then in digital format than not at all.

I am becoming very far sighted and cannot read a book without glasses now. But I can still read a computer screen, and books printed out 8 x 11 and spread out on the floor.

For fiction, I do fine with a computer ereader that uses flipping pages. I cannot read properly with scrolling text though.

And when I need to seriously study something, I need it printed out one sided and enlarged and spread out on the floor. I don't need to fully use textmappingfor myself, I do use this technique with my students.

Text+mapping.JPG

I am trying to preread all the books I use with my students now, and often do not use books I have purchased. Sometimes I edit the books. E-books are an important resource here. We use a mix of everything.

I have a LARGE resource library with many dictionaries and sets of hardcopy encyclopedias and we use those all the time :-) There is a time and place for ALL the forms of books and neither replaces the other.

Thanks! Maybe I'll be able to afford them by the time they go on sale :-0 It's a deal, BUT...

If you have a Kindle, many of the Yesterday's Classics are available for $1.99 on Amazon. I personally would rather buy as we read even if it costs a bit more. And Heritage Store has all of their books online for free for PC use. We have to read them off of their website, but it works just fine on my Kindle Fire. The formatting and pictures are perfect!

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I just cannot get excited about reading books on a computer!! I love when the package comes, and we open it up & there is our new book. I love the thrill of the library book sale or the garage sale, and the excitement of bringing home boxes full of our "finds". I wish I our budget would allow us to get all of these books, but since they won't, we'll just pick & choose.

If you have a Kindle, many of the Yesterday's Classics are available for $1.99 on Amazon. I personally would rather buy as we read even if it costs a bit more. And Heritage Store has all of their books online for free for PC use. We have to read them off of their website, but it works just fine on my Kindle Fire. The formatting and pictures are perfect!

This! I do use my Kindle to read aloud to Ethan. We're currently reading Alice in Wonderland and recently finished up Pinocchio.

A lot out-of-copyright books are free or very cheap on Amazon. These books are also very easy to find and are pretty cheap at thrift stores. I pass them up all the time b/c I know I can get them for free as an ebook.

I am another who also loves reading physical books. I do more reading of physical books than ebooks, though I enjoy ebooks also.

Another reason to choose buy-as-you-go is that I can preview each book and see which copy I like the best. If the free copy looks good, I'll definitely go with that. If there's something special about the .99 one, I'll go with that. But usually I have no problem with the free books.

Here you go...

http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/yc_signup.html

I agree, free is nice but the formatting is horrible. I'd rather pay a little bit of money, but be able to easily read it.

Kim

:iagree:I am in the process of deleting many of the free ebooks I have downloaded. I am seriously considering buying these. Thank you for the link to the sign up page.

They are not always only $1.99 but even if they were 225 books X $1.99 = $447.75. Significantly more than just $99 ;). I think that for what you get it is well worth the price to just buy them, even if we don't end up using all of them.

My friend got hers at Christmas time and loaded them on three Kindle's bought as presents for her kids. When she mentioned it I said the same thing, "but most of these titles are available for free even though you need to hunt down the titles". Now, months later and after having downloaded some of these so called "free" books, I agree! It's a great deal :)!

Edited by Guest

Very well said!

Your Welcome for the link. They usually have the sale a few times a year. I bought an e-reader and plan to purchase the set at the next sale.

I do prefer paper books to e-books. However, the clutter is taking over my house. I have 3 bookcases full of school books AND 13 boxes under my bed of school books. Also, we like to go to the park on nice days to let my little one play. It's nice to be able to grab the e-reader and head out instead of hunting all over the house for the books.

Kim

This is amazing timing. I just found out about Heritage History this morning from a Cathy Duffy review, and I already knew about Yesterday's Classics. And I'm in the process of purchasing several years worth of MFW. So I also have been wondering whether to buy them or hunt each one down individually on some free sites like Gutenberg. We are missionaries, and much as I like the idea of my kids holding actual pages in their hands, we need some cheap/free ways of getting more books, and buying and shipping everything we would want just isn't feasible! So the practical wins over the aesthetic. :) Thank you for the tip about the mailing list and $99, etc.

Thanks so much for posting about these books! I've signed up for the newsletter and will be on the lookout for that deal in the future.

If only I could get the whole set of Thornton Burgess books for a decent price! My 4 year old twins absolutely LOVE them as bedtime stories and I would love to pass them down to them to read to their children someday. :) Right now, ebooks are what we have for this set.

Brenda

The Baldwin Project.........http://www.mainlesson.com/

Check out some of the titles there.

The mainlesson site is the free site run by the publisher Yesterday's Classics. The publisher has the books free online, but you can also buy the printed books or the ebooks, which are formatted quite nicely for the Kindle.

I bought this package with the $99.00 code, which makes it less than a dollar a book. It was worth it for me, because I was tired of downloading the free books from Amazon and google books that were really poorly formatted. These are actually pdf's, but they work really well for my Kindle Fire, some of the books even have color illustrations. We used AO as our main curriculum last year, so that made it worth it for us as well. It is also so nice to have all the books right there on my Kindle, much more portable.

They have great customer service as well, the coupon code had actually expired when I tried to use it, but I wasn't aware of that. They got back to me right away and honored the discounted price anyway. Great company.

• 1 month later...

I have the Yesterday's Classics collection and love it. It includes illustrations and an interactive Table of Contents. The quality of these over the ones available for free is significant.

Another great option is Heritage History. Tons of books that are available in the public domain, but have been reformatted for e-readers. I have been very impressed with the quality of these as well!

Thanks for posting that! :)

Well, I can't tell you if you'd actually use them or not.:)

I will tell you that if you join the mailing list, they do a special a few times a year for $99.00

HTH!

Kim

We *love* their books!

I have seen it and almost purchased them myself, but did not have the kindle yet.

Thanks for sharing the $49 deal. I will be ordering this set. ;)

Edited by blessed3x
finished reading the post!

We *love* their books!

I have seen it and almost purchased them myself, but did not have the kindle yet.

Thanks for sharing the $49 deal. I will be ordering this set. ;)

No problem! I like to pass along when I find a good deal. You can get it in epub or kindle format. You can also purchase one format and e-mail them to send you the second format at no extra charge.

Kim

THANK YOU!!!! :hurray:

Okay...but now how do I download them onto the Kindle Fire????? I tried downloading onto my computer and then e-mailing. I tried downloading directly. Am I going to have to buy a sync cord? Or not use the Kindle version?

I don't know! I have a Nook. Did you try e-mailing Yesterday's Classics?

I noticed that it says for circe conference attendees...is it open to everyone now?

I think it is open to everyone now. I received an email from a friend about it who had asked an employee at Yesterday's Classics if she could share the link with others. She said to go ahead!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if you can put these on more than one device? I have an iPad, but will be buying DS a kindle for his bday, so I would want them on mine and his.

You should confirm this, but it said in their e-mail that you could pay the $49 price and get both the Kindle version and the EPUB version, so... I would guess yes.

Does anyone know if you can put these on more than one device? I have an iPad, but will be buying DS a kindle for his bday, so I would want them on mine and his.

You can put them on as many of your devices as you want, but you'd have to ask about the different format. They will give you the link to the other one, but you have to pick one format when you purchase.

Yes, you can put them on as many devices as you want! And they will email you both versions at no extra cost.