Menu

s/o Of the Salon Thread - do you Cut your Own Hair?

Since finding a good salon is so hard to do - do you cut your own hair and if so how do you do it without making it look terrible?

I need a trim desperately, but I can't find a salon with a private room locally. I've been considering trimming it myself but I'm afraid of screwing it up.

Then don't do it! Keep trying for a private room. Ask others where they have their hair cut. Some of the chains like Fantastic Sam's will take you in a back room if you ask. Or see if there are any ads in ethnic markets. Indian stores always seem to have a lot of ads for beauty services. Or get together with some friends and have a hairdresser come over and cut at your house. (This one is tricky, though -- you have to know a hairdresser. You can't call a salon because they want to get their cut of the hairdresser's money.)

I've been cutting my own hair for years now. The first time I cut it way too short, but have since learned how to cut it properly. Do it a little at a time and do simple cuts. Over time you'll learn which way your hair lies and the best way to trim. Also purchased Vidal Sassoon hair cutting kit with several attachments which has been quite helpful.

Well, I did a few weeks ago. It was going to be a SUPER busy week and I didn't want to have to brush it that week. So *chop, chop, chop* went my little scissors. It does look awful, but it's always up in a ponytail anyway so it doesn't really matter

I have done my own for a little over a year. My favorite and only hairdresser was very hard to schedule and it seemed everyone else I've tried screwed it up so it kept getting put off. Then I kept trimming it while waiting and it went well, so I decided to do the full cut, as I am cheap. I did mess it up a bit to be honest. I got confused with looking in the mirror and figuring out which side needed trimmed. Suddenly I realized that I was trimming the wrong side, thus why one side was longer then the other every time! I still cannot believe I did that. My hair is extremely thick, long and layered though, so it was not terribly noticeable. It did upset me that I ended up cutting way more than I wanted, but it is what it is. I haven't cut it since then, as it hasn't needed it, however it is likely that I will do it again myself. I googled videos and such, started conservative and go from there. (I decided to go off on my own and kept cutting which is when I got in trouble!)

Dh has cut his own for several years. Ds got a few "real" haircuts when he was small but we've done his since then. Dd1 and dd2 have always had homemade cuts.

Edited by soror

Pull the hair back in a pony tail, tight to your scalp at your hair line/nape. Make sure all of your hair is laying flat and straight in the pony tail. Then pull the hair tie straight back to however long you want your hair and then chop it off right below the hair tie. It will give you a gentle A-line and a few layers. To give myself extra layers, I do a second pony tail a little bit above the hair line and pull it to where I cut the bottom hairs then chop.

That is what I did but my hair is also wavy and never completely flat. I did several layers though as my hair is super thick and fairly long(mid-back).

Since finding a good salon is so hard to do - do you cut your own hair and if so how do you do it without making it look terrible?

I need a trim desperately, but I can't find a salon with a private room locally. I've been considering trimming it myself but I'm afraid of screwing it up.

WHy do you need a private room?

A wig salon or one that caters to cancer patients might have one, also some barbers might- I worked for one who had a private room to trim the hair of gentlemen who didn;t want anyone to know they wore a toupee. Barbers can cut ladie;s hair too, just just usually don't.

(snipped) Or get together with some friends and have a hairdresser come over and cut at your house. (This one is tricky, though -- you have to know a hairdresser. You can't call a salon because they want to get their cut of the hairdresser's money.)

careful of your state laws- many hairdressers WILl do this, but in my state, it is illegal.

Well, I did a few weeks ago. It was going to be a SUPER busy week and I didn't want to have to brush it that week. So *chop, chop, chop* went my little scissors. It does look awful, but it's always up in a ponytail anyway so it doesn't really matter

too busy to brush your hair? That must have been some week! (said nicely- truly not being unkind at all...) Curious: if you put it in aponytail anyway, what difference did the length of your hair make?

Pull the hair back in a pony tail, tight to your scalp at your hair line/nape. Make sure all of your hair is laying flat and straight in the pony tail. Then pull the hair tie straight back to however long you want your hair and then chop it off right below the hair tie. It will give you a gentle A-line and a few layers. To give myself extra layers, I do a second pony tail a little bit above the hair line and pull it to where I cut the bottom hairs then chop.

This is what I do... actually, my middle child does it for me. I have my hairdresser's license, so I just talk her through it. I;m too lazy and cheap to go to a salon. I only go to a salon when I get a free haircut for donating 12+ inches.

Anyway, I am a hairdresser, an d depending on your hairstyle it might be better to have someone cut it for you. If you can't find what you're looking for in a book or on youtube, let me know what you're trying to do and maybe I can walk you through it.

I know a few salons allow their employees to set their own hours. If there is one in the area, maybe they have an employee who cut you after hours. I have a friend with a daughter who has sensory issues. The sound of the cutting implements (ie electric shears) is too much for her. The mom and daughter get their hair cut on the same day, just after regular salon hours every 6 weeks.

too busy to brush your hair? That must have been some week! (said nicely- truly not being unkind at all...) Curious: if you put it in aponytail anyway, what difference did the length of your hair make?

Oh my gosh, that was a super stressful week. I was catering a film shoot, so I had to plan the menu, go buy all the food, store all the food, take Pigby to his charter school (110 miles of driving on those days), return food because I got too much, plus make and deliver all the food while keeping three young children alive.

My hair was down to my waist and super curly. It tangles EXTREMELY easy when long. I chopped it chin length. It doesn't tangle as easily. Brushing when long took a really long time. Brushing now takes about 10 seconds.

I cut my own because I got tired of paying other people to give me horrible cuts :lol: Seriously, my head must scream "give me a mullet!!"

I have super thick, curly-frizzy hair. There is a lot of forgiveness if I get it uneven. But what I do is flip it upside down (while wet) and brush it all straight out. Then I'll trim straight across. It gives some decent layers. Then after it dries, I cut any curls that look funny.

The downside is: once you get used to cutting your own hair, you may be more likely to chop it all off on a whim. :tongue_smilie:

I know a few salons allow their employees to set their own hours. If there is one in the area, maybe they have an employee who cut you after hours. I have a friend with a daughter who has sensory issues. The sound of the cutting implements (ie electric shears) is too much for her. The mom and daughter get their hair cut on the same day, just after regular salon hours every 6 weeks.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Also, maybe you can find a small, 1-operator salon? Just like a private room, only much larger. :D

careful of your state laws- many hairdressers WILl do this, but in my state, it is illegal.

Yikes! I certainly didn't mean to suggest anything illegal. Definitely don't do that!

Near me, there are legally employed hairdressers who have their salon in their home. It's set up properly. This was also the case in the state I grew up in. The cuts are usually cheaper, and it's much more private.

I can't find a salon with a private room locally.

We used to have someone come to our house to cut our hair. It was someone who had cut my hair in a salon, I asked her if she would be willing to come to my house instead and do my entire family at once (and later we added 2 more families as well).

Maybe check with a local beauty school, perhaps one of the students would welcome the opportunity to come to your house and practice.

usually I don't.

But, when money is tight....MY DH DOES IT!

He's really good at it too. He cut my 14 yo dd's hair a week or two back and she loved it. In fact, one of my friends heard that he would trim my hair. They were financially pinched and she didn't have money for a hair cut. We were going over there for dinner, and before we left she called and asked him to bring his scissors. So he cut her hair for her before dinner :)

But he hates cutting women's hair. I wish he'd do it more, since we have 3 girls and it would save us big $$$.

yes, he is a pretty talented guy, engineer, farmer, painter, hairdresser (he'd die if I ever addressed him as a hairdresser. He'd never cut a woman's hair again! He is so totally a MANLY MAN, and that is not how he wants to be known)

usually I don't.

He's really good at it too. He cut my 14 yo dd's hair a week or two back and she loved it. In fact, one of my friends heard that he would trim my hair. They were financially pinched and she didn't have money for a hair cut. We were going over there for dinner, and before we left she called and asked him to bring his scissors. So he cut her hair for her before dinner :)

But he hates cutting women's hair. I wish he'd do it more, since we have 3 girls and it would save us big $$$.

yes, he is a pretty talented guy, engineer, farmer, painter, hairdresser (he'd die if I ever addressed him as a hairdresser. He'd never cut a woman's hair again! He is so totally a MANLY MAN, and that is not how he wants to be known)

See, this is what we used to do. I cut my mom's and she cut mine. But in the 5 years since my last cut she's lost her vision, so we can't do that anymore.

I'm seriously considering the putting it into a low ponytail and just cutting across. I have a lot of split ends though so I might have to do it a few times to get them all.

I DID IT!

I pulled both mine and my daughter's hair into a ponytail and chopped. We are both very happy with the results. (My dd's is the same length as mine now, it doesn't show in the picture.) :)

usually I don't.

:lol: My brother-in-law once sewed all of the elaborate gold braid on the three princess gowns I made for my dd and 2 nieces to wear for a parade. He also caused my father to inhale wine up his nose while laughing at my BIL and dh standing in the kitchen deep in discussion over the various methods of cooking the Thanksgiving turkey. BIL stands 6'4", is a former marine and award-winning marksman, rides a Harley, and has a full sleeve of flame tattoos, among other things.

He has also helped my sister color her hair.:D

DD (cosmetologist-in-training) said you should be able to get a newly-licensed hair dresser to come to your house. For years, we have gone to someone who has her shop in her home.

Any tips on trimming bangs? It doesn't seem that complicated, but I seem to rarely get it right myself.

I have a great method for bangs. Grab the hair you want to cut. Twist it. (Your hand with the hair will be close to your face-- forehead or nose or however long you want the bangs.) Then take your scissors and hold it almost vertically. Snip the ends off in random snips--cutting 1/2 inch or however much you want to take off.

This prevents the "straight across" syndrome.

It's pretty hard to explain, but I hope this is understandable.

This video starts out like I do, but doesn't do the cut quite the same. It sounds much more complicated than how I do it, but then, he is a professional;o)

This girl does the vertical snipping at 3:05 and beyond.

For the rest of my hair, I pull it forward and snip ends like above. Where I want layers, I comb hair out and snip along the vertical line.

I have a friend who just flops her hair down and puts it in a ponytail. Then snips the ends of the ponytail.

I'm sure a person could learn a lot about haircuting on youtube!

Edited by mom2abcd

Yikes! I certainly didn't mean to suggest anything illegal. Definitely don't do that!

Near me, there are legally employed hairdressers who have their salon in their home. It's set up properly. This was also the case in the state I grew up in. The cuts are usually cheaper, and it's much more private.

Oh sorry- I didn't mean to sound like I thought you thought I meant you were thinking of recommended an illegal activity. :D

And many people (even in my crazy state0 DO have fully licensed salons in their home. But in my state, it is illegal for a hairdresser to just go to someone;s house and cut their hair. I haven;t worked professionally in years, but I know there is a provision to do so through a salon- something has to be inspected and taxed, LOL!

I just mentioned it in case it was important to anybody.

Any tips on trimming bangs? It doesn't seem that complicated, but I seem to rarely get it right myself.

#1 rule of cutting bangs: You can always cut more off later, but once it;s gone, it only grows back at the rate of 1/2" per month.

RUle #2: ALWAYS trim bangs at eye level. If you pull your bangs out in front and then scrunch up your eyebrows to look up at them in the mirror, you will cut them way too short. (Same goes fro standing 2 feet above a child- your perspective from above will make them look longer than they really are.)

Wet/dampen hair, pull it all into the middle of your nose, trim off a little bit. This will make the outside longer than the middle.

Also, always use very sharp scissors, and ONLY use them for hair. You can get good-enough scissors at Sally Beauty Supply for under $20, and Walmart and even Dollar Tree have hair cutting scissors. HIDE THEM WELL- do not let anyone use them for anything but hair.