Menu

The new Les Miserables movie...

Look at this cast!

"The new film adaptation, directed by Tom Hooper ("The King's Speech") also stars Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean, Russell Crowe as Inspector Javert, Amanda Seyfried as Cosette and Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter as the Thenardiers."

Oh, my goodness.

SBC and HBC as the Thenardiers. :lol:

I don't know...a couple of pretty-boys are going to have a hard time beating Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush.

I don't know if I'd put Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe in the pretty-boy category. I think they can play really strong, gritty roles. But that is obviously my opinion. :D

If that clip of Hathaway's singing is any indication of the vocal quality, I will have to bring my ear plugs...or vomit. I *love* Les Mis. I cannot tolerate it being defiled with terrible singing. (And that clip was an example of "what not to do." She's expressive, but that piece was written for a controlled, mature and brilliant (trained!) voice...and it's meant to be sung in tune! Ugh.)

That said, I am looking forward to seeing the movie.

I would be happier to see trained but unknown vocalists over all these famous actors.

JMHO. That was why I didn't bother seeing Phantom.

Fantine isn't the female lead though, apparently Eponine is being played by Samantha Barks, who has performed it on stage. Cosette is being played by Amanda Seyfried who has also done some singing.

Edited by Sis

If that clip of Hathaway's singing is any indication of the vocal quality, I will have to bring my ear plugs...or vomit. I *love* Les Mis. I cannot tolerate it being defiled with terrible singing. (And that clip was an example of "what not to do." She's expressive, but that piece was written for a controlled, mature and brilliant (trained!) voice...and it's meant to be sung in tune! Ugh.)

That said, I am looking forward to seeing the movie.

It definitely sounds forced in places, doesn't it?

Looking forward to seeing it, but agree with PP's. No one, and I mean no one, can replace Geoffrey Rush. But I think the new guys will do an admirable job.

:iagree:

I would be happier to see trained but unknown vocalists over all these famous actors.

Fantine isn't the female lead though, apparently Eponine is being played by Samantha Barks, who has performed it on stage. Cosette is being played by Amanda Seyfried who has also done some singing.

:iagree: Yes, Amanda Seyfried is even less of a 'singer' than Anne Hathaway is. I'm just glad Eponine is being played by someone who will probably pull the part off well.

Does anyone know if Helena Bonham Carter can sing? She's brilliant otherwise. . . I'll probably see the movie just to see her.

:iagree: Yes, Amanda Seyfried is even less of a 'singer' than Anne Hathaway is. I'm just glad Eponine is being played by someone who will probably pull the part off well.

Does anyone know if Helena Bonham Carter can sing? She's brilliant otherwise. . . I'll probably see the movie just to see her.

Amanda Seyfried was in Mama Mia and she was ok, Colette will be more of a challenge than ABBA obviously. :lol:

Helena Bonham Carter singing (warning, it's Sweeny Todd)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju-5yRCC_C4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVidsiEI5dU&feature=related

Edited by Sis

Hugh Jackman can definitely sing. I have never heard Rusell Crowe sing though. I am more concerned on whether or not the men can sing than the women. I am not familiar with the guy playing Marius but he sings my fave song in the musical, "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables". Not sure anyone can live up to Michael Ball on that one though, at least not for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJnjcX8skXk

I must be easy to please. I thought Anne Hathaway sounded lovely in the trailer and I love Phantom :001_huh:

I find her heartbreaking, Stage performers belt it out because a quieter rendition wouldn't be heard...so she has the advantage of being able to be more expressive. But it is a bit thin and wobbly.

Can you imagine putting on your resume, "I butchered Anne Hathaway's hair on film."

Edited by Sis

Hugh Jackman can definitely sing. I have never heard Rusell Crowe sing though. I am more concerned on whether or not the men can sing than the women. I am not familiar with the guy playing Marius but he sings my fave song in the musical, "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables". Not sure anyone can live up to Michael Ball on that one though, at least not for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJnjcX8skXk

Russel Crowe isn't a bad singer. He has a band that's not terrible.

I find her heartbreaking, Stage performers belt it out because a quieter rendition wouldn't be heard...so she has the advantage of being able to be more expressive.

It isn't about volume. It's about vocal placement. Any amateur can be expressive (point in case: turn on the radio :tongue_smilie:), but it takes skill to sing in such a way as to stay in tune, maintain timbre, etc.etc.etc... It truly doesn't matter if you are singing loud or quietly. (Stage performers these days have microphones.) It's about style and technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=BHjCvDgILWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wfR0y9qg90

Broadway allows for a range of expression (and acting), but these 3 women are actually singing. Ann Hathaway does not even come close. I like Ann Hathaway, but she should stick to acting. .02

I've watched the trailer about 10 times today. I can't wait. We saw the musical about 10 years ago and then were fortunate enough to be able to see it twice last fall. I've been "stalking" twitter for updates. If you search #lesmismovie or #lesmis, you will see updates from the actors. This week they are filming Master of the House. I can't wait to see pics of Sacha Baron Cohen as Thenardier.

I've read a couple articles about the play and the singing in the play. It's live singing, not studio. I think that might throw some people. All of the songs might not be belted out like they are in a theatre production. In the trailer, I Dreamed a Dream was a little different. Personally, I liked the way they did it. It certainly screamed despair.

I've already told the husband that I am taking off on December 14th and will be watching the first showing of the day. Told the kids I'd take them after school.

Yes, I'm geeking out a bit over this film.

Val

It isn't about volume. It's about vocal placement. Any amateur can be expressive (point in case: turn on the radio :tongue_smilie:), but it takes skill to sing in such a way as to stay in tune, maintain timbre, etc.etc.etc... It truly doesn't matter if you are singing loud or quietly. (Stage performers these days have microphones.) It's about style and technique.

Right, I said it was thin and wobbly.

Javert's big song.

If that is any indication as to why people get freaked when big stars are cast over singers.

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFr6nk4ry4Y

Javert is a *serious* singing part.

:iagree: All of the parts are.

I dread to hear Bring Him Home Hollywood "style." But, I will still go see it...like a moth to the flame...:lol:

I must be easy to please. I thought Anne Hathaway sounded lovely in the trailer and I love Phantom :001_huh:

I thought she did fine - wasn't she trained as a singer before starting in films? She sang in character, anyway - I felt her pain!

Did you really not think you missed much by boycotting Emmy Rossum in her breakout role? She was marvelous!

Did you really not think you missed much by boycotting Emmy Rossum in her breakout role? She was marvelous!

I didn't boycott it I just didn't bother seeing it. I have seen Phantom live. It isn't my favorite, if I am going to see it I want to see some serious chops.

Wait what was wrong with Phantom? I thought Raoul was a little weak but that's it. Especially loved Minnie Driver.

Minnie Driver didn't sing her part, someone else did her singing.

The guy who played Raoul had more experience on stage than most of the cast, particularly Gerard Butler. He had been nominated for two Tonys before appearing in Phantom.

If I was going to pay to see any of them live it would be him.

Edited by Sis

I am excited for this film as well! Maybe I'll even finish the book prior to the movie opening. :001_smile: I saw Les Miserables last August for the first time and it was absolutely spectacular. I was crying at the end.

After seeing the stage rendition I have to agree that Anne Hathaway's voice is a little lacking. The actress I saw last summer had a very rich voice/performance. It won't stop me from seeing the movie!

Fantine isn't the female lead though

She just has the one main song, and then some little parts within. She is a very small character.

I don't know...a couple of pretty-boys are going to have a hard time beating Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush.

Not sure about the pretty boy thing.

I saw the 1998 revival of Oklahoma in London, and I was BLOWN AWAY by the unknown male lead.

I think he will do just fine with the part of Jean Valjean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANuxnwo0EvE&feature=related

:iagree: All of the parts are.

I dread to hear Bring Him Home Hollywood "style." But, I will still go see it...like a moth to the flame...:lol:

Bring him home is Hugh Jackman as Valjean, not Javert.

Jackman started on the stage and has a Tony.

ETA

I found this cool clip of all the main characters. I was surprised by Sacha Cohen

Oh, and vocal tone from me, I am excited but I hope they don't blow it. I know internet voice is sometimes hard to read. I am just having fun looking at you tube and joining the conversation.

Edited by Northwest_Mama
found another cool clip

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!:party::party:

I was so afraid of them destroying it like they did with the "Phantom of the Opera" movie, but this looks terrific.

Yes, it does. If they mess it up, I am going to hurt someone :tongue_smilie:

My last memory of Les Miserables is a live production in Melbourne about 20 years ago. It was outstanding.

but have you watched Samantha barks doing the Eponine death scene??? She gasps with every line....it's seriously torturous to listen to. We saw the stage version last summer, which mercifully had a VERY good Eponine. So my dds are not particularly happy that she is in the movie version. Not to mention the vomitous Anne Hathaway...sigh. Why do they have to ruin a perfectly good thing?? Why?

but have you watched Samantha barks doing the Eponine death scene??? She gasps with every line....it's seriously torturous to listen to. We saw the stage version last summer, which mercifully had a VERY good Eponine. So my dds are not particularly happy that she is in the movie version. Not to mention the vomitous Anne Hathaway...sigh. Why do they have to ruin a perfectly good thing?? Why?

Eponine is the only one I worry about. I can take real-person, not-so-perfect vocals from any of the other characters as long as their acting is poignant, but not Eponine. In my mind, her voice needs to be crystalline pure... JMO. I wasn't impressed by Samantha Barks' clip in the link above.:glare:

I think it looks great! When I heard Anne Hathaway was playing that role I was nervous, but I think she sounded good. I think she does sound well trained. I will have to ask my girls to watch it they have a much better ear than I do. My oldest is going to be piano and vocalist major. If Anne is off it will drive her nuts. :001_smile: