Menu

twins sharing a bed, WWYD?

I have a dilemma! I have almost 23 month old twins. We converted their cribs to toddler beds about a month ago. The transition is going pretty well, the only issue we have now is that they love to sleep together, but don't both fit into the cribs/toddler beds. One is always falling out, even or the rail! They are in a pretty small room, and if I get two twin beds, it will be pretty crowded. My mom has a spare full size bed that she offered to us. We will be moving in a year to a bigger house, so they would just use the full size until next summer. The other option we have is to switch their room with their older brother's room that will accommodate 2 twin beds. I'm hesitant to do this because a.) we would need to paint the nursery, and that seems like a waste for only 1 year, and b.) his room is his space, he's got all of his toys in there, and the twins are not allowed in. If he moves to the smaller room, he would be really cramped. He spends a lot of time in his room playing, the twins do not.

Any advice? WWYD?

Put them into the double bed together.

We've considered putting our daughter's together. DD12 is up for it, but I think the age difference makes it less desirable so we are hoping to buy a daybed and trundle for them instead.

and make the bed up with king sized sheets. You will have to do some extra tucking in the bottom of the bed, because it will be shorter than a real king bed, but it will allow them to sleep together, have room to roll around, and later, you can separate the beds if you need/want to. We did this and it worked great.

and make the bed up with king sized sheets. You will have to do some extra tucking in the bottom of the bed, because it will be shorter than a real king bed, but it will allow them to sleep together, have room to roll around, and later, you can separate the beds if you need/want to. We did this and it worked great.

Cool idea.

Thanks for the suggestions! Since I basically have a free full bed, I'm leaning towards that option, and buying twin beds when we move.

as for the paint question, The twins room is bright aqua, and my DS refuses to switch rooms if the paint stays. Obviously I could overrule him, but since I would be displacing him out of the room he loves, I would feel bad. His stuff is all red and navy, so in his defense, it would look pretty hideous. :lol:

I'd put the full mattress in the room (maybe on the floor - can't fall far that way) for now. Or both toddler mattresses next to each other on the floor. Just figure some way to hold them together so no one gets stuck in between two mattresses...on the other hand, this may be too much of a hazard so do NOT put the two toddler mattresses together. Use the loaner full.

You could put one twin at each end of a twin bed. My younger sis and I slept that way until we were in grade school (VERY small house!). That way they are still together, but have enough room to stretch out a bit.

Yes, a single twin bed should be more than enough at that age. My 5yo girls have a bunkbed, but they both sleep on the bottom bunk and they love this arrangement. Sometimes I even sleep in the same twin bed with them, which is a treat for them. When I was little, I also shared a twin bed with my sister and didn't feel crowded.

what's wrong with a full size bed for them to share? it takes up less space then two twins, and they can sleep together. My girls shared a full size for a few years. so did my nieces. no problems. I even ended up with one of my then teen boys sharing a full size with dudeling for awhile. (but no one wanted to actually share a bed with him becaue no one "slept" with him.)

I'd go with the full size bed. I don't have twins, but several siblings that are just a year apart. One set of girls shared a full size bed for years. You can start with the mattress on the floor, if you're worried about them rolling out. Or, you can get a bed rail for one side, with the bed pushed against the wall for the other side. That's what we did.

Thanks for the suggestions! Since I basically have a free full bed, I'm leaning towards that option, and buying twin beds when we move.

as for the paint question, The twins room is bright aqua, and my DS refuses to switch rooms if the paint stays. Obviously I could overrule him, but since I would be displacing him out of the room he loves, I would feel bad. His stuff is all red and navy, so in his defense, it would look pretty hideous. :lol:

:iagree:

We got my son a bunk bed system that has a full on the bottom and the twin on top. My daughter still had a toddler bed in her own room and she prefers to sleep in the full with her brother. But he also likes to draw the line and tell her no sometimes. I think it's important to let boys have their own space, so I understand about not wanting to uproot your son, and I also agree with the full sized option, as kids like to share. Sounds like the full is the best option. Have fun!

We were given a twin over full bunk. My 2yo sleeps in the middle the other way so that he doesn't roll out. Occasionally my 1yo sleeps next to him. When he moves out of my bed, they will share fulltime until someone chooses to move to the top bunk. If we add another one or 2, the bunk bed, along with a second twin mattress trundled underneath, will work for all 4 boys.

I have identical twin boys who are 5 and they share a full size bed. They like to be together. We have a twin over full bunk bed that my 9 year old boy takes the top and the twins on the bottom bunk. It works well for us :)

Same here, though the 11yo has now abandoned the top bunk in favor of her own room. The almost 8yos still share a full sized bed. I'm sure they'll want their own beds at some point, but that day hasn't come yet for us.

My 10yo and 8yo often sleep in a twin together, so I know the "one twin bed" option could work for quite a while.

:iagree: This happens in my house quite a bit. Personally, I'd put a twin mattress on the floor for them to share--that would save space and you don't have to worry about wiggly toddlers falling out of bed.