Menu

PONon-Catholic needs help. Is this is a good First Communion gift for 8yo boy?

Would you give this to him on this occasion?  

1. 1. Would you give this to him on this occasion?

• Yes
    • No

Typo in my title: Delete the PO. I thought I finished typing POLL.

I'm a protestant and some good friends of ours have invited us to attend their son's First Communion (Confirmation). They are the only Catholics I know and I confess I don't know much about Catholicism.

We're invited to the ceremony tomorrow with a reception afterwards.

Is this something for which I should give a gift?

If yes, what sort of gift? (ideas?)

I went to a store today and ask the owner for some ideas for an 8 year old boy and she took me to this model / figurine and said that every time her 9 yo grandson came in that he played with it. So, I bought it (see picture) today and bought some art supplies to go with it. It's about 14 inches tall. It's a moveable body model and the lady who sold it to me said it's purpose was to be used while drawing -- you mold it in the position and sketch it. It looked fun to play with and I thought he might use it in art.

I have NO idea if he even likes art. I know he likes sports, but I'm sure he's overrun with sport stuff.

Is this gift ridiculous for this occasion? Is it Ok? or what?

Oh....I need to add this. I was going to type a cute cardstock card that says, "Therefore you are not your own, you were bought with a price -- the precious blood of Jesus therefore honor the Lord in your body." (I'm sure i'm not typing this bible verse perfectly....but I plan on looking it up and finding its "address") and hanging that on the figurine's body.

I'm at a complete loss.

post-41127-13535086639714_thumb.jpg

post-41127-13535086639714_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaigeP

Well, to be completely honest, I wouldn't give it as a first communion gift. There's is nothing wrong with it, and I'm sure he would like it, but I prefer to go with more of a religious gift. It doesn't have to be strictly Catholic, anything from a Christian store would work, too. A children's bible, a prayer rock, or prayer card. If you have a Christian store nearby, ask there. They would be able to help.

Nothing wrong with it at all. It is not traditional by any means but he will probably end up with half a dozen rosaries, a crucifix or two and at least one wall plaque.

So go ahead, be original. Art supplies and a more traditional card are just fine.

P.S. That Bible verse is lovely.

My DD received mostly religious items or keepsake items, except for the comic books that Aunt Susan gave her. :)

Honestly unless you think big presents are expected, my DD receive gifts in the $10 to $20 even from GP. We would really not expect anyone to get elaborate gifts.

Nothing wrong with it at all. It is not traditional by any means but he will probably end up with half a dozen rosaries, a crucifix or two and at least one wall plaque.

So go ahead, be original. Art supplies and a more traditional card are just fine.

:iagree:

My DD made her First Communion last weekend. She received a pair of cross earrings, 3 necklaces, 2 prayer bead bracelets, a new rosary, and several books.

I was thinking about when DS makes First Communion in a couple years, what kind of gifts we will get him :confused:? It seems a lot easier with a girl, when she can get religious jewelry.:D

:iagree: I'm going to a first communion tomorrow and was planning to give a 10yo boy a boxed set of Narnia. You only need one rosary and missal, not 5 each.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

In our area, specific religious items are given by godparents and maybe grandparents. When my kids were given multiple crosses, Bibles etc., the only ones we kept were the ones from the godparents and grandparents. (like pp stated, you only need one rosary etc.)

I voted no, because you don't know if he even likes art. It would be different if you knew for a fact that he was really into art. Otherwise, I think it's kind of wierd. You could always return it and give him a gift card to the store for the same price.

Just wanted to add -- it would seem odd to give a child (or anyone) that kind of gift without a figure drawing book or DVD to go along with it. It's not really a stand-alone item.

Well, they are fun to stand on your desk and contort into odd positions. :D Maybe passing a football or swinging a bat?

Along with the verse you chose, I think it could be a winner.

I voted no, because it is more typical to give/receive something more religious, but after thinking about it, perhaps with the tag you mentioned it could be alright. It is hard to find something religious and unique that they won't get duplicates of. Gifts I've seen over the years are: jewelry, Bibles, devotional books, tie pins for boys, rosaries of course-but they will probably get one from the church with a prayer book. Statues (or cards) of Jesus or patron saints. Picture frames for a First Communion picture. A little keepsake box. Plaques. And of course cash. I had my boys try and find something spiritual to spend the money on and one of my boys found the neatest ceramic-like Bethlehem village set at a yard sale. It has a few tents/shops, a stable, figurines of people and animals including the Holy Family, lights that lit up in a couple shops, a bridge, palm trees, etc.

Good job on your creativity and enjoy tomorrow. Just your being there will be the best gift of all. :)

:iagree:A friend's daughter has a drawing figure in their living room. All the kids play with it. My son loves it. Comments on them in stores etc. It is an unusual gift but could end up being very loved.

Also, you may not be aware of this, but Communion is not open to non-Catholics. No one will be offended or look at you funny if you stay seated during that time. :-)

And it's very thoughtful of you to attend a Catholic religious ceremony. You're a good friend. :)

:iagree: I'm going to a first communion tomorrow and was planning to give a 10yo boy a boxed set of Narnia. You only need one rosary and missal, not 5 each.

:iagree: You can only use so many First Communion frames (ask me how I know). Honestly, my kids loved their non-religious gifts more.

If you want to give that gift to the little boy, then do so.

They already know I'm weird, so I talked myself out of that as reason not to give it. And I figured, with as big an extended family as he has, that he'd sure to get several of the traditional gifts. And it worked out great because he loved the gift. IN fact, his dad said, "I think he liked that as much as the Wii he got for Christmas." I did take many of your advice to give something religious and threw in a book about an admirable missionary (I've read it and it didn't focus too much on the theological minutieu---just that he was trying to get the cannibals to quit eating one another and come to Christ, so it was a book Catholics and protestant kids could enjoy).

Thanks for the input.

I took of pic of the final ensemble before I wrapped it. :001_smile:

post-41127-13535086647234_thumb.jpg

post-41127-13535086647754_thumb.jpg

post-41127-13535086647234_thumb.jpg

post-41127-13535086647754_thumb.jpg

I know you're already decided, I just wanted to say I love it! It's nice that it's not the traditional gift. DH and I just went through a box of mementos from our childhood. Between the two of us we had over a dozen statues/crosses/pins/rosaries etc. from our first communions, and I'm sure we lost some things along the way. We each chose one item to keep and we Goodwilled the rest.

It's not traditional, and I would only give it with an artist sketchbook or some pencils or something, and only if I was pretty sure the child enjoyed drawing.

Money is always welcome, and huge gifts are not the norm for FC, as someone else said, at least not in my family or circle of friends.

They already know I'm weird, so I talked myself out of that as reason not to give it. And I figured, with as big an extended family as he has, that he'd sure to get several of the traditional gifts. And it worked out great because he loved the gift. IN fact, his dad said, "I think he liked that as much as the Wii he got for Christmas." I did take many of your advice to give something religious and threw in a book about an admirable missionary (I've read it and it didn't focus too much on the theological minutieu---just that he was trying to get the cannibals to quit eating one another and come to Christ, so it was a book Catholics and protestant kids could enjoy).

Thanks for the input.

I took of pic of the final ensemble before I wrapped it. :001_smile:

Yay!! (and thanks for updating...I always love seeing how things turn out!)