Menu

Homeschooling through junior high and high school??

It seems like I'm seeing a lot of people that have put their children back in school once they reach junior high or high school. Is this common? I have to admit as a fairly new homeschooling parent the thought of teaching the upper level grades is overwhelming and I've often thought that I might just put them in school when they get that age. Then I think about the reasons I'm homeschooling my kids and I think I will not ever send them back to public school if I can help it. (My reasons for starting to homeschool are very different from the reasons I am now continuing to homeschool!)

Obviously I realize that there are things that come up and situations that are beyond our control that might be a game changer for our homeschooling plans, but I'm talking just in general, without extenuating circumstances. Please share your opinions and experiences!

People homeschool for different reasons and their families' needs change over time. It is much easier to take things year by year and reassess what you think is best for your children as a whole.

We put our son back in school for 6th, took him out again for 7th and now 8th. Whether or not he stays home for high depends on the resources we have available to us and what kind of education he could receive elsewhere. I wouldn't rule it out if we moved to an area with a small, rigorous school that accepted duel enrollment or we had similar options available to us. To put it mildly, high school at home can get expensive. We want him to have as many benefits as possible but we need to weigh the pros and cons of each situation we consider.

I've homeschooled for 17 years and have watched many families put their older children into public school.

The most common reasons I've heard are (1) sports .. one or both spouses want their children to play high school sports and that option isn't available for homeschoolers in Virginia, and (2) academics .. sometimes it's because they want to make sure they have the opportunity for AP classes, transcripts, etc., or they don't feel qualified to teach the higher subjects (geometry, precalc, biology, chemistry, physics, etc.

I don't often hear the social side, but I'm sure it's an issue for some parents ("I want him to go to prom," etc.)

I believe that sometimes it's an "attitude" issue, but the parents aren't willing to admit that it has played a role in their decision, if that makes sense. The compliant little 6 year old and the happy 10 year old has transformed into a belligerent 14 or 15 year old who doesn't want to "do school" so the parents put them into public school.

Finishing up our 24th year...

AP classes? We use our 4 year college

Sports? In CO, we have full equal access

Prom? Yeah, my dd went last week and had a blast (and looked stunning in her dress)

College admissions? My children (so far) have only been denied at one college they applied to, well two if you count doctoral programs

Yearbook? I took the photos for 2 different teams, have for years now

Advanced classes? See #1

So, it's quite possible to do all those things they "miss out" on. It is possible to do high school at home and do it well. Is it hard work? Yes... :D

It may be possible if you have "full equal access" but if you do not, sending them to school is the only option for a kid who wants to compete in high school athletics.

Homeschooling for us was a year by year decision on whether or not it was the best option. I always knew if my oldest kept up with his love of wrestling, high school was going to be a necessity for him and it has worked out fine, so far for him and his brother though for different reasons.

As things look now, my dd will homeschool all the way through high school because it seems like the only option when it comes to allowing her to follow her interests and keeping her challenged academically.

I have graduated one and the second will graduate soon. So we are "lifers" :)

And then the littles start in the fall. I'm looking at 30some years of homeschooling in the end.

I think it is important to realize that what will be available when our young children are older will be even more different than what is available also. In 1995, when I started simple materials and talking homeschooling, there was a good bit of information coming out; but conversations back then looked considerably different than conversations today (and the mothers where *I* am now back then couldn't believe how much it had changed from the 80s). Now there are programs in private and public schools for homeschoolers. Homeschool groups have competitive teams, choirs, etc. Colleges know homeschoolers well. Different kinds of schools (full and part time) have popped up. There are SO many options, so many curricula, etc. I just don't think we can guess what educational options will look like when my six yr old is ready for 7th or 9th grades. So I can't very well say what options we'll take advantage of.

With my daughter (who graduated a couple years ago), we used private school classes, community college classes, co-op classes, online classes, and mommy made classes. We were definitely a hybrid. At one point in our homeschool, with each of my kids, for about a year each, we used a full program. Then there are things like hippocampus, EPGY, the free online homeschool co-op, etc.

It just is crazy what options ARE and what they will be.

My plan? Definitely to homeschool all the way through. I'm a little more nervous to do so this time around for a couple reasons, but I really think that is the direction we'll go. But I certainly won't say so for sure. In 1995, I never would have dreamed of the options available today. We'll see how things look in 2022 (which just sounds crazy far away!).

I've homeschooled for 17 years and have watched many families put their older children into public school.

The most common reasons I've heard are (1) sports .. one or both spouses want their children to play high school sports and that option isn't available for homeschoolers in Virginia, and (2) academics .. sometimes it's because they want to make sure they have the opportunity for AP classes, transcripts, etc., or they don't feel qualified to teach the higher subjects (geometry, precalc, biology, chemistry, physics, etc.

I don't often hear the social side, but I'm sure it's an issue for some parents ("I want him to go to prom," etc.)

I believe that sometimes it's an "attitude" issue, but the parents aren't willing to admit that it has played a role in their decision, if that makes sense. The compliant little 6 year old and the happy 10 year old has transformed into a belligerent 14 or 15 year old who doesn't want to "do school" so the parents put them into public school.

:iagree::iagree:

High school is daunting....but it is really the coolest part of homeschooling!

Faithe

I agree with Pam as far as the changes in homeschooling since we started....even having the Internet!!

The times have really changed!

Edited by Mommyfaithe

My oldest dd is in 9th grade this year, and I admit that despite my conviction to homeschool it has been SO tempting to send her to school this year. But we are working through it. For us that has meant changing priorities a bit, and outsourcing some classes (like Latin and Geometry).

ETA: Some of the big draws of school for us are the extra curriculars. My oldest loves singing and acting, and it has been hard to find affordable outlets for that here.

My oldest is 9th grade next year.

We have always given our kids the option to go to school if they so choose. They don't want to go. They beg not to go.

Our homeschool groups are full of very dedicated to the end types of homeschoolers although we have different reasons many times.

For us, the social aspect is a good reason NOT to send them, although I might be open to a couple of charter schools or magnet programs. Academics is just so-so at the local public school and I can do at least that level here at home. My oldest has some learning delays and the one on one is the best option for him, although I would let him go to school if he really wanted to (he doesn't.)

Dawn

When our youngest dd graduated from 8th grade (homeschool group ceremony) she was the only one who was continuing homeschooling. It was hard losing nearly all her friends at once.

Now, I know exactly two families who homeschool high school without having the kids enrolled in either Classical Conversations or a one day a week school.

So in a way more folks around here continue to homeschool for high school but the moms who use CC or the huge one day a week school don't look like homeschoolers at all. They aren't teaching, and most don't set school times for the kids or work with them. It's not bad, it's just quite different than what we did. Even though we used some community college classes, dh and I were still very involved.

That's ok. I had my kids in full time pre-school until age 5. I worked full time and had NO intention of staying home and homeschooling.

I quit work when older two were 7 and 5.

Dawn

We started homeschooling ds in high school. Guess we are a little backward, eh? ;)

We started homeschooling ds in high school. Guess we are a little backward, eh? ;)

That's us....this was our first year, and my oldest's first year of high school. We gave the 3 oldest (the ones in middle and high school) a choice about coming home, and they all chose homeschooling.

We have tons of homeschooling resources in our area though. For just about anything you can find in the public school, there is a homeschooling alternative.

I figure that about 3/4 of the folks that we started with have sent theirs off to the classroom now. We've found that the friendships with those kids tend to drop off too. They are with different people and different situations, and their focus changes.

So in a way more folks around here continue to homeschool for high school but the moms who use CC or the huge one day a week school don't look like homeschoolers at all. They aren't teaching, and most don't set school times for the kids or work with them. It's not bad, it's just quite different than what we did.

And for what it's worth, some of us in CC do read most of the books and remain involved with our students. I know that I'm unusual that way, but I've remained very involved. Next year will be a mix of CC and online for different kids, and I am again reading many of the books. I really enjoy the discussions we have at home!

Edited by GVA

I have one child at home and one in high school. My teen entered high school the second semester of 9th grade this year. She'd been wanting to try school for a few years and we put her off knowing that it can be a normal phase for the home schooled teen.

Our problem was that we raised our daughter to take charge of her education and THIS is how she wanted to do it. :glare: She had compelling academic and artistic reasons and everything! She is lucky that she had access between a good core group of homeschooling teens, and a good high school.

So far, high school is working for everyone. I no longer have to drive to the community college for adequate science labs or leave the house for her Spanish class. Since the school is only a 1/2 mile away she walks. She's a good student and the school gave me no trouble about putting her in honors classes. She'll eventually do some AP classes. She's home by 2:30 p.m. and is managing to have time for homework, family, and friends.

For now, it's working and she's learning and happy, but we reserve the right to homeschool again if we choose to. :D

I home schooled mine for middle school. He went back for high school. He is very happy.

I have my second about to start middle school and I am terrified but I think she will be staying in school.

I think in my case...each child has to be looked at individually. I homeschooled mine due to LD and issues with the public school...not everyone has those same issues.

And for what it's worth, some of us in CC do read most of the books and remain involved with our students. I know that I'm unusal that way, but I've remained very involved. Next year will be a mix of CC and online for different kids, and I am again reading many of the books. I really enjoy the discussions we have at home!

That's how I expected it to be like when CC hit our area, but many don't even really know what the kids are doing. They figure they're paying a lot of money and they don't need to be involved now. That's too bad, because high school kids are great fun to be around- the discussions are fantastic! High school is the prize for enduring the years of teaching reading and math facts- I keep thinking the parents who send their kids off to high school are missing the fun years. Not that the younger years aren't rewarding, but high school is where we started to actually see the payoff.

Both my dds were homeschooled through high school. The oldest is graduating college next week, whoo hooo, and the 17 yo will be a hs senior next year. With both we outsourced with local homeschool classes and online classes. The younger has taken precalc at the local cc this year and is in Belhaven University's High Scholars program online. She will have 30 hours of college credit when she graduates hs. Social outlets have not been a problem for either of them. :001_smile:

I think each family has to evaluate what is available to their students, what their student's strengths and weaknesses are, why they are homeschooling, and decide from there, with lots of prayer (if they are praying folks)

Mary

I love homeschooling and believe in it whole=heartedly. But we have a different situation here in NYC where there is an incredible amount of school choice for high school. There is a high school for any and every interest, focus, and passion. Dd(18) went to an incredible high school for journalism. Dd(15) goes to an incredible high school for the performing arts. Ds(11) is already thinking about high schools for science, or film, or performing, or engineering. High school for my children is and has always been their choice, which gives them ownership, which makes them want to do well.

I have a big issue with elementary and middle school, but I love the high school experience my kids get. If we lived anywhere else, I'd most likely homeschool til college.

I love homeschooling and believe in it whole=heartedly. But we have a different situation here in NYC where there is an incredible amount of school choice for high school. There is a high school for any and every interest, focus, and passion. Dd(18) went to an incredible high school for journalism. Dd(15) goes to an incredible high school for the performing arts. Ds(11) is already thinking about high schools for science, or film, or performing, or engineering. High school for my children is and has always been their choice, which gives them ownership, which makes them want to do well.

I have a big issue with elementary and middle school, but I love the high school experience my kids get. If we lived anywhere else, I'd most likely homeschool til college.

This is where we fit in. The things my daughter loves about high school the most are daily Spanish instruction with a native speaker, daily peer group literature discussions, and a theatre department that makes my home town's community theater look like a preschool production. The best we could do homeschooling was getting to these things once a week. We also don't miss having to drive to these things separately. (I also consider the science labs a plus, but my daughter is less enthusiastic about them.)

A perk we didn't expect is how much fun it is to talk in the evening when you haven't experienced the exact same day. We homeschooled for 10 years, and I still have a 5th grader at home, so I fully understand how great the homeschooling adventure can be. I'm just delightfully surprised that this high school thing is turning out to be exciting too. :001_smile:

I was afraid of the high school years because they are pivotal to future plans. That is simply too huge a responsibility for me so we use an online accredited program. My state does not allow me to award an accredited diploma to my homeschool graduates and we have to jump through different hoops for college applications. We weighed the pros and cons and believe the accredited school is the best choice for our homeschooling high school.

My youngest, dd14, has been using Keystone this year but she has asked to start 9th grade over again at the local public high school in the fall. The decision is right for her. She is planning to go to college and wants the best chances at getting there. I do understand the high school can offer her more opportunities than I can.

I have to say that homeschooling the high school years has been the most difficult years for us. I really miss the days of being able to choose curriculum that I can change when I want to, and the joy we had at learning things and following interests. High school is very rigid because colleges expect certain classes to be completed with good grades. We even have to choose the electives that will look best on the transcript. For us, it's just not fun. Ds15 has had classes that are interesting but the work level is so different from what we did before high school that it kind of sucks the joy out of it. But he still prefers homeschooling so we approach his class work with the best attitude we can and just get it done each day.

A perk we didn't expect is how much fun it is to talk in the evening when you haven't experienced the exact same day. We homeschooled for 10 years, and I still have a 5th grader at home, so I fully understand how great the homeschooling adventure can be. I'm just delightfully surprised that this high school thing is turning out to be exciting too. :001_smile:

I agree. It helped my relationship with my 15dd a lot. I'm very pro-homeschooling. It really depends on so many different factors though for the kid and family.

My oldest is finishing 6th grade now. She and I both want to continue homeschooling through junior high. I would love to do high school too! But my feeling is that by 9th grade she should be making the decision with our help. She knows that she can choose between either of the two local high schools or homeschool + community college courses.

I think it would be great to do HS at home, and she would have more freedom, but there are great opportunities at the high schools too. There are AP courses and the IB program and some other things that I can't do.

So when that time comes, we will pray about it and research it and do what we think is best for her.

It depends on your situation and your young people.

It's much easier to say it's preferable to homeschool through high school if you have access to sports, other home high schoolers around, and opportunities for academic enrichment outside of the schools. For example, we have no access to sports, which will likely cause our ds to go to high school. It's also easier to choose traditional school if there are goog options. Where we lived before, public high school was not an option at all because of safety concerns. Before dh took his current job, private school wasn't an option because of the cost. We would have been homeschooling through high school without a doubt back then, but our situation changed, and we had a harder decision.

By high school age, our oldest two have been mature young people capable of making decisions about their own academic preferences and futures (with guidance, of course.) The first dd chose to stay home after shadowing at some schools, though she will be taking a few AP courses online and some community college classes possibly. The second dd liked the private school, but then found out she couldn't get the classes she needed there, and so is going to take a few classes at the public high school, a few online, and do a few with me. She really, really likes the classroom atmosphere and group dynamic, and it motivates her, whereas oldest dd likes to just get her work done as quickly as possible because she has many other interests.

Edited by angela in ohio