Menu

Did you wear your baby/toddler while pregnant?

Dd is concerned about wearing dgs (9 months, 19 lbs) in the Moby wrap because of pressure on her uterus. She is almost 9 weeks pg.

I tend to think it wouldn't be an issue, but I never used a Moby wrap since they didn't make them in the stone age when mine were babies.

Advice??

I don't think it would be comfortable to wear one on front past the beginning stages. I guess that would depend on the length of your torso and such. I carry pretty high myself (and am just 11 wks)and the only way I would want to carry right now would be on the hip or back. Not really due to paranoia but just strictly for comfort. My youngest is 2.5 though and I don't regularly carry her anymore for long periods. I'm not against carrying and when they are small I wear them a ton but past 18 months decreasing amounts, ie if we are around the house I generally never ever but if we were walking an extended amount somewhere I would or if out and about I might. I'm a homebody though so it isn't often these days. If I had a baby that young I likely would but my babies are spaced much further apart(2y7m,2y9m and 3y).

Edited by soror

I know LOTS of women that wear their babies/toddlers while pg. As long as she's comfortable I don't see a reason not to. Once her belly gets in the way she should be able to wear her older one on her back.

She may find as baby gets older she'd be more comfortable with a SCC (Ergo, Oh Snap, Beco, etc).

I used a woven wrap with my dd on my back (she was 3) when I was pregnant with my son. It was comfortable. There is a tying style called tibetan style that ties it higher than a normal rucksack tie and avoids the stomach area entirely. She would have to learn to throw the baby on to her back which isn't as scary or dangerous as it sounds but best done in front of a bed or a sofa the first couple of times.

I got pg when older ds was 2.5. I wore him for the first 3 months as I had for the previous 2.5 years. But when I was 3 months pregnant, I pulled the ligaments that support the uterus (probably because of wearing him) and had to stop wearing him and go to bed for 3 weeks. not nice. I could not wear older ds after that.

Ruth in NZ

On another note, I didn't use a Moby passed around 12 lbs... Just wasn't comfortable and I wasn't pg then. :tongue_smilie: I might have her look Into a woven wrap or ring sling. Could be the weight in a stretchy wrap if she is uncomfortable at all, not necessarily the wearing in general.

I've had many friends wear their babies through pregnancies, but I can't imagine a 19 pounder being very comfortable to carry in a Moby. I would recommend her finding a way to wear him on her back. It's so much nicer at that age/weight, and it will give her belly more room. If funds allow, I would probably look at woven wraps (higher learning curve, but she's used to wrapping with the Moby) or maybe a Mai Tie. I love my Ergo, but I'm not sure how comfortable it would be while pregnant because of where the waist belt sits.

ETA - This Mai Tie maker is local to me, and I have many friends who love her products. I think she does quite well nationwide. I've been to the place where they manufacture, and the family working there is very sweet. I'm linking to their instruction page because there are several pictures of her wearing while pretty pregnant.

http://kozycarrier.homestead.com/instructions.html

Edited by Annie

As long as it's comfortable for the mom and not causing any contractions or bleeding, it's fine. I wore Fritz in the Ergo on my back at a thing in DC (LOTS of walk) 3 weeks before Adrian was due (5 weeks before the kid was actually born). Fritz was 22 months old.

I though I would definitely wear my toddler on my back while preggo and I even did a bit this time - but she is too heavy anymore (27lbs) and the few times I did it her weight put a lot of pressure on my hips and it was painful. Now that I'm growing I'm finding that it's difficult to even carry her in my arms (she is NOT pleased! :tongue_smilie:). But I would not hesitate if I had a lighter baby. :)

I did. My first is 2yrs 9mo older than my second. When I was pregnant, I'd already been carrying him mostly on my back. I found that tying the waist straps of a mei tai under my belly when I was getting big was nicely supportive. ;) I also liked using a woven wrap for a ruck tied in back, so nothing around my torso. I agree with others that your DD may want to get a different carrier. I didn't find the moby supportive enough past around 15-18lbs.

If it's comfortable for her, it should be fine. She might want to try back carrying though, but the Moby is not the easiest to use for those.

I have to give up front carrying when pregnant; because I carry so ridiculously low, the baby being worn sits right on my uterus and causes uncomfortable twinges. However, my babies have all been quite a bit older than your DD's baby, when I got pregnant again, so they haven't needed to be worn. A woven wrap, tied above her belly bump, might be comfortable for her. She may want to visit the forums at TheBabywearer.com to get some more specific help.

I wore mine all through my pregnancies, however, we moved out of a moby by 4 months or so. They are more of a newborn wrap, it's harder to get and keep a secure wrap the heavier the baby gets.

She could also try a woven wrap, or I have and love a Beco. Mei Tai are pretty easy as well.

I wore DS1 until at least 25 weeks when I was pregnant with DD, and I wore DD when I was 8 months pregnant with DS2. That being said, once mine hit 1, they are never on my front. I find back carries are much easier once they get bigger. I actually found that putting DD on my back when I was hugely pregnant with DS2 helped the normal pregnancy aches and pains and back aches a lot, so I tended to wear her quite a bit towards the end of my pregnancy.

I tend to use Mei Tais or Soft Structured Carriers like the Ergo though, and not the Moby.

she could carry with the moby wrap on her back or use a different carrier. :) Mei Tai, Ring Sling, etc.

I don't think the Moby is recommended for back carries. I don't remember for sure, though. I personally would not try back carries with it. The easiest way to get started doing back carries is with a soft structured carrier, like the Ergo, Beco Butterfly or Gemini, Boba, etc.

She still really loves using the Moby though, and it's been working pretty well up to now, even with his size. Of course, she doesn't really have anything to compare it to.

I like that Kozy that someone linked - very cool!

If it feels comfortable, it's fine. I wouldn't worry about it all. When that wrap doesn't work any more, she might need to switch things up. I was hauling around a 30 odd pound 3 year old on my hip when I was pregnant w/my 2nd up until the day I delivered.

I don't think the Moby is recommended for back carries. I don't remember for sure, though. I personally would not try back carries with it. The easiest way to get started doing back carries is with a soft structured carrier, like the Ergo, Beco Butterfly or Gemini, Boba, etc.

:iagree:

The Moby is not safe in a back carry.

Dd is concerned about wearing dgs (9 months, 19 lbs) in the Moby wrap because of pressure on her uterus. She is almost 9 weeks pg.

I tend to think it wouldn't be an issue, but I never used a Moby wrap since they didn't make them in the stone age when mine were babies.

Advice??

I got pregnant with my 3rd when my 2nd was 10 weeks. I wore him for the first few months. Trying to remember, he was probably about 5 months when I stopped wearing him out front. Then when he was old enough I used a backpack carrier and carried him around in that up until I had my 3rd.

I have a friend that wears her children while pregnant. But she has closely spaced children so they don't weigh very much.

My Solomon to Isaiah will be my closest biological spacing, but Solomon weighs every bit as much as his big brother, so that combined with my preterm labor issues and back issues makes me not eager to try.