Menu

Need to get healthy and lose weight...but how?

I need help - perhaps an intervention??? I have got to lose weight. Not only do my clothes no longer fit, but I am becoming more and more unhealthy. My mom was just diagnosed with diabetes and I have similar eating habits as her. I know I am heading down the same road. The problem is...I just don't even know how to get started.

I am a former vegetarian (not the healthy kind, unfortunately) who loves carbs. I like bread, pasta and sweets. I mean, who doesn't, right? :D I eat meat now sometimes, but prefer it to be breaded or have lots of sauce, as I don't really enjoy the taste.

A few years ago, I lost weight by counting calories (I ate around 1200 - 1500 per day) but that got old after a while. I also started running (which I LOVED!!!), but I am not able to run right now.

I don't eat a lot of boxed, prepackaged foods and I try to eat whole grains.

But I kind of think there is more to it to healthy eating that I am not understanding. I have always followed the "calorie in, calorie out" theory on weight loss, but I am wondering if I need to focus even more on the types of foods I am eating.

I don't want to be on a "diet". Instead, I want to change my habits. But I just can't figure out what I am changing to (I know I can't count calories forever).

Any suggestions for me? I really desire to turn things around. Thanks!

You might want to start by giving up refined sugar. I did that to try to stop sugar crashes in the afternoon and a wonderful side effect was losing weight! I then also gave up gluten because of stomach issues, and again, lost weight! Now I eat mostly grain free and dairy free also. I don't have to count calories and I do eat a lot of healthy fats- coconut oil & milk, avocados, nuts, etc. I find it very easy to maintain my weight as long as I stick to this way of eating. I would suggest giving up one thing at a time - if you do it all at once it can be very overwhelming. Best of luck:)

Weight watchers? It's supposed to be a lifestyle change, and gives you the opportunity to eat almost everything, so long as you do so in moderation. You can eat unlimited fruits and veggies, and earn extra points by working out. It worked for me before, and I just started again to lose the weight that I've been holding on to since having my son 18 months ago.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

I just did this, lost 20 lbs so far in about five weeks. Gave up sugar, about 90% or more of carbs. Started drinking glucerna for breakfast, sometimes for another meal too. I'm going to start exercising more now because after 20 lbs I'm stuck. I eat lots of meat and veggies, eggs. And smaller portions. I've got sugar free candy for treats.

My doc told me I had to watch my blood sugar, that's what got me going.

I know you mentioned that you had counted calories in the past, but honestly you should consider it again. Signing up for a FREE service like MFP (http://www.myfitnesspal.com) can help keep you accountable. Plus they allow you to customize your C/P/F ratios along with your daily calories, or they will help you set it up with their calculations. It really does help to SEE what you are eating every day.

Next I would say staying accountable to a group. I have a FB group online of ladies and they generally log daily what their workouts were, some of their recipes, as well as log at MFP. It really does help to surround yourself with people who you would like to imitate! Good luck!

Check out a paleo or primal cookbook from the library and see if you could eat this way, increasing toward a goal. Maybe start 50% daily paleo eating and move toward 90-100%. Cut out sugar, grains (yes, even "whole" grains), and all/most processed foods, combined with some form of exercise (walking, swimming, biking, rebounder, whatever!) WILL do it for you.

Just start at a reasonable, but noticeable point. Do 50% paleo for a couple weeks, increase every few weeks. Same with some cardio and then add in some strength exercises.

Search the forums...lots of talk about paleo lately and exercise programs. Best to you!

My easy solution has ben this: I have a fitbit pedometer and it links up with My Fitness Pal on my phone. I have a 1200 calorie a day food allowance, but I can earn more calories by walking over 10K steps a day.

I started going for a walk after lunch and dinner every day. It's a mile if I do a complete loop around my neighborhood, and it's a wonderful break to do 2-3 loops at night while listening to music. The sunshine and mental break are HUGE in improving my mood so I don't eat for emotional reasons.

It's been a little over 2 weeks and I have lost about 5lbs. It's not a bad start. :) I have about 15-20lbs left to go, and I'm not overwhelmed at all. I can do this.

Check out a paleo or primal cookbook from the library and see if you could eat this way, increasing toward a goal. Maybe start 50% daily paleo eating and move toward 90-100%. Cut out sugar, grains (yes, even "whole" grains), and all/most processed foods, combined with some form of exercise (walking, swimming, biking, rebounder, whatever!) WILL do it for you.

Just start at a reasonable, but noticeable point. Do 50% paleo for a couple weeks, increase every few weeks. Same with some cardio and then add in some strength exercises.

Search the forums...lots of talk about paleo lately and exercise programs. Best to you!

:iagree: My health issues finally outweighed my love of bread and sugar. I also am a former vegetarian who disliked meat. I would eat a tiny nibble sometimes. I cut out gluten and my carnivore instincts kicked in. But I also lost 20+ lbs. and had many health issues go away. Now I'm going mostly primal and no nightshades because of joint problems. It's only been 5 days, and I already see pain improvement. It's not that hard, too, and now I crave things like steak and my cravings for sweets are starting to go away. I still make primal treats-I made monkey bread the other day with no sugar besides maple syrup and dates and no grains. :lol: The kids could not eat enough. It was fantastic. But it was also difficult enough that I can't eat them often because I don't have time to make them! :tongue_smilie:

I have lost 48 pounds and this is my final attempt to get to goal....I had trouble doing both diet and exercise...I would do well on one but not both. Finally, have both working and feel so much better!

No sugar, but if it is a special occasion will allow less than 5 bites of something

No sodas...diet or otherwise

Added in raw veggies and fruits, make them about half my diet

If I have grains, it will be less than 1/2 a cup

Try to keep deli roast beef on hand, my iron gets really low and it will makes a difference in my energy level

Drink water, skim milk or unsweet tea but 80% water mainly

Walking 3-4 miles a day...

It is melting off...but if I have a day where I have to have a slice of Sam's club pizza, I have it..but keep my other meals raw veggies

Good luck, buckle down, you will feel better!

You might want to start by giving up refined sugar. I did that to try to stop sugar crashes in the afternoon and a wonderful side effect was losing weight! I then also gave up gluten because of stomach issues, and again, lost weight! Now I eat mostly grain free and dairy free also. I don't have to count calories and I do eat a lot of healthy fats- coconut oil & milk, avocados, nuts, etc. I find it very easy to maintain my weight as long as I stick to this way of eating. I would suggest giving up one thing at a time - if you do it all at once it can be very overwhelming. Best of luck:)

:iagree: My health issues finally outweighed my love of bread and sugar. I also am a former vegetarian who disliked meat. I would eat a tiny nibble sometimes. I cut out gluten and my carnivore instincts kicked in. But I also lost 20+ lbs. and had many health issues go away. Now I'm going mostly primal and no nightshades because of joint problems. It's only been 5 days, and I already see pain improvement. It's not that hard, too, and now I crave things like steak and my cravings for sweets are starting to go away. I still make primal treats-I made monkey bread the other day with no sugar besides maple syrup and dates and no grains. :lol: The kids could not eat enough. It was fantastic. But it was also difficult enough that I can't eat them often because I don't have time to make them! :tongue_smilie:

I have lost 48 pounds and this is my final attempt to get to goal....I had trouble doing both diet and exercise...I would do well on one but not both. Finally, have both working and feel so much better!

No sugar, but if it is a special occasion will allow less than 5 bites of something

Try to keep deli roast beef on hand, my iron gets really low and it will makes a difference in my energy level

It is melting off...but if I have a day where I have to have a slice of Sam's club pizza, I have it..but keep my other meals raw veggies

I like the idea of low carb, but since I'm not a big meat eater, I would like to include some beans and a small amount of whole grains as well. I guess my biggest questions are:

• What about dairy? I'm not a milk drinker, but I do like to use Fage Greek yogurt in an occassional smoothie.
  • Gluten...should I also try to move toward a gluten free diet? If I don't have stomach issues, would going gluten free help?
  • What is the significance in eating raw veggies vs. cooking them? More nutrients?
  • What types of oils are best to use? I have both EVOO and coconut oil.

I know it is probably trial and error to figure out what is best for me, but I love hearing others' stories of what worked for them.

Also, one of my goals is to get over my pasta/bread/sweets addiction. I wonder if reducing my carbs might help?

Thanks!!!

My advice is just to eat waaay less than you think you need. This is the only way I lose weight. If I press in to weight loss, I will eat only when I feel hungry and then eat only enough to feel satisfied, not stuffed. Lather, rinse, repeat. This hasn't messed with my metabolism as many state/fear. If I lived this way all the time, the pounds would drop off and stay off. I'm battling much of the same right now -- I like to eat. I like sweet things, I like bread, I like butter and cheese and eggs. None of these things is bad necessarily, but I eat too much of them. When I eat once or twice a day, tasty and satisfying meals, I feel so much better and I lose weight. When I'm eating so much less, I choose what I do eat with more care. I make it count, and I make it yummy. I don't worry as much about avoiding certain types of foods; I just naturally choose better things.

I like the idea of low carb, but since I'm not a big meat eater, I would like to include some beans and a small amount of whole grains as well. I guess my biggest questions are:

• What about dairy? I'm not a milk drinker, but I do like to use Fage Greek yogurt in an occassional smoothie.
  • Gluten...should I also try to move toward a gluten free diet? If I don't have stomach issues, would going gluten free help?
  • What is the significance in eating raw veggies vs. cooking them? More nutrients?

I know it is probably trial and error to figure out what is best for me, but I love hearing others' stories of what worked for them.

Also, one of my goals is to get over my pasta/bread/sweets addiction. I wonder if reducing my carbs might help?

Thanks!!!

Primal allows for whole-milk yogurt in moderation, I believe.

Sugar and some grains (especially wheat) seem to be an appetite stimlulant for a lot of people. Myself included. Eliminating them, even for a short time, helps with weight loss. Wheat does not give me stomach issues, but it makes me feel tired, lazy, and hungry. Rice doesn't seem to be as bad for those issues.

I also had a major pasta/bread/sweets addiction. Reducing them did not help, I had to completely eliminate them for a week or two for the cravings to go away. No sugar, no grains, no beans. It was a rough week, but worth it. Your tastes change, FYI, and you might find that meat is more appealing. I wasn't a huge meat eater, but I like it a lot more now. Fruit seems ok for me in moderation. A very small serving of rice on rare occasions, but only in the evening and only if I can be careful to not go nuts that night or the next morning, otherwise all the cravings come crashing back. I'm experimenting with dairy but starting to suspect that dairy is not something that my body likes very much.

I'm not exactly low carb since I still eat a fair bit of fruit and some sweet potato, but I have lost about 17lbs in 2 months. It's not spectacular, but I'm still working out which "cheats" are ok for me and which ones mess me up for a week or more. When I am fully Paleo compliant I lose 2-3lbs a week, at least, and easily with more energy and feeling great. I don't do any "added" exercise as I have three little kids at home and no time, lol. Thankfully eating like this is, while not EASY, at least SIMPLE.

Ultimately, I think it's a matter of calories in/calories out as you mentioned. I'm using an app called "Lose It" to track my calorie budget for each day, and I have found that really easy and quick to use. For me, writing down what I eat (or logging it in on the app) makes a world of difference. I've lost 15 pounds in 4 months (trying to lose it at a sensible rate while developing habits I hope to be able to maintain).

Yes - exercise. (Then you can "afford" to eat more!) :)

Yes - fiber/whole grains/produce will fill you up and give you needed nutrients.

And I tend to save a lot of my calories for later in the day, telling myself that "I can have that if I want it, but I'll just wait a little while." That way I don't wind up having spent all of my calorie budget too early in the day. I've even had days when I looked at the list of what I had eaten and realized I needed to consume a lot more calories - so I took my daughter out for an ice cream cone! That doesn't happen often - it's all about balance.

I wish you much success - you can do it!

We switched to a Paleo diet January 1, and have stuck with it. DH has lost 25 lbs, and I've lost 13lbs. I wish it was more, but my body loses weight slowly. I had a MASSIVE sweet tooth, but managed to kick the habit. We eat a lot of food, and as long as we stick within the parameters (meat/fish/veggies/some fruit and some nuts/eggs), we can eat what we want. I do not count calories. I just at until I am full.

We will not be returning to a standard diet. We've seen way too many benefits in all of us to do that.

That is awesome!

I would need a bit more protein than that (or do you have more protein since you said fruits and veggies are half of your diet? What is the other half?)

That is how I would feel best as well.

Dawn

Sugar and some grains (especially wheat) seem to be an appetite stimlulant for a lot of people. Myself included. Eliminating them, even for a short time, helps with weight loss.

I also had a major pasta/bread/sweets addiction. Reducing them did not help, I had to completely eliminate them ... A very small serving of rice on rare occasions, but only in the evening and only if I can be careful to not go nuts that night or the next morning, otherwise all the cravings come crashing back.

:iagree:

I think I've been able to manage something similar with my postponing strategy. I'll eat mostly proteins (deli turkey) and vegetables earlier in the day. I can eat whole-wheat pizza crust w/veggies in the evening and be fine. I can even eat a whole-grain banana muffin as a late evening snack and be fine. But if I eat a sandwich (two pieces of white bread w/something) at lunch or spaghetti for supper, I just feel like I can't get enough to eat and all my good habits fly right out the window. You'll probably learn what your triggers are and then you can know to avoid those. And if you "fall off the wagon," all is not lost. Just get back to it.

(That was supposed to be a quote at the top - sorry - still learning how to do this!)

Edited by lakerks
trying to fix quote

I'd recommend checking into Dr. McDougall's plan. http://www.drmcdougall.com I've seen so many good things come from this plan. You'll be able to have grains and potatoes (which I love!). Fifty pounds of weight dropped off almost effortlessly, I eat all that I want and I am being proactive in keeping myself healthy to avoid heart attack or diabetes. He has the whole plan on his site for free and there is a good message board as well. Eat to Live is another good program but the grains are very limited. Let me know if you have any questions about this program, I absolutely love it, it's been such a blessing to me and to my family.

I've lost about 58 lbs (since December) by cutting out all grains for the most part. No bread, rice, pasta, crackers, cookies, cakes, etc- if it had flour in it, I didn't eat it, except on certain special occasions. I also gave up white potatoes and only ate some sweet potatoes and squash and stuff like that.

By default this meant I also cut a lot of sugar out of my diet since the cakes, cookies, cereals and so on were gone (no flour)!

I drink mostly water (occasional milk), no juice or soda.

I walk for exercise.

I still eat fat- butter, full-fat peanut butter, healthy oils, full-fat mayo, and so on, so it was NOT a low-fat/fat-free diet. And other than that, I did not count points, calories, obsess over everything I put in my mouth (like I did all those years on Weight Watchers), just ate whatever else I wanted until I wasn't feeling hungry.

I stick to mainly whole, natural foods rather than processed stuff- I eat any poultry, beef, pork, seafood etc that I want, nuts, dairy, fruits, veggies and so on.

It works really well. And yes it's hard in the first week or two but you do get used to it and break that cycle of addiction. Read the South Beach Diet book if you never have. It explains it really well. It was my doctor who told me my insulin levels were high and that my body couldn't handle all the carbs and the sugars in the carbs that I was eating and that I needed a lower carb diet like South Beach or Sugar Busters rather than WW. So I read SBD, followed it for like two weeks, and then just morphed into doing my own thing that included no grains.

Edited by NanceXToo

I've done it all, Atkins - works great for me, South Beach...more of the same. Very effective. But I've been under some tremendous stress and I've managed to get 40 pounds over weight, and I could not get myself to fight it in any way. I'd eat to stuff down the stress.

I'm currently on MediFast. IT is working so well! It is expensive (a little under $300 per mo.) but it is working so fast that I probably won't be on it for that long. It has been 4 weeks and I've lost 17 pounds! And it is the easiest thing I've ever done - because the food is right there.

I realize not everyone can afford it, but if it is in your realm, it is really great.

Thanks!!!

Phase 1 of south beach allows dairy, I think it is very important to not do diets that restrict natural foods...okay for a week, but do not cut out fruit or dairy for long. Raw fruits and veggies require more chewing and it burns more calories to digest them, more nutrients available and gives your body the trigger of fullness sooner..plus it limits the amount of additives either you add while cooking or are already in the can. (salt, oils, butter etc.)

Yes! Doing a low carb plan for a week or two def helps with the cravings, I was a huge carb junkie, but now my body does fine with one slice of whole grain every other day, no pasta or rice for me t least until I get to goal. Then only on special occasions.

I think cutting out things with refined sugar is a good start. I would also suggest that every meal be at least 50% fruit or veggies (with veggies being better). Since summer is coming it's a bit easier. Lots of salad, lots of greens. Green smoothies for breakfast, large salads for lunch, and a simple dinner with lots of fresh veggies.

If you eat more good stuff you will eat less bad. But it's a process, but it seems like you already know that :001_smile:

Guest Preston

You should go for a walk daily and avoid all junk foods and oil mic foods for loss your weight and you should also take fresh juices and fresh vegetables in your foods.

Exercise is also a best way to loss your weight.

For those of you who cut sugar out of your diet, did that include fruit, or only certain fruits?

Can someone explain what a "paleo" diet is?

If you have done "fit for life", is it possible to follow the diet if you don't like beans?

My mom was just diagnosed with diabetes and I have similar eating habits as her. I know I am heading down the same road. The problem is...I just don't even know how to get started.

I am a former vegetarian (not the healthy kind, unfortunately) who loves carbs. I like bread, pasta and sweets. I mean, who doesn't, right? :D I eat meat now sometimes, but prefer it to be breaded or have lots of sauce, as I don't really enjoy the taste.

I have a family history of diabetes too -- grandparents and great-grandparents who died from it. Luckily my parents, so far, seem okay. But with their eating habits, I don't expect that to last. :( When my grandmother died from a diabetic stroke, that was a wake-up call for me. That's what it took for me to realize that the low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet I had always believed was healthy was in fact deadly.

I'm a former vegetarian too, and I lived on bread, pasta, and yes sugar. I knew that sugar was bad (though I had no idea just how bad), but I was addicted to the stuff. And here's what most people don't want to admit: bread and pasta, whole grain or not, become sugar in your body. The good news is that the addiction CAN be broken. I'm saying this as someone whose idea of a good meal used to consist of dry toast dipped in low-fat mashed potatoes followed by some low-fat cookies. :ack2: I now LOVE low-carb foods (not just the meat, cheese, and eggs that everyone first thinks of, but also vegetables, which I had little to no appetite for when I was a vegetarian, ironically enough), I do not miss bread or pasta at all, and my sweet tooth can now be completely satisfied by a little piece of dark chocolate or some fresh berries with cream.

I can't tell you how much healthier I am now that I eat low carb. I can actually put on a little muscle tone, which for me is borderline miraculous. I weigh less now at the age of 38 than I did when I was 18. I sleep well, and my moods and emotions are improved. My skin looks better (I have always struggled with acne). My chronic digestive problems have gone away. And best of all, I actually have a functioning immune system! When I ate low-fat, high-carb, I was *constantly* getting food poisoning, colds, sinus infections, etc. It is such a relief to not be sick all the time!

I have always followed the "calorie in, calorie out" theory on weight loss, but I am wondering if I need to focus even more on the types of foods I am eating.

Yep, you hit the nail on the head! Calories in, calories out is a joke. The way a calorie is measured is by incinerating a food and measuring the thermal output. Last time I checked, my stomach was not an incinerator. It's utterly irrelevant how much heat a food puts out when it is literally burned. Your body does not "burn" food, contrary to the popular lingo. The way your body responds to a calorie of carbohydrate is COMPLETELY different from the way it responds to a calorie of protein or a calorie of fat.

High blood sugar levels are toxic for your body, so toxic that when you eat a huge amount of carbohydrate, your body has to release a huge amount of insulin in response, to get your blood sugar back down to a safe level as soon as possible. Insulin moves sugar from your bloodstream into your cells. If there is more sugar than your muscles and organs can use, guess which cells the sugar goes into. Fat cells. And if you do this over the course of many years, you can actually wear out your pancreas, and voila: diabetes.

The normal amount of sugar you have in your entire blood stream in your ENTIRE body at a given time should be around a teaspoon. One teaspoon! So think what happens to your body when you eat something like that meal I used to eat of toast (which is sugar), mashed potatoes (which are sugar), and a sugary dessert (yet more sugar!). How much sugar is in that? I don't even know, but it's way more than a teaspoon! Your body goes into absolute panic mode to get your blood sugar back down to a normal level. And all that excess sugar gets stored as fat.

I follow the diet laid out in Protein Power and I've never been healthier. This is the way I plan to eat for the rest of my life. I'm not going around half-starved like I did when I ate low-fat. I feel great, I'm healthy, I have steady energy, and I'm at the low end of a normal weight range for my height. And I'm not addicted to carbs any more! If I can do that, trust me, you can do it too. I am so not the queen of willpower. In fact I don't think it has much to do with willpower at all. It has to do with body chemistry. And you can change yours by eating the right foods and avoiding the wrong ones.

I've lost about 58 lbs (since December) by cutting out all grains for the most part. No bread, rice, pasta, crackers, cookies, cakes, etc- if it had flour in it, I didn't eat it, except on certain special occasions. I also gave up white potatoes and only ate some sweet potatoes and squash and stuff like that.

By default this meant I also cut a lot of sugar out of my diet since the cakes, cookies, cereals and so on were gone (no flour)!

I drink mostly water (occasional milk), no juice or soda.

I walk for exercise.

I still eat fat- butter, full-fat peanut butter, healthy oils, full-fat mayo, and so on, so it was NOT a low-fat/fat-free diet. And other than that, I did not count points, calories, obsess over everything I put in my mouth (like I did all those years on Weight Watchers), just ate whatever else I wanted until I wasn't feeling hungry.

I stick to mainly whole, natural foods rather than processed stuff- I eat any poultry, beef, pork, seafood etc that I want, nuts, dairy, fruits, veggies and so on.

It works really well. And yes it's hard in the first week or two but you do get used to it and break that cycle of addiction. Read the South Beach Diet book if you never have. It explains it really well. It was my doctor who told me my insulin levels were high and that my body couldn't handle all the carbs and the sugars in the carbs that I was eating and that I needed a lower carb diet like South Beach or Sugar Busters rather than WW. So I read SBD, followed it for like two weeks, and then just morphed into doing my own thing that included no grains.

Congrats! That is just awesome. :) Can you tell me what a day of eating might look like for you? My problem is that I don't really like meat and I HATE eggs! Is there some way I could eat like this but still masquerade the taste of the meat/eggs?

Yep, you hit the nail on the head! Calories in, calories out is a joke. The way a calorie is measured is by incinerating a food and measuring the thermal output. Last time I checked, my stomach was not an incinerator. It's utterly irrelevant how much heat a food puts out when it is literally burned. Your body does not "burn" food, contrary to the popular lingo. The way your body responds to a calorie of carbohydrate is COMPLETELY different from the way it responds to a calorie of protein or a calorie of fat.

High blood sugar levels are toxic for your body, so toxic that when you eat a huge amount of carbohydrate, your body has to release a huge amount of insulin in response, to get your blood sugar back down to a safe level as soon as possible. Insulin moves sugar from your bloodstream into your cells. If there is more sugar than your muscles and organs can use, guess which cells the sugar goes into. Fat cells. And if you do this over the course of many years, you can actually wear out your pancreas, and voila: diabetes.

The normal amount of sugar you have in your entire blood stream in your ENTIRE body at a given time should be around a teaspoon. One teaspoon! So think what happens to your body when you eat something like that meal I used to eat of toast (which is sugar), mashed potatoes (which are sugar), and a sugary dessert (yet more sugar!). How much sugar is in that? I don't even know, but it's way more than a teaspoon! Your body goes into absolute panic mode to get your blood sugar back down to a normal level. And all that excess sugar gets stored as fat.

I follow the diet laid out in Protein Power and I've never been healthier. This is the way I plan to eat for the rest of my life. I'm not going around half-starved like I did when I ate low-fat. I feel great, I'm healthy, I have steady energy, and I'm at the low end of a normal weight range for my height. And I'm not addicted to carbs any more! If I can do that, trust me, you can do it too. I am so not the queen of willpower. In fact I don't think it has much to do with willpower at all. It has to do with body chemistry. And you can change yours by eating the right foods and avoiding the wrong ones.

:iagree::iagree:

For exersize, can you lift weights? Some ten pounders from Waluniverse? There's a great book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women that would work well for you.

Whole dairy (meaning full fat) without added sugar is absolutely fine on a low-carb diet. I eat Greek yogurt with some fresh berries and chopped nuts, and I use half-and-half in my morning smoothie.

I don't know. I did it for the stomach issues. You could try it for 30 days, then add gluten back, and see how it affects you. But if you're not having digestive issues, I wouldn't make that the top priority. Counting and limiting your carbs should be your top priority, IMHO.

Cooking does make the vitamins more readily absorbed, but it also makes the carbohydrates more readily absorbed. I think a mixture of raw and cooked is probably best. And I always eat my veggies with a little fat (coconut oil or butter with cooked, olive oil dressing with raw) because that helps your body absorb the fat-soluble nutrients in the veggies. And they taste so much better that way too. ;)

I have those two on hand always, as well as butter and palm oil. I like to use a little peanut oil with stir-fry as well because I love the taste. Canola oil, corn oil, and other vegetable oils like that are not allowed in my house at all!

YES! It will help TREMENDOUSLY! I was stunned the first time I dropped my carb intake down to 72 grams or less per day to find that my appetite decreased and my cravings for carbs were dramatically reduced.

One warning, though. Have you heard of the "Atkins flu"? If you go low-carb suddenly (which, incidentally, you do NOT have to do, you can reduce gradually), then on the third or fourth day, when your body has run out of glycogen stores but not made the switch to a fat-burning metabolism yet, you will likely feel pretty crappy. Really lethargic and run-down, maybe a little queasy (that's how it affected me). But hang in there because once your body makes it through that transition, you will feel great! The WORST thing you can do at that point is to give in and eat some carbs. Drink lots of water. Eat plenty of fat and protein. And you'll make it.

Congrats! That is just awesome. :) Can you tell me what a day of eating might look like for you? My problem is that I don't really like meat and I HATE eggs! Is there some way I could eat like this but still masquerade the taste of the meat/eggs?

Often for breakfast I have a smoothie (yogurt, milk, fruit and ice). Sometimes fruit and cheese, sometimes eggs/omelets etc.

Lunch might be salads with coldcuts or "BLT" salads with bacon and avacado, or tuna salad in it, or an apple with peanut butter or cold cut roll ups or whatever.

Dinner would be whatever meat, poultry or seafood I wanted with extra veggies or sweet potato or squash.

Snacks could be nuts, cheese, fruit, yogurt, hardboiled eggs and so on.

I rarely crave "dessert" anymore but once in a while I might have a sugar free jello or pudding or some sort of fruit at night, or a banana with peanut butter and raisins, etc.

For exersize, can you lift weights? Some ten pounders from Waluniverse? There's a great book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women that would work well for you.

Ooh, I want this book too! :D I have suffered from chronic pain for years, from breaking my tailbone when I was 12. Only recently, 26 years after the injury(!!), have I finally discovered that nothing helps like weightlifting. It took some experimenting, but I finally found which muscles I must exercise and which ones I much stretch (and just as importantly, which ones I must NEVER stretch) to be pain-free. Cardio never helped half as much, and yoga actually made it worse. I'm a believer in weight-lifting now. But I'm sure I could use some additional guidance and help. I started with the Slow Burn method, and I liked it. Lately I've just kind of been doing my own thing. I know your suggestion was meant for the OP, but I appreciate it too! Thanks! :001_smile:

For those of you who cut sugar out of your diet, did that include fruit, or only certain fruits?

Can someone explain what a "paleo" diet is?

If you have done "fit for life", is it possible to follow the diet if you don't like beans?

I cut out all fruit for about a week to get over the cravings. Now I eat them - maybe a piece or two a day. I try to favor lower sugar fruits (berries) but usually end up eating whatever my kids are having, lol.

Paleo is short for "Paleolithic" - it is a diet that attempts to eat only foods that our pre-agricultural ancestors ate. The idea is that those are the foods that provide the best fuel for our bodies with the fewest problems because that is what we evolved to eat. Primal is similar, though allows more modern foods.

What is and isn't included, exactly, on Paleo or Primal is somewhat open to interpretation. Generally though:

Paleo: No grains, no sugar, no sweeteners (except raw honey in small amounts), no white potatoes, no legumes (peanuts or beans), no dairy, no processed foods, no vegetable or other processed oils.

Primal: Allows some dairy if you can tolerate it, and is more relaxed about artificial sweeteners. Sometimes encourages high-fat foods. Otherwise similar to Paleo.

Both diets encourage you to eat meat and vegetables as your primary foods, with some fruit. Both diets encourage water as the primary beverage.

Phase 1 of south beach allows dairy, I think it is very important to not do diets that restrict natural foods...okay for a week, but do not cut out fruit or dairy for long. Raw fruits and veggies require more chewing and it burns more calories to digest them, more nutrients available and gives your body the trigger of fullness sooner..plus it limits the amount of additives either you add while cooking or are already in the can. (salt, oils, butter etc.)

Yes! Doing a low carb plan for a week or two def helps with the cravings, I was a huge carb junkie, but now my body does fine with one slice of whole grain every other day, no pasta or rice for me t least until I get to goal. Then only on special occasions.

I like the South Beach diet (read the book to help you understand the "whys") because it helps you reduce your sugar cravings, allows you to eat fruits and other healthy starches (once said cravings are eliminated), and promotes healthy eating for a lifetime.

But of course, there seems to be a diet for everyone.

I have a family history of diabetes too -- grandparents and great-grandparents who died from it. Luckily my parents, so far, seem okay. But with their eating habits, I don't expect that to last. :( When my grandmother died from a diabetic stroke, that was a wake-up call for me. That's what it took for me to realize that the low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet I had always believed was healthy was in fact deadly.

I'm a former vegetarian too, and I lived on bread, pasta, and yes sugar. I knew that sugar was bad (though I had no idea just how bad), but I was addicted to the stuff. And here's what most people don't want to admit: bread and pasta, whole grain or not, become sugar in your body. The good news is that the addiction CAN be broken. I'm saying this as someone whose idea of a good meal used to consist of dry toast dipped in low-fat mashed potatoes followed by some low-fat cookies. :ack2: I now LOVE low-carb foods (not just the meat, cheese, and eggs that everyone first thinks of, but also vegetables, which I had little to no appetite for when I was a vegetarian, ironically enough), I do not miss bread or pasta at all, and my sweet tooth can now be completely satisfied by a little piece of dark chocolate or some fresh berries with cream.

I can't tell you how much healthier I am now that I eat low carb. I can actually put on a little muscle tone, which for me is borderline miraculous. I weigh less now at the age of 38 than I did when I was 18. I sleep well, and my moods and emotions are improved. My skin looks better (I have always struggled with acne). My chronic digestive problems have gone away. And best of all, I actually have a functioning immune system! When I ate low-fat, high-carb, I was *constantly* getting food poisoning, colds, sinus infections, etc. It is such a relief to not be sick all the time!

Thank you SO much! I really think this is the best explanation I have ever read about the difference in calorie counting and carb counting.

So, if I toss out the idea of calories and instead focus on carbs, I'm still going to have to track my food, right? To determine how many carbs I'm eating a day, I mean. My big question is...how many carbs SHOULD I be eating daily? Should I split up the total by meal or is it better to eat more in the morning? I guess I am afraid I will start to eat too many lower/no carb foods, which I doubt would help with weight loss.

I know I can eat big salads each day for lunch. What type of dressings should I use? Any good bottled ones out there, or do I need to make my own (and if so, how)?

What about beans? Can I still eat beans in moderation (as a meat substitute)?

Again, thank you. Loved this post :)

Often for breakfast I have a smoothie (yogurt, milk, fruit and ice). Sometimes fruit and cheese, sometimes eggs/omelets etc.

Lunch might be salads with coldcuts or "BLT" salads with bacon and avacado, or tuna salad in it, or an apple with peanut butter or cold cut roll ups or whatever.

Dinner would be whatever meat, poultry or seafood I wanted with extra veggies or sweet potato or squash.

Snacks could be nuts, cheese, fruit, yogurt, hardboiled eggs and so on.

I rarely crave "dessert" anymore but once in a while I might have a sugar free jello or pudding or some sort of fruit at night, or a banana with peanut butter and raisins, etc.

Thanks for sharing your menu! Do you limit the amounts that you eat? I am so used to focusing on calorie counting that I am scared that I will go overboard and eat too much food.

So, if I toss out the idea of calories and instead focus on carbs, I'm still going to have to track my food, right? To determine how many carbs I'm eating a day, I mean.

I do. I simply keep a running count of my carb grams (total carbohydrate minus dietary fiber gives you net carbs, because your body doesn't digest the fiber) throughout the day. Another method is to simply avoid those foods you know are high in carbs and limit yourselves to the ones that are low. It's really up to you. But I find that keeping a count helps keep me on track. You can buy a book of food counts and/or an app if you have an iPhone or similar device, or you can use any number of online food tracking websites. I don't care for the online ones personally because I haven't found one that will track carbs ONLY, and they always tell me my fat intake is too high, which just annoys me! :D There are some apps which are made specifically to count carbs only, so I prefer those for electronic tracking. I've been doing this for so long now that I know the carb counts for most of the foods I eat, so I just jot it down in a little notebook. Whatever works!

My big question is...how many carbs SHOULD I be eating daily?
And you'll find a number of different answers to that question, I'm afraid.

I like Protein Power, because that plan fits me really well. 55 grams per day. That amount is just perfect for me. Any more than that, and my carb cravings come back, and worse than that I get reactive hypoglycemia. Any less than that, and I get TOO skinny. The first plan I tried was Life Without Bread, which limits you to 72g or 108g depending on your age, health, and goals. Atkins limits you to a mere 20g per day for the first two weeks, to really kick-start your weight loss. Then you gradually increase to find the level that is right for you. That's what my brother did, and he loves it. I don't do well limiting myself that much, even if it is just temporary.

So it's really up to you how you want to approach it. You could go really low and then gradually increase to find your magic number. Or you could start high (say 100g) and gradually decrease until you find your magic number. You could also try following a particular plan. There are lots of great books and programs out there. Protein Power is my favorite. Dana Carpender's book is a good one to start with because she describes a number of different plans. I also really enjoy her podcasts, and her blog ("Hold the Toast").

ETA: One great thing about following a book or program is that they usually give you lots of recipes and menu plans to help you get started. That can be a GREAT help in the beginning when you're probably wondering, "well if I'm not going to eat carbs, what AM I going to eat?" Dana Carpender has lots of low-carb cookbooks, and that can be a tremendous help as well.

Should I split up the total by meal or is it better to eat more in the morning?
Yes, divide your total for the day up by your meals (and snacks if you snack). But it's actually better to eat a bit LESS carbohydrate in the morning. This is because of the "dawn phenomenon". Your body naturally raises your blood sugar first thing in the morning to give you the energy to procure your breakfast (this mechanism dates back before refrigerators and microwaves, when you actually had to go to some trouble to get your food! :D ) So since your blood sugar is already a little higher than normal fasting levels, you can get buy with less carbohydrate for breakfast.

I limit my carbs to 15 grams for breakfast, 20g each for lunch and dinner, and I only have one small mid-afternoon snack which is generally 0g, but sometimes as much as 5g of carbs.

I guess I am afraid I will start to eat too many lower/no carb foods, which I doubt would help with weight loss.
The first few days, you may find yourself pigging out on low-carb foods, and that's really okay. Once you get through the metabolic transition, you will find that your appetite decreases noticeably. And then you probably won't need to worry about it. *Most* people find that limiting their carbs is all that's required to lose and maintain weight. I eat all I want of LC foods, but the amount I naturally want is just what my body needs. Some people have metabolisms so damaged that they do have to limit their protein and fat intake even when doing low-carb. But most people can limit their carb intake and then just let their appetite be their guide on protein/fat foods.

I know I can eat big salads each day for lunch. What type of dressings should I use? Any good bottled ones out there, or do I need to make my own (and if so, how)?
I use a simple olive oil and vinegar dressing, because that's what I like the most. Most bottled dressings have canola and/or soybean oil, which I do not eat, and many are hydrogenated at that. I'm sorry I can't recommend a good brand, but maybe someone else will jump in here and do so.

I don't, but you can if you really like them. Just be aware that beans are actually only 22% protein and 75% carbohydrate. So you will have to limit them. Definitely include them in your carb count!

You're very welcome, and I'm happy to help further if I can. This is one of my favorite topics. :001_smile: Edited by GretaLynne

Drink water, skim milk or unsweetened tea but 80% water mainly

This is very close to how I have lost 47 lbs since late August. I have about 12 - 15 more to go.

I started with frequent, small meals, lots of veggies, a bit of fruit, whole grains, etc. Plus - long walks with dog. And 30+ minutes exercising with various wii games. I have gone from wii-fit plus stuff to Exerbeat boxercising and Gold's Gym Dance Workout (again - the boxercising stuff) PLUS since Christmas have been adding in strength training every other day.

I use : http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336059877&sr=8-2

and also http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Whey-Protein-Isolate-100%25/dp/B0015AQL1Q/ref=sr_1_14?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1336059921&sr=1-14

which mixes into water and is easy to drink - twice the protein of milk for not too many calories. Reading the New Rules books explains the need to increase protein to get stronger AND how adding muscle can help increase metabolism, thus burning more fat. I also contacted the company that makes this powder, and it has only a trace of lactose in it, so safe for most folks with lactose-intolerance.

I have gone from size 14 (almost needed to buy some 16s) to now am in 6 and am almost comfortable in size 4 (I go by the sizing of my fav. "Mom jeans" - Amanda by Gloria Vanderbilt.)

Unlike when I tried Adkins, if I want to have a dessert once in a while it is no biggie - but I have found that now that I feel healthier I do NOT CRAVE THE CARBS!!!! And if I do have a bit of ice cream or a cookie - I may well feel crappy after wards, get a mild headache - I really do not enjoy how a big dose of sugar makes me feel, now, so it is easy to pass them by.

I'd start by slowly cutting back, maybe one week give up sodas, next week use Splenda instead of sugar in your tea or coffee, then brown rice instead of white, etc. etc. I have fresh-cut raw veggies (I love colored bell peppers) in 'fridge for a snack. I eat big salads with two kinds of lettuce and baby spinach - I use no dressing (never cared for it) but there are low-fat ones, and spray-on dressings that add minimal calories (and if they make the salad taste good so you eat it - worth the few added calories!)

I might add - I use the wii (and now strength train) at home in the privacy of my living room when no one is around to see me. I have no excuse not to exercise - the stuff I need is right here at home. The cost of getting some free weights, etc. was less than the cost of a gym membership or classes.

Do not look at the big picture of "oh I need to lose a zillion pounds and it will take forever" Think - " I am doing this FOR ME and will lose 4 pounds this month and start having three or four big green salads a week instead of a big lunch this month." Small, doable goals. Once you start seeing the scale go down or your pants get loose it becomes easier to keep going.

PS _ I am 5'1 (and a half) inches tall. I was just about to hit 179 lbs. Now I am at 131 (and a half - I got a big scale like at doctor's office to keep track) and aiming to crack 120 by end of June. If I can do this at age 52, you can do it.

Edited by JFSinIL

I'm now eating about what Nance does.

B: Green smoothie - 2 c raw spinach, 1 c mixed frozen berries, 1/2 c plain greek yogurt, 1 orange (so that's my 2 fruits for the day) This is my favorite breakfast as I am not a big breakfast eater and I hate to have to get up and eat a big meal, even though I know I should. My variation on this would be if I know I am going out for the evening I will have a couple of hard boiled eggs for breakfast and save the smoothie for my dinner. I love this smoothie as it's sweet enough for me, and makes sure I get those dark berries and dark greens in that I might not otherwise (I have a harder time eating spinach in a salad and I abhor it cooked).

L: giant salad. I keep cucumber, celery, peppers, and lettuces already chopped and ready to go so I have no excuse. I also brown 1lb of ground turkey and season it with taco seasoning (homemade) and then freeze in 3oz portions so I can add that to my salad. My dressing for that one is usually 1/4 salsa mixed with 2 tbsp of Ranch dressing (I just use Hidden Valley Ranch). Another one I like is to add a small can of chicken to the greens, sometimes a bit of crumbled bacon and maybe 1/2 a hard boiled egg. The dressing for that is 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar or balsamic, and a squirt of dijon mustard.

Snacks: I don't eat them much. I do keep the EAS Carb Control Shakes on hand for emergencies. Sometimes a piece of string cheese. Sometimes just a teaspoon of peanut butter scooped out of the jar (natural, no sugar!)

Dinner: I make this HUGE pot of soup. It's chicken broth, carrot, celery, onion, cabbage, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, swiss chard or kale. Maybe some other things depending on what's around. I season it simply with salt and garlic and pepper. Then I freeze it in 3c portions. I can pull that out, add some chicken and season it with some marinara sauce to make it italian, or salsa to make it mexican, or a dash of soy sauce for chinese. It hits the spot I tell you! Tons of veggies and very, very low in calories.

I also love, love, love veggies roasted in olive oil. I often do that, like combos of red peppers-onion-zucchini or brussel sprouts, or broccoli and cauliflower. Add a protein to the side and I am good to go.

So yes, this does mean that often I don't eat what my family is eating. My dh just got the news yesterday that his triglycerides are high again after dropping his statin and losing his job (where we ate cheap for 6 months and both gained 20 lbs :glare:). Come h3ll or high water I am keeping us healthy! He's going to eat what I eat. For my kids I will make baked oatmeal the night before for breakfast (I will have dh eat this too) and I will often make batches of rice and pasta to freeze in smaller portions so I can add it to their meal.

I think the key here is planning. Have the veggies purchased, washed and even cut up ready to go. Start with the veggies in your meal planning. Find the ones you like but keep adding new ones so you don't get bored. Keep frozen veggies and fruits on had for soups and smoothies so you don't waste too much as you are changing your plan.

Good luck on your journey. I gleaned my plan mostly from the 17 Day Diet because what he said about a bit or probiotic dairy resonated with me. I have problems with chronic constipation and thought I needed some work on gut health. But all these low carb plans are much the same.

I will say I do count my calories. I use the myfitnesspal app on my phone and also online. I feel that I am this person

Some people have metabolisms so damaged that they do have to limit their protein and fat intake even when doing low-carb.
I keep my carbs around 65 (I can't get much lower with the 2 fruits, bit of dairy, and all those veggies). My calories are usually between 1300 and 1500. Even at that level last week I only lost 4 lbs. My thyroid is whacked and I need to be on thyroid meds but can't afford it right now. Pretty soon I hope, but in the mean time I will be able to loose a bit and get healthier.

I will say I do count my calories. I use the myfitnesspal app on my phone and also online. I feel that I am this person I keep my carbs around 65 (I can't get much lower with the 2 fruits, bit of dairy, and all those veggies). My calories are usually between 1300 and 1500. Even at that level last week I only lost 4 lbs. My thyroid is whacked and I need to be on thyroid meds but can't afford it right now. Pretty soon I hope, but in the mean time I will be able to loose a bit and get healthier.

4lbs in a week is very rapid weight loss! Did you mean in a month?

I, too, have neglected my health and have some weight to lose. I'm heading to the Dr. for a physical. I guess I'm looking for a wake up call. I usually avoid the Dr., because I don't want to step on the scale! Also, I've made an appointment to meet with a registered dietician who specializes in weight loss. I need to make some lifestyle changes and family meals are the area where I need the most help. The dietician will cost $70- much cheaper than buying new clothes. In the past, I've made only temporary changes to my eating. I eat things I don't like for a temporary period of time and once the weight is off, I go back to the unhealthy foods I love.

Thank you SO much! I really think this is the best explanation I have ever read about the difference in calorie counting and carb counting.

So, if I toss out the idea of calories and instead focus on carbs, I'm still going to have to track my food, right? To determine how many carbs I'm eating a day, I mean.

Probably at first. If you prefer you can just limit high carb foods (or eliminate them). If all your carbs come from vegetables and an occasional piece of fruit, you will end up low carb without counting. If you are eating higher carb foods, you'll probably need to track them, at least for awhile, until you get used to what you can "get away with"

My big question is...how many carbs SHOULD I be eating daily? Should I split up the total by meal or is it better to eat more in the morning? I guess I am afraid I will start to eat too many lower/no carb foods, which I doubt would help with weight loss.

That is highly individual. In general, lower carbs will likely bring higher weight loss. For counting carbs, I like the Atkins approach - start very low (20g/day) and do that for a couple of weeks (or as long as you want to stay there), then slowly increase carbs, 5g/day at a time, until you reach a point where you are happy with the speed of your weight loss. When you get close to your final weight goal, increase carbs incrementally again until you stop losing weight (and decrease again if you gain).

You can split it however you want, but I prefer more carbs in the evening because my willpower is gone by then, lol. In the morning I have energy and can be satisfied easily with a very low carb meal.

Low carb foods are high in protein and fat, which trigger feelings of "fullness". Stop eating when you are full. Eat when you are hungry. Sometimes you may overindulge on low carb stuff, but then you'll feel full for hours and hours, so just wait until you're hungry to eat again. If I overdo it at a meal, I usually just skip the next one (because I'm not hungry, not out of any sense of deprivation or whatever).

Beans tend to be fairly high carb. Usually 2-3x as many carb grams as protein grams. You can eat them if you want, but you may have a hard time getting enough protein without eating a lot of carbs. Atkins does have a vegetarian plan (check their website) but it relies more on cheese and eggs for protein. The Atkins website has a lot of info and they'll mail you a "quick start guide" for free.