Menu

What is wrong with Americans...

or perhaps its just people in general. Seriously. My kids set up a drink stand today. They are trying to raise monies for bicycles for Indian pastors - not keeping any money for themselves. And...people drove by all day. One person stopped. One. I'm not into door-to-door salesmen but I will always stop and help support kids.

Luckily, they were high spirits that they earned $1.00 but I am discouraged with how flippant society is; especially when children are being totally ignored.

Were they in a place where the cars could see them in time to stop? That's my only thought and the reason why I wouldn't stop in that situation. My dc have sold drinks before at our garage sales to raise money for our church's mission work with quite a nice bit of money raised, but everyone who came were already out to go to garage sales. If garage sales are big in your area (here they are big from March until November!) maybe try again on a Saturday morning when people are already out for those activities. HTH

I can tell you that in our area, every time I try to go in Walmart or the grocery store someone is asking for money, or having a car wash. This kid's dance team, or that boy's baseball select team, D.A.R.E., plus a host of other really good causes - you feel like you have to run a gauntlet of saying "No Thanks!" constantly. If your area is similar maybe people are just burnt out. FWIW, if I had to pass your kids going in Walmart, their cause is something I couldn't say no to. I sure don't give to DARE - they are rude if you dare to not give.:001_smile:

aw, I'm sorry they didn't get more customers - I'd have bought a drink from them...I pretty much always buy lemonade/cookies/whatever from kids' stands - got a lovely cat face painted on by a couple of young girls last summer too, they'd set up a face painting stand, too cute. :)

I almost never carry cash anymore unless I am going somewhere that I know doesn't take my card or a check (like yard sales and the farmer's market). I also don't buy anything unplanned, even a $1 drink, 'cause we're on a very tight budget. We usually carry (refillable) water bottles and crackers in the car with us so we don't have to stop for snacks or meals out.

You must be so proud that your kids are rejoicing in their dollar. What grateful spirits!

or perhaps its just people in general. Seriously. My kids set up a drink stand today. They are trying to raise monies for bicycles for Indian pastors - not keeping any money for themselves. And...people drove by all day. One person stopped. One. I'm not into door-to-door salesmen but I will always stop and help support kids.

Luckily, they were high spirits that they earned $1.00 but I am discouraged with how flippant society is; especially when children are being totally ignored.

Unfortunately everyone and their brother asks for money for something. I drive by all the time and ask people to stop calling b/c we get a minimum of 5 calls/week requesting support of a cause. Kids seek funds for trips, sports, schools, scholarships, missions, etc. I finally realized that we will donate to our favorite organizations and drive by the rest. I don't mean to sound harsh, because your kids did a wonderful thing attempting to raise money for a needy group. There are just SO many needy organizations that we have to be selective.

I do feel badly for your kids. I think the world must have been, in some ways, a more interesting place for kids a generation or two ago.

However, as others have said, I do get awfully tired of being asked for money all the time. During certain seasons of the year, I can never even go into or out of the grocery store without getting hit up by some adorable child begging me for money.

In the face of the constant appeals, I've put in place a couple of basic rules for myself: I don't give money to anyone unless they are from an organization I recognize. And I don't make straight-up donations, except to certain organizations (Salvation Army, for example.) Nothing irritates me more than seeing cheerleading squads standing around outside the doors of various stores with coffee cans asking me to give them money. What ever happened to doing a car wash or some other fundraiser that required the kids, themselves, to actually put forth some effort to earn the cash?

And, speaking of cash, I rarely carry any. I do pretty much all of my shopping with a debit card. So, unless I know in advance that I will need cash for spending money, I often don't have any on me.

There may also have been a little bit of that thing they found when they put the professional violinist in the subway: No matter how wonderful the music was, people who were on their way somewhere just didn't have the time to stop and listen.

Finally, I often disappoint kids because I won't buy a product I won't use. And, given our low-refined-sugar, vegan diet, that rules out a lot. I won't buy chocolate bars or other candy, for example. I won't buy popcorn with butter or caramel. I do buy an occasional box of Girl Scout cookies, because my husband has to have his annual Thin Mints fix. But that's about it.

So, no matter how cute and sincere your kids were, I probably wouldn't have been much help to them, either. If I had seen a couple of kids who did not appear to be affiliated with an organization I recognized selling a product I didn't need and might not be able to consume, asking for cash I probably didn't have in my purse at a place and time when I was not prepared to stop and imbibe . . .

I would mean them no ill will, but I doubt I would have stopped, either.

I do applaud them (and you) for wanting to do something meaningful for a cause they believe in. I just think you may have to help them refine their methods a bit.

I *always* stop....I have bought rocks, homemade bookmarks, pictures, icee sticks and even lemonade....lemonade I wouldn't have taken a single sip from if it were the last drink on Earth...but I buy it and the smiles make it completely worth it! Perhaps I stop because I still remember how hearbreaking it is when people don't....or maybe it's just because I am the worlds biggest sucker! LOL

ETA...I have never come across a stand that was being used to collect donations...that is an awesome idea and I would probably buy 2! LOL

My parents taught me, and my dh's parents taught him to ALWAYS stop at the lemonade stands. It was pounded into us as a civic duty. ;)

I don't think I've ever seen my dh pass by a lemonade stand. He will sometimes come back for seconds. There is something very wrong about ignoring children learning to earn money.

Having said that, there is a limit. I despise the stands set out in front of Walmart with children shouting at me to give money to their football team or dance squad. Somehow it seems different.

I wish I could have driven by your children's stand! Tell them I say, "good for them!"

Jo

And one more thing. What is wrong with Americans, as you put it, is the dance teams, baseball/football/basketball teams, etc. that are tainting so many- including so many who have posted here.

When you can't see the difference between money grubbers who want to pass the burden on to neighbors for their personal entertainment and some little kids who are either just learning to earn money with a private lemonade stand in front of their house, or are trying to work to help those in need-------well then you have your answer to what is wrong with *some* Americans.

I feel your frustration, and I feel the same. I would like to think under different circumstances, different times of day (weekend), etc. you would have seen the best in your neighbors.

Jo

Isn't it great that our dc have such entrepreneurial spirits? My dc will set up some kind of "stand" in our driveway and we live on a very quiet street. Like a total of 10 cars a day pass by. If they get someone to stop that's great. But even when business is slow or absent I think some good lessons are learned:

1. New business owners expect to operate in the red for at least two years.

2. Marketing is important.

3. Product quality is important.

4. Location, location, location.

5. There is something to be said for hard work and perseverance instead of immediate gratification.

I know what you mean. My dc always set up a lemonade stand, sign and all. People kinda mosey on by. I understand that maybe people don't have time to stop, but when it's a bunch of cute kids on a mission..:confused: I guess everyone thinks that they don't need to b/c someone else will stop. I usually call dh at work,and he tells his co-workers, and they try to come by on their lunch break. If all else fail, we call nanny! That's a sure $10!

Reasons why I would not have stopped:

1. I may not have had any cash on me.

2. I can't read minds: was the reason they were raising money clear to someone driving by? Even at 25 mph, you can't necessarily read a sign that isn't clear. If there was no sign, you can't read minds, no matter how slowly you're driving by.

3. As others have said, everybody seems to be raising money for one thing or another these days. I can barely fund my own kids, let alone all the kids at church with their school fundraisers, youth group missions trips, etc.

Does this make me flippant? Am I now one of these problematic Americans who ignore children?

I'm sorry your kids didn't do better; they have a worthy cause. But society in general has changed. Neighborhoods have changed. If they set up a stand on a busy street with a lot of foot traffic, they probably would've done better. However, a lemonade stand on the sidewalk where all you get are cars racing by with tired people on their way to or from work, they're not going to stop. They want to get home to the rest of their busy day.

My dh always makes it a point to stop. He'll even turn around and go back.

I think the funniest time was when we stopped and these three boys had obviously done this on spur on the moment. They had only a little lemonade left and those huge cups like you get from a convenience store. They were so giddy after we gave me 1.00, it was fun to watch.

Sorry your kids didn't have better success.

Sunkist was giving away lemonade stands a couple months ago to use for your favorite charity. Dh ordered one and it arrived last week. Ds11 & dd7 are planning on opening it soon and to give the money to their brother's school(Ds8 goes to a special needs school) I can't think of a better or more personal charity than that. Now you all had better stop and buy some lemonade from my kids!! Just kidding:)

We make our purchasing decisions based on legitimacy of need/desire, price to value ratio, and other factors. The fact that proceeds are going to a charitable cause or are encouraging cute young budding entrepreneurs does not enter into our decision.

It's not that I *never* buy lemonade from a kid's stand; I have on a few occasions made an impulse purchase when I'd be walking on hot day. But I'm trying to teach my kids frugality and planning ahead so that is not something I'm likely to do anymore.

Charitable giving is in a totally different decision-making sphere here with its own set of criteria to be met. If we truly desire to give to the child's charitable cause, we will write a check noted "contribution" directly to the qualified charitable organziation.

Bottom line is that we do not ask others to support our own kids' causes or adventures nor do we wish to be expected to support theirs. Frankly, I find the original poster's attitude of entitlement rather offputting.

When our kids were in public and parochial schools, we did not allow them to hawk fundraising goods. Instead, again we made a charitable contribution to the school. They were, however, allowed to participate in car washes. But even then, we did not feel pressured to go to the charity car wash because honestly the drive through automatic car wash offered a much better service dollar for dollar than did the charity.

Someone else here mentioned calling husband at work so that co-workers on lunch break would purchase from kids. Our firm has very strict rules against employees (including partners) offering their children's fundraising goods or services to fellow employees, regardless of whether the transaction is actively encouraged by having kid directly offer goods to employees or completely passive as in laying out the brochures on break room table and picking them up a week or two later. The reason is that it can unintentionally create situations where employees may feel pressured to make a purchase in order to maintain good standing with supervisors or co-workers.

Fund raising is just out of control. Every time I go to the grocery, the clerk asks if I want to donate for something - it changes, but they always say "do you want to make a $5 contribution to _________"

I get solicitations constantly for donation. I've had about 6 or 8 in the last month asking me to help people with their missions trip. I don't think 13 year olds on *mission* typically help as much as just giving the money locally would, though I sometimes will contribute anyway just to be nice.

There is always someone raising something at church, bake sales at the swim club. And it's always for a worthy cause. I almost never think the purpose is bad or wrong. But it's a constant constant never ending pitch. I regularly have kids at my door wanting me to support their sports team, band, boy scouts - whatever. And often I do because I want to be supportive of my neighbor's children.

But I can easily see driving past your children thinking "I don't know them, I don't want lemonade, I already contributed to 16 things this week. No thanks."

"What's wrong with Americans?"

Wow...that seems harsh! Of course...we are the only ones that do anything wrong. :glare:

I understand that you are upset about you kids not making any money and being disappointed but I don't think you need to blame "Americans".

I guess I am the only one that found the title of your post insulting. Perhaps next time they should set their stand up in another country since we "americans" are so rude.

PS If I have the money, I always stop. And I am AMERICAN...so I guess you should not make generalizations.

What on earth does being American have to do with this alleged flippancy? I have never been applauded (or accused, as the case may be;)) of being an ueber-patriot, but one thing one thing I can say for Americans: We are a generous lot. Truly. When asked to give, we give. When asked to lend a hand, we lend a hand. People come to this country from points the world over and are impressed with the genuine friendliness and generosity we exude.

So why the lack of response to your children's drink stand? Others who replied here before me offered a myriad of valid reasons. I am one who rarely stops at drink stands either because I lack the time, the interest, the cash-on-hand ~ you name it. And in my experience, gone are the days of the true "lemonade" (as in homemade, involving-actual-work) stands. I'm not going to fork over a buck (or a quarter, for that matter) for a can of Coke or some HFCS-laced Country Time lemonade or whatever. Sure, if I clearly understood that the kids were raising money for a good cause, I'd make an intentional effort to pass by again and drop them a fiver. But I wouldn't assume everyone else understood that or had the interest in doing the same.

My guys always ask, virtually any warm, sunny day that comes along, to have a lemonade stand. Now and then I let them have one, and they know full well that the fun lies in the actual process. Very few people have ever stopped, so it's not a money-making proposition. If they were raising money for a specific cause, I'd encourage them to do something else. Then again, as others have pointed out, we live in a time where we're constantly being asked to donate to good causes, and we have to be realistic about how much we can ask of others.

I say Americans because I live in America; hence why I didn't say aliens. :)

And as far as this rep is concerned

"I don't appreciate your anti-American sentiment; in fact, I find it downright rude. What makes you feel your dc are entitled to have every person around fund their lemonade stand? Your sense of entitlement is "un-American" IMO."
I find this awfully funny because I'm currently the spouse of a deployed Sailor.

I would definitely have stopped to buy from the kids if I had cash and if I had time. If they were set up in front of your house, I think neighbors should have stopped or turned around. I think our neighbors would. Maybe your kids can try another day and see if they have better luck.

As everyone else has commented, we are bombarded on all sides with requests for donations. I like to be charitable, but I have to pick and choose. What is the cause? Do I agree with it. I wouldn't care to support Indian pastors who are trying to proselytize, however I would support a cause that is trying to feed and educate. I don't know the particulars of what your children were collecting for, so I would have to stop and ask. And then if I didn't agree with the cause (conversion?), I would say no. And honestly, it's much harder for me to say to 'no' to a child than it would be for me to say 'no' to you, an adult. So in the end to avoid all that I would probably drive on by. I guess everybody's got a cause. Sometimes I would rather buy a lemonade from a kid that just wants to raise enough money to go swimming rather than hear about another cause.

Probably makes me sound cold-hearted (I'm not), but I feel worn down by all the requests for different causes. Everyday I get a phone call asking for money for something or other.

Janet

Reasons why I would not have stopped:

1. I may not have had any cash on me.

2. I can't read minds: was the reason they were raising money clear to someone driving by? Even at 25 mph, you can't necessarily read a sign that isn't clear. If there was no sign, you can't read minds, no matter how slowly you're driving by.

3. As others have said, everybody seems to be raising money for one thing or another these days. I can barely fund my own kids, let alone all the kids at church with their school fundraisers, youth group missions trips, etc.

Does this make me flippant? Am I now one of these problematic Americans who ignore children?

I'm sorry your kids didn't do better; they have a worthy cause. But society in general has changed. Neighborhoods have changed. If they set up a stand on a busy street with a lot of foot traffic, they probably would've done better. However, a lemonade stand on the sidewalk where all you get are cars racing by with tired people on their way to or from work, they're not going to stop. They want to get home to the rest of their busy day.

I have to agree with this. We have some kids down the street who seem to have a stand out every other weekend. The kids scream at passersby and run into the road. It really discourages me from wanting to stop. The are the same neighbors that are always getting written up by the association for letting their dog run wild. I'm not saying this is how your children are but maybe other people are drawing on their negative impressions from the past and that is a problem. We also do not stop and buy lemonade or candy bars or cookies because they aren't very healthy.

I can tell you that in our area' date=' every time I try to go in Walmart or the grocery store someone is asking for money, or having a car wash. This kid's dance team, or that boy's baseball select team, D.A.R.E., plus a host of other really good causes - you feel like you have to run a gauntlet of saying "No Thanks!" constantly. If your area is similar maybe people are just burnt out. [/quote']

This is how it is here too....usually, I don't have any cash with me. I'm one of those that rarely has any because I use my debit card almost exclusively. I have to really think ahead on payday if I know I'll be going somewhere that only takes cash.

ETA: And I don't stop at car washes because usually I don't have time. If I leave my house, I have a specific destination(s) in mind and I have a time limit in mind that I want to do it in.

And as far as this rep is concerned I find this awfully funny because I'm currently the spouse of a deployed Sailor.

Then you have the opportunity to see plenty of good Americans and so maybe you could have come up with a better title for your post.

Okay. It just wouldn't have occured to me to think, in response to folks not stopping at a drink stand, "What's wrong with Americans?!" If it did indeed upset me, I likely would have thought simply, "What's wrong with people?" But of course, you did go on to say that in the opening of your original post. I think your subject line kinda threw some of us for a loop because we assumed you were going to talk about something specific to our nation or some such.

Any-hoo, I hope you can find a way to encourage your kids' enthusiasm about this project!:)

Okay. It just wouldn't have occured to me to think, in response to folks not stopping at a drink stand, "What's wrong with Americans?!" If it did indeed upset me, I likely would have thought simply, "What's wrong with people?" But of course, you did go on to say that in the opening of your original post. I think your subject line kinda threw some of us for a loop because we assumed you were going to talk about something specific to our nation or some such.

Any-hoo, I hope you can find a way to encourage your kids' enthusiasm about this project!:)

:iagree: That's what I was thinking.

as I thought of this thread. I didn't stop and I felt so guilty after reading about all the supportive neighbors here who would have. But I was running late, had no money and had three toddlers in the car who still use sippy cups. I felt very unpatriotic. LOL.