Menu

Teen boy clothing

Where to you buy clothes for your teen boy? I hate our Goodwill, so that is not an option. I hate shopping in general, so I want to go, buy a bunch of stuff that fits, and get it over with:) Even online would be okay, though I would prefer something a little thriftier.

We have pretty much every store here. Mostly we need casual clothes. In the fall, we will need nicer things.

Also, if you have a teen boy, when do you make the switch from boy clothes to Men's small? One of my 14 year olds does pretty well in the boys 14 - 16 clothes. The other often is better in a men's small, though a lot of places don't carry men's small. Sometimes I really think a men's small and a boy's extra large are about the same thing.

Aeropostale is a popular teen store. They are reasonably priced, and offer specials often online.

Kohls has good stuff, and almost ALWAYS has a sale going on. Never buy something there at regular price, it's waaay to high, and it will be on a sale in a week. Sign up to get emails...they'll send coupons to you via email that they let you use on sale items too!! Prices get really amazing then!

Old Navy, although I'm less of a fan these days.

I get his jeans at JC Penney most of the time. They carry 29x32 (which are still loose on him <eyeroll>) and I can usually get good sales, $12-20. T-shirts we get a bit of everywhere, Penneys, Kohls, speciality stores, Woot.com, etc, always on sale. The same with the few nicer shirts he has. He's not into brands on his shirts at.all, so that makes it easy.

We moved to men's when the boys' jr were too short.

He buys most of his clothes now, but I'll pick up a sale item that I know he'll like. He buys all of his shoes because they're out of my price range.

We have had some luck at plato's Closet. Do you have one nearby? After that, we head to Aeropastale. I like the shoe collection at Kohls. I find target clothing falls apart too fast. American eagle, when they have a sale, is reasonable.

We have been very frustrated this year buying clothing. My oldest is 6"4" and is in a men's large. All the clothing in that size is very wide! My ds swims in it. But his shoulders are too big for the mediums. We have had luck with the vintage cut on some items, but we still need more stuff!

My teen doesn't care anything about clothes, but we like Kohls, Old Navy, Targer, and even Walmart.

As far as sizing, it depends. Ds is long waisted and thin. He can wear a men's M in a t-shirt, but for pants he needs a boy's 16. boy's shirts are too small, men's pants are too long and big. So he straddles both departments. He's also super picky about texture and tags, so we spend a lot of time shopping in the athletic department.

We buy most of my son's stuff at JC Penney's, with occasional jeans from Old Navy. (He'd prefer Macy's, but I'm mean.) It's always hit and miss to find any pants that fit, and he makes life more interesting by wanting to dress like an old man in the 1950s. (Suits, vests, oxfords, dress pants, ties, fedoras, etc.) But we usually do pretty well at JCP.

Also, if you have a teen boy, when do you make the switch from boy clothes to Men's small? One of my 14 year olds does pretty well in the boys 14 - 16 clothes. The other often is better in a men's small, though a lot of places don't carry men's small. Sometimes I really think a men's small and a boy's extra large are about the same thing.

My son switched over gradually, first pants and then shirts, when he got too tall for boys; sizes. I think we started buying his pants in the young men's department when he was 12-ish.

From what I've seen, the difference between large boys' sizes and small men's is mostly length. My son could still wear large or extra large boys' t-shirts if they came down lower than his waist.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Most of my boys clothes come from Kohls or Target and sometimes Old Navy, my middle son likes the shorts there and their polo shirts don't shrink like others. My 16 year old shops mens sizes and my 11 year old can wear mens small or 18/20.

Aeropostale is a popular teen store. They are reasonably priced, and offer specials often online.

Kohls has good stuff, and almost ALWAYS has a sale going on. Never buy something there at regular price, it's waaay to high, and it will be on a sale in a week. Sign up to get emails...they'll send coupons to you via email that they let you use on sale items too!! Prices get really amazing then!

Old Navy, although I'm less of a fan these days.

My teen guys liike Aeropostle t-shirts and sweatshirts, and I usually get jeans and shorts from Kohl's or JC Penney's.

My guys never made a leap to men's sizes---they were sort of in between for awhile and in face my middle one still can only wear boy's size 20 dress shirts because the men's proportions don't work well for him. Most places you have to hit the stores really early to get men's smalls because they sell out quickly. Aeropostle does carry men's smalls and extra smalls. Full price is too pricey for me but they run frequent sales and you can pick things up at really good prices.

http://www.aeropostale.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=3534624

DS16 likes American Eagle jeans and Hollister shirts. Neither of which come cheap, unfortunately, though we watch for the Hollister sale online and get his jeans during the back-to-school sales. He wears a 29/30 waist and 32 inseam. For dress pants, the only ones we find that he doesn't swim in are from Gap.

We did really well at a January sale at the Gap. He fits in size 29 trousers with a belt so we can get the length in the men's section. Found shorts at Coctco. Rounded things at at TJ Max -- I found Polo shirts for $5 to$10. He is really well dressed now! He wears my husbands shoes for dresser things! The look on DH' s face is classic.:lol:

Where to you buy clothes for your teen boy? I hate our Goodwill, so that is not an option. I hate shopping in general, so I want to go, buy a bunch of stuff that fits, and get it over with:) Even online would be okay, though I would prefer something a little thriftier.

We have pretty much every store here. Mostly we need casual clothes. In the fall, we will need nicer things.

Aeropostale is inexpensive for clearance items, Kohls, Target sometimes. Wherever I find a good deal.

Marshall's and TJ Maxx are always a first stop.

I get Wranglers and athletic shorts for 2 teen ds's at walmart. I just go and buy it--they like it this way because we all hate shopping. Thank goodness for those basketball style shorts that go down to the knee! Ds1 wears a medium but he's so tall that normal medium shorts are too short on him. I usually get their shirts at Kohls because they have tall sizes. Ds2 can still fit in regular sizes but ds1 must have talls. We usually get their shoes at Kohls too. Shoes are the only clothing items they must come shopping with me for. Otherwise I just grab what I think will work--they're not particularly picky nor concerned about being stylish.

Both switched to men's sizes in their early teens--my guys are tall. Ds1 had the hardest transition because he's slimmer so for a year or two we had trouble finding pants that were 29" waist. But he suddenly grew around 15yo and now he's 34 x 34! Ds2 went straight from a boy's 16 to men's 32 around 12yo. The 32 is still a bit large for him but not overly so. It's a bit loose, but he doesn't even need to use a belt.

We have had some luck at plato's Closet. Do you have one nearby? After that, we head to Aeropastale. I like the shoe collection at Kohls. I find target clothing falls apart too fast. American eagle, when they have a sale, is reasonable.

We have been very frustrated this year buying clothing. My oldest is 6"4" and is in a men's large. All the clothing in that size is very wide! My ds swims in it. But his shoulders are too big for the mediums. We have had luck with the vintage cut on some items, but we still need more stuff!

Even the sales aren't cheap but JCrew talls are cut slimmer. My ds fits in a med long, he's not quite as tall as your son. I have to say they look better on him than anything else we've purchased.

I don't enjoy shopping either. My son is fine with American Eagle items. We've seemed to have figured out his size there for most items. They often have very good sales. He gets these items new at B'days and holidays. We do have a very good second hand place near us, but I always look for the AE items, since I know how they run, size-wise for my teen boy.

Kohl's, Target.

Ds likes logo or other "specialty" t-shirts, so we pick those up randomly at various places. He got a Life of Fred t-shirt in his Easter basket, thanks to these boards. :D With money he got for Easter, he bought himself a shirt with "I reject your reality and substitute my own" quote from Mythbusters.

Yes, I guess he fits in well with homeschoolering stereotypes, haha.

DS12 (13 next month) is in Men's sizes and has been for about a year or more. Right now he's 32x31 in pants and a medium in shirts. I wish we lived closer to a Plato's Closet.... we've never been to one and the nearest is 2.5 hours away and not in a section that we frequent (so I forget to go even if we are in town..)

This season he is wearing some tees that I got on sale this winter from Hollister. He also likes Aeropostale and American Eagle (I prefer AE, due to quality but usually find more frequent sales at Aeropostale.) For shorts we've done a combination of Walmart and JCPenney. We bought some shorts at Old Navy and then discovered they were not the longer shorts, but a boxy short (think mens shorts of the 80's), it's not a flattering look on DS and he hates it. I ended up taking them back. He prefers plaid or solid twill and he doesn't want cargo pockets. It can be "slim pickins" so we have snapped up anything we found. I will probably also buy him some of the solid color tees at AE, I've bought them for DH and they have held up well/were inexpensive/seem a little dressier than the graphic tees.

I've found shopping in the men's section to be somewhat depressing.

Everything we have bought at Aeropostale falls apart. I won't shop there anymore.

Hollister and Abercrombie have had everything on sale since Christmas. At Christmas time the whole store was 50% off. We have gotten shirts as cheap as $7.

We also shop at American Eagle.

Sears also has a pretty good selection.